Xanterra Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
102 reviews filtered by
2.6
Andrew N Todd

Pros
  • uh living in a national park of course, meeting amazing people (in 21 reviews)

• Meeting people from all around the world, very fun, great people-skills building (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work as a cafeteria worker or similar low pay grade positions, the winter will suck (in 8 reviews)

• Since the location of the national park is far away from big cities, you probably just get stuck in the park for the whole summer (in 7 reviews)

1. A good start

I have been working at Xanterra

Pros

cool place
    good values
    good training
    a lot of ways to advancements

Cons

low pay
    live at work

2. Beautiful places to work.

Current Contractor - Fast Food Crew, Prep Cook, E-cafe Attendant in Zion National Park, UT

I have been working at Xanterra as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful places to get paid living in. Most employees are respectful. Sometimes great food.

Cons

No tv. A lot of drinking. Dorms could be better. Won't hire you back if you have to break your contract three times.

Listen to the lower level employees. Hire back some one who quit over 8 yrs ago.

3. Not Bad

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Canyon Village, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Canyon Village, AZ

I worked at Xanterra

Pros

You get to live in a national park, when I was at the Grand Canyon rent was $15/week and meals at the Employee cafe were about $2. You can earn a lot of money because you will most likely be working a lot of overtime. There is plenty to see and do and since you are living there, you will get the change to do it all.

Cons

You are there to work and in the summer months, you WILL work your butt off. I worked 60/hrs a week with one day off a week and many times I would get the first day off one week and the last day off the next week, so I would be working 13 days straight for 10-12 hours a day.

Pay more then minimum wage

5. If youre young you should do it.

Current Employee - Dining Room Server in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Current Employee - Dining Room Server in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Good Community, you will have a lot of fun

Cons

Awful management, easy to be fired, hard hours, rangers hound employees.

I was embarrassed to work there.

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Canyon, AZ

I worked at Xanterra

Pros

Living in a national park, able to save $$$, meeting people from around the world.

Cons

Being counted on to do 2 employees work, very unintelligent management, When the g.m of the resort brings the c.e.o of the resort into the area for a visit not knowing of a roach problem!! Hope he enjoyed breakfast.

hire a exterminator

7. Good and bad...

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Grand Canyon, AZ
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Grand Canyon, AZ

I worked at Xanterra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy to transfer between departments to gain experience, great opportunity to work with people from all over the world and from all walks of life

Cons

terrible pay, terrible housing department, employees that shouldn't have lasted a week somehow last for years because management is afraid to get rid of them and stir the pot

Upper management is pretty clueless for the most part. They will hire managers for units based solely on education, not experience. Granted, it can be great when a person has the degree to back up the job, but often this does not translate to a great manager! For example, I saw many housekeeping managers with zero work experience outside of an office...they had no knowledge of how a housekeeping department ran nor cared to learn! This resulted in very poorly ran units, with the entry level employees often being stuck doing managerial duties that their manager did not know how to do.

Fun job, but company does not care about employees.

Former Employee - Wrangler in Yellowstone, WI
    Former Employee - Wrangler in Yellowstone, WI

I worked at Xanterra part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with horses in Yellowstone National Park. It hardly felt like work!

Cons

The company does not care about their employees. They overcharge for food and housing, pay is low, workman's compensation is a joke! If the company put more care into their employees, they wouldn't have problems filling-and keeping positions filled.

9. Worst Company

I worked at Xanterra

Pros

I got to live in Yellowstone

Cons

Literally everything the company ever did

Try caring about your employees

Resume Builder

I have been working at Xanterra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are available to work the whole season and have interest in gaining experience this is a great place to work. I've worked for the company for many years starting as a server and have moved into various management positions. I've gotten regular feedback from many of my direct supervisors and have been given the opportunity to grow because of it. I started with the company not really having any experience and am confident in my ability to do the same positions in the "real world" and have the experience to get the position in the first place.

Beyond that and perhaps more importantly, I have met people that I will be friends with forever. I can travel all over the country and the world and have free places to stay and free tour guides because of the various people you meet working in Yellowstone. Moreover, this place is beautiful!!! The hiking, floating, kayaking, fishing, camping etc. possibilities are endless. I joined the 100 mile hiking club that the Rec Department sponsors and ended up doing over 200 miles that first year.

The other thing that I appreciate is that there are all walks of life here. Someone for everybody. Musicians coming together for open-mic night or the talent shows, hikers coming together over mountains, WOW enthusiasts coming together over dungeons and dragons in the dorm lobbies (sorry if I didn't get the lingo right.) People of all ages coming together for a walk on the boardwalk, birthday parties at the employee pub, or just reading a book and drinking a glass of wine on the mezzanine and Roosevelt porch. I think it's a really great opportunity and it doesn't get dark here in the summer until after 9:00pm which gives you even more time to play.

Cons

So the cons are, they don't let you just come out here and experience Yellowstone... they want you to work too. They're pretty good at getting you two days off in a row but some parts of the season can be short-staffed. Usually that's in the beginning of the season when it's pretty cold or at the end when I can use the extra hours and the extra money anyway.

The Employee Dining Room (EDR) can be hit or miss, truthfully speaking, but they try hard and there's always the salad bar and sandwich bar and at least I don't have to cook. or burn things rather. They'll let you grab boxed lunches at the EDR on your weekends for camping trips or hikes (or if you're just too lazy to walk over there from the dorms.

There is no TV and the internet is spotty. No way you could stream a Netflix but you might be able to grab a quick Skype session.

I came with my friend so I didn't have to worry about getting a roommate but I could see how having to room with someone new could be hard to handle.

The pay isn't really competitive but people know how much they'll be making before coming out here so can decide whether or not it's worth it to them to make the trek.

There's not a lot of transportation beyond the occasional rec trip so if you have a car - I say bring it. If you don't, make friends with people who do or practice your hitchhiking skills. Normally, I wouldn't suggest it but hitchhiking is a common practice in Yellowstone among employees and I have never heard of anything happening within the park.

If you've never worked in the park, keep an open mind. You're own experience will definitely help you but seasonal work is a hole 'nother beast. Be open to change and be flexible with your expectations.

If you work here, remember that for many people this is their first time in the park/ first time away from home/ first time with you as a manager etc. Be available and hospitable and that will take you far.

Yellowstone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra

Pros

You are the only people who get to live in a National Park.
    I had a good manager and assistant managers that cared about me and my experiences with the park.
    Work was fun when there was enough help.
    I had a chance to be interviewed for a management position the following summer.

Cons

This company cares only about profits, and they do not care about our personal lives. They often can be heard saying "You are here to work" when I complained about working 21 days in a row in September through October because the higher ups at the location made us due to lack of help. My managers had too also, this decision was made on a level above them. I am sure the people who made that decision only had to work 5 days a week.
    Employee provided food is greasy.

Hire enough people or do not fire everyone, so that there is enough help at the end of the season.