YAI National Institute

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen E. Freeman

Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

ConsMy job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

No room for advancement of you are not a "yes man." Management picks favorites for promotions.

Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsCoworkers in general are friendly.

ConsPoor salary. No raises. Management inept.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people with experience and brains. Drop your own egos in the wastebasket.

No room for growth

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of time off. People stay in their positions forever.

ConsManagement is led by educators and social workers with little to no management aptitude.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IF YOU WANT THE LIFE SUCKED OUT OF YOU WITH MINIMAL PAY- WORK HERE!

Social Work (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe only pro is that they offer health care (for yourself only) at no cost to you- aside from copays. They offer the usual, sick days and vacation days as well. Good luck with getting your days off however, you may need to jump through hoops.

ConsNo room AT ALL for advancement. They would much rather hire from outside in then give qualified, long standing employees the opportunity to grow. Worked here for OVER 8 years!. The "open door" policy is misleading, prepare to be blocked or sabotaged by current supervisor from being appointed to higher positions. The pay is extremely low (even for non-profit standards), many unqualified/ no knowledge knowing supervisors (non- credentialed) who were placed in high positions due to being Grandfathered in. Nepotism at its best!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating your staff ( aside from the silly Staff Day parties- which has the exact same meal/ menu EVERY year). Hire staff with the proper credentials and demote the incompetent to positions where they belong, geesh! At least make a Master's Degree a minimum for program-clinic coordinators, or supervisors. How else would you expect them to supervise Graduate level and Licensed employees? I feel like i wasted my time here; moved onto bigger and better things. side note: Stephen Freeman is a nice guy, too bad my supervisor was such a horrible person.

Good for people not looking to do much in life

Respite/Afterschool (Current Employee)

ProsGood for first time job, nice consumers,nice environment, throws some nice party's to show support for workers who been around for 5 years

ConsNot to many opportunities, other agencies pay better and offer vacation time with pay and other benefits, treats employees who are more like friends better, supervisors aren't always doing their job

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more opportunities for people who stay for more than a year or two. Paid vacation time, and more training for the supervisors. And more training for the workers themselves ever year I think we should have some training techniques on how to hang people with disabilities better

Ok Atmosphere

Program Supervisor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood folks to work with

ConsCan't think of too many cons

Less than ideal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Self-satisfaction from working for an organization that does a good thing for society.
    - Good work/life balance

Cons- horrible pay
    - no growth potential
    - company values tenure too much
    - talented staff leaves for reasons listed above

Advice to Senior ManagementTenure with the company does not mean a person is capable of handling a management position.

YAI Should be a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Easy to get comfortable
    - Constant staff training
    - Professional at times
    - Working with like-minded people can be great
    - Many career driven people

Cons- Advancement is non-existent
    - Working in group homes is extremely stressful
    - Due to the nature of the work, employees back stab each other frequently
    - Management does not care if you love the company, any problems and they pressure you to quit
    - Management ACTIVELY may prevent you from any room to maneuver
    - Write-ups can be used to instantly end chances for longevity or advancement
    - Staff members will literally fight you on the job
    - Management, especially upper management are drunk on their power

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many teachers pets and unofficial managers, ie: long-term employees that are treated like managers and given statues, yet curse/disrespect newer employees,saying things management would never be allowed to say.
    Don't screw over those who love the company for those who dont.

In the meantime in between time..great for new grads or the unemployed stay for a year and LEAVE

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-they hire great fun people (too bad they lose them)
    -They wont fire you since everyone quits
    -You get a good feeling knowing that YAI is important for families and people with disabilities

Cons-CFO only likes and promotes men
    -NO Growth, they would rather hire from outside
    -ZERO SALARY INCREASES although upper management is getting paid way too high...always the excuse of "budget Cuts"
    -Sneaky management that will promote people in the department but wont annouce it or have the person keep it as a secret because 4 people within the same department who do more and have been working there just as long or longer have not seen one promotion or increase
    -Employees that sleep at their desk get recognition over the person who works

Advice to Senior ManagementYou hire great people and do a very poor job at keeping them. FIX IT!

County of Rockland, don't expect excitement.

X (Former Employee) New City, NY

ProsWork is rarely taken home and vacation/sick time is generous.

ConsDon't look here if you want to stretch your brain. Too many staff workers with not enough to do. Inundated with nothing. No reward for hard work, just a slap on the back. Naturally, pay is low when compared to private industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on staff and reduce patronage hires.

Worked for YAI National Institute? Contribute to the Community!