YESCO

Updated September 16, 2014
2.4

Michael T. Young

Family Owned Company with Big Company perks

I have been working at YESCO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Management is frequently picked from existing lower level employees
    -Pay and Benefits are very competitive and they are very transparent about any changes
    -Willingness to talk policies out instead of just referring to a book
    -Flexibility of a small company while giving benefits and pay of a large company
    -Consistent yearly reviews with raises
    -CEO is a genuinely nice person who always make an effort to shake every employees hand and gets to know them

Cons

-Being a small company sometimes cuts are made of the blue to staff
    -Got hit really hard with new insurance regulations and had to cut some benefits (still good but not a great as they were)
    -Depending on where you work you may work with a combination of engineers and day laborers which creates friction sometimes in the work environment

Most mismanaged company I've ever worked for...

Former Employee - Sales Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Management in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at YESCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am honestly struggling to find any positives. The only think I can think of is that there people there whom I really miss. They complain about working there, but fear keeps them from breaking free. I hope they learn that there is life beyond this poor excuse of a company.

Cons

This is the second Mormon, family-owned company for which I've worked. Unless I find myself in dire straits, it will be my last. Nepotism rules the day at YESCO, which partially explains why they are in so much trouble. If you are outside of the 'club', you will not progress, and you will be one of the first to be let go. Don't get too comfortable...and keep looking for a REAL job. This is a sinking ship, and just like the Titanic, nobody at the helm will take responsibility.

Find some experienced management from OUTSIDE the company (somebody without the last name of Young or Williams) and let them apply proven operational strategies, not the tired, old, matrix management that was recently heralded as new and innovative. The matrix management model has been abandoned by most companies who tried it in the early 90s as it was discovered that accountability is rendered nearly impossible.

An interesting company, but it's been sad to watch the steady decline due to corporate mismanagement.

Former Employee - Production in Saint George, UT
    Former Employee - Production in Saint George, UT

I worked at YESCO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to the plant closure in April 2014, the work was generally quite unique and exciting. Sign projects were rarely alike and this kept things interesting. The St George workforce was like a family. Never have I seen a group of people work so well together with so few problems. Many of the projects we worked on were for extravagant Las Vegas casinos and it was extremely rewarding to see our efforts featured prominently on the Vegas skyline.

Compensation varied from poor to through the roof. If you were lucky enough and had the right pedigree (primarily being transplanted to St George from the Las Vegas shop you could make $30 to $40 hr in production, though $15+ was more the norm for us locals). All the usual benefits were available after a year, a bit overpriced but nothing out of the ordinary. I believe the culture and work environment varied greatly from plant to plant. St George was for the most part, a pleasure to work at, and for the last 2 years we had an excellent production manager who really fine tuned our operation and we began to close jobs out significantly under cost. Saving the company far in excess of a million per year in production costs really made us all feel like rock stars.

Cons

The St. George plant was closed down and +90% of the workforce dismissed in April 2014 when the bank forced YESCO to cut more than six million dollars from their bottom line (contrary to the official story which suggested that they were simply shifting operations to a new location).

As mentioned above, pay was hit or miss. The St George branch was an experiment in setting up a low wage facility to see if it was viable. Those people who were transplanted to the St George plant from Las Vegas were commonly paid in the $30 to $40 range. Those who were hired locally for similar positions started at $12 and worked up from there.

The St George crew (the locals anyway) worked for a pittance, but we worked extremely hard and for the last 2 years of production we came in millions of dollars under budget. Our significant efforts were ultimately rewarded with a plant closure. The (highly political) decision was made to keep the Phoenix plant (which is widely known within YESCO to have never been profitable in it's existence). People throughout the entire company people were shocked by that decision.

Middle management has seemed to be much more occupied with patting each other on the back and gloating over how awesome they are than focusing on the tasks at hand (I'm looking at you Las Vegas) while I suspect corporate management have been so out of touch with the realities of where their operations are heading that they may not yet have seen what is becoming obvious to most of their employees and have absolutely no idea what looms on the horizon for the company.

Get your head out of the sand and start paying attention. When the bank recently issued a wake up call that the plane was overloaded and that you needed to jettison weight, your knee jerk reaction was to throw your most productive engine overboard. Based on decisions like that, it's a widely held opinion among your employees that the YESCO we all knew and loved is simply not going to make it.

Your poor decisions over the past 10 years have seen you close nearly as many manufacturing plants. You've now got 3 plants left and (according to your own admissions) the Salt Lake City plant is so upside down in it's extravagant new mega facility that it would need to operate 24/7/360 to even approach profitability. Phoenix has not been profitable in 10 years and Las Vegas has what...6 or 7 management staff for every production employee and an extremely costly, unionized workforce? How many millions did Las Vegas lose last year?

I'm afraid the answer (which you wont want to hear) is to get completely out of the sign manufacturing business and focus on Service and Install which "might" keep you afloat long enough to reorganize and try it all again. You've spent so long rolling in your piles of money that somewhere along the way you forgot how to be accountable for your decisions and how to manage your money responsibly and that lapse in judgement is going to cost you dearly. I genuinely wish you the best in your inevitable bankruptcy and hopeful reorganization. I really do hope you can find some way to survive the next 2 or 3 years.

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Logan, UT

I have been working at YESCO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only good thing about working here is that they have a generous vacation (PTO) program.

Cons

You won't advance unless you are a relative of someone in upper management. The atmosphere resembles a circus with everyone running around because they are trying so hard to reduce costs and only have enough employees to barely produce the amount of product. This often leads to them making mistakes that cost the company more money in rework, scrapped products, and the maintenance staff having to fix something that was broken as a result of the mishap. The benefits are a joke. You have to spend more than $200 every paycheck for medical benefits for your family. You could get cheaper and better benefits by going out on your own and getting them. The 401k has not been matched in 5 years, and when they did match it, they only matched 10%!

Revamp the entire management staff and get people in there that actually have experience in running a successful company.

Former Employee
    Phoenix Location
    Admin assistant
    Salary $15/hr
    How long with company: 4 years

I worked at YESCO

Pros

They gave me a job. If your in the family you have it made and don't have to work.

Cons

YESCO originally hired me to oversee payroll and other duties at the company, however, shortly after I started they cut positions and slashed salaries without notice.

They basically informed me that I was to be let go or take a cut in wages to work as an administrative assistant. My family was in a position where I really needed the income so I accepted.

I consistently dealt with unhappy customers, venders, and employees. In all honesty, I have never worked for a company as poorly ran as this company. I am not necessarily upset about the pay decrease (although that was really hard) but rather the overall environment at the company. First, management is never around--the Young family is always on vacation--but I could never ask time off. Second, our customers (none of them repeat) were so angry with the way we operated: we botched jobs, showed up late (or not at all) to repair signs, or the quality was so bad that customers refused to pay. It was hard trying to make so many people happy.

I eventually took a retail job because it was so unbearable. Especially because of the high employee turnover. I watched salesman quit after 3 weeks, some lasted several months, and that shouldn't happen in a company that prides themselves on "happy employees."

It was also incredibly difficult to know that the Young kids (although family) were heavily compensated (far more than folks who have been loyal to Yesco for 10+ years). In the four years I was there, employee bonuses were cut, 401k matches did not exist, Christmas bonuses were also not available, and no stock options - company is not publicly traded.

If you end up at this company....GOD HELP YOU

I would say they need to value their employees before it's to late. I have never seen so much confusion in a company and I have been with several companies it's poorly ran.

Just another pay check source.

Current Employee - Graphics Foreman in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Graphics Foreman in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at YESCO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They allow you to use facilities for person projects so long as it was discussed before happening. Some really nice people in and out all the time.

Cons

They have a very skewed perception of what makes an employee valuable and tend to make poor decisions when it comes to hiring and firing. Getting a promotion can be long or impossible to achieve, what is commonly referred to as an "act of congress."

They need to reduce top end waste, and stop giving people management jobs when they can hardly manage them selves. Tenure is placed far too highly on the list of items that makes a person valuable. Recognize more closely where the value in the operation is and focus more on the customers needs.

Very nice and very fun

I have been working at YESCO

Pros

A lot of family worked there and still does. Meeting the owner of the company and spending many different times with them

Cons

The changing of policies do to economy

Think more of employes and there needs

horrible 8 years ,I cant ever get those years back,waist of life

Former Employee - Maintenance in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Logan, UT

I worked at YESCO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

absolutely none, nothing ,nada , management is not telling owners the truth, owners buy it !!

Cons

everything they do and everything say

listen to the people who are actually doing the work ,and stop making bad decisions from the conference room

Old fashioned mormon, patriarchal culture

Current Employee - Administrator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at YESCO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Established company. No worries about it going out of business! There can be money to be made in Sales, if given the opportunity.

Cons

Do NOT expect to be paid well or widely respected if you are a woman...no matter what kind of job you perform.
    This is a very tight knit largely held together by family ties and good ol' boys.

Diversify your workforce in order to stay competitive with the changing world. Currently upper management all looks the same: Aging white men (very few exceptions). I agree with other posts: It's almost not worth paying for the health insurance.

Young Electric Sign Company Review

Former Employee - Assembler in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Assembler in Logan, UT

I worked at YESCO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

laid back, fun work, creative work, nice co-workers

Cons

minimal advancement opportunity, mandatory overtime sometimes

a little more involved