Y-12 National Security Complex

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
3.2

Darrel P. Kohlhorst

Good place to start career

Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Chemical Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get security clearance. Get to do really cool things. Plenty of potential for upward mobility.

Cons

Some employees are lazy. Bureaucracy is exhausting sometimes.

Change in management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly steady work. Depending on individual management the 4-10 workweek can be a plus.

Cons

New management has been given a directive to cut costs. Employee benefits are being cut. Some employees may be outsourced.

Care more about the employees than their bonuses. Make sure there is sufficient knowledge transfer from the older employees to the newer ones. Acknowledge the efforts of your employees.

Senior citizen home, old technology and mindset

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401 k match, benefits, job security, government job

Cons

The work is boring, it is all about the good ole boy system, promotions, pay, are not base on education or job performance. The work life balance does not exist if working in prodction. One shift 10 hours 6 am to 4:30, Older people that will not accept any new technology. No raises, drama central, upper management picks mangers and dept heads that have never been in leadership positions, college, or any experience. If you have not been in the Navy you're looked down upon even if you severed in another branch of military. If you have an employee problem as a supervisor. the management will not back you. The equipment is old the people are old and stuck in a 1950's mindset.

Get rid of the good ole boy system and the performance reviews for salary employee. no room for advancement and education requirements are non existent. Add flexible shift other shifts to production. Everyone is not over 50 and loves getting up at 330 am.

32 years in Oak RIdge

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked in the IT department and really enjoy dynamic work. Although not cutting edge, there was always opportunities to move to new work areas after a few years.

Cons

A little too much micromanagement for professionals. Making the 4-10 workweek optional would have been better for many workers. Parking can be terrible at times.

Senior management seemed detached from the workers, more open meetings with groups would be appreciated.

Long time employee and it just gets worse...

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good initial offer, some interesting work going on. If you can get on in an hourly wage position this is possibly the greatest place you can ever work.

Cons

Zero career development, excessive amount of bureaucracy, zero risk acceptance promotes inefficient work practices, broken technical ladder for engineers with no clear method for advancing in a career other than getting a management job and even then you really have to get a great initial offer as your pay will not keep up with inflation. What irks me the most is that after 10-years of dedicated service, going above and beyond, working weekends at no additional pay, and having 10-years worth of "Exceptional" performance reviews I am still in the same pay-grade that I hired in at TEN YEARS AGO and according to guidance I should be two entire levels higher by now. Even worse is that I am FAR from the middle pay for the entry level position I am slotted and the hourly wage earners that I work with have and still make considerably more than I do even with less job experience, no degree and just considering base-pay, add in paid overtime and guaranteed raises and this is a great plant for a hourly wage earner . Discussions with many of my peers has revealed a very real pattern of under-paying and under-promoting the salaried workforce. I used to love the job but being dead-ended has worn my tolerance thin, I see no realistic long-term benefit for employment here.

Get RID of the lateral movements ASAP, ensure a competitive pay scale for employees, and please consider individual performance during raise / promotion time. Or better yet just keep giving below inflation raises and promotions regardless of performance reviews and keep the award funds for better things, as retention isn't a big deal apparently.

Socialist Empire

Current Employee - Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's easy to impress people, because most of your peers will never go above and beyond. There WAS a pension plan that made their compensation package competitive, but that went away a couple of years ago. Your salary can START seemingly high.

Cons

Company has promotion guidelines, but does not follow them and your performance doesn't matter. You can be a stellar performer at pay grade x and the worst performer at pay grade x+2 will get the same percent increase you do, which equates to a lot more actual dollars for the lackluster performance. People never get demoted, so there is never freed up budget to reward the performers. Meanwhile, you can never get promoted unless you are at the top of your manager's list AND there is a budget for promotions AND you've been around 3 times longer than the promotion schedule AND you have dirt on someone. Additionally, you will not attain any new skills that translate to other industries. It's a bad career move to come to Y-12, unless you plan on staying until retirement.

Pay for work expected and done, not seniority. If someone gets a big raise for going into management, then leaves management because they either can't cut it or don't want to do it anymore, take their pay away so that more people can get the promotions they've earned. This is supposed to be a business, not socialist Greece where the aged become entitled based simply on time and attendance.

Great Benefits

Former Employee - Engineer III in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Engineer III in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, interesting work, great coworkers

Cons

Congressional politics plays a huge role in your salary

Another government job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Y-12 National Security Complex full-time

Pros

People that I work with

Cons

More concerned about making numbers than staff morale. Hard to make a difference. Lots of guns, guards, and gates.

Look at the people as an asset and realize that morale is important.

Summer Intern experience.

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Y-12 National Security Complex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The new engineer rotation program give employees the opportunity to rotate through the various engineering departments to determine which one will be the best fit for the individual.

Cons

No negative comments at this time.

None

A good place to work.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Oak Ridge, TN

Pros

Job security (so far). Calm atmosphere (mostly).

Cons

May have to seek direction/development advice.

Develop the youth.