Xyratex

www.xyratex.com

Xyratex Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Pros
  • Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization(in 9 reviews)

• It was close to home, but that has changed with all the reorganizations(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management are dreadful and completely out of touch with their employees(in 7 reviews)

• Incompetent upper management that cover up their mistakes by blaming underlings(in 6 reviews)

Overall a great time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat starting point for me to learn and practice my trade. Very knowledgeable people.

ConsWay to cliquish. Too much like junior high school. at times

Most unloyal company I've ever worked for

Production Operator (Current Employee) West Sacramento, CA

Pros+Great diversity in the culture. I was immersed in a diverse mix of all kinds of cultured individuals and it was a great experience as a result.
    +Good entry level wage

Cons-No real potential to go from the general "Production Operator" title into any position with more responsiblity.
    -There was no real sense of appreciation for working hard and busting down deadlines.
    -Temp-to-Hire promise is a straight up lie. Co-workers who were temps had been employed for just shy of 5 years never had the opportunity to become a permanent.
    -Majority of the supervising staff did not communicate well with employees about work load and scheduling of overtime.
    -Was often required to work 64+ hours a week for 3 weeks straight. Meaning, there was no work/life balance. My social life was centered around work.
    -No real flexibility to those who are students looking to further their education.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo management, the people below you, the ones out on the production floor, temp or permanent, are all equally as important as those in the front office. A sense of appreciation or maybe even a pat on the back once in a while goes a long way in the eyes of a young, hard working kid. Creating opportunities for those loyal to your company to move up is important for ensuring the future success of your business.

Great co-workers, reasonable compensation

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSome very talented, savvy people work here

ConsBenefits are not as good as they should be for a company with a US base in California.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your teams. I can count significant training opportunities offered over the past ten years without having to take off my socks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Accountability

ProsGreat people to work with.
    Benefits are decent

ConsLack of accountability
    Total disconnect between upper management and workers
    Lack of communications

great salaries, poor management, bad outlook

Development Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgreat salaries and compensations, ability to work remotely, there are some nice people in the compnay

Consstrategy is not defined, no understanding of current market, poorly-skilled management team, no processes, no architectural process

Advice to Senior Managementhire good managers that know what they do

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Xyratex, Inc. not the best, but not the worst one

Manager (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

Prosgood salaries. not the best company, but not the worst one either.

Consbad management, luck of communication or connection between management and employees, also between teams.

Enjoyable company for some, not for others

Production Planner (Current Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great people, great location, great PTO vacation schedule, supportive management

ConsHeavy workload for operators, imbalance if work and personal time, several layoffs.

A real meat grinder environment

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsFree pizza. Free trips to Mexico.

ConsSearch madly to find great talent with know how and then demand you do it their sorry way.
    Abuse the temporary workforce and guest workers.
    Incompetent upper management that cover up their mistakes by blaming underlings
    Inconsistent pay practices: Pay some people far below market and others far above depending on their degree of desperation
    Unethical and mean-spirited
    Limited mobility opportunities for women unless they're willing to do unethical things
    Not really a tech company --- more of a tricky accounting firm
    Treat non UK employees like second class citizen
    Hire their own kids
    Lots of lying to the CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementSteve Barber, you've got a bloated Finance group who interfere with technology requirements and a lot of lazy back-stabber executives who fail to put in a full day's work. Several of them get in late, leave early, and hide their screw ups from you. You need an entirely new executive team. Wonder why they point their fingers at each other? Because they are all dead wood milking the company for all they can get. Your HR Department sucks and sits back watching you flounder.

blind leading the weak

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsOne of the remaining manufacturing companies in Sacramento. Strong dedicated site boss looking after us. Company financial ok, make money for now. Good location, easy commute. Getting paid on time. Stupid boss let me do anything. Lots overtime is good.

ConsA good old boys network. If you are an English white male, you have a bright future. Anybody else sit and wait. Evidence? Look no further than recent high level promotions in UK and Asia, young English white males. Blame my parents for wrong skin color.

UK is king and cannot do wrong. Local is junk and cannot do right.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig layoff is near. You take care either the right people, or they will vote with their foot. I can not count on CEO. I better search for new job now.

Could be so much better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization.

Benefits are good compared to some places I have worked in the recent past.

ConsThe product road map is non-existent but we continue to move forward in spite of it (usually in crisis mode).

There are many processes in place but they are rarely utilized which adds to the chaos.

There are also missing processes that cause everyone to do critical items differently also adding to the chaos and a sense that we never do the same thing the same way 2 times in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of the organization and the processes (define who does what to/with whom).

Set a product road map and communicate it to the masses.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!