Xi3

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jason Sullivan

Great coworkers, terrible everything else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI met some of the best people while working there

ConsTerrible decision making by executives and upper management. You live in constant fear of losing your job without cause because you see it happen every day. The product is cool, but not well engineered and is too expensive to produce and still have a margin, so the revenue is lacking

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees. You get better productivity out of happy employees. Let your talented middle management make decisions and stop micro managing. Stop lying to everyone

Please....don't leave your current job for this!

Technology Solutions Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI learned a lot about technology from Xi3. Not because of the training I received (there was none), but because of what I was forced to teach myself, and because of the amazing coworkers I had there. The biggest (only, really) Pro of Xi3 was the people that worked there with me. Sadly, 99% of the good ones are gone now. However, I made life-long friends, and met some of the coolest people alive while we all suffered through together!

ConsWhere to start? This is one of the most shady, dishonest, and sketchy place I've ever worked. Horrible CEO. Very smart man when it comes to tech, clueless when it comes to running a business. There's not much more I can say than has already been said here. He would fire people at random, entire departments at times. Everyone is hired on as a temp, and being "an Xi3'er" is touted as some great honor only bestowed upon the most worthy of beings.....Sure, they tell you all about the uncapped commissions, amazing benefits, free gym memberships etc. when you interview, but no one actually get that unless they're "hired on." Getting hired on is near impossible, and only about five people were actually Xi3 employees. The rest of us get no PTO, no benefits, etc. Recently, the company has "laid off" their entire workforce....sales is down to three or four people. Marketing and Operations are gone completely. Accounting is the only department still in tact, but that's only temporary, and they will be the next hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting one delusional man have all the power. I realize it's "his" company, but if there is any hope at success there needs to be a board of directors, and people in place who actually know what the crap they're talking about. Get rid of all but....maybe one....of your regional managers, and the VP of Sales. Hire a training staff, and increase the training to more than "here's a data sheet, read it."

Great start up, when they hire me back on we will all be rich!

Technology Solutions Manager (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe compensation wasn't high at first but the owner and CEO was willing to offer large commission bonuses for hardworking employees. I loved my sales manager, and the HR guy they were incredibly driven, motivational, and hardworking men who I admire and look up to.

ConsThe only difficulty came from a lack of experience company wide, and I don't blame anybody, for this, however, I didn't feel like I received the necessary training at first, however, I did feel like it motivated me to learn on my own the company inside and out, because I had to research and question everything on my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire me back on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great product, terrible management

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe company does make and sell an awesome product - a PC desktop the size of a Rubik's Cube.

ConsMost of the "management" in this company acts like their gangster-wannabees, while others dress like their upscale hookers. Its obvious that their sales managers have never help a real sales job in their lives. Several years of doing business, and they've only sold a couple thousand computers !?!??!
    Their sales should be in the millions by now! They say they want big numbers, but they want you to spend all your time calling mom-&-pop stores, small car dealerships, and Indian casinos.
    Additionally, they tell so many lies, lying about compensation, about their finances, and only keeping the employees that are too ignorant to know any better.
    Their lack of transparency causes any major potential customers, to become disinterested.
    Again.... great product, but tragic and pathetic management!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of 2/3 of your "management". Instead hire outside consultants, or get some real qualified talent into the company, to run it properly, and don't think a $2k deal is the same type of sale as a $2 million deal.

Lies and manipulation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the coworkers were great to work with before they were fired.
    The product design is kind of cool.

Cons- Many have been told that they would receive raises after 6 months and again after 1 year but they never happen. Instead people get fired for bringing it up or complaining. Some have worked there for 2 years or more and never had a review from management or HR. Many others were given similar empty promises
    - Product is way overpriced and very unreliable
    - Not adequate testing for products before they are released and using poor quality components that fail frequently
    - The selling point was that due to the modular design, one board could be removed and replaced with an upgraded version very easily but they do not have any replacement boards available or planned to be released
    - Upper management is a joke, think they can take advantage of everyone in the company and anyone they do business with and get away with it
    - There are a lot of secrets and questionable business practices here. People are fired for very strange reasons and others are allowed to stay even though there is blatant incompetence.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking you are Steve Jobs and your company is Apple. There is a reason why the company is failing and your employees are leaving. Your product is mediocre at best but you still insist on pricing it well above similarly equipped systems. You don't care about any of your employees or enough about your product, you just want to get it out the door and expect people will eat it up. The Xi3 computer is a great idea but poorly executed, you should sell the company and get out so that people who know what they are doing can run the business.

It's Amateur Hour all day long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsYou can get a sales job with little or no previous experience.

Product concept is kind of cool, fun, and cute.

ConsThere's a reason why all the reviews on here are so negative. I agree with most of the other comments, so I won't bother repeating them.

Maybe the nicest way of saying this is that Xi3 has the same problem as a lot of tech startup companies. The founder had some cool ideas, generated excitement and got things off the ground, but as the company grows different talent is needed and the founder doesn't want to let go of the reigns. At Xi3 the problem is especially bad. The CEO/Founder appears uninterested, inexperienced, and generally incapable of managing a larger corporation, yet insists on making all decisions himself while not being good at listening to advice. It's a toxic combination, and probably the main reason why the company is in the state it's in now..

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some way to get the CEO to focus his talents on inventing or visionary stuff, but leave the day-to-day running of the company to professionals. There are already a few good middle and upper-level managers there, but they could use a few more folks who have actual experience running a tech company.

And stop the constant, random hiring and firing - especially of salespeople. It creates bad morale. It's sloppy. Take more time in the interview process, be more selective in hiring, and try to keep people longer.

All Lies, Scandalous Affairs and Dishonesty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe thought that you may be successful, then you realize you had been lied to the whole time.

ConsYou are initially hired thinking you are an Xi3 employee then to soon find out you are considered a temp and have ZERO Health Benefits, PTO or Paid Holidays. I noticed all of these reviews have mentioned that Xi3 is full of lies and it's true, beginning with the day that you are hired. They say you will become an Xi3 employee after a few months but quite honestly there are temps that have been there for over a year and still waiting for that day to come. They keep feeding you full of lies and promises but then one day out of no where you will be fired and you will realize that everything you believed in was not true. You will ask yourself "why did I get fired". Let me explain why, the CEO is a egotistical jerk who thinks the world revolves around him. He walks around and fires people every two weeks (we are talking approximately 5 - 10 ppl at a time). He once fired the whole entire marketing department for no reason. He can care less about you or your family and doesn't even think twice about it. This explains why he keeps you as a temp and not an actually Xi3 Employee otherwise they would be paying a TON of people unemployment (think about it). He is a sexist pig, he wants to be someone that he is not and that's why his company is slowly failing. He wants to spend money like he is wealthy however he is slowly jeopardizing the company as well as the fate of everyone's job security. He will never hold company parties because he is too cheap to do so. He has no idea what family values are and is careless when it comes to anything regarding your family. There are constant affairs between C Level Executives that go on in order to try and move up in the company, GROSS. Good luck! I think you should take everyones advice that has been given on Glassdoor and save yourself the hurt and good possibility of being fired. People have quit really good stable jobs to come here and to soon find themselves jobless for no reason at all, and with no explanation. Take our advice and don't risk it!

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the lies.

Used-car dealership on steroids - that is, sadly, the culture.

Technology Solutions Manager (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMost people only work there a short time. I am no exception. Few actually last long enough to reap any benefits. The only pro to this company is the people I worked with. All very nice and professional people who were a joy to be around. I actually enjoyed going to work and seeing them everyday.

The products are actually pretty cool too.

ConsUnfortunately, CEO hires and fires at will without reason. One day you think you're going to be highly successful - maybe even promoted, and the next you get a call from the temp agency (who you ACTUALLY work for) and you're out the door.

Also, the sales training is inadequate and unrealistic. They train you for one week and expect you to turn out results like you're a seasoned sales professional. They don't stand for developing relationships with people in order to build long-term income. This is a used-car dealership on steroids.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's only one guy running the show here. If he thinks you need to go - for whatever reason - then you go. There needs to be mid and senior level managers in place to create a buffer and stand up for high potential employees. Of course, there's probably too much fear in that environment for anyone to tell the boss he's making a mistake. Guaranteed to get you fired if you're not a YES man.

All Lies

Account Representative (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsNone - all lies. They just want you to drink the kool-aid (that's their words)

ConsThey tell you that you will be an employee and tell you what the commission is. They day you start your job you find out you are not an employee, you are a temp. No vacation pay, no benefits, no holiday pay, NOTHING. You don't even get access to the building until you "drink the kool-aid". You have to call people at the office to let you in. The big kicker is that they don't pay you commission until you are an employee. So far, only some of the manager are employees. They lie, lie lie. They say "after 3 mos, if you prove yourself, you will become an employee, then they say a year. Turns out NONE of the salespeople are employees, and some have been there over a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying and be honest. Tell people before they quit their jobs, that they will not be an employee and will not make commission.

Completely disappointing- wish I had stayed at my previous job, as bad as it was.

Technology Solutions Manager (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWonderful coworkers for the most part.
    Managers are very friendly and encouraging as well.
    They invent fun ways of motivating people to sell.
    Awesome location of you enjoy the city (three blocks or so from City Creek).
    Gym membership discount after your first 90 days.
    Fun environment.

Cons-Total chaos when plans do not go accordingly, which is often.
    -Absolutely no training to speak of. They did start doing once a week training before I left, but it wasn't much help.
    -You have to research your own leads for the most part. They do send you some, but the point is to get through to huge companies, which is a very difficult thing to do.
    -No follow through on promises. They talk a good talk, but have never been able to walk the walk. When I started they tried to make up for the $11.00 an hour that they pay by saying that you will be "eligible" for commission after 90 days, but after that point they tell you that you haven't "earned" your commission yet.
    -It seems that they make up rules when it becomes convienant for them. Such as the above mentioned "earning" of commission on items that you have sold.
    -No parking, so in the very least you'll pay $3.00 per day (two blocks away) or $7.00 per day to park in the parking garage behind the building, unless you buy a parking pass, which wouldn't be very smart because of the high turnover rate that occurs there.
    -No access to the floor. You will have to find a buddy that has an access key and arrives before you so that you can call them to let you in- every day!
    -No over time.
    -Every employee is a temporary employee for the first year and only after you have "proven" yourself to them, although they do not tell you that when they hire you.

Advice to Senior Management-Follow through on your promises.
    -Don't act like your company has it all together when it does not.
    -Be honest with people you are hiring. It really stinks and feels shady when you find out that you're a temporary employee after being hired.
    -Give your employees (even temporary ones) parking or a train or bus pass! It gets expensive when you have to pay for it every day!
    -Hire a training team, they really are worth it and your employees would be better prepared to do good work with some positive training behind them.
    -Find a better human resources manager. Your current one is nice, but your hiring practices needs more work.
    -Improve on communications among your sales people. Because of the constant change in plans it is difficult to keep up with what is current and what is out of date.

Worked for Xi3? Contribute to the Community!