Xilinx

Xilinx Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov

Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance(in 39 reviews)

• Still many good people working there and there's reasonable work/life balance(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The values of honesty and transparency have been eliminated by senior management by making employees fearful(in 25 reviews)

• very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work(in 11 reviews)

156 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Many ups and downs, but culture is stabilizing

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat technology, lots of interesting projects. Slowly getting more focused on software

ConsVery tight execution schedules makes it hard for inter-group co-operation since everyone is taxed for time
    Managers still don't really care about employee's careers, not much day to day feedback, nor advise or coaching on how to get to the next level. Management basically say that career advancement is up to individuals (which is true to some extent) but without visibility at higher levels it is hard for low to middle level employees to learn how to grow. Everyone needs to do a little more, management and individuals. But everyone is too short of time to do anything but execute.

Still here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI've been here for a short while now and still enjoying my job. Excited to see the change to all programmable. Expands the market and our opportunities for long term growth. Exciting to see all the changes.

ConsEveryone wants to improve and make changes, but it's slow progress.

Loved my job at Xilinx and I have regretted leaving since I walked out the doors

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture. Great boss. Great people and benefits

ConsI have not worked there in 6 years and I'm not sure what the culture is these days.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BEWARE!!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIf you are a "male" and a "schmoozer" you will do well.

Cons"Boys Club"; Untrained managers; 50+ Get fired; Resistant to new technologies.

Advice to Senior Management1. Take formal classes on how to manage engineering professionals.
    2. Try to learn technical aspects of area you are managing.
    3. Leave emotional baggage at home.

The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Sales Operations Support (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe good are my co-workers. Location is good being in west SJ. Cafeteria is decent.

ConsThe bad is upper management - they just don't have people management skills. A continuous string of "restructurings" and outsourcing of jobs to Singapore. Upper management is rewarded for cost reductions at all costs, unfortunately they have cut too deep and too much experience has been lost. Not a recoverable situation.

Also, the company bet the farm on dominating the 28nm node - well that didn't quite happen. Not good if you are planning on a lasting career here. Lot's of pressure to keep treading water.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ugly - upper management needs to be replaced. The board needs to seriously think about replacing the current CEO. The problem is they won't attract top flight talent, so bring Wim back!!!

It is exciting and busy.

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWorking on leading product and technology. Company provide reasonalable benefits and compensations.

ConsWorkload sometimme can be extreme heavy and time pressure.

A wild ride

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat products and technology.
    Many talented and friendly employees.
    Promotes work-life balance.
    Depending on where you live, the unusual location can make for a good commute traveling opposite the rush-hour traffic.

ConsEmployees treated as disposable tools by the Gavrielov regime; there has been a never-ending series of layoffs/RIFs throughout the company since their arrival three years ago. Cuts made without regard for employee talent and contribution. Steadily moving engineering, manufacturing, and support functions to India and Singapore.
    Stingy with raises and promotions; employees should just be grateful that they have a job.
    Lot's of politics and a passive-aggressive environment.
    Headquarters are in San Jose, but location feels disconnected from Silicon Valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to learn who really gets the work done.

The company has great potential, but I'm rotting on the vine

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsXilinx is a company filled with high-caliber people making great products. The recent restructuring has succeeded in establishing a culture of accountability and performance.

ConsA divide has developed between the executive levels and all other employees. There is a sense of "them" and "us." There is a sense that while employee input is considered, there is never a true dialogue. Trust between the levels has broken down.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors and above: simply walk around and talk to people. Drop into their cubes and chat. This is all it would take to repair the damaged trust -- actual conversations. Roundtables are a joke.

One of the better technology companies to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGenerally good people to work with, some exceptions like any place.

Company is usually well focused for its market niche, what's next goals are clear and usually on target . Rivalry with competitors intense but not nasty (on Xilinx's part at least)

ConsFPGAs have passed their growth period, with the generally down economy its hard to tell whether they will still be a strong company 10 years from now or fade to be another former leading technology company. But fiscal and people management has been good throughout their history so we can hope.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooking back to the heydey of LSI Logic and Moshe's time there vs where it is today can we expect a better future for Xilinx? At least LSI still exists unlike many of its contemporaries. That said, Moshe was a highlight of good management style at LSI at a time good and bad VPs came and went way too often. Xilinx is lucky to have him.

Used to be good. Now it is average and trending down

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood work life balance, very respectful colleagues, good team environment

ConsNow, too many layoffs, clueless upper management with no understanding of FPGAs,
    product positioning or the market and no vision. You cannot cut your way to growth.
    Lose this management and start over.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave.

Worked for Xilinx? Contribute to the Community!