YAI National Institute

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.4

Stephen E. Freeman

Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

The mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

Cons

My job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

No room for advancement of you are not a "yes man." Management picks favorites for promotions.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers in general are friendly.

Cons

Poor salary. No raises. Management inept.

Listen to people with experience and brains. Drop your own egos in the wastebasket.

No room for growth

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute

Pros

Lots of time off. People stay in their positions forever.

Cons

Management is led by educators and social workers with little to no management aptitude.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of responsibility, no advancement, inconsistent consequences

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time

Pros

They provide good services, for the most part, to the individuals they serve

Cons

Lot of staff are horrible at job and just don't care. No incentive to work hard / almost no consequences for being awful at job

Provide more support to the people who consistently go above and beyond, and hold people who fail to meet minimum standards accountable.

IF YOU WANT THE LIFE SUCKED OUT OF YOU WITH MINIMAL PAY- WORK HERE!

Current Employee - Social Work  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Social Work in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at YAI National Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The only pro is that they offer health care (for yourself only) at no cost to you- aside from copays. They offer the usual, sick days and vacation days as well. Good luck with getting your days off however, you may need to jump through hoops.

Cons

No room AT ALL for advancement. They would much rather hire from outside in then give qualified, long standing employees the opportunity to grow. Worked here for OVER 8 years!. The "open door" policy is misleading, prepare to be blocked or sabotaged by current supervisor from being appointed to higher positions. The pay is extremely low (even for non-profit standards), many unqualified/ no knowledge knowing supervisors (non- credentialed) who were placed in high positions due to being Grandfathered in. Nepotism at its best!

Start appreciating your staff ( aside from the silly Staff Day parties- which has the exact same meal/ menu EVERY year). Hire staff with the proper credentials and demote the incompetent to positions where they belong, geesh! At least make a Master's Degree a minimum for program-clinic coordinators, or supervisors. How else would you expect them to supervise Graduate level and Licensed employees? I feel like i wasted my time here; moved onto bigger and better things. side note: Stephen Freeman is a nice guy, too bad my supervisor was such a horrible person.

Good for people not looking to do much in life

Current Employee - Respite/Afterschool
    Current Employee - Respite/Afterschool

I have been working at YAI National Institute part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good for first time job, nice consumers,nice environment, throws some nice party's to show support for workers who been around for 5 years

Cons

Not to many opportunities, other agencies pay better and offer vacation time with pay and other benefits, treats employees who are more like friends better, supervisors aren't always doing their job

Make more opportunities for people who stay for more than a year or two. Paid vacation time, and more training for the supervisors. And more training for the workers themselves ever year I think we should have some training techniques on how to hang people with disabilities better

Ok Atmosphere

Former Employee - Program Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good folks to work with

Cons

Can't think of too many cons

Less than ideal

I worked at YAI National Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Self-satisfaction from working for an organization that does a good thing for society.
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- horrible pay
    - no growth potential
    - company values tenure too much
    - talented staff leaves for reasons listed above

Tenure with the company does not mean a person is capable of handling a management position.

YAI Should be a great place to work

I worked at YAI National Institute

Pros

- Easy to get comfortable
    - Constant staff training
    - Professional at times
    - Working with like-minded people can be great
    - Many career driven people

Cons

- Advancement is non-existent
    - Working in group homes is extremely stressful
    - Due to the nature of the work, employees back stab each other frequently
    - Management does not care if you love the company, any problems and they pressure you to quit
    - Management ACTIVELY may prevent you from any room to maneuver
    - Write-ups can be used to instantly end chances for longevity or advancement
    - Staff members will literally fight you on the job
    - Management, especially upper management are drunk on their power

Too many teachers pets and unofficial managers, ie: long-term employees that are treated like managers and given statues, yet curse/disrespect newer employees,saying things management would never be allowed to say.
    Don't screw over those who love the company for those who dont.

In the meantime in between time..great for new grads or the unemployed stay for a year and LEAVE

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at YAI National Institute

Pros

-they hire great fun people (too bad they lose them)
    -They wont fire you since everyone quits
    -You get a good feeling knowing that YAI is important for families and people with disabilities

Cons

-CFO only likes and promotes men
    -NO Growth, they would rather hire from outside
    -ZERO SALARY INCREASES although upper management is getting paid way too high...always the excuse of "budget Cuts"
    -Sneaky management that will promote people in the department but wont annouce it or have the person keep it as a secret because 4 people within the same department who do more and have been working there just as long or longer have not seen one promotion or increase
    -Employees that sleep at their desk get recognition over the person who works

You hire great people and do a very poor job at keeping them. FIX IT!

Worked for YAI National Institute? Contribute to the Community!