Xantrion

Xantrion Co-Founder & President Anne Bisagno
Anne Bisagno

System Administrator

I worked at Xantrion

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Oakland isn't the best place to work

Everything is just done right.

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Problems get solved on the first call most of the time. The tools are the best in the industry and everyone is very knowledgeable and professional. All of these work together, to create something more than the sum of its parts. The majority of the more experienced personnel are telecommuting or at a client, not sitting around the office.

Cons

It is very hard to look good when there are so many excellent coworkers, it can be hard to stand out.

Very happy

Current Employee - Help Des
    Current Employee - Help Des

I have been working at Xantrion full-time

Pros

I have been with Xantrion for roughly 6 months and started at the lowest entry level. The management rewards performance and work ethic, and I have been very satisfied with the pace of advancement. The office environment is upbeat and productive, and I enjoy the projects and workload on a day to day basis. Upper management appears to listen well to the service level management, as new hires have been made when they are needed. Consultants are accessible and very easy to work with from a help desk standpoitn.

Cons

Entry level salary is not necessarily as high as San Francisco outfits providing similar services, but there is well defined and fast paced room for advancement so I don't have any concerns on this front.

Best place to be an IT Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team, everyone pitches in, everyone cares about serving the client. Management actually makes the decision to stop serving unreasonable clients. The company adjusts to changing times and is growing, continuing to build out our hosting and VDI business. I'm given a lot of flexibility in terms of when, where and how to accomplish my job.

Cons

There can be some late nights. As with any job its not all roses

Having the right people to work with is super important, don't compromise here.

Fast paced and challenging.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of our clients are awesome to work with in terms of nice office space and personality. There is a variety of work that can be taken on for a variety of client and their industries. Often issues worked on vary drastically from one to the other which adds a bit of spice to the day. The days go by very quickly here. Most of the guys here are fun to interact with. Paycheck never bounces. Health benefits are TRUE benefits as there are zero deductions to pay for them. At other places you have to buy health insurance out of your paycheck which doesn't sound like a real benefit.

Cons

Due to the sheer volume of work, there isn't a very good hand off, tour process for non primary engineers. A little bit of chatter about client personalities is OK. Some of the guys carry on a bit much which is unprofessional. The non urgent/frivolous reply to all email blasts are annoying.

If we have a budget please hire a couple of guys or at least replace the ones who left.

Great Company to Work For!!!

Current Employee - Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Top Reasons Why Xantrion is the best Company to Work For:

1) Great pay
    2) Amazing benefits
    3) People you actually like to work with and all of whom are more than happy to help each other
    4) Centrally located in the Bay Area and easily accessible to Bart
    5) Great people again!
    6) They push you to better your career by offering and paying for training
    7) There is plenty of room for growth
    8) Did I say the people are great to work with?
    9) Fun company functions
    10) Great people once again!

Cons

You have to dress up... :)

Keep up the good work!

Slightly above average

Current Employee - IT in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - IT in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are, for the most part, very willing to help and lend a hand when you need it.
    People tend to hang out outside of work which is cool, I'm not so into that but I think it's a good thing
    Opportunity to get promoted seems to be pretty good as long as you work hard and know your stuff
    Owners truly care about us and not just the bottom line
    Great place to learn and hone your IT skills for sure

Cons

Some of the management personnel have no idea what they are doing and it's very obvious
    Less top down "yes men" answers would be nice,
    When you need an escalation source to go to, sometimes it doesn't exist
    Mediocrity (not in technical skills or job performance) feels almost encouraged here. People are allowed to show up late every day, mess around getting coffee, etc. for 20 minutes before they start working.

Be more involved and proactive instead of being reactive and just putting out fires when they arise. Hold people to a higher standard

Best Place to Grow as an IT Professional in the Bay Area

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Xantrion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Results Only Work Environment. Autonomy. Open Door Policy to Management. Opportunities for Growth. Great Team Members. Projects that incorporate bleeding edge technology.

Cons

Only negative was the location of HQ. As a Senior Consultant, this did not effect me so much as I was only in the office on occasion.

Opportunity for advancement within the company

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the time that I’ve worked for Xantrion I’ve held a number of different positions.--That’s one of the things I like most about this company, there’s plenty of room for upward mobility for highly motivated people. If you work hard and are invested in your work/clients/the company, it will be recognized and you will be rewarded/promoted. Xantrion is a performance based company, and is still small enough/personal enough that you won’t get “lost in the crowd” where your efforts and skills go unnoticed (or are deliberately overlooked due to “company politics”).

Cons

In my experience, IT related work generally requires “putting in the hours” and working after hours.

Great place to start career in I.T. with plenty of oppurtunity

Current Employee - Service Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started work as a Xantrion Tier 1 Helpdesk Technician in February of 2011. This is Xantrion’s entry level technical position. With only about 6 months previous experience under my belt I found the type of work challenging and fast paced. Though at times the work was difficult, I was able to become successful in my role mostly because of the high caliber and quality people I was surrounded by. Xantrion staff is a limitless resource of IT experience coming from a wide range of backgrounds. The management team also has a strong understanding of the systems they support and are often available assist when needed.
    As a Helpdesk Technician I was exposed to many different systems, my experience and skillset began to broaden. Fixing Microsoft Windows and Office problems, working in Active Directory, Exchange and managing security permissions were some of the more common tasks. Xantrion provided all the tools that were required for me to do my job well. I was also allowed to resolve issues as I saw fit, there were very few restrictions on what I could and couldn’t do. I also had bi-monthly 1on1 meetings with my manager where he would share feedback and I was given counseling. This was very helpful in keeping me on track.
    After performing well for about 18 months I was recognized as a possible fit for an opening at the Service Manager level. I interviewed for the position along with 2 other internal candidates and was given the position.
    Over the course of 2 years my salary has increased had increased about 50% from where I started. These increases came at the end of each year and at the time of my promotion.

Cons

High volume of user requests that are often high urgency. Sometimes can add a bit of stress.