YMCA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.5 1,265 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership(in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected(in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions(in 51 reviews)

1,265 Employee Reviews

"Never working at the YMCA again, completely unsafe "

YMCA Lifeguard (Current Employee) West Seattle, WA

Pros-general staff all around was nice
    -pretty flexible to work around school, home and other priorities
    -stable continuous hours
    -not bad pay for life guarding and swim instructing ($10.50-$12.50-ish)

ConsA lot of unmentioned labor work that was unsanitary such as; cleaning dirty/used towels and clothes of the deck and locker rooms, picking up used feminine products, used toilet paper, hair clumps from the drain, etc. Very lax on the rules, all rules! like one time a child contaminated the pool with sickly fecal mater, and none of the senior management made people exit the pool to super chlorinate (which is a health code violation) but they also made all the younger staff vacuum it up.

Their motto was " the member is always right" which is unsafe in the fact you are protecting people from drowning but you cant do it to the full potential because a member might not like the rule. They had staff that weren't actually certified correctly for the job,which is a total disregard for the safety of the staff and the members, it is kind of important to have qualified people watching to make sure no one drowns,

Completely unsafe

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people that are actually qualified to help a drowning victim

Met some really cool people but no future in this company.

Wellness Coach (Former Employee) Kansas City, KS

ProsFree membership
    Made new friends
    If you want a part time job no career advancement it's great

ConsNo room for advancement without a four year degree it doesn't matter how awesome or dedicated you are to your job. Directors only get fulltime and you have to have a four year to be a director. Lack of leadership and direction your kind of just thrown out to the wolves. No pay raises ever! Turnover rate is high they don't fight for their amazing employees. If you wanted to be managed and not have any guidance or future this job is perfect!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe leaders not managers

Christian Values Not Demonstrated

Aquatics (Current Employee) Burlington, KY

ProsThe work isn't difficult. They are very lenient with the times that you have to work. I could not show up to work for a week and still have my job next week. Good starting block as your first job.

ConsManagement is very poor. Our schedules were given to us the day before we had to work. They refused to pay me for hours that they scheduled me for. The YMCA messed up my biweekly paycheck multiple times. They scheduled many employees over 40 hours, but they didn't pay them overtime. They also restrict many positions to age.

Advice to Senior Management1. Some of your best employees are under 21. You had future Scientist, Teachers, Engineers, and Leaders. Let them to the Pool Deck Supervisor or assistant management roles.
    2. Pay your employees and be fair. Act out the Christian values the you preach. Many of your younger employees make minimum wage and are trying to pay their way through college or buy their first car.
    3. When you cheat people out of money, your employees are not going to work nearly as hard. Many of your employees are intrinsically motivated; you take that away when aren't fair.
    4. Swim Lessons isn't worth working. You either need to implement a longer shift or better pay. A one hour shift making minimum is not long enough.
    5. HR needs to take a more active role.
    6. Reward your employees. Many employees end up leaving, because they don't feel appreciated. A simple "thank you" or a $5 gift card goes a long way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SACC Aid

SACC Aid (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

Prosthe hours and people worked with

Conswas being harassed the upper staff did nothing managers will text u at odd hours

Advice to Senior Managementactually care about part time employees

no respect for employees

Ece (Current Employee) Brockville, ON (Canada)

Prosnone- it is a terrible place to work

Constreated terribly- no raises, unpaid overtime

Advice to Senior Managementget some skills, understanding needed of the requirements of the programs

it was good till i had to get some hip implants

Food Service (Former Employee) Granby, CO

Prosyou get to work and live with people from all over the world

Consthey dont seem to care if youre going thru stuff like surgeries, i had two hip implants and they refused to give me sit down work and didnt care i had to leave without an income and not being able to work or find another job

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to care more about whats happening to their employers instead of dumping them out the door just cause they had surgery, theres a disability act, they need to use it and shouldve given me sit down work instead of making it impossible for me to stay

Upper Management is the Devil

Senior Program Director (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe members and co-workers were great

ConsUpper management is out of touch and out of control

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk Christian Principles and then you treat your staff like dirt. Family/life balance is only for people who do not work for the YMCA. I have worked in other YMCA associations where the experience was wonderful, but the Central Florida association has a very well deserved horrible reputation. The "Fair 50" expectation of a minimum of 50 hour work week, management that does not practice what they preach, and never speak out about anything that is not 100% agreed by upper management or you will be run out the door. Only a "yes man" can survive at the Central Florida Y.

Senior Wellness Director

Senior Wellness Director (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsHelping the members, families, and children

ConsNegative workplace environment designed to use intimidation, fear, and abuse to "motivate" success of the organization. Constant turn over rate, working alongside unprofessional and unethical co-workers yet have no access to a proper HR team to help coordinate or control abusive and negative behaviors. Expect to be told to "sleep in your office" and zero work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and allow someone else with actual positive management skills to take over

Great place for a single recent grad, but once matured its definitely time to move on.

Health Director (Former Employee)

ProsSome places offer great flexibility.

ConsLow pay, unstable environment, poor management. No quality control over individual y's, CEOs run each y like a fiefdom, with their servants who they can treat however they wish. Benefits are nonexistent, pay is insanely low, even for a non-profit (except for the very top level). National y support is a joke, our CEO even basically fired our board meaning their is no one to report to, except for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile difficult, the national y need to assume control of the local y's and make sure they operate like a real corporation.

Great experience, terrible job.

Aquatics (Current Employee) Monroe, WA

ProsGreat way to get to know your community and provide a positive influence on good people.

ConsHorrible hours, pay and communications by middle management. Our facility and department had some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the country. Management keeps leading us on with promises of promotions and our 3% yearly raise eleven months of the year and then when the time comes they say its not in the budget. Five years of lies and dishonest tactics by middle and upper management have left a very sour taste in my mouth and concerns with upper leadership in this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and communicate. There is a huge divide and abuse of power. We see them sitting and chatting all day while we do the work and they reap the benefits.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!