YMCA Reviews

1897 reviews filtered by

1. Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Clemmons, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Clemmons, NC

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clients and co workers nice people

Cons

Unfair pay rate, no communication, slack employees
    The YMCA charges $45 per hour for a personal trainer. The personal trainer only takes home $20 of that money for doing all the work. Yes we use the facility but really do trainers use $25 worth in an hour??? It is not a fair pay rate. Most trainers do not stay.. neither did I, because we can't make any money. Good trainers plan their clients workout and keep things fresh. It takes a lot of prep time that we do not get additional pay for. Most trainers won't get out of bed early or stay late for $20. Management knows this is an issue and still keeps the cut. We realize the Y is non profit but trainers are not no profit. We have to earn a living.

Advice to Management

Pay more to employees. You are loosing good people. Pay attention to what your employees are telling you. If they are telling you the pay rate is off, believe them and do something about it or prepare to have no trainers when the clients need them.

2. Its work

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping in the community ... the ones they choose to help

Cons

Every man for themselves, low ball employees and use them

Advice to Management

get your act together

3. Management was extremely unprofessional, no respect, or room for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours (evening and weekend), which was nice when you are also working full time. Gym membership is a plus, but if you work 20-30 hours a week, the last thing you want to do is go to the gym on days off, so it was never used. Supportive colleagues.

Cons

Extremely low pay and it doesn't matter your previous work experience or education, they will still pay you the lowest amount possible with no raise in sight. Uniforms are provided but it takes several months to get more than one shirt. Management was extremely unprofessional and awful communication with both staff and members. No respect for employees and an overall negative environment. Make sure any position changes or conversations had with management is put in writing. I saw more people leave in one year than any other job I've had.

Advice to Management

Effective and supportive management. Treat your employees with respect and professionalism. It will increase the moral within your staff and less turnover.

5. No value

Current Employee - Former Employee in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Former Employee in Hanover, PA

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

There was one pro, the Membership discount

Cons

Hanover YMCA does not value their employees in the least bit since the new CEO has taken over a few years ago.

Advice to Management

New CEO

6. Not truely about the health and wellness of the community

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Coworkers and site director are understanding ( depending on location)

Cons

Never recieve supplies
    No communication between corporate and sites
    No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees

Leave as soon as you can!

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much to say here. You'll get a free membership but never want to workout here because the culture is that if you are here then you are on the clock.

Cons

-Congrats on the new job, you are now a second class citizen in the eyes of upper management.
    -Long Hours - Seriously, they do not care about you.
    -Expected to donate and fund raise. -Yeah your tiny check gets smaller
    -Under paid and over worked
    -Last minute requests are the only way they operate. -Oh sure, you're off in a half hour but I just have this one little 10hr project I need you to do. Oh and I'm staying too so it's ok that I do this to you daily.
    -No raises or bonuses. Instead you have three giant loops to jump through every year for a 3% cost of living adjustment (COLA). There is an internal audit (that changes yearly, as management isn't even sure what they should even be looking for), a fundraising goal for each branch (that is an insane amount, increases every year, and takes 6 months to fulfill with 4 phases), and of course a performance review (they only thing that should be part of the equation).
    -Lack of support. -No matter what happens, the member is always right. This is a great place to work if you enjoy being belittled and dismissed.
    -High turnover. - All the productive and smart ones leave! Four out of seven of my counterparts left for other employment in less than one year.
    -No holidays. -Ok, you get two holidays (Christmas and Easter) the Y is open all other days. Yes, you have to work them. No, you do not get holiday pay.

Advice to Management

Members are members, that is expected. However, the culture of showing compete disregard for your staff is so intrenched that it is expected. The message is clear, staff do not matter. Their work/life balance does not matter. This is absolutely absurd and shocking. Businesses do not survive this way. Put your employees first and they with put your customers first. Put your customers in front of your employees and you will get stunted growth, frustrated employees, and HIGH turnover. -Which IS what you have.

Bottom line, this is a terrible place to work.

8. I like the people I work with. However, minimum wage is not enough.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistance in East Windsor, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistance in East Windsor, NJ

I have been working at YMCA part-time

Pros

Majority of coworkers are friendly and kind. The hours are flexible.

Cons

Terrible pay for the amount of work.

9. Life with poor managment

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children were wonderful and program has potential.

Cons

Boss was never there to supervise and when she was in she did a poor job.
    Many staff members' action would be considered emotionally and physically abusive towards the children.

Advice to Management

Make sure your supervisors are doing there job

Wellness Director

Former Employee - Wellness Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Wellness Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

somewhat flexible schedule, alot of great part-time staff

Cons

branch managers and directors are incompetent, ill equipped for management positions. Many managers were promoted to their positions because of their "brown nose" abilities, and not due to their qualifications or fit for the position.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance was non-existent at this association. If you intend to keep good, long-term staff, there needs to be more of a balance, and not simply a "we expect you to work at least 60 hours every week" mentality.
    Managers and Directors should be role models and mentors. They should not be passive aggressive, unqualified morons with self esteem issues whose only goal is to control everything in their surroundings.
    I have been a career YMCA employee. But, because of the awful experience I had at this particular association, I will most likely never work fr a YMCA again.

11. The worst YMCA I have ever been

Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Portland, ME

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. I always try to look on the bright side of things but there literally are no bright spots

Cons

The major challenge of working here is that the management is at direct odds with the mission of the organization. Also low pay, low morale and the most outdated and antiquated facility imaginable. That coupled with the questionable activities that go on in the locker rooms makes this a terrible place to bring kids or anyone else

Advice to Management

Fir the CEO or whoever is in charge because that place is aweful