YAI National Institute

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Stephen E. Freeman

nice and friendly assistants.

Student Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsBest to work here to impress an employer with diversity, especially retail or other day care services. Personal growth wise, you may find this to be a good experience if you are depressed or unsure of yourself.

ConsSometimes they cannot afford to pay you, work can be extended if a parent is late, a close watch of the children is a must to work here long term.

Rewarding job with low pay

Employment Training Specialist (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe individuals you work with sometimes make great strides which can be very rewarding. Getting comp time for working over time can be used to come in later or leave early from work.

ConsLittle pay sometimes can feel like you do some much more than you are compensated for. Hours as a job coach can vary based on clients schedule. Lack of overtime

Job in the corporate office was the worst decision of my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission statement of the organization is terrific and the work that the Direct Service Professionals do out in the field is fantastic. I cannot praise them enough.

ConsMy job was in the corporate office (for 2+ years) and it was such a disappointment professionally and caused me such high levels of anxiety on a personal level. Management in corporate has no clue what they are doing. Most of the senior staff have been there for 20+ years, and everyone is afraid of change or to impliment new policies. There is little room for growth because no one senior leaves, and the senior team does not recognize young or new talent and look to encourage ideas by promoting. I have never felt so little support from a boss..... although he was quick to take credit for my good ideas whenever the CEO was present. And because the senior team manages so poorly, it causes employees at the lower level to become competitive with one another -- trying to get "mom and dad's" approval. This fosters an ugly work enviornment among "team" members. And don't even get me started on the salary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IF YOU WANT THE LIFE SUCKED OUT OF YOU WITH MINIMAL PAY- WORK HERE!

Social Work (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsThe only pro is that they offer health care (for yourself only) at no cost to you- aside from copays. They offer the usual, sick days and vacation days as well. Good luck with getting your days off however, you may need to jump through hoops.

ConsNo room AT ALL for advancement. They would much rather hire from outside in then give qualified, long standing employees the opportunity to grow. Worked here for OVER 8 years!. The "open door" policy is misleading, prepare to be blocked or sabotaged by current supervisor from being appointed to higher positions. The pay is extremely low (even for non-profit standards), many unqualified/ no knowledge knowing supervisors (non- credentialed) who were placed in high positions due to being Grandfathered in. Nepotism at its best!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating your staff ( aside from the silly Staff Day parties- which has the exact same meal/ menu EVERY year). Hire staff with the proper credentials and demote the incompetent to positions where they belong, geesh! At least make a Master's Degree a minimum for program-clinic coordinators, or supervisors. How else would you expect them to supervise Graduate level and Licensed employees? I feel like i wasted my time here; moved onto bigger and better things. side note: Stephen Freeman is a nice guy, too bad my supervisor was such a horrible person.

Great company with a broad variety of services for the Developmental Disabilities population from birth to aging.

ProsExcellent Benefits
    Rewarding Experiences
    Great Services
    Excellent, educated and well trained staff

ConsLow wages
    Potential for Growth- hard, very limited opportunities
    Lot of paperwork for DSPs with little time to complete

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill mentorship program
    More involvement of direct care staff in communication, changes, etc

medical direct servce profeshional

Medical DSP (Current Employee)
    Queens Village, NY

Proslots of trinings to teach you everything you need to know

Consthe pay is kinda low

Advice to Senior Managementfriendly

Great Job for the Right Person

DSP (Former Employee)

ProsThey treat their employees like gold, room for growth, very rewarding, great team atmosphere, excellent benefits, lots of available overtime, great amount of training and resources.

ConsThe pay isnt too great for the job and non stop asking to pick up shifts when you're already working 60+ hours.. can never pick up enough shifts for them.

Good for people not looking to do much in life

Respite/Afterschool (Current Employee)

ProsGood for first time job, nice consumers,nice environment, throws some nice party's to show support for workers who been around for 5 years

ConsNot to many opportunities, other agencies pay better and offer vacation time with pay and other benefits, treats employees who are more like friends better, supervisors aren't always doing their job

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more opportunities for people who stay for more than a year or two. Paid vacation time, and more training for the supervisors. And more training for the workers themselves ever year I think we should have some training techniques on how to hang people with disabilities better

Ok Atmosphere

Program Supervisor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood folks to work with

ConsCan't think of too many cons

medical records

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUpper management Mary Brady outstanding!

ConsThere are no real cons here.

Worked for YAI National Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YAI National Institute reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YAI National Institute CEO Stephen E. Freeman. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by YAI National Institute employees.