Xerox

Xerox Chairman and CEO Ursula M. Burns

Ursula M. Burns

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Xerox - Wilsonville campus

R & D Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsA great team of people that work together well to develop printers. The focus is on solving problems and there is not a lot of politics (at least at the technical / non-management level). Also the company is big, so if a needed resource is not available on site it can usually be found elsewhere in the company.

ConsPost 2012 the focus of the company shifted to from product development to services, and most of the Wilsonville technical development staff has left. The morale of the remaining people is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementProject schedules are almost always too optimistic. The run over causes groups to continue to support projects when people and other resources were planned to go on to other work. It seems that project planning could be more accurate, if only by factoring in history from past projects.

Great place for gaining software engineering experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsWorking in the Technology group you have a chance to work on really cool projects and learn from the best people in the industry.
    Laid back and friendly atmosphere.

ConsSalary is kind of low and almost no annual bonuses. No free perks. Pretty expensive health coverage. Feels like the company is in survival mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the Technology division they're on the right track, but a radical change in direction at the executive level is more than necessary, it's a must!

Management seems lost

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsLoved the work and the coworkers around me. Coworkers more than willing to help each other out and very supportive of each other.

ConsA lot of employees acting very busy, but really not working at all. Managers have little connection with their employees, so when it's lay off time, they don't defend the positions, but worry about themselves. Managers don't respect current CEO, and they are not afraid to voice that dissatisfaction. Every meeting I was in there were complaints about "xerox Mothership" and senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring all contractors and retain employees who are willing to work hard for you. The consistent layoffs while contractors stay makes for terrible morale. Dump the managers who have been there 20+ yrs and consistently tell their employees how terrible senior management is and what a terrible company Xerox is to work for. Until consistent layoffs stop, I can't recommend anyone go to work here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If executive management would only get out of the way

Engineering Support Technician (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsI worked with, mostly, great people on great products. Chances to expand my knowledge.

ConsTheft of intellectual property was rampant among some engineers and most middle management. If you were not deemed worthy of the credit for an idea it didn't matter that you had it someone else got the credit (and cash). HIGHLY UNETHICAL

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery employee has value and needs to be paid a decent wage. 6+ years of no (or a single) raise does not inspire confidence that you give a whit about the employees that make YOUR great pay possible

The printer division lost its way, but through an accusation the old employees may have a second chance.

Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsVery smart peers. Lots of "real" engineering and invention. Good work life balance.

ConsConstant cost pressures and lack of assurance of a future led to poor moral and general sense of doom and gloom. They also had a lot of 15+ year employees which limited interesting opportunities for young engineers and led to a lot of attrition.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe division I worked for was downsized in two rounds and eventually sold off. Any advice I might have for senior management is a bit too late. I am hopefully that the good first and local managers that remain after all the turmoil will be able to rebuild a positive and exciting work place for the Portland area

No Longer an Engineering Company

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsWork-Life balance at the local level was really good. The engineers were all selected from the top of their classes and are world class. The team is strong and the product is interesting, unique and challenging.

ConsCorporate management is steering the company towards the easy buck in services and away from the long heritage of engineering. Promotions are rare and raises are non-existent. Local management is mostly interested and dedicated to the product, but have little or no corporate power.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw away excellent engineering talent because it doesn't fit with your short term (quarterly) profit goals. What can Xerox do with the amazing talent that it recruited? What will it do next to revolutionize the world? Maybe you should look outside of the office...

Used to be a great place to work

Wilsonville, OR

ProsWhen I started, there was a work-life balance. You can still have flexible work hours, or work from home, but there's no balance. There is room for advancement, but only because they're laying off all the people above you.

ConsLayoffs happen every quarter. They lay off the people who know what they're doing, and then wonder why things don't get done. They told salaried employees to get used to "mandatory overtime." There's no sense behind it. The numbers have to look good for that quarter, and it doesn't matter if that means furloughing the people needed to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoffs aren't the answer. You don't cut someone's legs off and then tell them to run a marathon.

Okay Place to Work

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsGood work family life balance

ConsFinancially Xerox does not take care of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease think about taking better care of your employees who perform, so they can be retained.

Xerox is a decent place to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsGreat people, good work, great work life balance.

ConsLots of downsizing, don't expect annual salary increases, they've shipped a lot of jobs overseas.

Experience depends on your team

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Wilsonville, OR

ProsXerox has several clusters of very talented people and under the right managers employees gain good growth opportunities.

ConsThe quality of one's work experience was highly dependent on having good immediate managers - creating a great work environment definitely wasn't the overall company culture.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention - good people are leaving for a reason!

Worked for Xerox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xerox reviews and ratings in Wilsonville, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Xerox CEO Ursula M. Burns. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Xerox employees.