Xanterra Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Andrew N Todd

Pros
  • Living in Yellowstone National Park is one of the best things you'll do in your life (in 21 reviews)

• Meeting people is by far the best part of this (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in a national park is supposed to supplement ridiculously low wages (in 7 reviews)

• The worst about living and working here, is the living conditions are not nearly ideal (in 5 reviews)

1. Trail Ridge Store in RMNP

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Estes Park, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Estes Park, CO

I worked at Xanterra

Pros

Working at Trail Ridge Store was an exciting summer gig for fresh college graduates and wanderers in all walks of life. There was true sense of community, and happy hour pints were not only encouraged but expected. Living in a national park is simply good for the soul.

Cons

Although most employees are lovely people with interesting stories to tell, tourists can be downright obnoxious. You would think that families on vacation would be happier than families stuck in the suburbs, but this is not always the case. Americans like their comfort and tend not to behave well in unfamiliar contexts.

Advice to Management

Management should be careful to have back up employees available for hire halfway through the summer months. The turnover rate for park jobs is not incredibly high, but it is inevitable that young people will occasionally throw in the towel to look for other work. Instead of forcing other employees to take overtime, it would be in the management's best interest to bring new workers on board ASAP rather than ignoring that the store is short-staffed.

2. laundry truck driver

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the people are great. supervisors are awesome.

Cons

not near my family .looking to get back into warehouse/factory work.

Advice to Management

let me do what I'm capable of doing. I'm always ready with input and suggestions to help things run smoother.

3. Internal Guest Standards Need Improvement

I worked at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Great Food and Beverage Management Training Program. The park wide Food and Beverage Management Team are fantastic to work with and for.

Cons

Mid level management in Food and Beverage were not as pleasant to work for. In a place where guest service is the main concern the mid level management in many areas of the park seem to have lost sight of the fact that the employees working for them are also guests and should be treated with honesty, courtesy and respect.

Advice to Management

To the Core Management Food and Beverage Team, please pay closer attention to how your Food and Beverage Managers are treating their employees. Xanterra is a great company to work for and there is no place more beautiful than Yellowstone National Park to work and play. Encourage mid-level managers to put into play the same Extraordinary Guest Service Standards for the Internal Guests (employees) as they are trained and expected to treat all other guests.

Housekeeper

I worked at Xanterra full-time

Pros

The park was fun. The wildlife was exciting. The trees were beautiful. You get to live in Yellowstone. The employees that are your age are fun.

Cons

The management was terrible. The food was terrible. You don't get off when you want off, or who you want off with. Your schedule is random and they do not care unless you are friend with the management.

Advice to Management

Get out.

6. I loved working for Xanterra

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yes, you get to work in a National Park, but it's more than that. You get discounted rooms and board, great food at the EDR (employee dining room), recreational activities, and so much more. I loved working for Xanterra, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I really don't understand where so many negative reviews are coming from, and I believe it's due to the fact that when some employees come they really believe they will have free range, and can work whenever they want. They are EMPLOYING you, so you have to WORK, but there was always plenty of time to look around and hike to your hearts content! Don't listen to all the negative reviews. Just understand when you come to Yellowstone, you will work hard, and play hard too. Where else can you do that?! And FYI, I had awesome managers in Reservations, both seasons I was in Yellowstone, and when I worked for corporate!

Cons

You do sometimes have several roommates, and sometimes personalities clash. Same with management, not everyone will always get along, but overall I think they try really hard given the sheer number of employees they employ.

7. Kingsmill Resort, Not worth your time or effort

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All staff mid-management and below are hard workers and a joy with which to work.

Cons

Upper management is 55+ white and male, lack of diversity among management, afraid of different opinions and ideologies. Expectation is 50+ hours every week with no days off some weeks Sorry excuse for health benefits F&B accrue sick time, but no way to use it.

Overall a little disappointing

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Newbury, OH
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Newbury, OH

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to stay at state park for free if they have vacancy

Cons

Lack of management support very hard to to do daily job

Advice to Management

Care more about staff retention

9. You get what you give.

I have been working at Xanterra full-time

Pros

Little to no commute, annual raises, inexpensive living

Cons

Housing isn't the best (i.e. dorm style), HR/Management doesn't always back employees, high turnover

Advice to Management

One of our core values is Candor...please learn what that means!

hit or miss...

Current Employee - Grand Canyon Employee in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Current Employee - Grand Canyon Employee in Grand Canyon, AZ

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

life's simple. you can get your life back together if you're on a low.

Cons

for the most part they treat people like dog poop.

Advice to Management

care!

11. Fooled J-1 Visa student

Former Employee - Room Attendant in Yellowstone, WI
    Former Employee - Room Attendant in Yellowstone, WI

I worked at Xanterra part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- friendly atmosphere among coworkers - mesmerising scenery of National Park

Cons

- terrible hours management (company's management overhired students who in result had very little working time and low salary), - high management pressure to finish earlier, - low wages and high costs of dining which was an obligatory cost, - low quality of Employee Dining Food, - little changes of being promoted.

RSS Feed </> Embed