YESCO Reviews

2.9
Michael T. Young

1. Account Exec. - Good Potential - Low Salary

I worked at YESCO

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom of working from home, and enjoyed a car allowance. My cell phone was paid for as well. Quite the nice and professional group of people to work with in most cases. Learning the lighting business has been a highlight of my career, and I still drive around at night noticing areas of sales opportunities.

Cons

In the area where I was selling, it is congested with competition. The freedom to work from home also means that your email requests, and phone calls can easily be overlooked or ignored when trying to organize a job. The base salary is low, but the commission structure works out once you start to get busy. While the job is "Sales" focused, one tends to become a "Project Manager (cleaning up messes by the operations team)" and there is little time left to sell. They are very heavy on tracking numbers which often don't reflect day-to-day goals set for the Sales Team.

Advice to Management

Please get your managers out of the absurd amount of meeting they attend. Train them to be leaders who are back in the trenches making sales calls when your "Activities" are low. Also, I think a little back bone could be shown more when dealing with "bully" sales reps within the team. Please get the operation team in California buttoned down because they are your biggest liability right now. It's like they're shooting from the hip . . . "Ready, FIRE, Aim."

2. Friends and Family

I have been working at YESCO full-time

Pros

The owners and management were friendly. Everyone was willing to be a teacher and show you something if you don’t understand. There were plenty of people available to mentor younger or inexperienced staff.

Cons

There were a lot of layoffs during my time which is always scary. Culture was not a priority so there was often personality conflicts between peers.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees with trainings and work web/ seminars. Create a no gossip work place.

3. NIce People, Kind of a Mess

Former Employee - Artist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Artist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at YESCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Nice people • Creative work is fun • Fairly flexible • They build cool displays and signs • Staff at lower and mid levels are amazing at compensating for weak management team

Cons

• Local management is weak and disorganized • Sales management is unorganized • Salaries are fairly low and there have been few to no annual increases in years

Advice to Management

Tighten up management teams, figure out a way to pay your subcontractors in a reasonable time (6 months from invoice date is pathetic). Need to move into digital realm to take advantage of future opportunities.

5. 95 Years and still going strong!

Current Employee - Finance in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Finance in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at YESCO

Pros

Employee committed management, strong history and culture of multi-generation employees helped me feel good about making the transition form my prior employer to YESCO. Management is always willing to listen to my concerns and has accepted many of the ideas and suggestions I've proposed.

Cons

Reluctant to allow work from home situations.

May 28, 2015 – VP/Human Resources

Thanks for the positive comments about working at YESCO. We are grateful you enjoy working here and hope you find your career with us rewarding.

6. Great legacy and great future

I have been working at YESCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. A lasting legacy of over 95 years. 2. The owners (Young family) are the best people anyone could hope to work for. 3. Cool products and services. 4. Family oriented.

Cons

The Company suffered through the recession and had to make some very difficult changes. These challenges appear to be in the past and the future looks bright!

Advice to Management

Stay true to the YESCO mission.

May 28, 2015 – VP/Human Resources

7. Great company to work for.

I worked at YESCO

Pros

Always willing to provide education and training to all employees.

Cons

None that I ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Continue to deliver industry leading products to your customers.

8. A great experience, and good people.

Former Employee - Floor Worker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Floor Worker in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at YESCO

Pros

Great people, family owned, US jobs

Cons

Hard work on the floor, early and long hours.

The good looking company from the outside

Former Employee - Service/Installation in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Service/Installation in Portland, OR

I worked at YESCO

Pros

If you are in Utah this is a great company with good benifits fair compensation. Anywhere else you can enjoy driving a nice truck. This is a good place to learn about the industry. You will be put in situations that you are completely unfamiliar with no training. So you will learn very quickly. Will advance quickly well. Mostly because of the high turnaround rate. Yesco has a good foundation for integrity in their employee handbook. If you are willing to turn your back on legal issues and ignore what's best for the customer. Then you can go far.

Cons

YESCO has many satellite branches. Often management is put in position with little or no experience. The sales staff only sell but do little you follow through on the project until it is complete. This is very hard on the workforce. Most often they are left to fill the gaps and make do with what they have. You receive little or no support from upper management. In most situations you will be asked to spend your own money and then be compensated months later with a check. You will be asked to perform miracles, but given little to do it with. Yesco has very little concern for local laws for licencing. You will be asked to turn your back while out of town people come to work in your area. When things are slow you will go home early while low payed unlicenced workers from out of state will come in and do your work.

Advice to Management

Treat your satellite branches exactly how you would treat your corporate office. Respect local authorities and local workers. Your family members are not always the best person for the job. Salesman within a company should not be allowed to compete for the same jobs against each other. You are a company that is founded on family and ethical integrity. You need to see that at is followed through to the smallest parts of your company.

May 28, 2015 – VP/Human Resources

Thank you for your input. Working in remote locations can be challenging. YESCO is committed to our remote employees and they are a vital part of our overall success.

worked for YESCO for 10+ yrs.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at YESCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good environment, Family oriented, worked to live not live to work, hands off management style

Cons

terrible insurance benefits, paid every 2wks not bi monthly, little or no opportunity to advance, no reviews from management = no raises

11. Horrible expierences working for Yesco Logan, Utah

Former Employee - Production in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Production in Logan, UT

I worked at YESCO

Pros

Paycheck, PTO, Insurance, and that's about it.

Cons

Bad rumor mill, drama queens, called out and humiliated by Supervisors, bully mentality, set up and forced out via wright ups.

Advice to Management

Give Supervisors management courses at the University.

May 28, 2015 – VP/Human Resources

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience at YESCO. Our managers and supervisors work hard to see that employees have the opportunity to succeed. Understand that the Logan facility is not ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed