Xilinx Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

Xilinx President and CEO Moshe Gavrielov
Moshe Gavrielov

Pros
  • Some flexibility in time keeping helps with the work-life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Mostly good people but lack the killing instinct to succeed (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth, no idea when senior management will close the site for another low cost center (in 26 reviews)

• very poor work-life balance for some groups, while other groups have almost no work (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

162 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

LISTEN to your employee's

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are on par with the valley, flexible work / life balance but not sure if this is company wide.

Cons

Two company wide completed Employee surveys and the response has been very poor on the feedback provided, no positive tangible changes in operations. Seems the company are just "ticking a box" to make the employees feel a little better.......... respect your employee's, they're not blind to this. Make real changes that we can see, stop paying "lip service". also share the information with your management team, one particular group in Ops has seen very little of the feedback, what was in there???? I recommend Xilinx but stay away from operations.

Also bizarre tolerance of drunk employee's in ops. - very clear, everyone is aware but nothing is done.

Respect the intelligence of your employee's in operations. Respect their position. Cease with the micro management on everyday tactical tasks and in general, it's suffocating and limits creativity.

Wastage of human resources

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely 0 pressure. Schedules are reasonably flexible. Nice leave structure.

Cons

1. Pay isn't on par with industry
    2. If you are a digital designer, you are going to be thoroughly disappointed. There is no design work that you would do that you would be proud of. The biggest block I did had a gate count of few hundred gates with 0 complexity

None

Xilinx

Current Employee - Sales Field in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Field in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location, cafeteria, no dress code, no drug testing, calm environment

Cons

no cons to list now

2003 : 100 Fortune Best Companies to Work for; 2013: Glassdoor unhappiest companies

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible work hours, high gross margin.

Cons

Low job security. Low morale, poor job training, unclear career path, overly cost driven, lack of leadership from management.

should take employees' concerns and feedback seriously.

Employees are not valued

Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great location, strong relationships at the worker level. Employees at the lower levels genuinely help each other. The technology is cutting edge.

Cons

Management is focused on cost cutting and does not value employees. Culture and values are non-existent under the new leadership. Disagreeing with management and constructive feedback are not tolerated. Only a select few people are rewarded and the performance management system is archaic. Many employees work in fear but are very loyal so they tolerate the stressful working conditions.

Remember why the company became successful - the employees. Learn from other successful leadership teams at other companies on how to earn respect and trust. Focus on growing the company, not just cost cutting. Pay attention to feedback and talk to actual workers, not just yourselves.

Great place to learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had freedom to work in my way - I was given a lot of freedom with respect to organizing my work and my methods of getting the work done.
    Got to use technologies I preferred
    Great team and mentor, welcomed me to the team and supported me throughout.

Cons

Software developers are not the most important people at Xilinx. Being a predominantly semi-conductor company hardware people with a EE are obviously the most influential people.

Please bring in more interns and try to convert them to full time.

Challenging & Rewarding Experience

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding learning experience
    Friendly co-workers who helps each other

Cons

Can be high pressure at times, but that is the nature of the industry

Inexperienced and bad managers destroying 20 years of value

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ok salary and profitability. Ok work-life balance.

Cons

Very incompetent and inexperienced management team in PPG running the show. People are used as step stones for these almost-corrupt folks to climb higher and higher. It is surprising how they keep fooling the highest management. The rank and file are filled up with goof-up and hush-up guys.

There are admins, and then there are bad admins on high heels with management dsesignations. And then there are the swollen face employees. Do yourself a favor. Get some other job that pays you 10-20% less, you will be happier. Unless you are of the above type.

Just leave and never come back. The company needs a complete overhaul.

Great technology, good salary, bad work life balance and terrible upper management

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Xilinx has some outstanding talent and cutting edge technology. If you are single, enjoy really complex and interesting problems to solve and don't mind insane workloads, this place has some interesting opportunities. Compensation is good for the area as long as you don't divide by the number of hours actually worked.

Cons

This is no longer a culture of open and fun innovation that anyone can participate in. Shareholder returns rule everything. Management pushes engineers on insane schedules burning out even the best of the best. There is a frequent "raise the bar" reference from upper management which means great work will be punished by tightening the thumbscrews on your next set of goals.

Management appreciates "Yes" men and quietly removes those that disagree or voice other opinions. This corporation is a perfect Peter Principle case study with a lot of the promoted incompetence weighing down from the senior director and above levels. Upper management does not value employees and treats them as expendable.

This is NOT a good place to consider for employment as a software engineer if you are married, have outside commitments, or generally expect a life outside of work.

Make a complete U-turn and focus resources on employees, not kissing shareholder behinds. You may be surprised how this actually converts into a nice long term return on your investment. This company is capable of far more than it is achieving if you simply invest big time in your employees. There is a very good reason the CEO approval rating is so low, go understand why and fix it.

I've worked here for 10+ years. Used to be good place to work but morale has taken a dive in the last couple of years.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Xilinx full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a "yes" man there is opportunity to move up in the corporate ladder. The managers and VP's in my department don't like disagreement.

Cons

The company downsizes regularly. Employees create projects to look busy, Managers are clueless and lie to hit goals. Morale is at the lowest I've seen in my 10+ years.

Take a course on business ethics