YAI National Institute

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
3.1

Stephen E. Freeman

Pros
  • Work is rarely taken home and vacation/sick time is generous (in 3 reviews)

• Very good benefits, including four weeks vacation (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • as with all other organizations in this field non profit pay is below average for the amount of work done (in 4 reviews)

• This can also be viewed positively, longevity is common place particularly in upper management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of team, ample vacation and holiday time, excellent not-for-profit work.

Cons

When you work for a not-for-profit, you trade a corporate salary for a true sense of doing "good" work.

Awesome work culture!

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

The people are the best, so respectful and supportive

Cons

Currently there are budget cuts happening which means fewer people around to get everything done

Great Place to Get Experience; Different Schedules Available

Current Employee - Direct Service Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Service Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to get experience working with adults who have developmental disabilities. I have worked in one of the residences as a per-diem for several years and have really enjoyed it. I have gotten to know the guys and to get a lot of training.

Cons

The only cons are the hourly wage and if the guys have behaviors.

Good Place to Be, Not a forever job!

Current Employee - DSP Per Diem in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - DSP Per Diem in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy work, rewarding, good coworkers. The consumers are grateful for the services they receive.

Cons

I use this as a second job but could not survive in NYC on this alone. Many of my coworkers are students in school or looking at outside employment. Lots of coworkers take advantage of overtime at the different residences.

Great place to work

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Mission driven culture, Great place to work.

Cons

Difficult financial environment for all non-profits.

Provide training and keep investing in your employees

good company poor admin. team

Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The consumers make the job rewarding and fun to be at

Cons

admin. staff create an uneasy work environment and deal with financial set back terribly

reconsider your staff work comfort and diminish the drama

A great company that is full of politics.

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Lots of training that help you perform your job well.

Cons

Understaffed so you have to do the work of 2 or 3 staff. Been working here for 4 years. No raises, low job opportunities, and staff are not treated well. This doesn't apply to the entire company but for the residence I work for. Pay rates should be higher for staff in behavioral houses. And raises should be given for performance.

Value your employees their part of the reason you are in the position your in.

Worked for 10 years at Central Office

Former Employee - Financial Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good hourly rate in salary, but still not a living wage for NYC. Formed some great relationships with co-workers.

Cons

Located all the way on the 10th Ave, make sure you have 15 minutes to walk from your train station on 34th St. Dept was an absolute stickler about being at your desk at 9AM, which made no sense since you always stayed as late as needed to make sure that your work was completed.

If your employees excel at their positions, flextime should be offered as an option.

Supportive Non Profit with opportunities to grow

Former Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Medicaid Service Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training, Supportive Supervisors, Friendly Atmosphere, Room to Grow Professionally, Work/Life Balance

Cons

The only Con for me was salary

They will chew you up and spit you out with little regard or even a farewell!

Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the Consumers are pleasant to work with and will place a smile on your face. Some of the training provided is useful and informative.

Cons

Some of the Consumers should not be in the setting they are in and can cause stress for the consumers who are more manageable.
    Some staff members who have been there for a long time are not open to suggestions and like to micro manage, often listening in on conversations from the next room, insisting the consumers "know" when they clearly don't.
    Some staff members are on a power trip and deny consumers things such as coffee or a cookie simply because they can. HR will lye and mislead you. Supervisors wont answer your calls.

Over worked-under payed. Supervisors love to play favorites. My ex supervisor was so fake, it nauseated me. If you do not fit in with their ways then you are an outcast and they will get rid of you without a good bye. I was instructed to complete an application a specific way which caused me my job. After reaching out to the Supervisors on several occasions they never contacted me. I was left to fend for myself. I was very honest about a situation which may have resulted in my name being placed on a CPS list due to DV and yet I was still treated as if I did something wrong. I was never given the opportunity to defend myself as I was promised. It was an isolated incident, I did not hurt my children and I was acting in self defense. In addition I was not convicted and received an ACD. I do not have a criminal record. I also completed all necessary DV awareness and parenting classes. Yet, HR and my supervisor decided to label me violent and treated me like dirt.