YMCA Reviews

3.6
1,873 Reviews
YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 81 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 67 reviews)

1. Part time

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Free membership, clean facility, nice lobby

Cons

Bad management, bad pay, bad supervision, not supportive

Advice to Management

Fire leader

2. Run away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Free membership
    Fun coworkers
    Not busy work
    Being around kids
    Big on team spirit
    Lots of work hours.... But will be asked to carry any overtime over to the next week so they don't have to pay you overtime.

Cons

Force you to volunteer for YMCA related things outside of work, forced to donate, terrible management.

Advice to Management

Learn some management skills , and get some people in director levels with more than just a bachelors degree.

3. Not what I expected.

Former Employee - RECE in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - RECE in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Decent hourly pay, YMCA membership, children

Cons

Shift work, personal growth, training (lack of), no part-time benefits.

5. CEO and VP Drunk fest.

Former Employee - Director in De Land, FL
    Former Employee - Director in De Land, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

YMCA organization can lead to many opportunities outside of this particular association.

Cons

Leadership is questionable at best. CEO and VP's currently in leadership have questionable practices regarding the safety of the children that attend the YMCA. Leadership has very different values then the actually values of the YMCA as a company. What they practice is not what they preach.

6. YMCA

I worked at YMCA

Pros

People / members were pleasant to be around

Cons

Pretty much everything, poor scheduling, poor pay, definitely not a place for a career

Advice to Management

Make this more career focussed

7. Not invested in their employees.

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the child care division, the pros are that you get to work with kids. Unfortunately I'll put that in the cons territory as well.

Cons

Working with kids who try to drive you insane. Also management doesn't exactly listen or stand up for you. They cut our hours with no expectation of getting them back. Just know that going in, you're going to get screwed over repeatedly. I've worked there for six years now, and they've shown me no loyalty. Why should I show loyalty to them?

Advice to Management

Don't screw over your employees. I realize you're doing everything you can to drive people away so you don't let them go so they can't get unemployment, but really? This is a bit much.

8. Aquatic supervisor

Former Employee - Aquatics Coordinator in Hanover, MA
    Former Employee - Aquatics Coordinator in Hanover, MA

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I first started working for the Y it was a great place to work. The pay was good, the coworkers and members were awesome and the management cared.

Cons

They don't value their employees at all and they don't value loyalty for their long time employees. Management was allowed to lie about employees and didn't care about anything but their own job.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for loyalty from staff and treat staff like they matter. Upper management needs to stop spending so much time in their offices and more time in other departments.

9. Great

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Love it soooooooooo much. Great place to work

Cons

Love it. Awesome place to work and gave fun and join and be awesom rb

Advice to Management

Keep it up

10. A company without a moral compass

Former Employee - YMCA Program Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - YMCA Program Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Salary (depending on your position)

Cons

This is one of the most negative and backwards work environments I have ever worked. Their motto is : bring the C (Christ) back in the YMCA. Yet, the organization does not do anything unless it directly makes them look positive. The corporation is filled with people that will pray for you one minute and spit in your face the next. The main office feels like a morgue because the entire building is afraid of the CEO not thinking they are working. Where do I start? Bullying is a big issue at the Y of Central Florida. There is also a lack of respect for subordinate staff/no loyalty from management. I worked for their middle school programs and my boss sent one of my staff members who worked for the company 20 years and was going through chemotherapy completely out of her way to a new work site as an attempt to get her to quit. The staff member was also unable to drive. My same boss threatened to fire the whole staff at one of our middle school locations in Gotha, FL because they complained about a health issue at the school where the after school program was located after the principal placed the program in a filthy janitor's closet at the school. The Y didn't care because they wanted to remain in a close relationship with orange county public schools. There is also unfortunately subtle racism/homophobia that is allowed. My same boss was known to say not to hire black people, especially men because they don't have the right look. I was also accused of not dressing "professional" enough which was the first time I ever have been accused of that. It wouldn't have been terrible if I didn't have white counterparts dress the same way. Horrible corporation that is willing to self destruct if they do not like someone.

Advice to Management

Get out of the position where your job affects the lives of others. There are plenty of other professions that what you do doesn't directly affect someone else's well being.

11. Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Clemmons, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Clemmons, NC

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Clients and co workers nice people

Cons

Unfair pay rate, no communication, slack employees
    The YMCA charges $45 per hour for a personal trainer. The personal trainer only takes home $20 of that money for doing all the work. Yes we use the facility but really do trainers use $25 worth in an hour??? It is not a fair pay rate. Most trainers do not stay.. neither did I, because we can't make any money. Good trainers plan their clients workout and keep things fresh. It takes a lot of prep time that we do not get additional pay for. Most trainers won't get out of bed early or stay late for $20. Management knows this is an issue and still keeps the cut. We realize the Y is non profit but trainers are not no profit. We have to earn a living.

Advice to Management

Pay more to employees. You are loosing good people. Pay attention to what your employees are telling you. If they are telling you the pay rate is off, believe them and do something about it or prepare to have no trainers when the clients need them.