Xerox Reviews

Reset
2.2
Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns
Ursula M. Burns

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance (in 118 reviews)

• Most positions allow some sort of work-from-home or telecommuting (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no raises even with outstanding reviews (in 96 reviews)

• Work/ life balance doesn't exist at the management levels (in 36 reviews)

1. Lots of changes

Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Instructional Designer in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work situations available in my job, including working from home, flex time, and generous sick/vacation time for new employees. Great coworkers, very good with diversity and lots of different jobs available. 401K match available.

Cons

Massive organizational change during business transformation could be planned out a lot better. Culture varies widely between sites, LLCs, and different business groups within Xerox.

Lost vacation, increased cost of benefits, and 401k changes due to moving between LLCs within Xerox. Xerox used to value company loyalty and reward you with more vacation, great retirement incentives, and other perks after being with the company 20+ years. Now you're seen as being crazy for sticking around that long. There has been a very long freeze on raises that is just starting to thaw, so people who have been around for a while typically have lower salaries than new hires into the same position.

Advice to Management

What you're currently doing with focusing on the employee, allowing raises again, and talking about supporting training, that's all good stuff. You best managers talk to the employees and tell them what is going on, what the strategies are, and how the business is changing during the change. The Matrixed management structure only works when the managers talk to their people, with respect, and with actual information about what is going on.

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They let me come back 3 times with a pay raise each time.

Cons

Employees are treated like robots. If you're salary, you will work long days and nobody cares as long as the work gets done. Morale means nothing at Xerox. If you're not happy, they will be happy to pay someone off-shore for 1/4 your salary.

Advice to Management

Your people are your entire business. Treat them right.

3. Great employees, poor management & much confusion

Former Employee - Perl LAMP Developer in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Perl LAMP Developer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Xerox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The developers have a great culture of sharing and collaboration. Worked with stellar developers who had presented at OSCON and who had taught Perl. Excellent collection of developer books free to browse.

Cons

I was told when hired that I would be mentored for 6 months before I was on my own. After 2 months, my trainer took a job with another company. Then the CEO decided to restructure. Developers were overburdened with work and when my mentor left nobody had time to answer questions. I was let go after 3 great months despite my work having been given high marks a week earlier, due to the aforementioned restructuring. After the layoff, I was told by insiders that it was well know that the Wilsonville facility had been going downhill (losing employees and cutbacks) for the last 3 years.

Advice to Management

Offer decent salaries and perks to keep decent developers on staff. Offer remote development option (work from home) as the norm, not the exception.

Xerox ~ As a Care Specialist

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Bonuses
    401k, Medical/Dental, Sustainability,
    Transfer to other call centers.
    A lot of great experience dealing with multiple styles of clients can come from a job like this.

Cons

There is no sick leave, points come off if your not feeling good if you cannot make it to work, unless you are able to get time approved.
    it's a hard uphill battle.
    Harder jobs in within the Call Center environment pay less than if you are on the phones. This make no sense. You make the most as an agent, over what you can get as a supervisor, trainer, or Team Lead.
    No real way to make more than you feel you are worth.
    No De-Stress or Gym room,
    No good food with any value. All comfort foods.
    Constant privileges being taken away, and always feel like you are going to lose your job over menial concerns.
    Slow computers!

Advice to Management

Give better bonuses, yearly pay raises, more competitive reasons why to succeed as an agent, for the company, beyond yourself, and PAID group activities. Agents work just as hard as the next person.

6. Okay

Current Employee - Acct Manager in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Acct Manager in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Xerox

Pros

Nice campus. Work life balance.

Cons

It's becoming a ghost town. Raises hardly exist. Moral is not good.

Worst managed and lowest paid call center in the Portland area

Current Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Care Supervisor in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Anyone can get hired to work here as long as you can pass a drug test and haven't had a felony within 7 years which means they are only attracting bottom of the barrel employees. If you become friendly with the SBU-level managers, then you are guaranteed a promotion no matter how poorly you perform: favoritism prevails.

Cons

The company has an extremely high turnover rate because they believe there's always someone else willing to step in and replace the departing employee. Employees are regularly lied to and told performance reviews and raises are coming however Xerox never delivers on the promise. HR complaints are only addressed if they involve race or violence. Sexual harassment is the norm. No opportunities exist for employment advancement. No training is provided to move-up in the company. Investors should be aware that SBU-level and above management are not held accountable for their actions, and they are eating the company alive from the inside out pilfering profits and destroying infrastructure.

Advice to Management

CEO level management needs to clean house of all leadership between SBU-level and VP-level.

8. Working with good people but under poor management

Former Contractor - Production in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Contractor - Production in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Xerox as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with good people who usually knew their job and wanted to be productive. It was a good environment for being able to work as a team.

Cons

The shift I worked on was managed by someone who tried to micromanage everything and was making more mistakes than most of their workers, which ultimately caused a lot of rework and slowed down production. The manager on that shift was very incompetent and angered a number of workers who either quit or retired.

Advice to Management

Upper management doesn't seem to care about how well, or how badly their middle managers perform. They don''t seem to have any kind of training program for improving first line managers who direct worker's production. Good management should have their finger on the pulse of overall production, not only the numbers but the workers as well. During my time there at Xerox, I worked under four different managers who cared about the numbers but not about the workers.

Only worth it if you don't have to spend a lot on gas to get to work.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Xerox

Pros

Easy to get hired as they do need plenty of people to fill the nearly 500 employee positions. Keep in mind this is a call center.

Cons

Low salary about $10/hour can go up to about $13 with good sales. Really working for sprint not Xerox.

Advice to Management

Be very clear with what the job description is. i Had no idea i would be working in a call center environment for sprint.

Culture refreshment and a fountain of youth shot in the arm needed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Working around appointments and family is easy. I believe this depends on your manager though this flexibility is something that is talked about.

Cons

Senior leadership seems directionless and many times strongly falls into the "I don't know and I don't want to know" type of mentality. There is no cross team coordination. No investment in the employees. Each year I stay I take a pay cut due to slowly deteriorating benefits.

Advice to Management

Be a better judge of those you promote to middle management. At the very least require that they attend management classes. Listen to your employees. And please begin investing in them. These past few years it has been painful to watch the brightest leave.

Place is a joke

Former Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Tech Support Specialist in Tigard, OR

I worked at Xerox full-time

Pros

They do keep you full of sugar. When morale starts to sag, they bust out the Costco bags of candy. Still pay you minimum wage with no chance of a raise. but they give you candy!

Cons

Management and leadership in general. They tell you that you can make $X an hour if you are good at what you do, then they start to take that away from you due to their "rules".

If you get a negative review by someone who you never met, who say just spilled beer and toasted a $2000 IMac, you have to take that as a negative because this idiot broke their own computer. You can't fight these because while you did your job to the letter, the idiot always wins.

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for and you, time and again chose get the cheapest people you can and wonder why morale sucks and turnover is astronomical. When you do get good people, you look for reasons to get rid of them. I was amazed this place is still in business.

Showing 138 of 2,604 reviews