YMCA Reviews

Reset
3.6
YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • The value in working at the Y was the free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• If you like working with kids you'll be truly satisfied (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Resources Constrained as it is a non profit (in 81 reviews)

• Pay was not great but these were entry level part time positions (in 67 reviews)

2,138 Employee Reviews

YMCA is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Accounting in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Accounting in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The YMCA is immediately recognized and usually favorably. The management believes in taking care of its employees and allows freedom to handle family matters. It employs a chaplain and works closely with its volinteer board. I believe the YMCA is a help to the community in general and is helpful in areas that the community needs, such as health and childcare, sports and volinteerism.

Cons

Non-profits cannot have ownership compensation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep asking for feedback.

A Job that Makes a Difference

Current Employee - Afterschool Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Afterschool Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

You have the opportunity to engage the community around you. At the end of the day, it's not about how much you've made, it's about the lives you've influenced. There are many career opportunities within the YMCA. Most of the upper management began their journey through the YMCA ladder of success by first becoming an afterschool counselor or sports worker. Over the years they work they way up by becoming a Sports or Afterschool Coordinator. Then they are eligible to receive training through the association to earn a certification to become a Director. From there, the Director can become an Executive Director and that is the highest position within a particular Branch. There are more opportunities even outside of a particular branch.

Cons

It isn't a high paying job at the lower levels and it takes time and patience if your goal is to reach the higher level jobs within a YMCA branch. The benefits are weak as well, but you are able to receive them even as a part-time employee. Sometimes working with families at the YMCA, you learn about the people in the community. Working in the afterschool program, you may see children who have difficult living situations or who have suffered from abuse. The YMCA works very hard to see that each employee is trained to look for signs of abuse of any kind. It's tiring at the end of the day, but necessary.

Advice to Management

Senior Management makes working at the YMCA that much more appealing. When we're all playing for the same team, it's nearly impossible to fail.

3. Great place to began a career in social work.

Former Employee - Group Leader/Instructional Assistant in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Group Leader/Instructional Assistant in Anaheim, CA

I worked at YMCA

Pros

It depends on which aspect of the YMCA you work for. I was a part-time worker for the after-school program at the Anaheim YMCA. There is little training, it is more learn-as-you-go. We worked with kids as group leaders, aka instructional assistants, in the after-school program who were usually low-income students. Some of the kids are initially hard to deal with, especially if you don't have prior experience or you have a naive perspective, but this is because the kids are used to seeing a lot of adults and workers come and go. If you make it past the first month, then you will have no problem moving forward in this career. You will also become very attached to the children. And parents are very supportive. If you have a problem in dealing with a child, the parents will most likely be on your side. Coworkers and supervisors are also very helpful and understanding, especially to new employees. I would have worked there longer, but I had to move when I transferred to a university.

Cons

The only downside comes if you have no experience working with kids or if you have the idea that kids are innocent and nice. You have to remember that you are an authority figure and not the children's friend. That does not mean you have to be difficult. But when a child acts out, you have to consistently discipline them and be firm or else they will not take you seriously. I have seen a lot of workers leave because they weren't able to handle the stress of the environment. Some of these kids have other issues in their lives, so you the YMCA sets up regular orientation and training programs to help you deal with the children. The downsides aren't caused by the YMCA itself, but the nature of the work.

Advice to Management

Provide training for employees and shadowing opportunities before potential employees actually began work.

5. Its' fun to stay at the YMCA

Former Employee - "Anonymous" in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - "Anonymous" in Gainesville, FL

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Management support was great in helping me succeed at my job.

Cons

The salary was not at the level I expected. However, it is a non - profit organization in a small town so it is expected.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job even with a tough economy.

6. Good Times at the YMCA

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Fun, lively atmosphere. Lots of multi-tasking which made things interesting. Fairly easy work. TIme passes by quickly since there is so much work to do.

Cons

Mean, angry customers constantly complaining about petty things. Outdated computer systems. Cleaning and picking up towels in locker rooms. Smelly.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for front desk employees.. Workers put a lot of time and effort into maintaining high customer retention rates

7. Friendly Customer Focused Group

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in West Bend, WI
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in West Bend, WI

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

They are very dedicated to customer satisfaction and offer mandatory customer service training for all employees. They offer fun company meetings to help build teams & employee relationships.

Cons

The salary at YMCA is very low, but probably comparible to other non-profit groups. The opportunity for advancement is limited. In the past there was regular communication from the top facility manager to every employee, since the new manager took over there is much less.

Advice to Management

Follow the example of the previous facility director. Regular communication is important because most employees want to be informed, regardless of the level an employee is at.

8. An amazing place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Arapahoe, NC
    Current Employee - Camp Counselor in Arapahoe, NC

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Great opportunities for skill development, amazing co-workers, amazing scenery and a beautiful part of the country to work, good food, nice cabins to live in, influence the lives of young children, overall an experience that will change your life forever (party because it is such a challenge!)

Cons

extremely low wages make this a very hard decision to keep coming back, time off is very inflexible and limited, the job is more exhausting than you could imagine, camp leadership can be patronizing and communication is sometimes limited

Advice to Management

This is a wonderful place to work that does so much good in so many people's lives. Greater transparency in decisions from leadership would be beneficial in augmenting staff morale as well as greater flexibility from leadership about working shorter terms during the summer. Unhappy and exhausted staff does not serve campers well either!

9. YMCA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

It is a great place to work the people who work here are great and very supportive and help with questions

Cons

Some of the members are rude and inconsiderate, they do not understand the nature of our work and expect us to do things way beyond our title

Advice to Management

The management is very good and very supportive of employees. They answer questions directly and quickly, if they are unsure they direct to someone who can answer.

10. Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Fitness Instructor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

I had to greatest time at this location. I got to help really awesome people, and I also go to use the awesome facilities.

Cons

Low pay, benefits. But what can you expect, I'm a fitness instructor. Maybe I should go to college and find a real job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thang. I love this place, the people, the overall awesomeness. Did I mention that this place is awesome?

11. Great opertunity

Former Employee - Wellness Coach in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach in New Albany, IN

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Worked with great people, family centered institution. Great if you enjoy working with others and helping others.

Cons

pay was low, had schedualing trouble.

Advice to Management

Leadership was good.

Showing 2,138 of 2,228 reviews