Xcel Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Somewhat resistant and slow to change"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Unpaid overtime can sometimes be too much, especially for certain departments"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Opportunity

Intern (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy as an intern for less than a year

ProsSmart people, good pay/benefits, interesting work, and a stable work environment. I would definitely recommend working here

ConsNot too many negatives. Somewhat resistant and slow to change. Already an industry leader but could be better. Hiring process needs to be faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on the path of progressive safety methods, modernizing the culture, and focus on renewables. I am really happy with the direction of the company.

Excellent workplace with great benefits.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPositive workplace environment with outstanding leadership. Open for job promotion when opportunities arise.

ConsLocation is downtown Minneapolis, MN. Very accessible by Metro Transit System, but parking very expensive.

Everything you would expect from working at a utility

Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSolid, stable, predictable. Most folks seem to do only 9-5 so there's plenty of time for work-life balance. Good people, passionate about what they do. Occasionally innovative.

ConsThe culture is slow as molassess. Partly a result of the industry, but partly due to an aversion to take risks on anything. Lack of a competitive market leads competitive people to play internal political games with no real end. Seriously weak IT systems. Rampant use of antiquated technology. E.G. Windows NT.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on something. Anything. Stop passing the buck. Start encouraging mistakes.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Security, Good Pay for Amarillo, Flexible

Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, time off and flexibiltiy are the best assets of this company. Pay is above average for position type in Amarillo.

ConsCan be difficult to progress as some departments tend to form groups and don't look as potential. Instead they look at is this person a friend and are they part of us...Should be based on qualifications only.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull off the rose colored glasses.

Reorg...reorg....reorg

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Xcel Energy

ProsXcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement. Located downtown Minneapolis on the bus (and train) line.

ConsIts reorg after reorg. Too much money is spent on reorg and not enough energy on employee morale during that time. I had the same job for 2 years and 5 managers located in 2 states.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees.

Promotions very difficult to attain

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point.

ConsGetting a much-deserved promotion is almost impossible. If you have a manager who is not willing to spend the time to get through all the red tape of a business case, then you don't stand a chance of getting a promotion. How can Xcel be an employer of choice if going above and beyond time after time gets you nowhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees seeking a promotion should be actively involved in the business case since there are weak managers who don't fight for their employees. And because the manager may not even know half of what their employee does. Also, taking months in the process is unacceptable and inefficient. Xcel has lost good, even outstanding employees because of the current policy.

Nuclear trying to recover, facing tough rate case

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people (workers), a lot of new people (workers and management), know they need to recover

ConsSome management left over from NMC days, resistance to the improvements the new people are bringing - not consciously, sub-consciously

Advice to Senior ManagementTrying to be frugal now (right in the middle of recovering the nuclear plants) would be big mistatke. Follow through on what you started for another year or so.

Customer care least respected and most unfairly treated yet we take the verbal beatings

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Team leads and co workers
Great public interaction untied way, snack packs for kids, meals on wheels, and local school interactions
Tuition reimbursement is good.
Generation and field are great.

ConsUnfair performance system, time it takes from application to job interview terrible, no respect from certain departments. Opportunity for continued development is lacking.
Terrible public communication and public education of generation and field work details

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the performance standards and give HR and recruiters a kick in the rear. Stop sending everything north they just keep screwing up.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Valuable utility experience that exposes you to all facets of the energy market.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood CEO, good co-workers, industry leading utility, and wide geographical footprint that provides experience that other utilities can't provide.

ConsLong hours, lower than average wages, HR runs the salary increases so there is more value on years experience rather than performance. This causes the younger high performers to be held back in career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay for performance not for seniority.

There is no shortage of areas to improve.

I have been working at Xcel Energy for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits like 401K and pension, PTO, health
Lots of movement so lots of job openings
Flexible hours
Lots of responsibility
Stability

ConsNo accountability
No Vision
No training
Employees are more concerned about receiving bonus pay than performance or pride in work at hand
Lack of Technical Expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove mediocre Management and hire technical experts.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xcel Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xcel Energy CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Xcel Energy employees.