YAI National Institute Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Stephen E. Freeman

Pros
  • Personal growth wise, you may find this to be a good experience if you are depressed or unsure of yourself (in 2 reviews)

• When you have a good team, the work is easier (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • non profit- salaries reflect that (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is low, if you do not have a degree then as full time salary is 24,000 a year and 27,000 with a Bachelors (in 2 reviews)

1. Ok

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Experience with individuals are the best part

Cons

Pay is low and needs to be increased

2. Under payed, over worked

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Dealing with the families was much more eventfully

Cons

The administrators WILL throw you under the bus in a heart beat, especially if you don't belong to their "klick", supervisors definitly not professional, they yell and bang their fist to make sure you follow their commands, NO RAISE in 7 years, layoffs

3. Great place to work

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Mission driven culture, Great place to work.

Cons

Difficult financial environment for all non-profits.

Advice to Management

Provide training and keep investing in your employees

5. They will chew you up and spit you out with little regard or even a farewell!

Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Service Provider in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the Consumers are pleasant to work with and will place a smile on your face. Some of the training provided is useful and informative.

Cons

Some of the Consumers should not be in the setting they are in and can cause stress for the consumers who are more manageable.
    Some staff members who have been there for a long time are not open to suggestions and like to micro manage, often listening in on conversations from the next room, insisting the consumers "know" when they clearly don't.
    Some staff members are on a power trip and deny consumers things such as coffee or a cookie simply because they can. HR will lye and mislead you. Supervisors wont answer your calls.

Advice to Management

Over worked-under payed. Supervisors love to play favorites. My ex supervisor was so fake, it nauseated me. If you do not fit in with their ways then you are an outcast and they will get rid of you without a good bye. I was instructed to complete an application a specific way which caused me my job. After reaching out to the Supervisors on several occasions they never contacted me. I was left to fend for myself. I was very honest about a situation which may have resulted in my name being placed on a CPS list due to DV and yet I was still treated as if I did something wrong. I was never given the opportunity to defend myself as I was promised. It was an isolated incident, I did not hurt my children and I was acting in self defense. In addition I was not convicted and received an ACD. I do not have a criminal record. I also completed all necessary DV awareness and parenting classes. Yet, HR and my supervisor decided to label me violent and treated me like dirt.

Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

The mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

Cons

My job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

No room for advancement of you are not a "yes man." Management picks favorites for promotions.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers in general are friendly.

Cons

Poor salary. No raises. Management inept.

Advice to Management

Listen to people with experience and brains. Drop your own egos in the wastebasket.

No room for growth

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Lots of time off. People stay in their positions forever.

Cons

Management is led by educators and social workers with little to no management aptitude.

9. Medicaid Service Coordinator

Current Employee - MSC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - MSC in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Health Insurance as a single individual and Benny Perks.

Cons

Long Term and experienced staff are under under-appreciated. Unqualified employees grandfathered into management positions.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and compensate your employees adequately and they will stick around longer.

A frustrating and disappointing system

Current Employee - Community Training Specialist
    Current Employee - Community Training Specialist

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

The schedule is great. It is typically 8:15-3:30. On Fridays we can leave at 2:30 which is even better. Also, it helps having the opportunity to take clients to volunteer sites which beats sitting in an office all day.

Cons

It's a dirty job. Clients are typically not hygienic (which is understood because they have disabilities) but it takes time to adjust to the odors and germs (I've gotten sick frequently).
    The facility is not sanitized thoroughly.

clients can become physically aggressive.

In addition, staff tend to feel a lack of support from supervisors when we need additional assistance for clients who are showing warning signs of aggression.

There is no growth in the company. Not many options at all if you want to get promoted.
    The salary is not high enough.

Advice to Management

I would advise that they provide more support to the staff. When there are concerns about specific clients and staff require additional assistance that the supervisors can specifically provide (since staff are responsible for multiple clients at once), it goes disregarded until something worse happens (I.e. Client becomes Physically aggressive).

Very rewarding, but expect unreasonably high workload and very little support.

Former Employee - DSP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - DSP in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute

Pros

Working with the individuals! They are fantastic.
    Free health insurance when working full-time
    Excellent trainings

Cons

$27K for DSP work is atrocious.
    Although the management is aware of under-staffing issues, there is still constant pressure and frequent reminders that if all responsibilities are not met staff will be fired effective immediately.
    NO RAISE ever.

Advice to Management

This section is pointless. Your egos are too inflated.

RSS Feed </> Embed