YMCA Reviews

Reset
3.6
YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • The value in working at the Y was the free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• If you like working with kids you'll be truly satisfied (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Resources Constrained as it is a non profit (in 81 reviews)

• Pay was not great but these were entry level part time positions (in 67 reviews)

2,068 Employee Reviews

If you want job security turn around and don't look back.

Former Employee - After School Counselor in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - After School Counselor in Long Island City, NY

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Staff
    Great Program/Curriculum
    Many Growth Opportunities

Cons

Management will terminate without notice regardless of skillset and loyalty.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people because you need to make some changes. Use what you have and help them grow.

2. Unprofessional Work Enviornment

Former Employee - Counselor in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Round Rock, TX

I worked at YMCA

Pros

If you need a part time job, this is for you. If you are unprofessional and young, and love to be immature at work, this is for you!
    The HR Staff are nice! They seem like they would help you.
    At least they TRY to instill their 5 core values.

Cons

I never knew when trainings were, because the coordinator over me never knew, and if he did mention it, it was the day of. I have another job, so this made it impossible to schedule things appropriately, professionally.

I would've called in sick the correct way, but no one will ever answer the phones! I called the front office, and specifically asked for my supervisor. "Oh yes, she is in her office, let me transfer you". She never answered the multiple calls, or voice mails I left her. So, I came into work, because I did not know if she ever got to my voice mails and did her damn job!

I am supposed to get curriculum every month, never got it for April or May. What is their job if not to plan the program...or even answer a phone call from their employees?!

My coordinator stopped caring, they don't set out all the tables anymore, and at throughout the day and the end, who is cleaning? That is right, me. I am doing everything. Talk about lazy.

The Program Coordinators are completely unprofessional, their egos are huge! I am a veteran, I know about common courtesies, you say good afternoon, or how are you today, they ignore you. If you teach these young men and women to be rude, lazy, and unprofessional, your company will always have rude, lazy, and unprofessional individuals working for it.
    That does not seem like a place I would EVER take my children. And, they can be sure I will always express my opinion about this company to anyone who asks.

Advice to Management

Be professional, do not over look your PC's and Coordinators doing a terrible job or being out right rude to their counselors.

Actually make your PC's show you their curriculum, and training schedules 2 weeks prior to the following month, because getting this info late ensures that we will NEVER be prepared and it makes you look unprofessional and lazy.

Try using some kind of online calendar to show upcoming trainings, weeks, or even a month in advance. The employees with children, school, or even other jobs would greatly benefit from having the opportunity to schedule their lives.

Be kind to your employees, never make them feel unwanted/unimportant.

Require your PC's and Coordinators to actually answer phone calls from their counselors. Better communication is they key to having a successful operation.

3. Poor lifeguard treatment

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Boise, ID

I have been working at YMCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very laid back enviroment. Coworkers are very nice. It is fairly easy to adjust your hours or get time off. The pay is better than minimum wage ($8/hr).

Cons

It is a very uncomfortable enviroment. Hot, humid, and burns your nose and eyes. A lot of janitorial work is required. No real breaks. You get 20 minutes off stand to give kids swim tests and test pool chemicals but no chance to eat or go to the bathroom. The "break room" is the chemical closet which youre not even allowed to eat in anyway. Training is very expensive ($200) with no compensation at all. 90% of employees come to work high.

Advice to Management

Give us more REAL breaks and a break room. Get the working enviroment more comfortable. Increased salary would be nice. Drug tests should be more often, I don't care how understaffed you are!

5. Needs Improvement

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Marketing in Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Marketing in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at YMCA (More than a year)

Pros

- Free membership and private locker (this is added to your benefits package to make it appear as though they are paying you more).

Cons

Micromanaging cripples this company from succeeding more than anything else.

Poor Pay: many employees were on food stamps or had to have a secondary income, even if they were full-time.

Unpaid overtime: It's illegal, but since PA is an at-will state, they'll fire you if you say no.

Endless Meetings: The conference room is being used nearly a full 40 hours a week. Since upper management doesn't have 1-on-1s with subordinates, most meetings drag on for 1-2 hours. Weekly staff meetings are literally the CEO or VP going around the table and having 1-on-1s with employees in front of the rest of the staff.

Advice to Management

Replace current CEO, consolidate marketing efforts across local YMCAs (Hagerstown-Waynesboro-Chambersburg), make salaries public, reduce upper management salaries to increase everyone else's, stop requiring unpaid overtime,

6. underappreciated

Former Employee - Building Supervisor in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Building Supervisor in Niles, IL

I worked at YMCA

Pros

None, okay Co workers, upper management come and go

Cons

not worth your time.over work you. No benefits , horrible pay

Advice to Management

Treat employees better. Customers are way too demanding. Need to back up your employees sometimes.

7. A black hole

Former Employee - Program Director in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Tacoma, WA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It has somewhat meaningful work but is easily torn down by the good old boys system and political garbage. If you don't get caught up in that mess and focus on the work, it'll help you sleep easier at night.

Cons

It has zero advancement opportunities and in less you are a executive director or CEO the pay is absolutely terrible and is only sufficient for a teenager to live off of. There is no way that a family man or woman could raise it or support a family

Advice to Management

Increase employee pay and offer better benefits that doesn't take 30 to 40% of employees wages for just in case insurance. If a major disaster were to happen and employee would be in a ruins because of the poor pay and expensive cost

8. We were spied on every minute everyday

Former Employee - Fitness Staff in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Fitness Staff in Marshall, MN

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was "descent" and My co-workers in my department were very nice and helpful. Work days went very very very quickly.

Cons

Every move was watched by front desk People. building supervisors sat in the office and avoided everyone for the entire shift.

Advice to Management

Do your job not watching the cameras

9. over worked under paid

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at YMCA

Pros

All employees receive a family Gym membership.

Cons

Program is poorly ran by people without a clue as to what is required to run a quality educational program.

10. Great for temporary, but steer clear otherwise

Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Nashville, TN

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some coworkers friendship, flexible schedule.

Cons

First and foremost,avoid this place if you're looking to make any real money. There are no benefits, vacation/personal days, hours limit max of 25 hours, work life balance(5 hour max shifts, mean you must work 6 if not 7 days a week) Then, because management fails to effectively screen out people you often get called/solicited on your only day off(people don't show and mgmt refuses to fire them). To "lure" you to come in, they'll give you critical pay of $5(total for a shift).

Advice to Management

You need to compensate people to get them to work hard, we do not do this for our health. Effectively screen out people, if someone discloses an illness or personal issue , either don't hire them or limit how much you work them.

11. Part time

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Free membership, clean facility, nice lobby

Cons

Bad management, bad pay, bad supervision, not supportive

Advice to Management

Fire leader

Showing 2,068 of 2,145 reviews