YMCA

3.6
1,605 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 81 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Leave as soon as you can!

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much to say here. You'll get a free membership but never want to workout here because the culture is that if you are here then you are on the clock.

Cons

-Congrats on the new job, you are now a second class citizen in the eyes of upper management.
    -Long Hours - Seriously, they do not care about you.
    -Expected to donate and fund raise. -Yeah your tiny check gets smaller
    -Under paid and over worked
    -Last minute requests are the only way they operate. -Oh sure, you're off in a half hour but I just have this one little 10hr project I need you to do. Oh and I'm staying too so it's ok that I do this to you daily.
    -No raises or bonuses. Instead you have three giant loops to jump through every year for a 3% cost of living adjustment (COLA). There is an internal audit (that changes yearly, as management isn't even sure what they should even be looking for), a fundraising goal for each branch (that is an insane amount, increases every year, and takes 6 months to fulfill with 4 phases), and of course a performance review (they only thing that should be part of the equation).
    -Lack of support. -No matter what happens, the member is always right. This is a great place to work if you enjoy being belittled and dismissed.
    -High turnover. - All the productive and smart ones leave! Four out of seven of my counterparts left for other employment in less than one year.
    -No holidays. -Ok, you get two holidays (Christmas and Easter) the Y is open all other days. Yes, you have to work them. No, you do not get holiday pay.

Members are members, that is expected. However, the culture of showing compete disregard for your staff is so intrenched that it is expected. The message is clear, staff do not matter. Their work/life balance does not matter. This is absolutely absurd and shocking. Businesses do not survive this way. Put your employees first and they with put your customers first. Put your customers in front of your employees and you will get stunted growth, frustrated employees, and HIGH turnover. -Which IS what you have.

Bottom line, this is a terrible place to work.

I like the people I work with. However, minimum wage is not enough.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistance in East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistance in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at YMCA part-time

Pros

Majority of coworkers are friendly and kind. The hours are flexible.

Cons

Terrible pay for the amount of work.

Life with poor managment

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The children were wonderful and program has potential.

Cons

Boss was never there to supervise and when she was in she did a poor job.
    Many staff members' action would be considered emotionally and physically abusive towards the children.

Make sure your supervisors are doing there job

Wellness Director

Former Employee - Wellness Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Wellness Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

somewhat flexible schedule, alot of great part-time staff

Cons

branch managers and directors are incompetent, ill equipped for management positions. Many managers were promoted to their positions because of their "brown nose" abilities, and not due to their qualifications or fit for the position.

Work-life balance was non-existent at this association. If you intend to keep good, long-term staff, there needs to be more of a balance, and not simply a "we expect you to work at least 60 hours every week" mentality.
    Managers and Directors should be role models and mentors. They should not be passive aggressive, unqualified morons with self esteem issues whose only goal is to control everything in their surroundings.
    I have been a career YMCA employee. But, because of the awful experience I had at this particular association, I will most likely never work fr a YMCA again.

The worst YMCA I have ever been

Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, ME

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. I always try to look on the bright side of things but there literally are no bright spots

Cons

The major challenge of working here is that the management is at direct odds with the mission of the organization. Also low pay, low morale and the most outdated and antiquated facility imaginable. That coupled with the questionable activities that go on in the locker rooms makes this a terrible place to bring kids or anyone else

Fir the CEO or whoever is in charge because that place is aweful

Great for kids in college & high school.

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Free membership & you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Cons

The pay is horrible for the job. They are very unorganized.

They may keep employees if they paid them.

Stateline Family YMCA

Current Employee - Director of Sports & Recreation in Beloit, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Sports & Recreation in Beloit, WI

I have been working at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The directors of each department care about the community the serve as well as their peers.

Cons

Poor customer service by front line staff. Out dated facilities. CEO was in over his head.

Provide proper training for full time staff. Do not hand over the keys to a 9 million dollar sports complex and say "go." It was an impossible job to fill. Not only overseeing the facility, but being responsible for programming, marketing, volunteer retention, staff recruitment/training/supervision and other administrative duties on a limited budget.

Complete lack of leadership and direction.

Former Employee - Professional Staff in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Professional Staff in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The members that I met, the connections that I made, vacation from day one, retirement account.

Cons

70+ hours per week as salaried employee are expected, no work/life balance, professional staff will throw team under the bus to make themselves look better. Contributions to the fundraising efforts are EXPECTED, meaning expect to donate not only time but monetary donations as well. Your work is never considered enough (always more expected, more hours expected)

There is no direction to the leadership of the Greater Pittsburgh YMCA team. There is no support from supervisors when issues arise and your work schedules are unrealistic for the long term. If you want a good team for a long period of time, value your employees, provide opportunities for growth, allow them to keep their hours to around 40 to prevent burn out.

No work-life balance

Former Employee - Executive Director in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Fresno, CA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The members and kids, the Mission.

Cons

Management, burnt out volunteers, community that doesn't value the Y.

Uphold the mission.

The worst work experience of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Townsend, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Townsend, WA

I worked at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The children and families the Y serves were wonderful.

Cons

Toxic work environment with weak leadership. The YMCA mission statement does not apply to employees