Xerox

2.6 1,367 reviews

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

1,367 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance - Strict 9-5 job, with the opportunity to work from home"
    in 76 reviews
  • "Great work/life balance; being able to work from home, etc"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "No raises or bonuses in the last 3 years, longer for others who have been there longer"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Upper management do not have a clear strategy nor do they communicate it well"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Benefits

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Kent, WA

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best thing about Xerox is the benefits. Depending on your shift there's down time to read. There is a few good perks if you meet long list of requirements. Xerox has improved it's training program.

ConsTheirs no culture. Your not working with sharpest tools in shed. Advancement is attainable, but you lose your freedom as your expected to be in the office for longer periods of time with a .40 cent (not percent) raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to believe Xerox corporate works differently then the hubs. The hubs are missing leaders. The leaders in place are hiding behind the vending machine and sugary drinks they consume.

No Stability, Constant furloughs, layoffs and Off-Shoring of US Positions

Finance (Current Employee)
Passaic, NJ

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou have the ability to work from home when necessary. The people are wonderful people to work with.
If you enjoy training India, Jamaica & Manila to take over your job, this is the job for you.

ConsThere are no raises even with outstanding reviews. There are no opportunities for advancement. Did I say, " there are constant threats of layoffs? Xerox makes up for lost revenue by cutting jobs or with furloughs.

Advice to Senior ManagementWise up as you are losing all of your talented employees with your Clients.

Huge corporation, no soul.

Customer Care Assistant (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Xerox full-time for less than a year

Prosreasonable hours, large work area.

Consminimal pay, Takes for ever for corporate to do anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great if you're a Band B lifer.

Global Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee)
Irving, TX

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVirtual working, work-life balance, incredibly low standards and the ability to learn from some really smart folks. Depending on the area of the business, if you have even a modicum of intellect, you'll get visibility and get to touch a lot of different things. This entire review is for the Technology business, and really only for professionals & managers. The associates and basically any non-professional role in Xerox Services will have an entirely different experience. If you are smart, you're pretty safe from RIFs. There's a ton of fat to trim before they start getting to the meat and luckily, RIFs are fairly performance based. Very little favoritism. You have to be an unadapted dinosaur or a very poor performer to get RIFed, unless they outsource/close your BU.

ConsYou won't ever get a raise unless you're a senior, senior leader (SVP+). You'll get grade increases with no compensation increases, which basically strikes one of your chances to get more money, since annual increases are a 'thing of the old economy.' At Xerox, any increases aren't a thing of the new economy either. And heaven forbid you work your way up from the entry level (very possible, I started as a contract associate and ended as a senior second level manager), your money will lag FOREVER.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that freezing wages in 2009 will destroy the Technology business. The next generation of managers are leaving the company at an alarming rate simply because they cannot afford to work at Xerox any longer. I would have stayed forever if the money was keeping current. I ended up getting out when the getting was good. If I were to have received a raise after all those years with not getting one, it would have been so low, so insulting, I likely would have quit on principal. The only people staying around are the people with pensions and the people locked in until retirement. These aren't the words of a bitter, disgruntled ex-employee...I was actually sad to leave my job. These are the words of somebody who likes Xerox but is disappointed in how senior leadership has destroyed morale and erased any chances of it's much-vaunted recovery doing anything to affect top line growth. The only reason bottom line growth has increased is because of the insane cost-cutting measures the company has engaged in.

Downhill for years

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Webster, NY

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEarns you a paycheck, some really great people to work with. One of a few large companies still employing technical folks in the area. Now able to purchase an extra week of vacation/

ConsStagnent compensation, management continues to get bonuses everyone else gets nothing.
Management professes an 'open door' policy but doesn't follow through.
Direction of the company seems rudderless.
Management overly concerned about time in office opposed to getting work done, doesn't allow working for home except in emergencies.
Offshore focus regardless of quality of delivered product or turn around time.

Great People (except those who feel entitled).....Not so great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Life Balance was pretty fair...worked from home two days out of the week. Looks decent on resume for BETTER job opportunities.

ConsNO pay raises SINCE 2007, NO employee recognized incentives, NO 401K match, Constant Furloughs and Lay-offs, Appraisals are useless. Expected to work longer hours to make up for high employee turnovers and layoffs. Employees work hard for the benefit of management and executive bonuses. Morale is VERY low....you can feel the density in the air. Travel per diem is ONLY $50 per day! (Try traveling to New York on such a cheap budget). Per corporate policy "All travelers who's flight is more than 12 hours can travel Business Class" which is NEVER honored. Corporate drive and motivation is: "short-term profits to get their (i.e. management) bonuses, and we'll figure out the rest later"

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in fresh ideas and new ways of thinking to better deliver the "RIGHT" services that Corporations can rely on. Then FIRE YOURSELVES!

Now that you have re-branded yourselves. How about now fixing the very things that you've tried so successfully to blanket over. (i.e. Noted Cons above)

Become the powerhouse that made its mark on the printer world.

Where's the beef?

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI remain to be employed, luckily. I have dodged a few rounds of layoffs and offshoring of jobs. Current manager is outstanding and the ability to work from home is a pleasure.

ConsNo salary increase in 3 years since being outsourced to Xerox, no increase in the 2 years prior to the outsourcing. (5 years total) Statements were made by the outgoing chief in 2012 that merit increases were being reinstated but none seemed to be distributed despite great performance reviews. No other jobs in my field in my location at other companies at my current salary level so I am sort of stuck.to make the best of a not-so-good situation. The customer I support is more demanding than other companies within the XBS base.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut up or shut up. You are loosing good people because of broken promises. The latest from HR is to expect more layoffs. Thanks for the encouragement.

RIFed Twice

Senior Instructional Designer (Contract) (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsIndividual managers are great and the members of the learning and development teams are wonderful to work with.

ConsAbsolutely no focus on the employee in things that matter. Employees in my division haven't received raises in years. Near the end of every quarter employees expect there to be layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reinstate the annual evaluation and raise process.

No stability - Furloughs & Cuts

I have been working at Xerox

ProsThe people are truly awesome. They band together to get great results.

Ability to work from home. This help with balance.

ConsSome have not had rasises for many years. I know if one who has not had a raise in 9.

They use furlough to meet their financial targets.

Decisions are not thought through. They permanently ended the bonus program for most employees, after they already confirmed no payout for 2014. They gave a 3% raise due to ending the bonus. Then they furloughed everyone for a week. Did the furlough offset the raise?

The CEO said publicly they reward top performance. I am a 5/5 employee. I have not seen a performance raise.. ever. The only raise (3%) I received was from taking away my 12% bonus.

They say they've budgeted for raises and that it will likely get paid by xyz, and then don't.

Some are very overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your communication channels. Your managers are getting information at the same time as their reports.

Be clear with performance planning. If you're paying a raise, have the two correlate. Not this maybe third quarter stuff.

Be honest with employees about financials. Trust them to help you get where you need to be. Right now everyone is guessing.

Review your RFPs. Seems like you're making promises that are hard to achieve... in budget.

Focus on retention. Attrition is horrible now.

No Longer an Engineering Company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork-Life balance at the local level was really good. The engineers were all selected from the top of their classes and are world class. The team is strong and the product is interesting, unique and challenging.

ConsCorporate management is steering the company towards the easy buck in services and away from the long heritage of engineering. Promotions are rare and raises are non-existent. Local management is mostly interested and dedicated to the product, but have little or no corporate power.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw away excellent engineering talent because it doesn't fit with your short term (quarterly) profit goals. What can Xerox do with the amazing talent that it recruited? What will it do next to revolutionize the world? Maybe you should look outside of the office...

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!

Xerox Videos

Xerox – Why Work for Us?

Why build your career at Xerox? Because every day you’ll work alongside people who are as passionate about new ideas, customer service and success as you are. In fact, this passion is at the heart of what we do… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xerox reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns. All 1,367 reviews posted anonymously by Xerox employees.