Xerox

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.6 1,610 reviews

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

Pros
  • Friendly working environment and work life balance should be the top most pros (in 98 reviews)

• Work from home; hoping for change now that they got rid of previous ACS-INC CEO (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises for over 5 years, I TRULY CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY I STILL WORK HERE (in 100 reviews)

• Senior Management needs some improvement (especially in Services) (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights
1,610 Employee Reviews

intern review

Prosgood pay, intelligent staff, public recognition

Consbad work environment, unorganized management

contractors' point of view

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some great ways to find out what's going on in the company - the internal website, for example. But generally there are a lot of meetings and seemingly endless bureaucracy to get anything done.

ConsThere have been so many layoffs, people who have remained are overworked, doing the work of several people. It's difficult to find out who is responsible for what.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeekly one on ones are great, but don't make promises that cannot be delivered (ex: saying you will be hired as FTE). When there is a downturn, contractors are the first to go.

Wow, What a ride!

Field Engineer (Former Employee) Webster, NY

ProsAfter having worked for Xerox Corporation for 25 I truly loved the three Jobs I had. My Co workers and management always care about each customer and their issues and work to resolve each issue. for the last 14 years as a Field Engineer, I worked daily Hotline resolving Technical and Customer issues and really felt I was making a difference. As well as hotline I was responsible to performed Escalations through out North America to resolve tougher issues which required On Site diagnoses. Management allowed the freedom to formulate the right solution and take those action to get the Customer up and running. Xerox provided me the opportunity to return to RIT and to make a difference in the Xerox Community to assure diversity was achieved for all Employees.

ConsFor the last year I was Managed remotely by a Manager whom I saw once a year and my 50 to 60 hour work weeks were not Value Add.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the last few years it seemed Lay off and out-sourcing of very talented Employees became a fact of life and those left behind to perform the work of four to meet the Customer Requirements. I pry the Xerox will not IRIF, VRIF & Benchmark itself to follow KODAK's path.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, solid jumping off point for new sales

ProsGreat training for new hires

ConsLess flexibility than expected in sales

EMPLOYEE

ProsGreat company and there is a great work life balance

ConsNo room for growth. Great to enter and get your feet wet

Gave me chance when no one else would

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI started during the annual enrollment period as project based and was hired full time. They offer full training of their systems and the core and client specifics for the job you'll be doing. The hours rotate which sometimes makes it difficult the schedule things in advance, but management is flexible with letting you change shifts with other employees. I feel you get what you put into the job. If you want to learn, you will. If you want to work, you work.

ConsYou are brought in as project based at one salary and seem to get stuck there no matter how many extra disciplines you learn. Then they bring new people on for the next annual enrollment period at a higher rate than what senior employees make. There were a lot of layoffs last year, which I hope won't be a trend. There is a policy that you can take 3 sick days for only one occurrence which people seem to abuse. You may take 1 sick day a year, which counts as an occurrence while another employee takes 3 days and still counts as 1 occurrence. what happened to "if you are out for 3 days, you need to bring a dr. note"?. Management does listen to their employees but I feel sometimes their hands are tied on what they can accomplish.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your most loyal employees. It's a little disheartening to find out someone considered to be a senior employee has only been there for 1 year. I've only met a handful of people who have been there longer than 3 years. Do you really save more money training all new people over and over again rather than support the ones with experience and reward them for the hard work they do for you? Please realize the ones who work hard because they are there because they want to be.

Fun job!

Floater (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsAnne Mulcahey was CEO when I worked at Xerox. Was a "floater". Loved being sent from site to site. Learned so much more that way. Great people to work with! Managers went out of their way to help when I moved out of state. Technicians were willing to show me how to do things.

ConsRetirement Plan stinks. Outrageous costs. Cons when I was working? Honestly can't say I had any. As a floater I had phone, car, internet, expenses paid. It was a good company at the time. Been out for several years now and I understand it has really gone downhill under the new CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this time, I'm not in position to give any suggestions. Better retirement plan/costs to retires. They really suck.

I love coming to work each day.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsJob flexibility - If you want to be empowered to help make your company a success, Xerox is the place. There's nothing like seeing a way to bring value to your customers and retain business and be allowed to pursue it. In the years I have worked for this company there hasn't been a day when I didn't love the job (or jobs) I was doing. We get to meet great people, work with awesome companies, and promote market leading technology and service.

ConsThe one con is that just other companies across the globe, Xerox is forever looking for ways to do more with less and grow revenue. This strategy is not always employee or salary friendly. You have to work very hard to be the best at your craft and it still may not save you from the chopping block...C'est la vie!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI challenge Xerox management to stray from the good old boy "who you know" mind set and take the time to develop employees like they did in the past. I honestly believe Xerox is passing on a gold-mine of employee talent because managers tend to center their focus of attention around a select few "favorite" employees. All through history the great innovators have always been the ones who didn't fit in but who's ideas have become a way of life.

Great experience but so happy to move on.

Services & Solutions Executive and Color Monochrome Sales Executive (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt's a great company to have on your resume... if you can sell a copier you can sell anything! It's not easy, but if you are good at it you can make a lot of money.

ConsThey have made significant cuts to integral support resources. Each year I was with the company (3.5), I noticed I had less and less time to focus on selling as I was dealing more and more with little fires- customer sat issues with service/supplies, and ESPECIALLY biling.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead your team with respect and dignity- not by making them fear they will lose their job if they aren't doing well. Coach and mentor them so they can improve! Also- for C-Level management (aka Ursula Burns) STOP MAKING CUTS to the support resources like service techs, analysts, and sales reps too! You are taking "do more with less" WAY too literally!!! You will continue to lose amazing talent if you keep it up.

Long Term Relationship with Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStellar Human Resources area and excellent Information Technology area.

ConsThe new senior executives could not yet keep improving the Human Resources aspects, but eventually they will.

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!