YMCA

3.7
1,303 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Wanted to make a difference...found out this is not the place.

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

Pros

Did not have exact time I had to be there in the morning unless I had something scheduled.

Cons

EXTREMELY low pay for EXTREMELY long hours.

COnsider paying program directors a salary they can live on, especially when all the Executive Directors are getting well over six figures.

Fun for a while

Former Employee - Sports Assistant  in  Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Sports Assistant in Fullerton, CA

Pros

the subscribers are fun to work with and you get a gym membership for free

Cons

There was no way to go up in the company, not with that branch manager. Only 3 employers were left from the time that she took over.

work as a team and not as a dictatorship

Upper management has own agenda, wastes time, puts on a front for guests, and treats employees horribly.

Former Employee - Head Lifeguard  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Head Lifeguard in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Job atmosphere was great, loved being outside, loved the people I worked with. Able to pursue other jobs within the YMCA such as private swim lessons.

Cons

Upper management is fraudulent and dishonest. Cut private lesson pay from $12/hour to minimum wage. The pool I worked at had over 500 guests each day and management decided to cut the staff from 12 guards to 8, leaving people in the hot blistering sun for over an hour at a time without breaks. This seems like it is unsafe for the lifeguards as well as the patrons they are supposed to be responsible for.

Reward your employees, especially the ones whom stick around. I was there for over 4 years, and never once received a thank you or a good job, even though there were weeks where I worked over 65 hours sitting in the sun. This is why there is such a high turnover rate in terms of lifeguards.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

YMCA use and abuse

Former Employee - Operations Director  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Director in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Family environment that was welcoming to its members. Made many life long friends. Learned how not to run a company and how to treat employees.

Cons

Employees were underpaid, over worked, not respected and overall poorly treated. The organization also turned a deaf ear to the abuse of children that they were supposed to be protecting

Hire better executives who have a clue about how to treat employees.

Too Bad for the Stop motion devision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Interesting projects
    That is the only thing I can think of ...

Cons

Toxic mental health environment.
    unorganized and wasteful
    Production is inefficient and has lack of experience to do the job
    Frat house of stop motion animation
    mismanagement

It might work better if they let go of some of the managements.

The C needs to stand for Cash

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Frederick, MD

Pros

none....free membership (not costing them a dime!)

Cons

everything is about the dollar....They could care less about child development. Their non profit status is a joke...The profit goes in the managements pocket. If you question or expose their dirty little deeds your job will be eliminated and they will stalk you on social media for find any way to dispose of you. I have worked with their child care teachers and each and everyone did nothing but sit at a table engaged with themselves. Twenty three years of experience in child development and the first time I get fired for questioning their motives. I am an advocate for children not the Y's pocketbook. I will continue to stand for what is right...they won't stop me!

Put people before the mighty dollar that you only share among yourself

Great Summer Job, but not long term

Current Employee - Lifeguard  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL

Pros

At the YMCA you are presented with a very kind community of co-workers, and they also strive to work with your schedule (at least where I was)

Cons

The primary issue with working for the YMCA where I worked is that in 10 years time, you'll be making exactly what you started with. Management refuses to make any employees full time under any circumstances and abuses the system to prevent employees from getting raises, this isn't hype from a pissed employee, management has told us that they cant give raises. The facility's are also lacking, every now and then I'll find the pool with little or even sometimes no chlorine in it, and lifeguards don't even have access to a first aid kit on the pool deck. With recent laws part time employees at the YMCA are also capped at 25 hours per week so that they don't have to offer you a full time position. All this is chalked up lack of funds, which I (speculating) highly doubt after working here for more than a year. Also If your looking to be a lifeguard, be aware that they tend to have a single lifeguard on the stand most of the year at an outdoor pool in Florida. about 2 months out of the year you have 2 lifeguards on duty, the rest of the time, your often sitting on the stand for 4 hours in 90+ degree weather with no breaks, be aware of this.

My advice to management would be to treat your employees better financially. The YMCA does a great job at working with schedules, and the workforce is friendly, but as a co-worker once told me: "if you don't feed your employees, they'll eat your customers". If the YMCA straitened out their finances they'd be a fantastic place to work in my opinion!

Terrible place to work

Pros

It is a fun job because you get to play sports with kids.

Cons

Low pay, Treated employees like dirt, lack of professionalism--multiple times the person they hired to be my boss said the F word very loudly around the kids--and this is supposed to be a christian organization?!

Treat people kindly and follow your YMCA morals that you have posted all over the wall. People are treated terribly by management and the management doesn't care at all as long as "they look good" and "make as much profit as possible"

If you want to be overworked and underpaid this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Business Office  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Office in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent Training Sessions
    Excellent staff outings

Cons

Long Hours
    Alot of work
    Management doesnt listen

You should listen to the bottom level employees.

Middle TN organization a tad hokey.

Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

Free gym membership. Some employees actually had a functioning mind and did work.

Cons

Very low pay. Glosses over threats. Doesn't protect it's employees. Majority of exempt employees show up at 9 AM and break from 11-1 for lunch. Raises given out based on personal bias.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!