Xcel Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Somewhat resistant and slow to change"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Unpaid overtime can sometimes be too much, especially for certain departments"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

How they keep the lights on I do not know

Rather Not Say (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsOther they receiving my pay check (however they did take out the wrong states income tax....)' no pros....

ConsWay too many, no organization, too tied up in internal does and fonts, I didn't feel at comfortable, as if it was a big lie....

Advice to Senior ManagementBuck up and stop playing just lip service to the systems that you have in place.....

Good place to be.

Intern (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood pay, a lot of good, friendly people to work with. Overall happy to be there.

ConsA lot of bureaucratic nonsense that comes from being a big company. Really good at collecting data and information. Not so good at actually doing anything with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit some of the unnecessary busy paperwork.

Good

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay & benefits, opportunity to move in to other positions & cross train. Fantastic people to work with who are very committed to what they do, but still know how to enjoy life.

ConsSeverely lagging in technology. Computer software is upwards of 10 years old and changes are slow to come. Clear division in the bargaining and non-bargaining employees, with occasional resentment between the groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Xcel's workforce becomes younger, it's imperative that the company commits to becoming more technologically advanced for all employees, not just executives. Additionally, just because someone does amazingly in their role does not mean that they will be an equally amazing manager. Too many poor managers exist and the company is reluctant to do anything about it because we don't want to lose their expertise in other aspects of the business. Find them different roles.

Excellent place to work, advance, do great things, and make a great wage

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Advancement opportunities are limitless
-Strong commitment to leadership development, training, benchmarking and eduction
-Strong salary and benefits package
-Diverse work opportunities in many different fields/locations
-Company has been very stable in these rough economic times
-Current CEO pushes technology advancement for sites
-Company has a diverse energy portfolio and green (solar, wind and nuclear)
-Impressive Chief Nuclear Officer, who is making some positive changes for the nuclear fleet

Cons-Numerous union organizations that oftentimes, don't care about anything other than taking the company for everything they can. They are disappointing to me in that I see so many examples of them taking advantage of any situation without actually putting much of any work into it.
-Management churn has been occurring at an increased rate the past few years
-Management span of control is stretched oftentimes which leads to inefficiencies
-Can require LONG stretches of unpaid overtime for non-union staff and management

Advice to Senior Management-Union has too much control, is not efficient and is overpaid compared to non-union Xcel staff doing the same thing. Something serious needs to be done before we are price ourselves out of business
-HR has far too few Consultants (meaning 1) to help all levels of management and staff at each location, which is not efficient.
-Corporate HR has too much control yet is far out of touch with what actually goes on outside of corporate.
-Site Finance Departments SO often seems penny wise and pound foolish and not very helpful to management. In the long run, a better run site finance is necessary and will pay for itself in no time.
- Maintaining a positive and healthy work culture is extremely important. Reinforce with VPs, & senior leadership team that a demeaning, cut-throat, intimidating culture will lead to inefficiency, poor moral and staff & management churn. Some plant managers/directors really think they are supreme beings and just plain rude! When in fact, they are the reason for the staff/management churn.

Xcel

Testing Technician (Current Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy for more than a year

Prospay is beter than most other places

Consopertunity to move up in out group not good

Advice to Senior Managementna

Good people, good work, good pay

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent pay and benefits and total compensation.

ConsSow to change, technology lagging behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster

Good people, stable company, nothing new

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone (within a service territory anyway) is Xcel's customer, which allows the company broad access and influence to a wide array of local and state economic/political/business issues that you might not see at other more nationally diverse companies. The utility industry is the most complex and interesting industry I've ever been a part of.

The day to day culture is pretty laid back but professional. Personal freedom without people hawking over your every move. Generally management is pretty tolerant of personal styles and preferences. You don't have to drink the Kool-Aid and preach the gospel to work there.

Progressive (for a utility) environmental policies and achievement.

Good people, very salt-of-the-earth type. Good work/life balance. Nobody is working 60 hour weeks here. Very stable workplace. I've never heard of layoffs happening. Even to get fired, you really have to screw up for a long time to make that happen.

ConsXcel tries and tries to paint itself as innovative and forward thinking, but consistently falls flat. It's business systems and capabilities are so far behind pace that even when they do have a specific initiative they're excited about, it fails because the current technologies in place aren't capable enough and the new technologies don't integrate with systems from the 80's (not really, but old).

Everything is very beaurocratic and slow moving, which I attribute to the fact that it's such a heavily regulated business. You can't just go changing how you do business because often you'll have to get a law/regulation/ruling changed first. But that carries over into the non-regulated parts of the business as well. Often time it feels like you have to get an approval from your manager just to get an approval from the approval committee, which is already santioned by the approval board.

Overall, I compare the culture at Xcel to General Motors in the 1990's/early 2000's. No real innovation or ability to adapt. But there is also that whole government sanctioned monopoly thing, which is helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your business systems, they really are the worst.

Don't use so many contractors for such long periods of time. It might not be illegal, but it sure isn't fair or healthy for morale.

Get rid of your entire HR group, top to bottom, and start over. They add zero value to the entire staffing process from hiring to firing to recruiting.

Continue investing in being an environmental leader.

Occassionally flex your political muscle. Too often you role over and take what's given.

So far so good

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for less than a year

Prosvery good place for advancement, really make you feel involved and important

Conscall center has varying shifts, which sucks and makes planning vacations difficult. and they wont work around other work schedules at all, or any other schedules besides school.

Advice to Senior Managementcould really use more steady hours. would be nice to have a set schedule.

Excellent benefits, lower pay

Senior Internal Auditor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHigh level of job security, defined benefit pension plan, good health care benefits, and good amount of vacation time per year.

ConsLower pay than similar careers in different industries. In the finance area, many groups work mandatory weekends at month/quarter/year end.

If you are straight out of college or about to retire this is the place for you

Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

ProsLots of vacation time, easy to move departments, pension, and stability (rarely have layoffs and hard to get fired).

ConsCatastrophic insurance (single person's deductible is 3000K)-this is ok if you don't have a chronic condition or need insurance, forced to use a mail order pharmacy, no innovation-over half the company is over 50 years old and have been there their entire lives. They have never worked anywhere else. So their attitude is this is the way I have been doing it for 30 years and this is the way I will do it. There are a large amount of people over 65 yeras old. This is ok, except a majority of them do not like to use computers, so everything is on paper. Many of my counterparts just surf the web all day! If you liked to be challenged this is not the place for you. BUT it doesn't matter to the company, because it is paid by the public, whether they have overhead, duplicate jobs, or people who do not provide value. Also, you have to work with people who should be fired. Lower then average pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your technology. This will improve your service to your customers (accurate billing) and the people who should retire will. There are too many people riding the gravy train waiting to retire.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xcel Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xcel Energy CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Xcel Energy employees.