Xylem

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
2.8

Gretchen W. McClain

Pros
  • Good benefits package including tuition reimbursement and career development (in 3 reviews)

• I did work with some great people, some of whom are still friends (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Rep sales organization has a stronger influence on the company than the management team (in 5 reviews)

• Organization has become top-heavy to the tune of 60% greater work force than before--mostly new management and "idea guy" positions (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad place to work but lacks organization and direction

I worked at Xylem

Pros

Most of the co-workers were friendly and will to help and answer questions.

Cons

Management seems out of touch with the challenges the production employees face.

Too many chiefs, not enough braves.

Current Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Xylem full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady, varying work. Good benefits package including tuition reimbursement and career development. A high degree of industry leading technology at your disposal. Highly technical business to become involved with.

Cons

Opportunities to advance are drying up. When it used to be a part of ITT, you got out of it what you put in. Now that it is a pure water play company with new Senior Executives, share holder wishes take precedence and profit is the only goal. Greedily jumped at the "Emerging Markets" without any notion of what obstacles lay ahead. Ethics become blurred when dealing in the Emerging Market arena. Organization has become top-heavy to the tune of 60% greater work force than before--mostly new management and "idea guy" positions. The increase in employees has NOT resulted in increased business or market share. Company has only grown inorganically through acquisition of other water industry companies. Twice the amount of revenue used to be achieved with about half of the current work force.

Stop throwing away the old guard of experienced (usually 30+ years) technically adept workers. Stop falling for the sales pitch of millennials who have oversold their resume. Invest in the already present employees who have shown initiative and quit wishing that some "perfect candidate" will just show up on our doorstep. Be more judicious about trying something "new" just for the sake of it being "new." Educate everyone on the fundamental aspects of their duties rather than how it specifically applies to a single task. Find a sales force with at least a basic understanding of the technical aspects of the product--not just know: "ours is better than the competitor." Stop tracking data that will provide no benefit once analyzed; further more properly quantify--not qualify--the data collected.

The ‘Right’ Manager

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Xylem full-time

Pros

The core businesses are in business sectors that are relatively stable and should be around for the long run.

Cons

Many of the managers are hired from outside sources and as such the business practices and methodologies are in a constant state of flux. Another problem this creates is a lack of understanding by managers of the daily realities of the job undertaken by the lower and mid level employees. These employees often spend more time reporting on their job than they actually spend getting to do their job.

When hiring managers, give more weight to applicants that have experience in the same business sector when not hiring internally.

Worst company I've ever worked at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, NJ

I have been working at Xylem

Pros

Ok benefits and 401k but other then that none

Cons

The company has one value, make money for upper managemant and investors. You are expected to work 50+ hours a week for a 40 hour paycheck. It didn't used to be this way. You are routinely "reminded" by upper management that you are lucky to have a job. The career path at xylem is the good old boys network. If you're planning on trying to advance and build a career with this company, you better hope upper level management likes you and that you can get into their good graces. If they don't, you'll never get a fair opportunity to advance. A college degree, experience and/or hard work won't get you anywhere with this company, unless you are in there click . They don't care about you, they will tell you they do, but they don't. I've seen many well qualified men and women get canned, because they didn't sit at the right table during lunch.

Management seems to be very unorganized, and this goes all the way to the top of the company. It is time for the old mind set to retire and let new ideas run things.

Great Company, Awesome teams

Current Employee - Accountant in Rye Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in Rye Brook, NY

I have been working at Xylem full-time

Pros

Compensation is great and your work is valued and recognized. Managers take an active interest in your development.

Cons

Because it's a great environment there are less opportunity for growth or movement within.

Keep up the good Job!

Xylem does not value their employees.

Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Seneca Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Seneca Falls, NY

I have been working at Xylem full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love what I do in my role here at Xylem and I love the team that I work with- as in my coworkers and the people who have been by my side the last several years prior to the cutover to Xylem.

Cons

Management could care less about their employees. Your asked to give a lot but you do not get much in return. The new management team has come in and made a huge mess. They do not listen to the people that have been here much longer. "Its their way or the highway" type of atmosphere. No support what so ever and absolutely no growth opportunities.

Be a true service organization and support your employees and internal customers on a higher level.

I have a good working relationship with my co-workers

Former Employee - Accounting in Bridgeport, NJ
    Former Employee - Accounting in Bridgeport, NJ

I worked at Xylem full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Health benifits and the values of the company to make water safer for the people around the world

Cons

I can not think of any cons to working with this company

the management at Xylem Dewatering Solutions Inc. was always willing to help with any problems that may arise.

Incredible opportunity for career growth

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Xylem full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment promotes a total team approach to daily business operations. Professional atmosphere with opportunity to learn, grow and contribute in a meaningful way.

Cons

There was not a downside or negative, to this work experience

Good place to work if you are smart and technical

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Xylem full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent 401k, variety and type of customers you can work with, allows for fresh and creative ideas to drive growth. Upward mobility.
    Flexibility to make changes in staff to obtain the right candidates.
    Patrick Decker new CEO.

Cons

Slow pace of change, especially in respect to enterprise software, After the initial spin off the company it s still trying to find its footing. Restructuring was inevitable to weed out workers who were not technical enough, made too many mistakes, insubordinate, lazy....etc...There were some support staff that probably should have remained but didnt fit the organization moving forward. I would have kept those people and let them leave when they were ready.
    Some senior management are over their head and show depart. However, some new blood has emerged and its hopeful that good leadership will increase value for the firm.

Updated the accounting software!!!!! Its terrible. Additional sales support at the local levels to assist in eleviating tasks for the salespeople. Compensate your people better.

Behind the times and growing pains

I have been working at Xylem full-time

Pros

Flexiable schedule, excellent 401 k

Cons

lack of resources, process out of date, and upper management is lost and has no clue