XpresSpa Reviews

Updated May 21, 2014
Updated May 21, 2014
1.8

Moreton Binn

Xpresspa??? I think NOT!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at XpresSpa part-time for more than a year

Pros

Payday is every week most customers leave tips and more then enough of clientele to working on

Cons

~after the holidays business gets really slow
    ~manager are wet behind that ears
    ~customers can get pushing and demanding at times
    ~over-worked
    ~not enough money for all that we do had employees

STOP WITH THE BS!!!!!!!!!

Burn and churn

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

Interviewing Massage Therapists is about the only perk to this job.
    The employees look out for each other for the most part.
    Good camaraderie.

Cons

Everything!
    Incredibly high turn over in Corporate Office and Management.
    Complete lack of training process.
    If you are a manager you will NEVER get a raise even if your work load increases.
    Company does not care about employees on any level.

Compensate management appropriately.
    Actually show that they care about employees.
    Invest in people.

Insanely High Corporate Turnover

I have been working at XpresSpa

Pros

kind, generous, dynamic owners
    Awesome concept

Cons

Horrific HR on a power trip
    Intimidating, mean, brash and abrasive. The reason many of my colleagues have already left. I work in the field often but visit the headquarters regularly and nobody can stand working day-to-day with this person. All-around toxic corporate environment based 90% on HR

remove the person responsible for the revolving door and negative reputation of the office.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Slave House," is an understatement!

Current Employee - SPA Coordinator  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - SPA Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had great coworkers that I will dearly miss . . .

Cons

This is by far the worst company that I have EVER worked for!
    No pay increases-it doesn't matter how long you've been there
    Absolutely no growth opportunities!
    Upper management has no idea what goes on, on the spa level-I had been there two years and finally a CEO came to town with this BS of a benefits presentation.
    The manager they did have in place basically ran the spa into the ground and a huge amount of our staff quit, which left us working 50+ hours per week!.
    There is too much turn over on every level of the company.
    Way too much of, "the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing," and this is why the spa is crumbling!
    I am anticipating the day that I hear that XpresSpa has been closed!
    They do not know how to treat their employees and they are horrid at running a company!!!
    I am honestly praying that the world is soon rid of XresSpa >:-/

Give up already, YOU'RE LOSING!

Horrible people with decent concept

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

-Decent salaries
    -friendly co-workers
    -airport environment is fun and busy

Cons

-Never been treated so badly in my life, especially not by a very high upper management figure.
    -Bare minimum sick and vacation time required by law
    -No work/life balance. they feel if they pay you, they own you
    -Upper management is a joke. They treat you like you are a doormat. They are demeaning and rude and aggressive
    -I have seen over 6 managers in just a few years. They fired the best manager who was there for a really long time for no reason. She was the only manager we had that cared about us and actually worked. All other managers are almost never there and if they are, they aren't working.
    -They are constantly creating new positions, taking them away, creating new uniforms, new rules, new prices, new products, then changing them within a few days. I've seen the price change on our most popular retail item close to 20 times. My position has been changed about 6 times when my work and pay has remained the same.
    -Absolutely no opportunities for growth.
    -Corporate has no idea what goes on in the spas. They think they do because all they do is watch in the cameras and pick apart your every move. The last manager was almost never there and he refused to work or help and it took them 6 months to figure out.
    -Between upper management and HR, there are constant false promises that aren't kept. They hire new people in corporate and let them come up with great ideas, only to fire them a few months later and change it all back.

They know who in upper management has to go in order for things to change. If he leaves then maybe this company stands a chance.

Working here for almost a year and never been happier!

Current Employee - Cosmetologist  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have to say, I haven't really experienced what people said who worked here in the past about it being bad - I LOVE my job! I met Rachel McAdams and did her nails at JFK last week- and meet ton of cool travelers! Everyone is happy to be in a serene spa and not just waiting around listlesly for their flights so the clients are awesome. I am making good money and my manager is very respectful and smart with scheduling. They are also bringing a lot of new jobs to the workforce and the owners are kind and generous

Cons

It takes a couple of weeks once you're hired to receive your airport badge but I guess that's just the nature of working at a company in the airport

Things have changed - AMAZING place to work!

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time

Pros

XpresSpa has come a long way since it's inception. Pay rates have been raised and management has changed. We also now offer amazing incentive plans. Our employees are happier than ever and a lot of them are coming back!

Cons

We are a work in progress and change takes time but people are very happy with the new work environment.

I loved working here but felt unappreciated even though I had the most skill at the table.

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at XpresSpa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great tips on good travel days. Surprisingly, even though it's an airport I had return clientelle. They always made my day when they requested my services specifically.

Cons

I didn't have a solid form of transportation so I ended up taking the bus and train everyday to and from work. I lived downtown so sometimes travelling home at work into that area was a little bit sketchy.

I like how you talk to your employees and try to make the work atmosphere a more enjoyable place. I think your company will grow and do well.

Worst workplace ever!

Current Employee - GSC  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - GSC in New York, NY

I have been working at XpresSpa full-time for more than a year

Pros

You meet cool passengers from other countries

Cons

All they do is harass you and make you work like a slave. I worked there for over a year and had 4 managers in that time! The last manager was a nasty bitter envious person that disliked others for no good reason. When i brought my issues up with her to the Regional manager nothing was done. I was treated like crap! Taking vacation is a problem and to get paid for it is a long process. You have to stand in front of the store and basically hassle the customers to come in. You can't even take a break sometimes and the cameras are constantly watching you! There are no health benefits and many times i worked 6 days a week. Discrimination, humiliation, this place is a joke!!

Hire decent managers that do not discriminate and that treat all their employees equally.

Horrible place to work ever ever ever in your life

Former Employee - Guest Service Coordinator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at XpresSpa full-time for less than a year

Pros

Met good, honest people
    Learned a little about massage

Cons

Turnover in management position is very very fast. I had 3 managers and worked there 6 months.
    No bonuses
    No health benefits
    Very boring workplace
    Will refuse to pay you vacation time when you leave (have to make a civil claim for it).
    No employee loyalty
    Expect you to work like a soldier, stand in front of store, and get people to come in.
    Almost impossible sales goal for the GSC's (all GSC's are expected to sell the same amount regardless of store location or size)
    Very low commission and no pay raises. (I know a massage therapist with the company 8 years and still only makes a 30% commission. New folks are being hired at 20% at PHL airport THAT'S NOTHING!)
    Other massage places know the infamous XpresSpa as a "slavehouse" and to be honest it is!
    One of my coworkers had to leave for 2 months from developing a hand problem after being the only massage therapist for the closing shift for about 6 weeks.

Make XpresSpa a better place to work. It is miserable!

Worked for XpresSpa? Contribute to the Community!