Xi3 Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.0

Jason Sullivan

Great experience for the committed salesperson

Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Xi3 as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work environment is great--fun and challenging sales floor with a lot of energy. Play hard and work hard. Products are innovative and exciting to potential clients. CEO Jason Sullivan comes up with amazing ideas and implements them--clients love the new product lines that come out.

Cons

This is not a sales position for someone who isn't self-motivated. Leads are sometimes provided, but self-prospecting and mushrooming accounts are expected. Training is adequate, but you are expected to review product specs and understand them even if you aren't a techie--you are selling to CIOs and technology buyers who will understand these products better than you so be prepared. If you aren't a self-starter you aren't going to make it; no one is going to hold your hand. Pay is lower than might be expected for a comparable position, and you are responsible for parking. Compensation potential is there, but requires high volume sales.

Develop and listen to middle managers who work with the sales floor. They have their fingers on the pulse of the company.

Commitment, hard work & loyalty are rewarded at Xi3

Current Employee - Premier Partner Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Premier Partner Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Xi3 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant minds have often been misunderstood, and Xi3’s CEO Jason Sullivan is no exception. Jason is a true technology visionary who sees the future of technology long before the market even knows what it wants or needs. You certainly can’t fully grasp Jason’s vision during a single session with him—it unfolds over time with repeated exposure to his ever-expanding thinking. With our CEO’s visionary leadership, I’m confident the future is very bright at Xi3. While some may say our CEO and his management team don’t care about their employees, my experience has been completely the opposite. I joined Xi3 grateful for the opportunity I was given to come in, work hard, demonstrate my loyalty and prove my value to the company. Because of the “investment” I made in Xi3, Jason Sullivan has reciprocated by taking a personal interest in my wellbeing, helping me climb out of a deep financial hole in a way that few, if any other employers would even dream of doing. Because of the dedication I’ve demonstrated and the trust I’ve developed during my nearly three years with Xi3, the management team has recently placed me in a very exciting and unique position working full-time on-site at one of our key accounts. I am proof-positive that dreams can and do come true at Xi3 for those who fully commit themselves to the company.

Cons

If you want a lot of hand-holding or need constant direction, you won’t thrive in this environment—Xi3 rewards highly motivated, self-starters who make things happen. If you have an entitlement attitude you will be sorely disappointed—Xi3 retains and recognizes those who are grateful for the opportunity they’ve been given and make the most of it. If you’re looking for a get-rich-quick opportunity with little effort on your part, you’ve come to the wrong company—Xi3 is on a long-term journey to the top of the computing world where the big picture can be pretty spectacular for those Xi3 employees willing to work to make it to the top.

Stay the course. Don’t listen to the naysayers. As Albert Einstein said: “Brilliant spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

Great coworkers, terrible everything else

I worked at Xi3 full-time

Pros

I met some of the best people while working there

Cons

Terrible decision making by executives and upper management. You live in constant fear of losing your job without cause because you see it happen every day. The product is cool, but not well engineered and is too expensive to produce and still have a margin, so the revenue is lacking

Learn how to treat your employees. You get better productivity out of happy employees. Let your talented middle management make decisions and stop micro managing. Stop lying to everyone

Great start up, when they hire me back on we will all be rich!

I worked at Xi3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation wasn't high at first but the owner and CEO was willing to offer large commission bonuses for hardworking employees. I loved my sales manager, and the HR guy they were incredibly driven, motivational, and hardworking men who I admire and look up to.

Cons

The only difficulty came from a lack of experience company wide, and I don't blame anybody, for this, however, I didn't feel like I received the necessary training at first, however, I did feel like it motivated me to learn on my own the company inside and out, because I had to research and question everything on my own.

Hire me back on.

Please....don't leave your current job for this!

Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager
    Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager

I worked at Xi3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot about technology from Xi3. Not because of the training I received (there was none), but because of what I was forced to teach myself, and because of the amazing coworkers I had there. The biggest (only, really) Pro of Xi3 was the people that worked there with me. Sadly, 99% of the good ones are gone now. However, I made life-long friends, and met some of the coolest people alive while we all suffered through together!

Cons

Where to start? This is one of the most shady, dishonest, and sketchy place I've ever worked. Horrible CEO. Very smart man when it comes to tech, clueless when it comes to running a business. There's not much more I can say than has already been said here. He would fire people at random, entire departments at times. Everyone is hired on as a temp, and being "an Xi3'er" is touted as some great honor only bestowed upon the most worthy of beings.....Sure, they tell you all about the uncapped commissions, amazing benefits, free gym memberships etc. when you interview, but no one actually get that unless they're "hired on." Getting hired on is near impossible, and only about five people were actually Xi3 employees. The rest of us get no PTO, no benefits, etc. Recently, the company has "laid off" their entire workforce....sales is down to three or four people. Marketing and Operations are gone completely. Accounting is the only department still in tact, but that's only temporary, and they will be the next hit.

Stop letting one delusional man have all the power. I realize it's "his" company, but if there is any hope at success there needs to be a board of directors, and people in place who actually know what the crap they're talking about. Get rid of all but....maybe one....of your regional managers, and the VP of Sales. Hire a training staff, and increase the training to more than "here's a data sheet, read it."

Great product, terrible management

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Xi3 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company does make and sell an awesome product - a PC desktop the size of a Rubik's Cube.

Cons

Most of the "management" in this company acts like their gangster-wannabees, while others dress like their upscale hookers. Its obvious that their sales managers have never help a real sales job in their lives. Several years of doing business, and they've only sold a couple thousand computers !?!??!
    Their sales should be in the millions by now! They say they want big numbers, but they want you to spend all your time calling mom-&-pop stores, small car dealerships, and Indian casinos.
    Additionally, they tell so many lies, lying about compensation, about their finances, and only keeping the employees that are too ignorant to know any better.
    Their lack of transparency causes any major potential customers, to become disinterested.
    Again.... great product, but tragic and pathetic management!

Get rid of 2/3 of your "management". Instead hire outside consultants, or get some real qualified talent into the company, to run it properly, and don't think a $2k deal is the same type of sale as a $2 million deal.

Lies and manipulation

I worked at Xi3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the coworkers were great to work with before they were fired.
    The product design is kind of cool.

Cons

- Many have been told that they would receive raises after 6 months and again after 1 year but they never happen. Instead people get fired for bringing it up or complaining. Some have worked there for 2 years or more and never had a review from management or HR. Many others were given similar empty promises
    - Product is way overpriced and very unreliable
    - Not adequate testing for products before they are released and using poor quality components that fail frequently
    - The selling point was that due to the modular design, one board could be removed and replaced with an upgraded version very easily but they do not have any replacement boards available or planned to be released
    - Upper management is a joke, think they can take advantage of everyone in the company and anyone they do business with and get away with it
    - There are a lot of secrets and questionable business practices here. People are fired for very strange reasons and others are allowed to stay even though there is blatant incompetence.

Stop thinking you are Steve Jobs and your company is Apple. There is a reason why the company is failing and your employees are leaving. Your product is mediocre at best but you still insist on pricing it well above similarly equipped systems. You don't care about any of your employees or enough about your product, you just want to get it out the door and expect people will eat it up. The Xi3 computer is a great idea but poorly executed, you should sell the company and get out so that people who know what they are doing can run the business.

It's Amateur Hour all day long

I worked at Xi3 full-time

Pros

You can get a sales job with little or no previous experience.

Product concept is kind of cool, fun, and cute.

Cons

There's a reason why all the reviews on here are so negative. I agree with most of the other comments, so I won't bother repeating them.

Maybe the nicest way of saying this is that Xi3 has the same problem as a lot of tech startup companies. The founder had some cool ideas, generated excitement and got things off the ground, but as the company grows different talent is needed and the founder doesn't want to let go of the reigns. At Xi3 the problem is especially bad. The CEO/Founder appears uninterested, inexperienced, and generally incapable of managing a larger corporation, yet insists on making all decisions himself while not being good at listening to advice. It's a toxic combination, and probably the main reason why the company is in the state it's in now..

Find some way to get the CEO to focus his talents on inventing or visionary stuff, but leave the day-to-day running of the company to professionals. There are already a few good middle and upper-level managers there, but they could use a few more folks who have actual experience running a tech company.

And stop the constant, random hiring and firing - especially of salespeople. It creates bad morale. It's sloppy. Take more time in the interview process, be more selective in hiring, and try to keep people longer.

All Lies, Scandalous Affairs and Dishonesty

I worked at Xi3 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The thought that you may be successful, then you realize you had been lied to the whole time.

Cons

You are initially hired thinking you are an Xi3 employee then to soon find out you are considered a temp and have ZERO Health Benefits, PTO or Paid Holidays. I noticed all of these reviews have mentioned that Xi3 is full of lies and it's true, beginning with the day that you are hired. They say you will become an Xi3 employee after a few months but quite honestly there are temps that have been there for over a year and still waiting for that day to come. They keep feeding you full of lies and promises but then one day out of no where you will be fired and you will realize that everything you believed in was not true. You will ask yourself "why did I get fired". Let me explain why, the CEO is a egotistical jerk who thinks the world revolves around him. He walks around and fires people every two weeks (we are talking approximately 5 - 10 ppl at a time). He once fired the whole entire marketing department for no reason. He can care less about you or your family and doesn't even think twice about it. This explains why he keeps you as a temp and not an actually Xi3 Employee otherwise they would be paying a TON of people unemployment (think about it). He is a sexist pig, he wants to be someone that he is not and that's why his company is slowly failing. He wants to spend money like he is wealthy however he is slowly jeopardizing the company as well as the fate of everyone's job security. He will never hold company parties because he is too cheap to do so. He has no idea what family values are and is careless when it comes to anything regarding your family. There are constant affairs between C Level Executives that go on in order to try and move up in the company, GROSS. Good luck! I think you should take everyones advice that has been given on Glassdoor and save yourself the hurt and good possibility of being fired. People have quit really good stable jobs to come here and to soon find themselves jobless for no reason at all, and with no explanation. Take our advice and don't risk it!

Quit the lies.

Used-car dealership on steroids - that is, sadly, the culture.

Former Employee - Technology Solutions Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Xi3 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people only work there a short time. I am no exception. Few actually last long enough to reap any benefits. The only pro to this company is the people I worked with. All very nice and professional people who were a joy to be around. I actually enjoyed going to work and seeing them everyday.

The products are actually pretty cool too.

Cons

Unfortunately, CEO hires and fires at will without reason. One day you think you're going to be highly successful - maybe even promoted, and the next you get a call from the temp agency (who you ACTUALLY work for) and you're out the door.

Also, the sales training is inadequate and unrealistic. They train you for one week and expect you to turn out results like you're a seasoned sales professional. They don't stand for developing relationships with people in order to build long-term income. This is a used-car dealership on steroids.

There's only one guy running the show here. If he thinks you need to go - for whatever reason - then you go. There needs to be mid and senior level managers in place to create a buffer and stand up for high potential employees. Of course, there's probably too much fear in that environment for anyone to tell the boss he's making a mistake. Guaranteed to get you fired if you're not a YES man.