Xceligent

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Douglas J. Curry

Don't get your hopes up!

Market Analyst (Former Employee)
    Blue Springs, MO

ProsGreat co-workers, weekends off, steady paycheck.

ConsHorrible management & management centric, advancement and raises are a joke. Management does not support employees. Negatives are highly recognized and pointed out, while positives and hard work is ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet all management/ supervisors on the same page. Quit playing favorites and start recognizing employees that are knowledgable, qualified and go above and beyond job requirements to help co-workers be successful and support a company that does not support them & consider paying current employees the same as new, unexperienced new hires. The core of the company is it's employees! Get off your high horse and treat them as such!

Horrible mess... High stress... Not worth it...

Market Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThe only pros to this job are the fact that it is a Monday through Friday position requiring no weekends or holidays.

ConsPay is unequal between offices. People performing the EXACT same job in the Blue Springs office make substantially more money than people in the Sedalia office. Constant bullying and threatening behavior from management. Micromanagement is a huge problem. Exceptions for some and rules for others when it comes to policies and procedures. Favoritism is a huge issue with management. Promotions are based solely on favoritism and length with company, not merit or credentials. Few opportunities for advancement. When management leaves for different positions, those positions are not replaced or opened for other employees, but rather eliminated, leaving a heavier work load on existing management - causing them to constantly be overloaded, not have time for their teams, and have horrible attitudes all the time. Management team will speak to you like a child on a daily basis and is often rude and condescending. No follow-through from anyone. HR issues are never addressed. Corporate is only involved with Blue Springs office - Sedalia office is often an afterthought. Sedalia office is full of employees with 2 years+ experience yet are treated the worst out of the whole company. Any suggestions offered to better a process are seen as pushback and you are labeled for having an attitude problem if you bring a problem to anyone's attention. Morale in the office is absolutely disgusting. Most employees can be seen at any given time spending more time on their phones, shopping, or playing around on the internet than working. Metric goals are cheated by many employees and management is not smart enough to realize it, thereby punishing those who actually do work and do their jobs properly. Employees who cheat to meet numbers are rewarded with pay raises and level assessments while those who do extra are not. Company is in a constant state of change and uproar. Nothing ever is constant. New procedures are implemented without proper testing - then retracted when they do not work. Our product is glitchy and spends more time down than up. I spend half of my day apologizing to customers for something being wrong with the system, yet again. Some markets do not even have enough members to financially support the market even being open. This company has to be hemorrhaging money. 90% of our updates are made based off of information from our largest competitor's websites - per our customers' requests. Office equipment is outdated - nothing is ergonomically correct. My left hand is going numb as I am typing this. The environment is extremely stressful and a complete mess. This company is just grasping at straws to stay alive it seems. Many of us are seeking other employment and plan to exit just as soon as possible. Please save yourself the time and stress. Do not work here!

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely remove current management team and hire people who have experience and education in management who know how to properly run an office, be professional, and not play favorites. Additionally, bring in some outside influence into the company and learn how to properly run a company. This company needs some major overhaul if it ever thinks it is going to be a genuine competitor in the market. It's sad how big of a mess this place is.

Xceligent is one biog con job

Market Research Analyst (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsIf you are not salried you get your shift and a lunch break.

ConsLazy supervisors and managers. No people skills. They lie and make promises when they are in a jam and then never deliver. No customer service mentality at all within the organization. It is all about getting the money before the clients figure out they have been screwed. Low integrity overall andthat Doug Curry guy is just a big mouth con man.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to get some real managers instead of this bunch of croanies you have in that her-haw operation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"X" means to run away as fast as possible - you don't want to be associated!

Information Technology (Former Employee)

ProsNothing that I can think of...only taking away knowledge of the commercial real estate industry. There is a push for positive growth and change...but there is lack of leadership for this to happen.

ConsManagement is full of the original people who started the company and haven't learned how to run a company or manage people successfully.

Constant change of focus, product architecture and organization structure. Numerous projects which are unfinished and very poorly planned or executed.

Salary employees work countless double and triple time hours with no compensation or recognition. Poor performance, bad attitude or push back is highly scrutinized and typical response is to terminate employees based on loosely defined reasons or made up reasons.

No structure for growth or knowledge gathering. Constant change of direction. Severe lack of communication between all departments and peers. IT Developers and Network Ops are pushed to build company tools, products and apps quickly without requirements or milestones and countless change of scope amendments in all stages of SDLC.

Almost all apps, products and internal infrastructure constantly breaks and is fixed by multiple layers of Band-Aids.

Management attitude is to own the employee with disregard for personal of family life. Many many weeknights and weekends worked with no compensation.

A reality and push by the CEO to sell major services or products without having the correct structures to develop the new changes or new product.

In summary...ABSOLUTE CHAOS! Constant change of tasks and projects with unrealistic expectations.
    If you decide to drink the cool-aid...read the handbook and don't sign anything you do not agree to.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to plan a project with inclusion of unknowns and research of best practices to apply to development.

Push back on sales and internal change requests to clearly identify the need, scope of change and prioritize the request.

Stop responding with knee-jerk reactions to issues raised or first impressions. Do Not implement changes directly into production environments without going through the proper SDLC.

Spend the time to understand the impacts on people and projects.

Set realistic timeframes so your people can have a life outside of work.

Learn how to effectively communicate internally within teams, peers and departments. Effectively communicate separately with external clients and/or customers. Set meeting times and stick to them.

Worst Company on the planet

ProsI have tried to find one Pro and I am un able to find one but I have a 20 word minimum in this box

Consbenefits are not good, no room for advancement, company plays favorites, unorganized, they have no clue what they are doing or how to run a business, at risk for losing funds with investor, bad reputation in the industry as providing inaccurate data, they are no where near as good as CoStar, poor training, stuck in their ways and not open to suggestions and change, no one knows whats going on, no processes in place and they make things up as they go along

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop policies and procedures and learn how to run a business and stop flying by the seat of your pants.

Do not even waste your time here

Market Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Blue Springs, MO

ProsYou get a paycheck twice a month and you MIGHT sit next to decent people.

ConsManagement is horrible and they contradict each other all the time. They never compliment you on your work and they always say you could have done better. They are extremely rude and promote people based on how much they like them and not their work. Right now they are trying to get a tax credit so they are hiring a ton of people at 15-17/ hr while others that have been there only over a year make about 12/hr. The product they sale is beyond embarrassing. I work here and I wouldn't even buy it if that tells you anything. This company claims that they are nothing like the competitor CoStar but they are exactly like them! They claim that they do not call and annoy people but that is exactly what they force us to do. And then we have ridiculous numbers that we have to hit every day which takes away from the quality of our data.. but do they care? It is quantity over quality here at Xceligent unless a big investor is coming to see the building. On those days we dress up real nice, clean are cubicles, vacuum the carpet, and make calls all day so that they THINK we are worth their money.. but in reality we are not. My advice for anyone that wants to be in the commercial data provider industry is to just go to CoStar. I am pretty sure they are not underpaid and if their management is half as bad as ours you will be able to tolerate it because you know you are making decent money. Just do not waste your life away here and keep your resume handy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to take a class on how to be at least a half decent manager. Being rude and disrespectful to us only makes us hate coming to work more and more. And stop choosing favorites! As a manager that behavior is unacceptable. Everyone should be treated equally, rules should apply to EVERYONE. Just let CoStar buy us out because you all clearly have no idea how to run a successful company.

Xceligent is an excellent company and interesting place to work.

Field Research (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsUtilize your Commercial Real Estate, Property Management and other skills used in the real estate business to help grow Xceligent. Flexible time and friendly, helpful management. Excellent benefits are a definite plus in this economy. Ability to move to different areas geographically and within the company are extremely beneficial.

ConsAs with some other start up companies, the salaries are not up to standards especially depending on which market one may live and work in due to high housing costs and urban culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise?

Not a bad company to work for, but needs to focus on worker moral.

Market Analyst (Current Employee)
    Blue Springs, MO

ProsThe people you work with are pretty cool. There are "cliques" but for the most part, everyone gets along. I'm used to making close to minimum, so the pay is more than I'm used to. But it's still not commensurate for the duties that we do. The work schedule is consistent and not on the weekends (M-F 8-5 with an hour lunch break... I like that better than 30 minutes for sure).

ConsThe pay should be better for the type of work that we do. I was shocked when I heard that the MAs who work in Sedalia get paid less than us because of their location... what a joke! If you do the same job, you deserve the same pay... no exceptions!

There are several of us who have fantastic relationships with these firms and aside from our DCS, we are their only other contact. Some of us actually put forth the extra effort to do a great job, go out of our way for our paying members. The metrics were a huge joke when they came out. Quotas are only good for those who don't do anything and need a goal to strive towards. Quantity over quality to the tenth power to say the least as far as our data is concerned. The scales are so tipped in regards to that, in turn other MAs don't focus on how good their records are, they are more concerned about making their numbers so they don't get endless e-mails. And the raise incentive was a joke because they only did it a couple of times and some of the people who got it were always goofing off, so there is no way they made their numbers.

Promotions or changes in departments happen based on who you know for the most part. I'm shocked how many people have been promoted to Customer Care when they are grouchy and act like they are put out to help you.

I know that we are a small and growing company, but if you want to get to the top legitimately, you don't do it on the back of your workers. Being told that we are the most important part of the company because of what we do, and then send constant e-mails about our call numbers and that we are "up talking too much" when it's about work-related things... it doesn't make much sense to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork moral should be one of their main focuses. When you have happy workers, you have better workers who will work harder and more detail orientated. I don't expect to be treated like royalty, but we should all be treated with respect. We are not easily replaceable. There is a lot that goes into being a Market Analyst, with the relationships you have with your firms and the various processes and work flow. It took me a while to get comfortable in my position. We are losing some of our best workers because of the pay and the way we have been treated, and they wouldn't have left if they were compensated for the jobs that they did. There are some in management that I have high regards for, but some need to remember that we are people too and some of us really care about our jobs and strive to do our best.

This place is a mess!

ProsThe best thing about working here is a steady paycheck and they pay slightly better than a fast food restaurant.

ConsThis place is a chaotic mess. First off, management here doesn't communicate or work with each other at all. They all think they run the whole show and all the while the company and the rest of it's employees just suffer. There simply is no chain of command, job descriptions/limitations or teamwork between different managers. What that leads to is a bunch of base level researchers who don't know who they should go to or who can or cannot fire them. Just about everyone below mid-management level spends their days in fear of being canned and most of them are looking for new jobs. The overall theme here is that low men on the totem pole are very unhappy leaving only the higher ups and higher paid being the only ones happy with their job here.

This company preaches that there are advancement opportunities for anyone who works hard and learns their job, but really unless you have a degree, any degree, you can only make lateral moves to Customer Care or a different research department. So it doesn't matter how hard you work you won't ever get to a much higher position or pay. If you hire in as a researcher without a degree you are called a Market Analyst and you make about $11.50 per hour where if you have a degree you are called a Commercial Research Analyst and make about $15 - $17 per hour, for the exact same job, in the exact same cubicles and in the exact same work area. They seem to think that people they hire as a CRA know better how to do this job and can handle more, but from experience unless your degree is specific to commercial real estate you don't know any more about how to do this job than anyone else when you first start. This really has all the seasoned Market Analysts and managers who make less than them very frustrated. That's right, even the Associate Managers don't make that much, and they train them.

Lastly there seems to be A LOT of bad decision making here. It's a pretty safe bet that you can add at least 6 months to the ETA for anything they promise. They seem to only promote flaky, rude people who aren't that good at their job and don't really care about the advancement of the company. And they are constantly implementing changes that do no good. Not all that long ago they made everyone use a new program they got through purchasing another company, which was a complete nightmare. It was as though nobody even took the time to review the program to see if it suited our needs before just throwing a bunch of people into it. After well over 20-30 market launches through the life of this company they still don't have a good launch method down. They actually had several good ideas for that but for some reason don't implement the good stuff. It's like shooting yourself in the foot constantly.

Long story made short, BAD place to work right now. They may improve over time, who knows?

Advice to Senior ManagementStart by getting the different levels of management in place with decent job descriptions and chains of command where applicable. If a mid-level manager wants to do a lower level managers job, demote them and let them do it. There needs to be MUCH better structure in the management of this company before it is ever going to actually get anywhere. Also, utilize the talent you have and the people who care first, this will get you further, faster.

This company is more disorganized than you could possibly imagine. You would do well to work for a competitor.

Researcher (Current Employee)

ProsSome of my coworkers are great, even though four of them are my direct bosses.

ConsIncompetence from the top down, nepotism, total disregard for the well-being of employees, not even a Christmas email much less a gift, terrible wages (and only received a 3% raise after 18 months with the company.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone needs to be in charge of the big picture and how it relates to everyone's functions.

Worked for Xceligent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xceligent reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xceligent CEO Douglas J. Curry. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Xceligent employees.