Xcel Energy Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.3

Xcel Energy Chairman, President & CEO Benjamin G.S. Fowke III
Benjamin G.S. Fowke III

Pros
  • Xcel Energy offers good pay, and a good benefits package including tuition reimbursement (in 15 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are satisfactory to a point (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is good, but only if you are not concerned with your career advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Somewhat resistant and slow to change (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive salary, benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k, personal time off

Cons

Company locations are spread out

Great workplace and environment

Current Employee - GIS Data Integrity Editor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - GIS Data Integrity Editor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly employees and good place to work hands down.
    Management is very good and doesn't micro-manage
    Location of the office is easily accessible and plenty of off street parking

Cons

Length of employment is not consistent or steady unless offered a permanent position withing the company

Decent paying job in a low-stress environment; not a place for the ambitious / impatient

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

commensurate salary with decent benefits, good coworkers, job security

Cons

lack of ability to move up, lots of people content with mediocrity

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

don't work here as a non-union employee; I hope to leave soon.

Current Employee - Non Union  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Non Union in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is decent. Job very stable. Does have a pension plan but honestly not worth a lot of money - a decent 401k somewhere else would be just as good.
    Work is interesting, often challenging. Lots of freedom to explore various technical solutions, and implement them. Lots of variety in work. Lots of responsibility in your specific area of expertise.

Cons

Benefit package sucks. Deductible so high you basically only have insurance for a catastrophic event. Pay lower than similar utilities. They constantly tell you that your pay and benefits are "comparable" - like if they say it enough you'll start to believe it.
    No chance for advancement/promotion based on merit - it is only about putting in the time(10,15 years). Will not happen before that no matter what.
    Duties/compensation vary significantly from area to area...some people doing much more than others with the same title/position/compensation. No correlation between compensation and workload/responsibilities. Does not matter how much you do or how well you do it - if you do nothing you'll maybe get 0.3-0.5% lower raise than someone who is exceptional. Basically no reward for hard work/success.
    Union employees are pampered, non union treated like galley slaves. I've seriously seen union guys spend the entire day surfing the net; non union spend the day working as hard as they can(working through lunch/no breaks) - yet the union guys are paid more.
    Upper management seems to only care about the value of the stock bonus they are getting. They shift budgets around constantly, often deferring much needed maintenance, solely to pad the books so they can keep the stock price up.
    Very much a mentality of anyone is replaceable. Several times very skilled people have left and they simply pile their workload on their overworked coworkers who just haven't left yet.
    I knew of an operations manager who left one of the power plants. Took quite a while to replace him - in part because the CEO had to approve refilling the position! Really? How many layers of management do you need? I think there at least 5 or 6 layers above me. Upper management seems to have no understanding of how electricity is actually made/distributed; they are just a bunch of accountants. Lots of half-truths. Management is constantly stressed/freaking out about the latest whatever.
    Many of the old employees seem to have spent their entire life at Xcel - and don't know anything else. Makes them blind to many of the internal problems. They don't know that things could be better - and so nothing changes for the better.
    Hugely bloated company. Many of the support organizations have forgotten their true purpose(support) and instead create so many internal processes that it makes it nearly impossible to get something done when working with them(especially the contract/sourcing group). The IT group is stuck 15 years in the past. Often have to convert files from other companies so you can open them in your antiquated software. Decent hardware but so full of company spy/control/bloatware that you waste a lot of time just waiting for the computer systems to respond. Supposedly going to be upgrading in the next year or so.
    Constant pressure to make everything a capital project. Will pour huge amounts of cash into anything that is "capital" but freak out about the smallest non-capital expenditure. Waste obscene amounts of money at times, then freak out about fixing small things.

Treat employees like you actually care. Pay skilled non-union at least as well as the union employees. Reward good performance and get rid of the losers. Maybe allow the holy "earnings per share" to drop a bit so we can actually fix the plants.
    Don't postpone our bonuses to try and play the "we're out of money" card with the union.

Decent place to work at.

Current Employee - Lineman  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Lineman in Denver, CO

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, Work environment, Safety, and benefits, 401k

Cons

commute, rules, management, Schedule, travel

Look out for your employees

LooN

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good starting salary, well known company, provides required service. Many of the people are hard working, dedicated, and very nice.

Cons

Very little advancement opportunity, lots of nepotism, favoritism. Bonuses are a factor of who you know, not what you do. Many hard workers not rewarded, many golden boys skate by easily.

Be open to employee input, don't be such a top down closed group. Could be more responsive to customer needs and wants instead of just complying with what commissions make them do.

Some bureaucracy, but overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Purchased Power Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Purchased Power Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I got to move around and try three different positions in five years. Lateral moves are easy (much easier than getting in from the outside). Very green company and really nice people.

Cons

Lots of layers of approval hierarchy above me. Quite a bit of politics but I suppose that is to be expected with an 11000 employee company who is regulated and publicly traded.

Have trust in some of the more junior staff for making decisions. Have them justify it but don't dive in and micro manage after the fact. Provide opportunities for external folks as well as internal folks.

Good place for your later years

Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Internal Auditor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and a high level of job security

Cons

Lower than average pay and slow process to climb the ladder

Look to the future, you are going to become a dinosaur

How they keep the lights on I do not know

Current Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other they receiving my pay check (however they did take out the wrong states income tax....)' no pros....

Cons

Way too many, no organization, too tied up in internal does and fonts, I didn't feel at comfortable, as if it was a big lie....

Buck up and stop playing just lip service to the systems that you have in place.....

Mixed

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My most vivid memories of Xcel will always be of the hugely intelligence, fun people I worked with for more than 20 years. I was given slow, but steady advancement during the time I worked there, and there was usually an adequate incentive bonus (only during the time I was a full employee anyway!), and usually there were adequate benefits. For the most part, the workplace was laid back and easy, and the workforce was usually diverse and fun to be a part of. As a card-carrying geek, I might have stood out from some of my crowd sometimes, but I was never led to believe that it was in a bad way. People accepted me into their groups simply for my contribution to our community's success.

Those of us in Minneapolis (2013 Summer) know what we went through with the worst weather assault on our grid ever, and we know what this colossal dinosaur or a company was able to mobilize and accomplish over the course of 3-4 days. When you work at the company through a disaster like that, and you accomplish what Xcel accomplished in less than a week, you really feel like you're doing God's work.

Cons

* Not all Xcel work environments are created equal. The downtown Minneapolis headquarters is somnolent and stifling. You never know when you might share the elevator with a CEO, and you know he'll never speak to you. The service centers, however, have a much more laid back, democratic air about them.
    * All of IT should be destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up. There has been more than a decade of neglect therein, and nothing would be better for it than a good torch.
    * Like so many enterprises, the relationship between IT and the Business must be rebuilt anew. There are so few formal ties between those two entities, it is no wonder they seldom complement each other these days.
    * Xcel Energy is beholden to jurisdictions that include cities, towns, eight states, and the federal government. It's hard to turn around in that environment without bumping into some government geek or other that wants to tell you what to do. Not all geeks are created equal either. Some folks in the government can be really annoying. On the other hand, as we discovered (Mpls 2013 Summer), some folks in your local utility can really get you out of a jam in a hurry.
    * If you throw yourself into this mix, make sure you have a champion: someone who knows what you do, values it, and can explain to others what you are worth. Without that you will go nowhere!

* Do something with IT!
    * Get rid of the current, stupid employee review setup (IPAD)!
    * Forget incentive pay. Just pay people what they are worth!
    * Fix your worthless health benefits. For several years now people have been self-insuring under the current worthless plan.
    * Re-analyze your investment in shuffling your MBAs around the company. This is such an obvious problem that it has become a joke amongst the rank-and-file. You seem to be searching for a place for these "average talents" (that you have perhaps mistakenly hireds) to eventually be successful. Perhaps you would have be better off just finding some excellent talent to begin with.
    * Re-organize Marketing, Market Research, and Account Management from the bottom up. Marketing needs a new outlook from top to bottom. The buyer-seller situation has changed completely in the last decade, but there has been little new talent there for two decades past. I suspect the requisite talent in that department is missing these days.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!