Xyratex

www.xyratex.com

Xyratex Reviews in Fremont, CA

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Pros
  • Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization(in 9 reviews)

• It was close to home, but that has changed with all the reorganizations(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management are dreadful and completely out of touch with their employees(in 7 reviews)

• Incompetent upper management that cover up their mistakes by blaming underlings(in 6 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work

Senior Director (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsMy days were always packed with tasks and deadlines to meet. I learned to multi task effectively and to prioritize my work flow for best efficiency. Our management was very hands off allowing us wide breadth of autonomy to achieve our metrics. New field for me.

ConsThis company could care less about it's employees! And it is just a job. Everyone wants out of the place but economy is still sucks. disjointed organization

Advice to Senior Managementlook out for emplyees

Xyratex, Inc. not the best, but not the worst one

Manager (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

Prosgood salaries. not the best company, but not the worst one either.

Consbad management, luck of communication or connection between management and employees, also between teams.

Could be so much better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization.

Benefits are good compared to some places I have worked in the recent past.

ConsThe product road map is non-existent but we continue to move forward in spite of it (usually in crisis mode).

There are many processes in place but they are rarely utilized which adds to the chaos.

There are also missing processes that cause everyone to do critical items differently also adding to the chaos and a sense that we never do the same thing the same way 2 times in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of the organization and the processes (define who does what to/with whom).

Set a product road map and communicate it to the masses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outdated and Out of Touch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

Prosdecent pay
    great people to work and travel with
    lots of personalities to learn from
    great technologists who are willing to share and collaborate
    ample free lunches and dinners

Conssweatshop for all engineers and technicians
    no communication from senior management
    senior management lock themselves in their offices
    bicker with customer - philosophy of "customer is right only when they agree with us"
    do not understand the needs of the customer
    in-fighting between technical and marketing deparments
    poor market research / understanding
    loyalty is strictly a one-way street
    lead from behind

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand the voice of the market
    understand the voice of the customer
    involve yourselves with the "common worker" at all levels at least once quarterly
    be as straightforward with the employees as you expect them to be with you
    in other words, follow the advice of the "best" CEOs, and follow the "Golden Rule"
    Think about how these things stifle innovation.

Has the potential for great things, but needs to execute

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

Pros- great technology
    - business has economies of scale to leverage
    - blue chip customers
    - good direct management
    - talented recent hires

Cons- limited financial upside opportunities
    - does not invest in internal IT (7 year old email system!)
    - not a fun or cool place to work
    - executives not accountable for product slippage or deficiencies
    - UK based company does not have Silicon Valley drive!

Advice to Senior ManagementHold senior executives accountable for their deliverables.
    Staff needs motivation, limited visibility of management does not help the situation. There is hard work ahead to reach the next level of success and there is little drive from management to motivate staff to go the extra mile.

Inconsistent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsGreat opportunity to learn how to deal with difficult people
    The individual contributors are a joy to work with
    Travel to third world contries in Asia -get to see cultures at their best
    Pay is competitive

ConsCannot rely on the word of senior management
    too many offices with doors - closing the door is common practice, where passive-aggressive battles are waged by management
    Company values are written very vague, seemingly on purpose
    Backstabbing by senior management to all levels of employees is the standard operating procedure
    Poor communications by senior management with direct reports
    Poor performance feedback system - employees hit with surprises at end of year
    Devicive and vindictive managers toward technologists - bickering and infighting prevail
    Not constructive confrontation, but passive, destructive confrontation from senior management

Advice to Senior Managementlearn the true meaning and value of these three words: honesty, integrity, honor
    not the dictionary meaning, and not to use as devicive tools, but as a way of being.
    Consider the impression given to customers - the are far more savvy then your realize.
    This is the true path to the success that remains out of the grasp of the SI division.
    Good luck - I know the heart of the Senior Staff is in the right place. It is mostly the directorship that does not understand.

to Steve: sorry about the low rating toward you as a leader, but it is your team, so...we must hold you to the same standard that your leadership team holds us.

Xyratex SI Fremont Management is Terrible, Period!!!

Ex=Employee - Xyratex SI Fremont (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsThere are only three pros, and in better economic times none are compelling enough to consider working for Xyratex in Fremont.

1) The fellow Fremont SI development team is wonderful (under different management we could do great things)
    2) Pay is decent.
    3) Benefits are decent

Cons1) The SI Fremont management is terrible; its the worst I've ever worked for, period.

2) Project planning is terrible and a known issue that the Xyratex SI - Fremont management continues to ignore. In my tenure with the company, I never saw a project, regardless of size, completed within 9 months. However, every project is allocated 4 months, and in reality most take 9, 12, or 15 months to complete due to a complete lack of vision and direction by management.

3) Excessive overtime is expected or out right demanded without consideration for the personal life of the employee (FYI: many on the development team worked 3 to 4 man-months of uncompensated overtime in 2010).

4) With only two or three customers left in the magnetic storage industry, the business cycles for Xyratex SI Fremont have significant peaks and valleys. Hence, job security is non-existent unless you follow managements orders for overtime, spur of the moment international travel, and doing "whatever it takes" to stay in the graces of middle to upper management.

5) Fear and bullying are the common methods used by management toward employees.

6) Vacation is difficult to use because of overtime, excessive work loads, and consistent stream blazing wildfires. Laptops and cell phones are given to employees while on vacation. Nice vacation, huh?

7) Executive management seems to direct by immediate business performance and its impact on short term stock price performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management, there are two business axiom you should know:

1) The coal-face workers are the best personnel to rely on for identifying business, operational, and development issues.
    2) The coal-face workers have many great ideas on solving these issues, if only you would listen..

The reality TV show Undercover Boss is proof to this fact, as well as the accounts of more successful executives.

This forum contains feedback from what looks to be a majority of rank and file workers. Based on these axioms and this forum then; Fremont SI management is a major issue and removing a majority of that middle management is part of the solutions to improving business performance, moral, employee retention, customer perception, and growth.

Xyratex is a white collar sweatshop operating in a sinking and dying hard disk drive industry.

Whitecolar Slave (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsThis review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA

To write this review I had to fill out a questionnaire with seventeen questions ranking certain aspects of the company on a 1 to 5 scale. I read each question carefully and my honest response resulted in 14 "1-stars" (no "0-star" option, unfortunately), and the following non 1-star items which I would consider the "Pros":

3-star: Okay pay for the area and industry (haven't had a raise in two years though)
    3-star: Okay opportunity to improve professionally (outside the company through contacts)
    4-star: Better than average benefits (good health plan and four weeks PTO that is hard to use)

Aside from the "Pros" indicated on the questionnaire, I would say, as others have, that the rank and file are wonderful people to work with and deserve much more respect. For those looking for work in this tough, consider Xyratex SI Division a paycheck, with benefits, until something better comes along (I survey many fellow employees, and this is the sentimate of 60% or more of the staff at Xyratex SI in Fremont).

ConsOnce again this review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA

There are so many cons outside the pros mentioned above its hard to determine where to start. The "Run Away Fast!" review is an accurate list. I feel this review will best serve the public by detailing the typical experience of working at Xyratex SI in Fremont.

Starting Out:
    Formal training and a sound business process are non-existent. You are expected to hit the ground running and navigate the bureaucracy from day one with lightning speed. Why? Xyratex SI Fremont operates in constant fire fight mode 24/7. For newbies, the honeymoon last for about one or two weeks, as that is when they figure out that Xyratex SI Fremont is incredibly dysfunctional. I as well as many other have to constantly (25-50% of our time) help new hires and contract workers navigate the chaos while battle the blazes. The problem is exacerbated due to a constant turnover of people (i.e. the management ideology is front-line employees are expendable). For example, it's hard to find anyone that has been with the company beyond three or four years in Fremont.

Grinding On:
    Once acclimated to the dysfunction and fire fighting, you adjust and work to the best of your ability. Project requirement focus on "how" customer needs are met. The "how" requirements are developed by marketing, and middle to upper management, as they are the only personnel that interacts with the customer. The rest of the organization is their to implement their vision for the project.

Unfortunately, marketing and management lack customer relation skills and diplomacy, and let the customer change the 'how" requirements continuously throughout each and every project. The deadline is never moved, and the fixed deadline is used to extract substantial overtime out of the rank and file as the project progresses. Deliverables, regardless of quality, are passed over the wall from department to department, each feeling the pain at some juncture in the project in a valiant effort to meet managements unreasonable deadline. Regardless of all the effort by the rank and file, the projects are substantially late and over budget. Worse yet, the next project assumes the prior projects deadline will be met. Therefore, the late project leads to a late start on the next project, leading to another late project; in a continuous and vicious cycle. Hence the environment of constant fire fighting and overtime!

Burnout:
    Obviously operating an organization this way causes frustration, burnout, and down right resentment toward management. Hence, Glassdoors has many poor review regarding the management at Xyratex. Bucking the trend leads to being black listed and on the fast track for layoff or firing (Fear based management). Becoming a "yes-man" results in job security, a compromised character, and a complete loss of work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, read the above review, in particular the cons, and you'll know exactly what is wrong with Xyratex SI Fremont, as well as potentially other areas of the business.

Second, clean out middle management, and flatten the organizational structure. There are way to many chiefs and not nearly enough indians (last review of the org-chart relieved 1 (chief) to 3.7 (indians)). Accept a quarter or two of substantial losses for Xyrates SI Fremont, to correct the systemic issues with the management, the organization, and the customer. Your long-term health is more important to the investors that matter, not the traders you keep listening to.

Third, the hand disk drive industry is dying, denial of this fact has directly impact your revenue, resulting in downsizing the expendable rank and file once again. There are other technology industries that are growing, which require test and automation equipment, obtain some vision, plant a seed, and watch the money tree grow!

It's a company that is on the decline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsA lot of very talented Engineers work here and the commitment that they have shown has been extraordinary. Facilities are good and staff are generally provided whatever tools are needed to do their jobs effectively

ConsThere appears to have been significant cronyism going on at senior management level in the last couple of years within the SI Division, leading to the Division following a strategy that is not appropriate for the industry in which SI operates, as the senior staff team now has insufficient HDD industry experience or knowledge (those with experience and who disagreed with the strategy get removed). The Division now operates with significantly higher numbers of VP's, Snr Directors & Directors than ever before, yet the revenue is less than 2006 ($385m then, $343m in 2010)

Advice to Senior ManagementStarting at the SI EVP level and working downwards, dismantle the SI team that has been brought in over the last couple of years and rebuild

Beware of this company, looks good but some managers are very hostile if you complain

Engineer (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsIf you have the right manager it looks like it can be a good experience.

ConsSome managers are so bad and some are micromanagers. Its a bad experience if you fall into that situation. All the glitter falls away and there seems to be no place to hide.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!