Xcel Energy

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
  • Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, time off and flexibiltiy are the best assets of this company (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat resistant and slow to change (in 4 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, frustrating work

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

Good people, benefits, and time off. Opportunity to learn a lot about the industry if you really want to.

Cons

Slow to change until its a problem. A lot of 'this is how we've done it' or 'we do it this way in this part of the company'.

Engineering PETS Group Poor Management

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

Great people with lots to learn. Decent pay and decent benefits with a lot of time off. The company is strong financially.

Cons

The Engineering PETS group is organized such that you have two managers and they aren't well aligned. It's easy to get caught in the middle. Lots of long hours and busy work. To move up you have to relocate.

Learn how to manage people instead of using them.

not now maybe later

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and amount of PTO

Cons

old boys club, its all about perception, and not actual facts

sit down and actually sit with your employees as the work

Overall not too bad.

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Very stable company, lots of PTO, people are for the most part friendly, and I feel like we provide a very important service.

Cons

Pay isn't the best unless you are union, it can be hard to get a clear answer on anything, a lot of the people who have been around for a while don't put in much effort, and fear of anything new (very risk adverse).

Pay people what they're worth, make decisions instead of trying to pass the buck, and stop focusing on meaningless numbers and metrics.

Over all not a terrible company to work for in this west Texas area. The company has changed over the years.

Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

The company benefits are good along with the salary for the panhandle of Texas. The company has a large coverage area.

Cons

Once you have reached management the company has drifted away from good work values. If you are a "YES SIR" person no matter the quality of work you put out, You can move up high in the company.
    That makes the company values in my eyes very low.
    The old saying "It NOT what you know but WHO you know" this is sad but true. 20 plus years of service.

Review the company core values and revert back to where knowledge, productivity and respect are back in the picture and account for something instead of someone with NO knowledge but has the ability to say "YES SIR"

No Direction for Department

Former Employee - Material Coordination Division in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Material Coordination Division in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

8 Hour work day is pretty standard. Not required to be there longer often/ever.

Free water.

Some friendly employees. Stealing isn't common, people are honest.

If you like perkins style food, lots of freebies each month or more from events/trainings that go on here.

Cons

This whole job is easy to call in from home. The few times I did it, I could watch a movie all day or play Xbox and I was just as productive.

Working from home is looked at very negatively. There is a big push to "just use your PTO/sick days" if you can't make it in, even though you are told to bring your laptop home everyday just in case you get snowed in.

Restructuring happens frequently. As if on a whim, employees will find new job duties and roles moved around on them.
    Productivity isn't rewarded. If you are a fast typer/great with people and can get more work done than the usual, doesn’t matter. You’ll get a nice GJ email from your direct, maybe. That’s the best recognition you’ll get.

As noted by the supervisors, this environment “churns” a lot and literally, churns people OUT of it quickly.
    The most key employees, who if were gone things would go bad quickly, are still kept contracted for whatever reason. The people above seem to think FTE’s are dangerous so they avoid them.

This department and all of its roles are best suited for an out of high school job or while in college job.
    The skills learned are limited to a little above a customer service rep on the phone and email edicate.

Value of employee talents needs to reviewed and appreciated.

The whole department probably shouldn't be treated as an after thought. Don't hang becoming an FTE over contracted employees and act as if you're hands are tied all day long due to xyz. You are thinking of yourself and money/your bonuses.

If you're going to churn people out, churn them forward. As it stands it feels like you could be here 40 years and stagnate and be none the wiser.

Demotivating high performers in HR

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

People you directly work with are mostly pleasant and supportive, work location is convenient.

Cons

Mediocre pay, poor benefits, very little possibility for advancement, zero work flexibility, incompetent management that manages by intimidation and disrespect. There is no trust here and absolutely no leadership. Management uses the buzzwords of change without any genuine commitment.

HR upper management: you see all of your best employees leaving. Manage your direct reports.

Subdued Dysfunction

Former Employee - Associate Analyst - Risk Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst - Risk Management in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Xcel gave me my first shot out of college, and I'll be forever grateful for that. I admired and respected 90% of the individuals I worked with there, and found the integrity and quality of work on the part of labor to be very impressive.

Cons

Management is another story. My first boss showed no interest in having the discussion of what was required for future advancement, and my second boss showed no interest in filling the open positions necessary for maintaining a functioning (and sane) group.

I believe the incentives for management in such an environment--that of a regulated utility--are geared toward maintaining average performance with minimal effort required to move employees or the company as a whole forward. Managers do very little people managing, choosing to focus instead on their own job responsibilities since that is what they are evaluated on. The employee must fend for his/herself, though in an atmosphere which expects little more from him/her than surviving through subdued dysfunction.

Great Company, Slow to Change

Current Employee - Communication Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Communication Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

wonderful people, flexible hours, great benefits.

Cons

slow to adapt, behind in technology, lots of people are retiring.

Hire more entry to mid range employees with 3-5 years of experience.

Managers are allowed to carry firearms

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The building in LoDo is very nice.

Cons

Management works and promotes within the good ol boys club.
    A lot of contractors from IBM Global Services are used, and that is fine. But they often use the "you had better take this job or we will be forced to cut your contract off" method to entice you to take a full-time job for much less pay. I fell for it, and that was a mistake.
    The company had a "no firearms" policy when I was there. They even had a mandatory training on the subject.
    On several occasions, I witnessed my direct supervisor behaving erratically, which eventually escalated into a situation where the supervisor was bringing a firearm to work. I reported the situation, and the supervisor was removed for three weeks. At that time, I was told that he was no "cupcake" and that I needed to get over it. Unfortunately, I never felt comfortable with that, so I felt it was time to leave. I haven't regretted that decision.

If you are a contractor, remain a contractor.