Xyratex
www.xyratex.com Havant, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Xyratex Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Pros:
  • "Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization"
    in 8 reviews
  • "It was close to home, but that has changed with all the reorganizations"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management are dreadful and completely out of touch with their employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Total disconnect between upper management and workers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

work on production line,assembler,inspection.

Hangingclothing&Inspect (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood benefits and friendly people.clean work and good management.

Conssome time work seven day week.

Work

Senior Director (Former Employee)
Fremont, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy days were always packed with tasks and deadlines to meet. I learned to multi task effectively and to prioritize my work flow for best efficiency. Our management was very hands off allowing us wide breadth of autonomy to achieve our metrics. New field for me.

ConsThis company could care less about it's employees! And it is just a job. Everyone wants out of the place but economy is still sucks. disjointed organization

Advice to Senior Managementlook out for emplyees

Incompetent dullards at the helm.

I worked at Xyratex

ProsOpportunity to create semblance of order out of chaos. Lots of low hanging fruit to pick. Easy to be a star amidst glaring mediocrity. UK full of dim bulbs.

ConsNo regard for employees outside the UK. Lots of L1's sent to the US from the UK who were far less qualified or educated than the Americans (total immigration fraud). Blatant violation of employment laws, e.g., keeping temps for over 2 years and many up to 5. Lousy technologists. Incompetent upper management.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and benefits, but no accountability for Management

Sacramento, CA

I worked at Xyratex full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee's were willing to go above and beyond the daily necessities of business. As much over-time as one person could possible take. I made more in over-time than I did as a base salary.

ConsProduction would sometimes work weeks without a day off. Repetitive and meaningless motions for most of the employee's. Management would hide problems from UK. Customers wait extraordinary amounts of time for new projects. UK is slow to react to problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver-time is not also good if you are wanting to produce a great product. Planning was horrid and needed to be over seen by someone with more experience. Wty manger needs communication classes. Very rude individual. She could be a drill Sargent for the Army, with her attitude and total disregard for employees/co-workers.

Dissolving

I have been working at Xyratex full-time

ProsWorking with select, respected co-workers.

ConsLack of communication. Under Acquisition. UK blocking meaningful access on the integration team to other regions. No retention strategies communicated in over 4 months since announcement. Extremely UK-centric, keeping Seagate from seeing talent in other regions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeagate needs to ensure that the intellectual capacity they are purchasing is not lost before the proposed acquisition closes. If acquisition does not go through, too much damage has been done to the business for a positive outlook.

I worked there for many years.

Heathrow, FL

I worked at Xyratex full-time

ProsPay was good - for certain people.

ConsIncompetent upper management. Too many VPs with high pay who did very little but point fingers. No appreciation for the "worker bees". Had to be part of the clique to get ahead. Management very reactive, not proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the high paid dead wood.

If you have goals and are a really hard worker, you can move your way up in the company.

West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Xyratex as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of nice people to work with. I was there 5 years and became part of a very important team with in the Sacramento operations.

ConsThey don't give out raises, and don't convert great employees to permanent.

They treat non-Xyratex employees like shlt.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter, the Sacramento location moved to Mexico.

Overall a great time

I worked at Xyratex full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat starting point for me to learn and practice my trade. Very knowledgeable people.

ConsWay to cliquish. Too much like junior high school. at times

Most unloyal company I've ever worked for

Production Operator (Current Employee)
West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Xyratex full-time for more than a year

Pros+Great diversity in the culture. I was immersed in a diverse mix of all kinds of cultured individuals and it was a great experience as a result.
+Good entry level wage

Cons-No real potential to go from the general "Production Operator" title into any position with more responsiblity.
-There was no real sense of appreciation for working hard and busting down deadlines.
-Temp-to-Hire promise is a straight up lie. Co-workers who were temps had been employed for just shy of 5 years never had the opportunity to become a permanent.
-Majority of the supervising staff did not communicate well with employees about work load and scheduling of overtime.
-Was often required to work 64+ hours a week for 3 weeks straight. Meaning, there was no work/life balance. My social life was centered around work.
-No real flexibility to those who are students looking to further their education.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo management, the people below you, the ones out on the production floor, temp or permanent, are all equally as important as those in the front office. A sense of appreciation or maybe even a pat on the back once in a while goes a long way in the eyes of a young, hard working kid. Creating opportunities for those loyal to your company to move up is important for ensuring the future success of your business.

Great co-workers, reasonable compensation

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Xyratex full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome very talented, savvy people work here

ConsBenefits are not as good as they should be for a company with a US base in California.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your teams. I can count significant training opportunities offered over the past ten years without having to take off my socks.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xyratex reviews and ratings. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Xyratex employees.