YM Inc.

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
1.9

Michael Gold

No balance between work and personal life

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at YM Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you love working in retail and with clothes. My co-workers are great people to work with. Bonus incentives monthly.

Cons

Absolutely no balance between personal life and work. No weekends off. Very demanding company as far as expectations of managers. Salary does not equate to the amount of the work load consistently put on management.

I suggest cutting down the required management hours (44) and the required "set schedule".

Toxic Workplace

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at YM Inc.

Pros

-Gaining experience on how to illegally open on statuary holidays

Cons

-Toxic Workplace
    -No chance to move up
    -The chairman himself is known to scold workers
    -Working 80+ hour weeks
    -Wages below poverty line even for management
    -Not paid for hours worked

-Greed will not get them far. The chairman needs to treat his team like how he will treat his own children. he can't treat his workforce in Canada the same way he treats the workers in his sweatshops in Bangladesh. Instead of spending million acquiring other companies, they need to slow down and invest that money in their people.

Would have been better if I stayed with my last employer... from experienced Head Office staff

Former Employee - Support Staff (Non-Merchandising) in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Support Staff (Non-Merchandising) in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at YM Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people were generally good people to work with. I liked the People at YM.
    This is a steady place if you do your effort/work - never encountered company restructuring while there
    I think I was paid fairly as I was somewhat established prior to joining the company (I was working and paid really well prior to applying to YM)
    People have the ability to move around to different departments, etc.
    I would not have been there as long as long as I did if the people were miserable to work with. Some people there have been there for most of their careers - there is a degree of comfort with these veterans (I fell into that trap) as they tend to be more older and want stability, there are smart, nice people working there who deserve better
    They supported many charitable events / organizations

Cons

If you don't like things at store level - it might not get better at head office...
    They generally paid on the low end of the spectrum - talking to HO staff and managers there...
    They seem to like to shuffle employees around a lot, I like to talk to people and usually you can tell it was not always their decision or career interest, they just don't want to say anything to rock the boat...
    Some companies I've been previously actually set aside time to help with establishing some sort of career goals / development and provide some guidance. This company does not even bother with that part. No annual review - not 1 review in the (too) many years I was there - there was praise of good work here and there but nothing formal. There was a surprise miniscule raise one year out of the many years there... It sort of makes sense why they don't want to do reviews... ($)
    I remember one veteran at the company had this interesting perspective when I questioned about the lack of annual review: "You're still here right? So you are not doing too badly...." I thought that was pretty funny but so true.
    You don't typically hear from the owner other than in the annual christmas / holiday email letter or they bought some bankrupt retailers/brands - oh and there is no christmas party... just three lunches on consecutive fridays near christmas
    I understand not all management level staff is friendly, but there is one in particular that likes to walk down hall looking left and right not looking for anyone in particular (as to make sure every one was working)... This was not a one time event but a regular occurrence each day - it was a shock for me to witness someone in upper management do that as I never recall that type of behaviour from some one at that level in any company I've been at...
    Often times the budget to hire new staff is ridiculously low you have to wonder how the heck you can get quality staff with that budget - but they do... See my points in Pros above on people.

Help or pretend to care about career development. Do something... I remember around second year there 2 HR staff members were doing training for managers on employee reviews, then these two staff all of sudden were no longer there... Never heard about that topic ever since that...
    You need to do annual reviews - I understand why you don't because it would be awkward not to reward with any increases when an employee is doing well...
    For the most part, staff at store level who are looking to progress further/up won't see that ever happening unless they are there forever (even then good luck) - YM will only be a stop over for some one new just to come in learn, gain some more (canadian) experience and head for greener pastures...

No Respect

I worked at YM Inc.

Pros

Good Bonus Structure on strict goals and decent wages but still below market standards.

Cons

No respect for senior and experienced employees as well as store management and part-timers, growth opportunities only given on personal preferences. wage increment is next to impossible. long hours and no balance to family life. No retirement benefits. No golden shake hand even after working for 30 years or so.

Need to give respect to employees. Treat and give opportunities on merit only. Have to have senior and experience employees benefit plan as well as retirement plan.

Terrible Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at YM Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- none that come to mind

Cons

- HR lies to you about giving you bonuses
    - management expects too much of you
    - pay is terrible
    - management constantly sets out unreasonable expectations
    - high turnover
    - only care about the bottom line

- take a more well-rounded approach to the business
    - listen to employees

Not a nice Company, but Nice people

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at YM Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good discount at numerous stores
    urban atmosphere which was fun

Cons

pay is next to nothing
    crazy goals
    higher management is awful
    treats employees and management with no respect
    will do anything to save a dollar like treating management like crap and finding loop holes into not paying out bounses earned

higher management needs to treat there store managers and sales associates better
    make pay rates comparable to other companies

Don't work in the stores longer than you have to. (Former Stitches employee)

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at YM Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Discount (20%)
    - Young staff, easy to make friends
    - Easy work

Cons

- Staff are friends which equals tons of work place drama. It's like high school
    - No raises
    - Not much room for growth
    - If you're not a top seller, you don't get as many hours. But whoever works cash dictates who gets the sales. If you're floating between the floor and cash, you can assign all the sales where staff didn't help to yourself.
    - No advanced notice about sales and promotional pricing. You got to work and everything had changed and you had to learn on the fly. It's hard to give customer service when you yourself don't know what's going on.

A little more employee rewarding. I get that the store positions are high turnover and as a business you won't invest a ton in every employee, but a little goes a long way.

Has its ups and down.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at YM Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. You can easily get time time if you want it. Management can be lenient with policies.

Cons

Environment can be negative sometimes because of complainers. Not much room to grow in a lot of positions.

Take time to get to know your employees.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at YM Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount was decent only during employee appreciation week.

Cons

Everything. Hours sucked, management sucked.

Be fair, schedule properly, DO WORK

Okay Company!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at YM Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- room for growth, if you can proved them you deserve the position

Cons

- long working hours, alot of overtime