Xcel Energy Reviews

Reset
1.0
Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
  • Good pay, individuals are good to work with (in 18 reviews)

• Get hooked with the good benefits and job security (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Somewhat resistant and slow to change (in 4 reviews)

• The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 4 reviews)

1. Threats, Harassment, Intimidation and Discrimiation

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay when there and personal time off when you need it. Nice people outside the department.

Cons

While working in the mapping department I had experience being Harass by a few of the department personal. which lead to intimidation and final discrimiation. I when to the manager about these problems that I was facing and got nothing in resolve of these incidents. This cause me great mental depression and affected my work there, that I had to seek a psychotherapy to help me with this problem. He advise me to seek legal advise on discrimiation and civil sutied

Contract Electrical Engineer

Former Contractor - Contract Electrical Engineer in Amarillo, TX
    Former Contractor - Contract Electrical Engineer in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The work can involve the most modern electrical engineering techniques and design methods. The pay was moderately good.

Cons

The In-Fighting within the organization between employees at all levels creates a non-productive environment. You drag yourself to work every day - hating the fact that it is going to be the same BS as every previous day.

Advice to Management

Clean up the non-productive career dead weight who are at the heart of this problem. They know they do not have to be productive, so all they do every day is cause greater strife within the organization.

My manager is a total liar.

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at Xcel Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and vacation time is decent.

Cons

My manager led me to believe that there would be little to no travel. But 2 days after I started I was told that I would have to travel every other week between 2 cities. This is TOTALLY unacceptable. I told her from the beginning interview that I did not want to travel. I get little real work to do because the contractors run this company's IT department. They dole out small amounts of work to me. I have voiced my concerns to my manager and team lead with no results.

Advice to Management

Get control of your IT department back. Do not let contractors and vendors tell you what systems your own employees are allowed to have access to for work. You need to have complete control of your systems. Stop letting vendors/contractors run your IT department.

Avoid Nuclear

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Welch, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Benefits are ok, but not quite as good as other nuclear companies.

Cons

Prairie Island Nuclear has horrible management and is driving people out the door. The culture is awful and has created a revolving door. Probably 40% of people are new in the last couple years and most of them plan to leave as soon as there relocation repayment time is met. Management doesn't seem to have a clue that they are the problem. They just keep threatening employees to do better instead of solving problems so that employees can successfully do their jobs.

Advice to Management

You are the problem. Unfortunately the CEO hasn't recognized this. Replacing management is the way to make Prairie Island a decent place.

From SPS to a mess

Former Employee - Inst Journeyman in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Inst Journeyman in Amarillo, TX

Pros

None except for a lot lack time during unproductive meetings

Cons

Conflicting and inept management decisions based on accountants deciding where to spend money. The results major catastrophic failures at Harrington Station, and a dog and pony show that is still in play.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the rump rangers that think they know it all and rely on those who have the experience, knowledge, and fix the problems properly. Maximo is not the answer, you have wrecked the entire maintenance system with software that slows work down. Upper management has been blinded by this lack to speak up against poor guidance by the board who cant make a sound decision based on the future of coal generation.

Terrible place to work for low level employees...although upper management sure seemed happy

Former Employee - Call Center Representative
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative

I worked at Xcel Energy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits for full time employees -Discounted event tickets -Good job security

Cons

-The supposedly flexible scheduling for part time students meant you can set your schedule for the term but you better dang well not need any days off, because they won't give you them. You have to set up your own replacement...near impossible when you are brand new and know no one, and there are 30 other people who want off the same weekend. Yes, you will work every weekend, no question. -Understaffed -Highly dissatisfied long term staff, made environment miserable for everyone -Part time employees subject to NO benefits (understandable) or wage increases (What?!?) -Customers tend to be demanding, rude, and cranky, since they are typically upset about billing issues or utility outages -Training is rapid...they want to get you out and on to the floor before the knowledge has been truly absorbed. Expect you to know every aspect of every little thing. If you ask someone they tell you, look it up. Well if I could have I would have. -Advancement? PLease. Some employees worked in the pits of hell, aka call center, for 7+ years trying to advance to the next level up (a specialist, I believe) but can't make it. Unless you get a solid degree don't expect any advancement to occur. Although after 5 years you may finally get weekends off, so there's that. Basically couldn't stand working there much past the initial training period. The thing that irked me most was being told, on the last day of training, that part time employees receive no raises regardless how long they work there. These employees are considered "temporary" so no benefits or increases are mandated. Fine, but don't mislead incoming employees. Treat your employees respectfully and realize that burnout is a very real thing.

Over all not a terrible company to work for in this west Texas area. The company has changed over the years.

Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX

Pros

The company benefits are good along with the salary for the panhandle of Texas. The company has a large coverage area.

Cons

Once you have reached management the company has drifted away from good work values. If you are a "YES SIR" person no matter the quality of work you put out, You can move up high in the company. That makes the company values in my eyes very low. The old saying "It NOT what you know but WHO you know" this is sad but true. 20 plus years of service.

Advice to Management

Review the company core values and revert back to where knowledge, productivity and respect are back in the picture and account for something instead of someone with NO knowledge but has the ability to say "YES SIR"

Managers are allowed to carry firearms

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The building in LoDo is very nice.

Cons

Management works and promotes within the good ol boys club. A lot of contractors from IBM Global Services are used, and that is fine. But they often use the "you had better take this job or we will be forced to cut your contract off" method to entice you to take a full-time job for much less pay. I fell for it, and that was a mistake. The company had a "no firearms" policy when I was there. They even had a mandatory training on the subject. On several occasions, I witnessed my direct supervisor behaving erratically, which eventually escalated into a situation where the supervisor was bringing a firearm to work. I reported the situation, and the supervisor was removed for three weeks. At that time, I was told that he was no "cupcake" and that I needed to get over it. Unfortunately, I never felt comfortable with that, so I felt it was time to leave. I haven't regretted that decision.

Advice to Management

If you are a contractor, remain a contractor.

HR Team Member of a Dinosaur organization which embraces politics rather than change

Current Contractor - Talent Management Learning Services in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Contractor - Talent Management Learning Services in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members for most part who are serious about goals and organizational success and goals.

Cons

Contractors are violated in labor standards laws and forced to work Overtime and are not paid. Contractors are extended although I have been less than one year, one contractor was on for 8 years before perm conversion. Politics run all way up to CEO for job selection, they just tell their friends to apply. Witness to two age discrimination cases currently in litigation and several racial hostility issues. Even watched a college in corporate HR be yelled at. They will not allow contractors of select races to work remote while others work from home several days weekly. They force contract workers to do more work and train "perm" employees who they hire as their friends and pay more. Keep the lawsuits coming until they learn their lesson. Oh, don't tell CEO, you will be ignored until court and they don't care. Code of Conduct and Discrimination polices they don't care about their publications.

Advice to Management

Start with Ben Fowke and clean house down to HR and start again. With folks who brag about being at an organization for 30 + years and that is all they know....they need to be without a job and benefits to learn what if feels like to be willfully classified as a " contractor " because they are too cheap to pay benefits and decent wages. Call Center will never serve your customers on Benefited vs. Non-Benefited at 10.12 per hour....and you want good services?

Terrible Place

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and PTO package.

Cons

Slow to change. You are expected to give a life commitment before they promote you or give you a raise. Management has very little power to do anything for you other than punish you. You never get fired, not even for ignoring your work altogether.

Advice to Management

Cut the matrix, and give managers more power to make decisions. Reward employees for working hard, and fire people who do a poor job.

RSS Feed </> Embed