Xerox

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

All the wrong decisions by top management.

I T (Former Employee)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the lower-level employees and their immediate Managers are skilled, intelligent, experienced hard-working individuals. They value each other, and are all that's making the company stay alive right now.

ConsThe company says it values their employees, but does everything *opposite* to show it. Senior Mgt. thinks the *only* way to show profit is to layoff more and more employees, and outsource everything to the lowest (and least qualified and most incompetent) bidders in foreign countries. (Layoffs = C_O bonuses and raises!) That strategy has gotten them nowhere. They completely lost the Printer market, which they used to pretty much own. The CEO and those directly under her should all resign in shame for their incompetence.

Advice to Senior Management1) Freezing wages and laying off 50% of the workforce to make the bottom line of Profit increase, just so you can give YOURSELVES bonuses and raises, does not make a company thrive.
2) Outsourcing work offshore to incredibly incompetent providers only means that the U.S. employees have to FIX all that work or just do it themselves anyway. That doesn't save money.
3) Most employees hate working there now, and only do so for the paycheck. In the past 12 years, they have lost all their passion. Many who have not already left for better employers are actively looking.

Very Poor Recruitment and Blatant Lies

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Xerox full-time for less than a year

ProsNo Pros, only a negative experience. The best I can say is the recruiter was slightly charismatic.

ConsRecruiter was interviewing 9 candidates in one hour, exhibiting a "rush-rush" process. The recruiter ran in and out of the doors while scrambling for paperwork. No medical/dental programs were discussed. The starting pay is only $10.00 hourly with an incentive system designed to reduce opportunities for wage increases. They expect candidates to attend drug screenings on weekends if needed. Then, while knowing that I am an HR graduate with knowledge of federal and state laws regarding drug screening policies, the recruiter rescinded the offer stating that I passed the 48-hour time limit. The interview took place on a Friday afternoon. Her rebuttal was that it was my fault for missing the appointment, and that the policy is federally required. When I requested a link to the federal website for this unheard-of policy, she reworded her claim to the policy being a "federal HR" policy of Xerox. In other words, the real answer is Xerox's rigid policy prevents recruiters from extending drug screen timeframes. In fact, the recruiter offered to start training on October 1st, then requested to know if I could start tomorrow, literally!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease exercise more consideration when you interview overqualified candidates for what are call-center jobs with "dead end" environments. With a rushed candidate-screening process, anxious attitude of getting new hires trained and in the call center seats, no objective procedure for career advancement or compensation, no mention of insurance or fringe benefits, and immediate behaviors exhibiting desire to conceal one's words or intentions, Xerox really has dead weight waiting to be thrown out. The B2B unit is not developing well.

Great opportunities if you're ready, willing, and able to look!

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've built a great career at Xerox - I started as a manufacturing engineer had have had the opportunity to take on many different roles since then in engineering and operations. If you're willing to push a little bit, network, and search there are still a lot of opportunities out there. It's a huge and ever-evolving company and if you can evolve with it you will succeed.

ConsLike any big company, there are multiple layers of management, and some managers area better than others. I've had assignments with a lot of responsibility and visibility, and I've had assignments where I wouldn't see my manager for a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that this is a technology company - and without improving our own technologies we won't be around for long. Use the brainpower in the company to branch out into new businesses, not branch out into new businesses and outsource the building of new technologies.

Very poor behavior of Mid-Level Management

Customer Care Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Xerox full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are no good reasons to work in the Xerox Building 200 (Verizon Wireless) Call Center.

ConsMid-Level Management ignores civil rights violations of its Customer Care Supervisors. Violates employee rights under the Whistle-blowers act when civil rights violations are reported.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of supervisors that violate state and federal laws. Eliminate the racism in your Building 200 (Verizon Wireless) Call Center.

Wake up call

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place for diversity. Growth if you are the chosen one.

ConsBad place for veterans. Little opportunity, no mentoring , grunt.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Burns. Manage, not bow. Be leaders.

If you really need a job and can't get hired anywhere else, apply here

Customer Care Assistant (Current Employee)
Webster, NY

I have been working at Xerox full-time for less than a year

ProsUpward Mobility, you can be promoted very quickly. This is probably because people quit so often.

ConsHIGHLY unprofessional environment, policies and work schedules constantly changed. Very high turnover, even with supervisors!! Supervisors quit while training incoming employees and there was NO feedback whatsoever. Rigid break schedule, even scheduled bathroom breaks! No respect for upper management and no respect for employees all around. Just a poor setup, Xerox is not what it used to be

Great out of college, no room to grow

Process Specialist (Current Employee)
Webster, NY

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than a year

ProsAccept recent graduates from college with no experience
Great resume builder
Very technical
Pay is better than most jobs for people with no experience

ConsNever feel appreciated as an employee
No room for advancement
Everything gets tied up in red tape
Upper and middle management don't treat average workers well

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees for input on changes that directly affect them.

If innovation hit them over the head, they wouldn't know it.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent long term vacation benefits.
Casual work environment.

ConsLack of visibility and growth. No conception of what quality work is and who does it. Impossible schedule typically slip, no one is responsbile. "Pay for performance" is a joke. Attempted to outsource most of the engineering functions (perhaps they realize they don't know how to manage engineering). Lack of vision and focus. The "core competencies" (mechanical engineering/optics) they eliminated to try to focus on their "core incompetency" software.

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably unimportant, since Xerox wants to be a call center.

Keep heading in wrong direction...

Senior Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCan work with great group of people at work group level
Good work, life balance in most positions
Decent autonomy to accomplish work objectives

ConsManagement delusional about results
"Silo" approach to business creates atmosphere for poor decision making
Benefits continue to be eroded
Constant layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to the values of Joe Wilson.
Start thinking about long term health instead of quarterly results.
Get executive pay in line with results
Realize that you actually have to value your employees, not just SAY that you do.

20+ years with Xerox, but unsure of the future

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xerox full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the people you work with day-to-day are high-quality and committed to doing their best.
Still some opportunities for product development.
Expected growth for services-related work.

ConsMove from "image on paper" products to services is taking over.
Future for product development is questionable.
Little in terms of growth opportunities over the past several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clear/honest about future of product development.

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!

Xerox Videos

Xerox – Why Work for Us?

Why build your career at Xerox? Because every day you’ll work alongside people who are as passionate about new ideas, customer service and success as you are. In fact, this passion is at the heart of what we do… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xerox reviews and ratings in Webster, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Xerox employees.