YMCA

3.7
1,303 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  League City, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in League City, TX

Pros

Really care not only about their members, but also their employees. Everyone is on the same page, and is always helpful to one another. Great room to grow.

Cons

Pay is on the lower end.

Membership

Former Employee - Membership Coordinator  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Coordinator in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Learned valuable organizational and interaction skills through regular training sessions. Proud to be a part of fundraising programs to assist members who could not afford monthly or registration fees. I liked the fact that the YMCA works toward acceptance of all people regardless of age, creed, color or religion--it's mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all--very honorable.

Cons

Use of antiquated computer systems bogs down processes. Also, can be extremely busy at times when large numbers of members are coming in after work at one time--this requires extra assistance in many areas of the YMCA throughout the evening, sometimes resulting in frustration for members and employees having to address their situations.

Very good leadership--friendly and approachable directors. Wages are not up to par, and raises are slow in coming.

great company for part-time work

Former Employee - YMCA Lifeguard  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Lovely people, facilities are usually nice (many of them are currently updating), understanding and compassionate management

Cons

worked party-time for a year and received very little raise in pay, but I guess is expected for part-time work. Some people I know who work full-time at the Y say that it can be a frustrating place to try and earn a living.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Developing

Former Employee - Nutrition  in  Attleboro, MA
    Former Employee - Nutrition in Attleboro, MA

Pros

Great cool staff who love non profits

Cons

Depends on grant money so not best pay

Pool Supervisor

Former Employee - Pool Supervisor  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Pool Supervisor in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great organization, high reputation, consistent scheduling, and an opportunity to gain leadership experience.

Cons

Some micro managing. Hired some who didn't belong on the job.

Push part time employees to stay full time with organization.

YMCA in Knoxville, TN; childcare at Hardin Valley

Former Employee - Child Care Assistant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Child Care Assistant in Knoxville, TN

Pros

My boss was really great and supportive. She encouraged us to bring in our interests to share with the kids and was always open to new ideas. The parents were also supportive and we rarely had an issue with any of the parents. Got free membership to work out at any YMCA.

Cons

School day staff was not always supportive. We struggled to get cooperation to let us know what students needed to work on during homework time. We sometimes has conflicts over space use. Other YMCA childcare sites were not nearly so well run. Working these during the holidays was stressful. Part time work with no benefits.

Other sites should be as well run as Hardin Valley. Full time workers would be more dedicated to the job than part time.

Great

Pros

Everything is awesome here oppurtunites are good as well

Cons

Nothing, Everything is awesome here oppurtunites are good as well

awsome

Former Employee - Staff  in  Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Staff in Livonia, MI

Pros

40 hours a week. you get to do different activities with the kids. different things to do every day very fun job.

Cons

if you are the head over the older children it could be challenging because your watching over a group of teenagers.

n/a

Working at YMCA Camp

Pros

The staff I worked with was great! I felt like I was member of a team and a tradition. They also offered paid training and increased pay based on skills.

Cons

I worked long hours for a flat pay rate. But I didn't mind because it was my first job and the people I worked with made it fun.

Lifeguarding at the YMCA is a great job with great people.

Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Lifeguarding is a semi-stressful continuous training job. The training is a class that trains you in all the skills needed. You can work as much or as little as you want. There is the availability to become a head guard and be paid more.

Cons

Since there is a casual-ness to the job co-workers may not take things as seriously as needed or communication with management may not be up to par. Work availability changes some with seasons, as there are much more people hired at the beginning of each summer.

The YMCA is a great organization and I would recommend just doing what you're doing

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!