Xerox Reviews

2.4
1,863 Reviews

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns
Ursula M. Burns

Pros
  • Friendly working environment and work life balance should be the top most pros (in 115 reviews)

• Work from home; hoping for change now that they got rid of previous ACS-INC CEO (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises in years, upper management gets richer while everyone else suffers (in 92 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance does not exist because you don't get any life to balance against work (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Services group is becoming the Service Merchandise of the consulting market

I worked at Xerox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Supports virtual work
    Health plans of high quality and good value
    Finds excellent client facing billable employees

Cons

No work life balance.
    Complete home office expense born by employee
    Supervisors/managers do not have functional knowledge of work being sold to clients
    While the management structure has been flattened, there is still too much (managerial/support) overhead (80+% of bill rate to client)
    ACS/Xerox Learning Services is moving away from Learning Consulting [which they were good at] to Staff Augmentation [which they are not good at]

Start cutting the accounting management and staff. They have created a condition within Xerox where it is impossible to argue with spreadsheets, no matter how inane of insane the rationale would be when applying an 'average person' standard to the outcomes of the decisions.

The company is using metrics and analytic for decision making that is detrimental to the source of their income, the billable employee. It is creating a demand for non-billable employees (overhead) to further find cost savings that result in the elimination of the local billable resource in lieu of an off-shore resource, but no real reduction in the managerial/support structure.

Good company, overall

Former Employee - Client Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Xerox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in a casual environment without managers that hover. I was trusted to do my job and keep our client satisfied.

Cons

I got stuck into a position that I didn't get hired for. I started as an admin assistant. I was assigned to a new position for business politics' sake. I made the best of it.

Xerox needs and overhaul. Forget managed print and move on to something meaningful...

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Xerox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Also great customers. Love my job and it is a good company with some archaic infrastructure that is in desperate need of an overhaul.

Cons

Industry is declining rapidly and competitors are giving away equipment and maintenance at less than half the cost of Xerox. In bidding wars Xerox is not very willing to budge without an act of congress. Internal processes get in the way of success and comp plan provides for charge backs and sales reversals which are very demotivating.

Once commission is paid don't take it back in the form of cancels. Losing to the competition is our penalty. Cancels are the companies fault for not bending on pricing and having nothing to do with the ability of the salesperson. Xerox is slowly leaching away footprint to the competition with rigid pricing requirements.

Service Delivery Manager

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager

I have been working at Xerox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance and flexibility

Cons

No employee developments plans or raises

Xerox use to be a great company to work for there were many growth opportunities. When it comes to document solutions they are second to none.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Xerox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They had a very good training program at all levels. For the most part they always tried to do the right thing for the employee.

Cons

They seem to be stuck in a dwindling industry. They are trying to reinvent themselves with other types of business solutions. While this is happening the are forced to layoff many people. With that stagnant growth pattern it would make it a very difficult place to establish a career.

Try getting into the smartphone and mobile apps industry for another business segment. I would not try selling device but making smartphones better with document migration and other documents solutions

Buck Consultants in transition

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Xerox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomous working environment where you can create your own opportunities.

Cons

You have to make your own opportunities. No formal mentoring process. No one is looking for how to help you succeed. Lack of resources on the West Coast across all practices. Investment in Principals who promise to bring in more client work, but they never do. Meanwhile, Director level and below works like dogs. Virtual working environment that lacks the systems and disciplines to support this model. Left alone to create new opportunities, but can be second-guessed. Business process systems cumbersome and a real mess sometimes. Lack of consistent bonus structure or meaningful professional development opportunities. Pressure to never say no. Typical to be expected to take on so many projects you work 70 to 80 hours a week for five or six months. Not sustainable. Constant back biting among leadership. Not professional. Disappointing behaviors.

I think Xerox management is recognizing business system weakness and is rolling out new initiatives to address the cumbersome business systems. Proof will be in the outcomes. Truly need to focus on career paths and formalized professional development. Need to define the vision for Buck. Need to create an environment where it is easier to define work loads so even up to the Director level people are not working 80 hours a week for half the year. These unrealistic expectations are why I am looking for a new employer after eight years. Every year it promises to get better, but it never does. Instead, the more you succeed, the more is expected of you.

Used to be a good place to work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Xerox full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't really know anymore. Loved coming to work. Stayed on without a raise because I loved my job and my supervisor is terrific

Cons

I used to love coming to work everyday because it was a pleasant place to work. I loved my job, not so much anymore. Too much politics. No raise in eight or more years.

Great experience and excellent people to work with!

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Wilsonville, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Xerox as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, best group for knowledge and sharing of that knowledge anywhere. Super helpful and more than happy to help you help them and Xerox as a company. The technology is constantly evolving. The location in Wilsonville is central to all things on the Willamette.

Cons

The contract was too short, I really enjoyed working there and wished there had been an FTE position available. Hoping there comes one in the near future!

I was contract to Xerox, I enjoyed working there very much.

This job is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Buck-Associate
    Current Employee - Buck-Associate

I have been working at Xerox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Buck Consultants still tries to maintain it's culture in a post Xerox environment. Buck HR staff is the BEST there is. Local market leadership does value folks who work hard. Ability to work from home multiple days a week. Promotions, bonuses, and pay increases are there - I know because I have received all three this year. If you are willing to work hard the right people will take notice and make sure you are compensated.

Cons

Buck really did used to be a classy place to work. It is losing it's esteem in the marketplace. Since the Xerox takeover, Buck has been forced to squeeze into a box that doesn't really fit who we are and what we do. It feels like we are being forced to sell a canned product to our clients, where once we were allowed the freedom and creativity to find solutions for them. Buck has lost so many talented people over the last few years and with that, valuable clients. No budgets for employee events, so leadership pays out of their own pockets for any events which are usually only once a year in Dec. Cutting nominal expenses such as coffee and water service for the "worker bees" was a great way to slow down production and show them how under valued they are. The ridiculous amounts of $ they have spent trying to rebrand Buck would be better spent trying to retain the talent that made them money in the first place. Just sayin....

This is to UPPER management, the ones too high on the food chain to care about me or my work on a cellular level. Value the peeps that drive your revenue. Don't just say it in your 6 plank strategy. Did you think we didn't notice that you left us off of the first roll out of the "5 Plank Strategy" People have ALWAYS and WILL ALWAYS be the number one factor driving your bottom line.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Xerox as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technically challenging work but again depends on the team and the project. I've been lucky.
    Good opportunity to expand your horizon as a developer.
    Good projects and work environment in terms of colleagues.

Cons

As with any big organization, management sucks most of the times.
    Again depends on the group. I've been shuffled to multiple groups and have seen the best and worse.

Good developers are important for the quality of product.
    Don't try to go cheap of resources.