Xcel Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Somewhat resistant and slow to change"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Unpaid overtime can sometimes be too much, especially for certain departments"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive salary, benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k, personal time off

ConsCompany locations are spread out

Great workplace and environment

GIS Data Integrity Editor (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsFriendly employees and good place to work hands down.
Management is very good and doesn't micro-manage
Location of the office is easily accessible and plenty of off street parking

ConsLength of employment is not consistent or steady unless offered a permanent position withing the company

Decent place to work at.

Lineman (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay, Work environment, Safety, and benefits, 401k

Conscommute, rules, management, Schedule, travel

Advice to Senior ManagementLook out for your employees

Decent paying job in a low-stress environment; not a place for the ambitious / impatient

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Proscommensurate salary with decent benefits, good coworkers, job security

Conslack of ability to move up, lots of people content with mediocrity

don't work here as a non-union employee; I hope to leave soon.

Non Union (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is decent. Job very stable. Does have a pension plan but honestly not worth a lot of money - a decent 401k somewhere else would be just as good.
Work is interesting, often challenging. Lots of freedom to explore various technical solutions, and implement them. Lots of variety in work. Lots of responsibility in your specific area of expertise.

ConsBenefit package sucks. Deductible so high you basically only have insurance for a catastrophic event. Pay lower than similar utilities. They constantly tell you that your pay and benefits are "comparable" - like if they say it enough you'll start to believe it.
No chance for advancement/promotion based on merit - it is only about putting in the time(10,15 years). Will not happen before that no matter what.
Duties/compensation vary significantly from area to area...some people doing much more than others with the same title/position/compensation. No correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities. Does not matter how much you do or how well you do it - if you do nothing you'll maybe get 0.3-0.5% lower raise than someone who is exceptional. Basically no reward for hard work/success.
Union employees are pampered, non union treated like galley slaves. I've seriously seen union guys spend the entire day surfing the net; non union spend the day working as hard as they can(working through lunch/no breaks) - yet the union guys are paid more.
Upper management seems to only care about the value of the stock bonus they are getting. They shift budgets around constantly, often deferring much needed maintenance, solely to pad the books so they can keep the stock price up.
Very much a mentality of anyone is replaceable. Several times very skilled people have left and they simply pile their workload on their overworked coworkers who just haven't left yet.
I knew of an operations manager who left one of the power plants. Took quite a while to replace him - in part because the CEO had to approve refilling the position! Really? How many layers of management do you need? I think there at least 5 or 6 layers above me. Upper management seems to have no understanding of how electricity is actually made/distributed; they are just a bunch of accountants. Lots of half-truths. Management is constantly stressed/freaking out about the latest whatever.
Many of the old employees seem to have spent their entire life at Xcel - and don't know anything else. Makes them blind to many of the internal problems. They don't know that things could be better - and so nothing changes for the better.
Hugely bloated company. Many of the support organizations have forgotten their true purpose(support) and instead create so many internal processes that it makes it nearly impossible to get something done when working with them(especially the contract/sourcing group). The IT group is stuck 15 years in the past. Often have to convert files from other companies so you can open them in your antiquated software. Decent hardware but so full of company spy/control/bloatware that you waste a lot of time just waiting for the computer systems to respond. Supposedly going to be upgrading in the next year or so.
Constant pressure to make everything a capital project. Will pour huge amounts of cash into anything that is "capital" but freak out about the smallest non-capital expenditure. Waste obscene amounts of money at times, then freak out about fixing small things.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like you actually care. Pay skilled non-union at least as well as the union employees. Reward good performance and get rid of the losers. Maybe allow the holy "earnings per share" to drop a bit so we can actually fix the plants.
Don't postpone our bonuses to try and play the "we're out of money" card with the union.

Some bureaucracy, but overall a good place to work

Purchased Power Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI got to move around and try three different positions in five years. Lateral moves are easy (much easier than getting in from the outside). Very green company and really nice people.

ConsLots of layers of approval hierarchy above me. Quite a bit of politics but I suppose that is to be expected with an 11000 employee company who is regulated and publicly traded.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave trust in some of the more junior staff for making decisions. Have them justify it but don't dive in and micro manage after the fact. Provide opportunities for external folks as well as internal folks.

Good place for your later years

Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and a high level of job security

ConsLower than average pay and slow process to climb the ladder

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to the future, you are going to become a dinosaur

LooN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood starting salary, well known company, provides required service. Many of the people are hard working, dedicated, and very nice.

ConsVery little advancement opportunity, lots of nepotism, favoritism. Bonuses are a factor of who you know, not what you do. Many hard workers not rewarded, many golden boys skate by easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to employee input, don't be such a top down closed group. Could be more responsive to customer needs and wants instead of just complying with what commissions make them do.

Mixed

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy most vivid memories of Xcel will always be of the hugely intelligence, fun people I worked with for more than 20 years. I was given slow, but steady advancement during the time I worked there, and there was usually an adequate incentive bonus (only during the time I was a full employee anyway!), and usually there were adequate benefits. For the most part, the workplace was laid back and easy, and the workforce was usually diverse and fun to be a part of. As a card-carrying geek, I might have stood out from some of my crowd sometimes, but I was never led to believe that it was in a bad way. People accepted me into their groups simply for my contribution to our community's success.

Those of us in Minneapolis (2013 Summer) know what we went through with the worst weather assault on our grid ever, and we know what this colossal dinosaur or a company was able to mobilize and accomplish over the course of 3-4 days. When you work at the company through a disaster like that, and you accomplish what Xcel accomplished in less than a week, you really feel like you're doing God's work.

Cons* Not all Xcel work environments are created equal. The downtown Minneapolis headquarters is somnolent and stifling. You never know when you might share the elevator with a CEO, and you know he'll never speak to you. The service centers, however, have a much more laid back, democratic air about them.
* All of IT should be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up. There has been more than a decade of neglect therein, and nothing would be better for it than a good torch.
* Like so many enterprises, the relationship between IT and the Business must be rebuilt anew. There are so few formal ties between those two entities, it is no wonder they seldom complement each other these days.
* Xcel Energy is beholden to jurisdictions that include cities, towns, eight states, and the federal government. It's hard to turn around in that environment without bumping into some government geek or other that wants to tell you what to do. Not all geeks are created equal either. Some folks in the government can be really annoying. On the other hand, as we discovered (Mpls 2013 Summer), some folks in your local utility can really get you out of a jam in a hurry.
* If you throw yourself into this mix, make sure you have a champion: someone who knows what you do, values it, and can explain to others what you are worth. Without that you will go nowhere!

Advice to Senior Management* Do something with IT!
* Get rid of the current, stupid employee review setup (IPAD)!
* Forget incentive pay. Just pay people what they are worth!
* Fix your worthless health benefits. For several years now people have been self-insuring under the current worthless plan.
* Re-analyze your investment in shuffling your MBAs around the company. This is such an obvious problem that it has become a joke amongst the rank-and-file. You seem to be searching for a place for these "average talents" (that you have perhaps mistakenly hireds) to eventually be successful. Perhaps you would have be better off just finding some excellent talent to begin with.
* Re-organize Marketing, Market Research, and Account Management from the bottom up. Marketing needs a new outlook from top to bottom. The buyer-seller situation has changed completely in the last decade, but there has been little new talent there for two decades past. I suspect the requisite talent in that department is missing these days.

Overall a good big company.

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people, good benefits, opportunity to be in different roles.

ConsLots of corporate politics at the leadership level, organizations changes every 2 years like clockwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be less introverted and get to know employees at all levels.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xcel Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xcel Energy CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Xcel Energy employees.