Y of Central Maryland

Great summer job

Former Employee - Camp Counselor  in  Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Y of Central Maryland for more than a year

Pros

Company values are admirable, coworkers are great, pre-camp training was very beneficial for the staff. Dancel was one of the most sought after YCAMP locations, which brought in some great campers with gracious parents.

Cons

You won't get a raise unless you get a promotion, which is fine for a summer job but I could not imagine working there year-round. Being outside in the Maryland summer heat could get unbearable.

Poor Quality

Former Employee - Camp Counselor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Y of Central Maryland part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good to be affiliated with a well known brand. Job itself could have been a fun summer job if not for the cons

Cons

They do not communicate the position and requirements very well. The pay is very low, when the company is making money on it. Those who are in charge do not seem to have management experience and are not very professional

When paying for summer jobs all over the place, consider reimbursing for mileage.

Great place to work, except for the unlawful pay secrecy policy that prevents equality in the work place.

Current Employee - Stay and Play Caregiver  in  Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Stay and Play Caregiver in Westminster, MD

I have been working at Y of Central Maryland part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pros to working in the Stay and Play are the hours and the great people.

Cons

Poor leadership, unfair pay (newer employees make more than current employees that have been working there for 5+ years, myself included), a pay secrecy policy that dictates that we will be terminated if we talk about our wages (which is illegal under the NLRA of 1935), disconnected management.

The work life balance offered by the Stay & Play is fantastic. The people we work with are great. The management is not. I suggest paying people fairly in the first place instead of enacting a policy that, for one, is illegal, and two is meant to hide the fact that the wages are unfair. If you are looking for a good part time job, I wish I could say that the Stay & Play would be a good option, but this pay issue is a big one.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Little room for Advancement, Heavy Politics

I worked at Y of Central Maryland full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people who work there are generally very passionate about the cause they are working for, creating a very great environment.

Cons

Large disconnect from Association Office and the Branches, senior Management is not in tune with what is needed at the branch level. Promotions are only based on politics, not actual merit. Within the Organization, there is a resistance to outside training, even if it would be beneficial, they are only concerned with training done in-house. Pay is not great for the amount of work expected.

One of the Goals is to be an employer of choice. If you are serious about that goal, you need to really sit down and look at the Organization and change things. Advancement needs to be based on merit and accomplishments, not politics, compensation needs to be in line with the amount of work expected.

Great People, Confusing Work Environment

I worked at Y of Central Maryland full-time

Pros

Wonderful community of people working together for a common good
    Okay work/life balance
    Great people

Cons

Poor pay
    Overworked
    Not recognized for your work even if you are doing the job of 6 people

Take care of your people. They are working hard with very little respect.

Great work place environment

I worked at Y of Central Maryland

Pros

The people here are very nice.

Cons

Better integration more IT to daily work instead of manually.

Community service oriented, but no clear sense of direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Y of Central Maryland

Pros

There's a strong sense of community among coworkers. The organization provides internal training resources for employees, including paying for state required licenses (child care services).

Cons

There is little to no room for growth within the organization and the pay is abysmal (under $30k for full-time white collar position after two years). I've witnessed certain members of the management and executive team speak down to employees in condescending tones, or sit idly by as interpersonal conflict arises between coworkers within the office. The organization, while community service focus, lacked a clear sense of direction. They had great ideas on what they wanted to do for the community, but it wasn't clear to the employees what their steps were for getting there.

Take recognition of your strongest employees and promote from within. Provide professional training and/or educational reimbursement opportunities for employees who wish to grow professionally within your organization. Clarify your organizational goals and steps for attaining this to all of your employees, not just the executive team and community board members.

Worked for Y of Central Maryland? Contribute to the Community!