Y-12 National Security Complex

3.1
Darrel P. Kohlhorst

1. Doing big things

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall I believe that an employee's overall experience at Y12 greatly depends on which department you wind up in. Some departments seem to have much more flexibility over the others in the work they do, not to mention that some are utterly boring. The work that is done at Y12 is cutting edge in the nuclear field even though a lot of the complex is outdated, which adds to the employee moral of 'being proud of the work you do.' Good pay. The name carries a lot of weight on resumes' if you decide to leave.

Cons

Obviously, a ton of red tape. It sometimes is to the point where you begin to question rather or not normal conversation is acceptable. The facility is outdated in most buildings so unless you wind up in a new one, have fun. Most employees seem to be content, with very few people pushing the limits of science and what is possible.

Advice to Management

Try to cut down on the hefty price tag of the new processing facility and make more research labs and office space. Offer incentives for people to do better research. Give the employees coffee... Geez.

2. A mixed bag

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time

Pros

People are generally good to work and get along with. Employment is stable and a general lack of hard deadlines allows you to produce high quality work without being rushed. Promotions and raises seemed mostly commensurate to performance. Employees can receive up to 5 weeks PTO. Although riled by many, a new high-deductible health care option this year benefits those who strive to be healthy.

Cons

Most buildings look bad and are very old. Unionized craft workforce rules are aggravating to deal with. Benefits overall went downhill starting this year. Employer 401k contributions decreased. Monthly time balancing went away. Parking situation going from bad to worse for many employees. If you are one of the many unlucky ones, any time you enter or leave your workplace you'll now have to walk a long distance or ride a shuttle which only operates at certain times. Also no cellphones (or even fitbits, etc) are allowed in many areas and personal internet access is restricted. Want to send a quick text or need to check an important email from someone? That'll now take 30 minutes roundtrip to your car. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Spend some time in the areas that are most annoying to work in. Many people will not want to work here due to decisions made by people who are not affected by them. Some simple changes and improved communication could greatly improve morale and cost very little to implement.

3. Programmer

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time

Pros

Nice place to work. No one constantly looking over your shoulder. Nice environment for different types of personalities.

Cons

I can't really think of any. Perhaps the location... But that is nothing major.

Advice to Management

None.

5. Low Morale

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex

Pros

Good pay for the position. Decent benefits & 401k option. Many career opportunities if you are willing to move around and even potentially change your initial career plans.

Cons

Very low morale. Lack of and extremely poor leadership in several areas of the facility.

Advice to Management

"One Team" only works if upper management walks the walk. When Bechtel employees who are now Y-12 employees are attending exclusive "Bechtel Only" parties and receiving additional bonuses for being a Bechtel transfer, that only continues to drive a wedge and create morale issues plant wide. Morale issues = low productivity. Find a way to bridge that Bechtel vs Y-12 gap and value ALL employees.

There needs to be more accountability for upper management and how they treat those below them.

6. Long-Time Current Employee

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, if an engineer, some decent benefits. Work 4-10's, not including half hour lunch
    break each day.

Cons

New company, Consolidated Nuclear Security (CNS) took the plant over July 2014. Almost immediately sent VRIF's out to many long term employees with a mediocre severance allowance. If not accepted, no guarantee you would continue to have your job. After that, the "new" benefits meetings began taking place. Our benefits we had enjoyed for 30+ years all but went down the toilet. Needless to say a huge amount of long-time employees left, along with a wealth of valuable knowledge. They took away our sick time, vacation time, great insurance. They replaced vacation and sick with what they called PTO. Many folks had earned 6 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. Now, these same people get 4 weeks vacation and 1 week sick, max. Before, if you chose to take time off without pay instead of vacation at the end of your 1 week sick, that was your choice no problem. No more, you have absolutely NO choice, Before you can take time off with no pay, you are FORCED to use ALL your vacation. Also, we are FORCED to put 2% of our pay into a "retirement fund". This too has never been done. "Raises" are pretty much non-existent. CNS has taken what pride workers have had and sucked it out of us. Not necessarily management, they are in the 6 figure salary ranges. The company has no interest in employees at all. The more they take away from us, the more their pockets are filled. You mention to people where you work, you actually get a "knowing" look followed by "I've heard about what's happened out there" in reference to what these people have done to the employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about the people who know more about the plant and how it operates. Not the talking heads, young and old. Insurance, we would liked to have had the option to pay more with what we had, no one cares for what was offered. Choices were non-existent. There is no room for growth, any raise or promotion is dictated from people who have NO clue what you do. A quota is given for "rankings" of performance reviews, thus any raise of promotion. A complete joke and good ole boy system. Or whoever jokes and sucks up with the direct supervision.

7. Good place to start career

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get security clearance. Get to do really cool things. Plenty of potential for upward mobility.

Cons

Some employees are lazy. Bureaucracy is exhausting sometimes.

Change in management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly steady work. Depending on individual management the 4-10 workweek can be a plus.

Cons

New management has been given a directive to cut costs. Employee benefits are being cut. Some employees may be outsourced.

Advice to Management

Care more about the employees than their bonuses. Make sure there is sufficient knowledge transfer from the older employees to the newer ones. Acknowledge the efforts of your employees.

Senior citizen home, old technology and mindset

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401 k match, benefits, job security, government job

Cons

The work is boring, it is all about the good ole boy system, promotions, pay, are not base on education or job performance. The work life balance does not exist if working in prodction. One shift 10 hours 6 am to 4:30, Older people that will not accept any new technology. No raises, drama central, upper management picks mangers and dept heads that have never been in leadership positions, college, or any experience. If you have not been in the Navy you're looked down upon even if you severed in another branch of military. If you have an employee problem as a supervisor. the management will not back you. The equipment is old the people are old and stuck in a 1950's mindset.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the good ole boy system and the performance reviews for salary employee. no room for advancement and education requirements are non existent. Add flexible shift other shifts to production. Everyone is not over 50 and loves getting up at 330 am.

32 years in Oak RIdge

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in the IT department and really enjoy dynamic work. Although not cutting edge, there was always opportunities to move to new work areas after a few years.

Cons

A little too much micromanagement for professionals. Making the 4-10 workweek optional would have been better for many workers. Parking can be terrible at times.

Advice to Management

Senior management seemed detached from the workers, more open meetings with groups would be appreciated.

Long time employee and it just gets worse...

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

Good initial offer, some interesting work going on. If you can get on in an hourly wage position this is possibly the greatest place you can ever work.

Cons

Zero career development, excessive amount of bureaucracy, zero risk acceptance promotes inefficient work practices, broken technical ladder for engineers with no clear method for advancing in a career other than getting a management job and even then you really have to get a great initial offer as your pay will not keep up with inflation. What irks me the most is that after 10-years of dedicated service, going above and beyond, working weekends at no additional pay, and having 10-years worth of "Exceptional" performance reviews I am still in the same pay-grade that I hired in at TEN YEARS AGO and according to guidance I should be two entire levels higher by now. Even worse is that I am FAR from the middle pay for the entry level position I am slotted and the hourly wage earners that I work with have and still make considerably more than I do even with less job experience, no degree and just considering base-pay, add in paid overtime and guaranteed raises and this is a great plant for a hourly wage earner . Discussions with many of my peers has revealed a very real pattern of under-paying and under-promoting the salaried workforce. I used to love the job but being dead-ended has worn my tolerance thin, I see no realistic long-term benefit for employment here.

Advice to Management

Get RID of the lateral movements ASAP, ensure a competitive pay scale for employees, and please consider individual performance during raise / promotion time. Or better yet just keep giving below inflation raises and promotions regardless of performance reviews and keep the award funds for better things, as retention isn't a big deal apparently.

RSS Feed </> Embed