YAI National Institute Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Stephen E. Freeman

Pros
  • Personal growth wise, you may find this to be a good experience if you are depressed or unsure of yourself (in 2 reviews)

• When you have a good team, the work is easier (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • non profit- salaries reflect that (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is low, if you do not have a degree then as full time salary is 24,000 a year and 27,000 with a Bachelors (in 2 reviews)

No room for growth

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Lots of time off. People stay in their positions forever.

Cons

Management is led by educators and social workers with little to no management aptitude.

No room for advancement of you are not a "yes man." Management picks favorites for promotions.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers in general are friendly.

Cons

Poor salary. No raises. Management inept.

Advice to Management

Listen to people with experience and brains. Drop your own egos in the wastebasket.

Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

The mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

Cons

My job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

5. They will chew you up and spit you out with little regard or even a farewell!

Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the Consumers are pleasant to work with and will place a smile on your face. Some of the training provided is useful and informative.

Cons

Some of the Consumers should not be in the setting they are in and can cause stress for the consumers who are more manageable. Some staff members who have been there for a long time are not open to suggestions and like to micro manage, often listening in on conversations from the next room, insisting the consumers "know" when they clearly don't. Some staff members are on a power trip and deny consumers things such as coffee or a cookie simply because they can. HR will lye and mislead you. Supervisors wont answer your calls.

Advice to Management

Over worked-under payed. Supervisors love to play favorites. My ex supervisor was so fake, it nauseated me. If you do not fit in with their ways then you are an outcast and they will get rid of you without a good bye. I was instructed to complete an application a specific way which caused me my job. After reaching out to the Supervisors on several occasions they never contacted me. I was left to fend for myself. I was very honest about a situation which may have resulted in my name being placed on a CPS list due to DV and yet I was still treated as if I did something wrong. I was never given the opportunity to defend myself as I was promised. It was an isolated incident, I did not hurt my children and I was acting in self defense. In addition I was not convicted and received an ACD. I do not have a criminal record. I also completed all necessary DV awareness and parenting classes. Yet, HR and my supervisor decided to label me violent and treated me like dirt.

6. Great place to work

Pros

Mission driven culture, Great place to work.

Cons

Difficult financial environment for all non-profits.

Advice to Management

Provide training and keep investing in your employees

7. Under payed, over worked

Pros

Dealing with the families was much more eventfully

Cons

The administrators WILL throw you under the bus in a heart beat, especially if you don't belong to their "klick", supervisors definitly not professional, they yell and bang their fist to make sure you follow their commands, NO RAISE in 7 years, layoffs

8. Ok

Pros

Experience with individuals are the best part

Cons

Pay is low and needs to be increased

9. counselor

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Salary is too low for part or full time

Advice to Management

E

County of Rockland, don't expect excitement.

Former Employee - X in New City, NY
    Former Employee - X in New City, NY

Pros

Work is rarely taken home and vacation/sick time is generous.

Cons

Don't look here if you want to stretch your brain. Too many staff workers with not enough to do. Inundated with nothing. No reward for hard work, just a slap on the back. Naturally, pay is low when compared to private industry.

Advice to Management

Cut down on staff and reduce patronage hires.

In the meantime in between time..great for new grads or the unemployed stay for a year and LEAVE

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

-they hire great fun people (too bad they lose them) -They wont fire you since everyone quits -You get a good feeling knowing that YAI is important for families and people with disabilities

Cons

-CFO only likes and promotes men -NO Growth, they would rather hire from outside -ZERO SALARY INCREASES although upper management is getting paid way too high...always the excuse of "budget Cuts" -Sneaky management that will promote people in the department but wont annouce it or have the person keep it as a secret because 4 people within the same department who do more and have been working there just as long or longer have not seen one promotion or increase -Employees that sleep at their desk get recognition over the person who works

Advice to Management

You hire great people and do a very poor job at keeping them. FIX IT!

RSS Feed </> Embed