Xilinx Reviews in Longmont, CO

3.1

Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov
Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Mostly good people but lack the killing instinct to succeed (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth, no idea when senior management will close the site for another low cost center (in 26 reviews)

• very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work !

Current Employee - Embedded Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Embedded Product Applications Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible! Competitive Salary! Great benefits! Challenging! Work/life balance! Dynamic!

Cons

Not many company events! Unexpected lay-offs!

Software Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great Mentor ship.Good work life balance.Beautiful campus.

Cons

Average Compensation.Need more challenging work. Stagnant growth.

Great culture prior to 2010- people first, creative work environment

Former Employee - Account Management in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Account Management in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable technology - leader in their field

Cons

Corp culture & profitibility squeezed many employees out of jobs

Focus on workforce and indivitual growth for the companies long term stability

In the business of helping other companies innovate, but internal processes are old, inefficient, and expensive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, ability to work from home. Somewhat flexible work hours. ESPP, 401k matching, and health benefits are all great!

Cons

Decisions are made in my department by senior managers who don't understand the customers' needs. Internal processes are slow, inefficient, and error prone, and therefore expensive. Things that can and should be automated are being done manually, requiring much more work than necessary. They won't replace people in my department when they leave, so we are now doing 2x the work with 1/2 the number of people.

Although the schedule is flexible, I often have to be available for meetings early in the morning or late at night because the development team is in India and China.

Layoffs are frequent and with no communication. It's frustrating to be working on a project with someone, have them not show up to a meeting, only to find out that they have been laid off. This has happened more than once!

The performance review process is a joke. Self assessments have no bearing on grade, and bonuses/raises are not given fairly. Profit sharing used to include everyone in the company, but now only goes to some employees based on review grade.

Work + work + work + work = burnout.

Communicate with, listen to, and respect your employees. We give you a lot of our lives; this isn't just an 8-5 job. Treat us with the professionalism you expect us to give you.

From one of the best100 companies to one of the worst

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting people. First years - a lot of fun, discussions, exchange of ideas. Scientific seminars, learning. I felt that management was interested in people

Cons

No promotions, no growth, not even single "Thank you" for job well done. Focal review has become humiliation lesson. Often your effort is evaluated inversely proportional to contribution. People start to leave company in masses.

Save old culture if you can

Never in my 14 year software/hardware career have I worked at a better company.

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Xilinx empowers employees, compensation is inline with market, CEO knows what he is doing. The product in the marketplace is gaining acceptance and maintaining dominance over our major competitors.

Cons

Many employees have a "its not my job" attitude or feel entitled to their job for just showing up. Lack of formal training for new people.

Move business systems out of ops and IT and into the hands of the business people who use them.

Used to be a great company, now not so

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was top shelf, but has certainly leveled off.
    A leader in their industry.
    The company is profitable and has money to spend.

Cons

It is simply a grind. Do what you are told, hit deadlines, perform better than your peers, do it all again next review period. Do same thing next review period, except better. Impossible.

Current pace is unsustainable. Good people are leaving due to unrealistic work environment.

New software pushing company to death bed

Former Employee - FAE in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - FAE in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Established business, but shrinking slowly. Good profit margin. decent salary for semiconductor industry.

Cons

Extremely political environment. Lots of internal conflicts and clouts due to poor quality new software being pushed out to customers. Good people are let go. Company spent hundreds of millions of dollars and trusted some incapable people to develop it. Now it is struggling with the mistake and punishing the customers by forcing them to adopt new software that is not complete or stable, and is worse than old one. Instead of focusing on necessary areas, company spent big money on this useless piece, while the competition is surging ahead in key areas.

This will finish the company..

Focus on customer needs. Focus on employees.

The best of times and the worst of times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still many good people working there and there's reasonable work/life balance. The pay was pretty good for top performers. Working there under Wim was the best experience of my career. The products are good and exciting to work with.

Cons

Corporate culture was completely trashed by Moshe and the managers he brought in. The company that Bernie built and Wim even improved upon has been ruined for its employees and customers. The culture that is pervasive now is one of politics and back stabbing. The values of honesty and transparency have been eliminated by senior management by making employees fearful. Speaking up will get you fired in the next round of quarterly layoffs.

The advice I have is actually for the board, because I don't believe that Moshe is capable of fixing the problems he's created. Bring in someone who can drive innovation while maintaining respect for employees and customers. Employees who fear their leaders are not more productive, but rather less.

Excellent internship with a great mentor!

Former Employee - Chipscope Intern in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Chipscope Intern in Longmont, CO

I worked at Xilinx as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very high tech environment with lots of smart coworkers. Open Source tools and Linux workstations are also allowed! The work environment felt productive, fun, and collaborative. They have a great selection of food in their cafe.

Cons

The complexity and learning curve for some of the ISE tools was pretty steep starting out. In my brief time there, I had enough time to learn just the basics.