Xcel Energy Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.2

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
  • Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, time off and flexibiltiy are the best assets of this company (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Somewhat resistant and slow to change (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The internship program at Xcel is very informative and you get a lot of hands on experience.

Current Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They work well with your school schedule.

Cons

The intern program does not show all the different jobs you could potentially do with your degree.

A review after three years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than a lot of places. Get hooked with the good benefits and job security.

Cons

A lot of managers and directors are terrible leaders. Unqualified or not prepared.

Time to clean house and really walk the talk. Seems like there are two wYs right now, one that is talked about and another with inaction.

Call Center a Stepping Stone into the Company?

Current Employee - Customer Contact Representative in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Contact Representative in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Free Gym Membership
    Perks
    Cell Phone Discount
    Some on the spot incentives
    Pension Program
    Lots of employee programs
    Tuition Reimbursement Program
    Interships
    Overtime with incentives

Cons

No time off the phone
    On Call
    Constant Schedule Change
    Ranking System
    Terrible time keeping System
    Little room for advancement due to high employee turn over
    (most people have been there for 5 months or 20 years)
    Low pay ($10.50hr)
    Lots of policy for 8 different States
    No time on the job to review policy and stay up to date
    Great place to work if you really want to realize how stupid and arrogant people from Colorado can be (some very nice people as well)
    Also if you love getting torn apart by a drunk redneck on the phone once a week for absolutely no reason this is the place!

Pay your employees atleast $15-$17.00hr and employee turn over will drop by 70% in the first year. The job is crueling and humiliating at times, and only making 10.50 hr does not make it worth it. For $15.00-$17.00 hr I would take outage and escalated calls all day, and not even consider being late. Give people what their worth and they will give you their career's.

Call Center expectations ridiculous due to poor training

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros

-Fair benefits
    -Allows some scheduling flexibility

Cons

-Scheduling is a nightmare (call center EE's expected to work EVERY weekend; can't put in for time off unless you find your own replacement which was impossible with mandatory overtime)
    -Low pay for expectations (the amount of knowledge required by reps is absurd; training breezes over most of it so many situations/facets are not fully explained)
    -Team leads are demanding but not helpful
    -It takes years to promote out of call center, or even as a specialist within. Literally years (as in 5-7 from what I was told)

Working in the call center was one of the worst positions I have ever had in my life. I have worked in other call centers but this one takes the cake. Of course dealing with customers who are rude and demanding is expected- most are upset of power outage or billing issues. The customers aren't the problem. That's part of working in a call center.

However Xcel ill-prepares reps for dealing with situations. Reps are expected to basically cover knowledge from at least 10 different departments, and if you need help from the actual department, well, good luck. They will likely be rude and unhelpful. I mean I am not n electrical engineer but I sure was expected to answer those types of questions. The resource base is pathetic. Staffing is short and everyone was increasingly frustrated with mandatory overtime.

I don't understand why on earth they don't divide the center into different departments to deal with consistent issues so reps don't waste time trying to connect with the right person in one of over 20 departments. Why not have a, say, group that handles primarily billing/payments, another that handles line drop requests and the like, another new accounts, etc. Everyone can pitch in to handle outages. I know the ebb and flow of concerns changes but specializing reps in one area to start and then allowing them opportunities to certify in others as a promotion would improve quality of service I would think and not force unprepared reps into the fire right off the bat.

Basically I would never recommend this as a workplace. Pay is awful, will is awful. No one is happy but the department heads (who could be seen lounging in their offices chatting with each other causally for hours on end).

Generous compensation to silence the loathing of job

Current Employee - Utility Worker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and Compensation. If you know someone higher up in corporate you are set.

Cons

Supervisors try to enforce policy to assert their power, because they have no real power.

Look at how large the organization is and look for ways to increase efficiency. Provide some real power to management and trust their abilities, unless they are just figure heads.

Good benefits, but too PC

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Xcel Energy is a large, stable company. It offers the standard bennies (ins, time off, 401K match), and also has a pension. The challenges are immense, and you will never know the whole system.

Cons

This company does not fire anyone. If you get a failing rating from your manager, just complain to HR. HR will prevent you from being fired. If you get caught drinking on the clock, you will just receive a warning even though it's against company policies.

Admin Assistance, but i technically do more than that. I feel more like a coordinator

Current Employee - Business Administrative in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Business Administrative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There's a lot of room for growth. Lots of work to do. Job security is great

Cons

The fact that we're understaff in our department and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

delegate work more appropriately, do a better job at hiring managers.

stayed many years and was taught a good trade

Former Employee - Mechanic Specialist in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanic Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

this is a good strong company

Cons

good strong company to work for but not much chance for advacedment

none

Terrible Place

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and PTO package.

Cons

Slow to change. You are expected to give a life commitment before they promote you or give you a raise. Management has very little power to do anything for you other than punish you. You never get fired, not even for ignoring your work altogether.

Cut the matrix, and give managers more power to make decisions. Reward employees for working hard, and fire people who do a poor job.

Good experience with some flaws

Current Employee - Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern

I have been working at Xcel Energy as an intern

Pros

Good people and reasonable stress. The company provides an important public service and there are opportunities to work on significant projects. Strong safety culture and flexible hours.

Cons

The silo effect is huge here. Very bureaucratic culture/process. IT and HR programs are excessive. Rate cases drive financial performance and determine management philosophy.

Too much corporate doublespeak. Honesty and candor are appreciated by employees. Consider greater regional autonomy instead of one-size-fits-all Xcel-wide policies.