YJT Solutions

Linda Bracken Maclachlan

A Business Redefined - Agile and Growing - Team Focused - Lots of Opportunity

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

YJT places emphasis on teamwork and provides an environment where junior and senior team members work closely with each other. The quality of the technical delivery team is truly second to none. Exposure to a wide variety of technologies and computing environments allows analysts and engineers to rapidly develop a broad range of technical skills. Management places value on each individual team member with a focus on professional development and career advancement. Hard work and success are recognized and rewarded. The ambitious will find a great deal of opportunity as we are growing rapidly.

Personally, I have experienced more professional growth in one year at YJT than I did in the five preceding years elsewhere. I have found working here to be extremely rewarding and I take pride in being a contributing member of the service delivery team.

Cons

YJT is nearing the end of a core focus transition. Like any company amid a transformation there have been growing pains and lessons learned. There have been some internal identity issues and concerns during the transition. Existing team members required time to adjust to the change, trust the viability of the new model and realize management's commitment to the change.

Continue to provide an environment that promotes the team, values the individual and rewards success. As we continue to grow, do all you can to maintain the positive attitude and high standards.

Great company, great team culture, growing fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlike many companies I have worked with over the years there is a true sense of teamwork and camaraderie across all departments and seniority levels. The CEO has a clear vision and everyone in the company seems to be excited to be heading in this direction. Also the company just started a 401K matching program that I am very excited about.

Cons

The past couple years have been very crazy as we have been changing focus from primarily consulting to primarily managed services. This has resulted in some turnover and confusion among employees.

Continue to communicate with the team and and keep them in the loop.

Great people, poor company

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-The people there are among the best you will find anywhere.
    -Challenging work. You will learn a lot.
    -Full benefits compensation for the employee (only)

Cons

-Formal policies seem to be designed for children
    -Condescending leadership, which shouldn't be so in a 20-person company
    -No strategic focus. Even when a company strategy was defined, the functional policy was "do anything for a buck."

Your greatest strength is hiring good people. Trust them. Treat them like their work carries the company (which it does).

lacking direction

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

small office atmosphere, trying to become a bigger company. Great office location and amenities.

Cons

very high pressure, CEO has the attitude that if people are always worried about their job, they will perform at a higher level

you can't grow without letting go and letting your people grow

Most stressful place I have ever worked.

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time

Pros

There was a lot of career advancement because of the size and entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

The stress of consulting but mostly upper managements unrealistic expectations takes a toll. High employee turnover made the work environment stressful and hard to have a cohesive team. Work/Life balance was not something that was valued in this company. Management wanted to encourage an atmosphere where employees wanted to work late and the norm was to work 50+ hours. There was no loyalty to employees that worked at the company for a substantial period of time. Management also showed favoritism to select employees.

Work on employee relations. You have a lot of ex-YJT employees that left on bad terms and are working in the same industry you want to market.

YJT needs to retool and refocus

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great workers. Everyone is very motivated, and the various teams are very closely knit.

Cons

Management doesn't empower employees to succeed. There is much talk of "always having your back"; however, that rarely happens. Additionally, the pay structure is extremely skewed, and definitely does not fit the local Chicago market for a tech consulting firm.

Listen to your employees, and not just the "golden boys". Focus on one or two things, and do well at that.

Busy place right now -- lots happening

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions full-time

Pros

I’ve been at this company for awhile, and I’ve watched it go through a number of changes. Right now is our biggest change to date as we are building out the strategy to become a premiere IT Managed Services provider in Chicago based upon the reputation we already have with managing trading firms’ IT. The people I work with are great, and I like my job. I’m excited about having a very strong advisory board. They are smart guys and I respect them. We’ve let some people go, but I agree with management’s decision and understand it. This is a company that rewards people who have the mindset of actively growing the business every day, and if someone doesn’t have that mindset, it’s not a good fit. It’s not a place to coast. I like Fridays at 4 when we all can relax and have a beer together at the end of a week.

Cons

People may be expected to have a business head when they don't have training in that or interest in that. Right now it is both a pro and a con, but there is a lot happening and a lot is expected of us. I like it, but I know that not everyone likes that pace. As I think of it, the people who complained about the pace most aren't here anymore.

I give my opinion to management a lot, so they already know what I think. I think we are on a very good path right now, and that was not the case for the past couple of years. I'm glad to see the active changes happening.

Great place heading in a good direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at YJT Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people. Cannot stress that enough. The best people. Great benefits etc.

Cons

In transition and expanding and sometime it gets hectic- but if you work hard and keep up it is great!

I have learned so much about business and IT while at YJT.

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at YJT Solutions

Pros

The people are wonderful! Everyone works as a team and the culture is incredibly collaborative and close.

Cons

It is a small company, and a very rigid skillset is useful. They hire good people regardless of background or experience, but if IT is not your passion, you may quickly become frustrated that there is not another "department" that more directly aligns with your career goals to which you can transfer.

Management strives toward some very big goals that are not practically achievable, in my opinion (ex: money is spent in the pursuit of training that does not bring in returns).

I get out of it what I put into it.

I have been working at YJT Solutions

Pros

- People are great. The best I've ever worked with.
    - Company is going in a good direction.
    - Opportunities are there for me that I could not find elsewhere. I get to work in top trading firms and learn all kinds of different technologies. I have never been held back from something I really wanted to learn.
    - Management is very open with us. I don't think there is anything I can't ask. They have my back -- as long as I deliver.
    - You can get promoted really quickly if you do great work.
    - The office space is great with views of the lake from the NOC, although I'm not there very often to see it.

Cons

- There aren't formal training programs. You have to learn by fire.
    - If you don't produce quickly, you probably won't last long.
    - The work can be intense, so this isn't a good place for people who don't work well under pressure.
    - The company isn't that big yet, so there isn't a lot of help with internal things. The last company I worked for had a marketing department, for ex. Here, we don't have anything like that.

Hire more people. Keep the openness and entrepreneurial culture as we grow. Think about doing more formalized training programs so that people can learn without drinking from a firehose.