Xcel Energy

www.xcelenergy.com
Employer Engaged

Terrible place to work for low level employees...although upper management sure seemed happy

Former Employee - Call Center Representative
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative

I worked at Xcel Energy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits for full time employees
    -Discounted event tickets
    -Good job security

Cons

-The supposedly flexible scheduling for part time students meant you can set your schedule for the term but you better dang well not need any days off, because they won't give you them. You have to set up your own replacement...near impossible when you are brand new and know no one, and there are 30 other people who want off the same weekend. Yes, you will work every weekend, no question.
    -Understaffed
    -Highly dissatisfied long term staff, made environment miserable for everyone
    -Part time employees subject to NO benefits (understandable) or wage increases (What?!?)
    -Customers tend to be demanding, rude, and cranky, since they are typically upset about billing issues or utility outages
    -Training is rapid...they want to get you out and on to the floor before the knowledge has been truly absorbed. Expect you to know every aspect of every little thing. If you ask someone they tell you, look it up. Well if I could have I would have.
    -Advancement? PLease. Some employees worked in the pits of hell, aka call center, for 7+ years trying to advance to the next level up (a specialist, I believe) but can't make it. Unless you get a solid degree don't expect any advancement to occur. Although after 5 years you may finally get weekends off, so there's that.

Basically couldn't stand working there much past the initial training period. The thing that irked me most was being told, on the last day of training, that part time employees receive no raises regardless how long they work there. These employees are considered "temporary" so no benefits or increases are mandated. Fine, but don't mislead incoming employees. Treat your employees respectfully and realize that burnout is a very real thing.

not now maybe later

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and amount of PTO

Cons

old boys club, its all about perception, and not actual facts

sit down and actually sit with your employees as the work

Over all not a terrible company to work for in this west Texas area. The company has changed over the years.

Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

The company benefits are good along with the salary for the panhandle of Texas. The company has a large coverage area.

Cons

Once you have reached management the company has drifted away from good work values. If you are a "YES SIR" person no matter the quality of work you put out, You can move up high in the company.
    That makes the company values in my eyes very low.
    The old saying "It NOT what you know but WHO you know" this is sad but true. 20 plus years of service.

Review the company core values and revert back to where knowledge, productivity and respect are back in the picture and account for something instead of someone with NO knowledge but has the ability to say "YES SIR"

Subdued Dysfunction

Former Employee - Associate Analyst - Risk Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Analyst - Risk Management in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Xcel gave me my first shot out of college, and I'll be forever grateful for that. I admired and respected 90% of the individuals I worked with there, and found the integrity and quality of work on the part of labor to be very impressive.

Cons

Management is another story. My first boss showed no interest in having the discussion of what was required for future advancement, and my second boss showed no interest in filling the open positions necessary for maintaining a functioning (and sane) group.

I believe the incentives for management in such an environment--that of a regulated utility--are geared toward maintaining average performance with minimal effort required to move employees or the company as a whole forward. Managers do very little people managing, choosing to focus instead on their own job responsibilities since that is what they are evaluated on. The employee must fend for his/herself, though in an atmosphere which expects little more from him/her than surviving through subdued dysfunction.

No Direction for Department

Former Contractor - Material Coordination Division in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Contractor - Material Coordination Division in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

8 Hour work day is pretty standard. Not required to be there longer often/ever.

Free water.

Some friendly employees. Stealing isn't common, people are honest.

If you like perkins style food, lots of freebies each month or more from events/trainings that go on here.

Cons

This whole job is easy to call in from home. The few times I did it, I could watch a movie all day or play Xbox and I was just as productive.

Working from home is looked at very negatively. There is a big push to "just use your PTO/sick days" if you can't make it in, even though you are told to bring your laptop home everyday just in case you get snowed in.

Restructuring happens frequently. As if on a whim, employees will find new job duties and roles moved around on them.
    Productivity isn't rewarded. If you are a fast typer/great with people and can get more work done than the usual, doesn’t matter. You’ll get a nice GJ email from your direct, maybe. That’s the best recognition you’ll get.

As noted by the supervisors, this environment “churns” a lot and literally, churns people OUT of it quickly.
    The most key employees, who if were gone things would go bad quickly, are still kept contracted for whatever reason. The people above seem to think FTE’s are dangerous so they avoid them.

This department and all of its roles are best suited for an out of high school job or while in college job.
    The skills learned are limited to a little above a customer service rep on the phone and email edicate.

Value of employee talents needs to reviewed and appreciated.

The whole department probably shouldn't be treated as an after thought. Don't hang becoming an FTE over contracted employees and act as if you're hands are tied all day long due to xyz. You are thinking of yourself and money/your bonuses.

If you're going to churn people out, churn them forward. As it stands it feels like you could be here 40 years and stagnate and be none the wiser.

Demotivating high performers in HR

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

People you directly work with are mostly pleasant and supportive, work location is convenient.

Cons

Mediocre pay, poor benefits, very little possibility for advancement, zero work flexibility, incompetent management that manages by intimidation and disrespect. There is no trust here and absolutely no leadership. Management uses the buzzwords of change without any genuine commitment.

HR upper management: you see all of your best employees leaving. Manage your direct reports.

Overall not too bad.

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Very stable company, lots of PTO, people are for the most part friendly, and I feel like we provide a very important service.

Cons

Pay isn't the best unless you are union, it can be hard to get a clear answer on anything, a lot of the people who have been around for a while don't put in much effort, and fear of anything new (very risk adverse).

Pay people what they're worth, make decisions instead of trying to pass the buck, and stop focusing on meaningless numbers and metrics.

Great Company, Slow to Change

Current Contractor - Communication Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Communication Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

wonderful people, flexible hours, great benefits.

Cons

slow to adapt, behind in technology, lots of people are retiring.

Hire more entry to mid range employees with 3-5 years of experience.

It's Not What You Know, It's Who...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an easy place to work as far as producing. Time off is very generous and liberal in application. Most of the co-workers are good to work with. Someplaces make you feel welcomed and appreciated.

Cons

Micro managed with a vengeance. A lot of Mgrs are there because they (bow down) to the correct Director or VP. Qualifications mean nothing. You can have a HS Diploma and be a Mgr here. Back stabbing and retaliation are alive and well. Free thinking and educated opinions are stifled and discouraged. Company policies are only used to get rid of employees not in with the "gang". Code of conduct is a joke. If you report a wrongdoing you will be sacrificed.

Act like you know something. Make your qualified people feel welcomed and not as if they were an enemy. Promote your people based on what they have to offer as far as education, qualifications, experience, etc. Not by who they (buddy up) with. Stop with the Rose Colored Glasses as there are problems within the organization with trust, honesty, and mostly integrity.

A review after three years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time

Pros

Benefits are better than a lot of places. Get hooked with the good benefits and job security.

Cons

A lot of managers and directors are terrible leaders. Unqualified or not prepared.

Time to clean house and really walk the talk. Seems like there are two wYs right now, one that is talked about and another with inaction.