YMCA

3.6
1,606 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 81 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Differs from place to place

Former Employee - Center Director in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Center Director in Spokane, WA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and great people who want to help others. Sometimes make a difference but often just a health club disguised a charity.

Cons

Low comparative pay for program staff. Constant pressure to fund raise. Membership staff are not "helping" people they are just finding the rate people can pay for an overpriced health club.

Work-Life balance sucks. Charge a realistic price for a membership that everyone can afford and stop having the wealthy subsidize the not wealthy.

Personal Trainer- Kansas

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor in Wichita, KS

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal Training was great! I've been a personal trainer for 6 years (only 1 of those at the YMCA) and it's not hard to get clients if you work hard. I've noticed clients are willing to work with you if you are good at selling yourself and they see you are confident and sympathetic towards their situations.

Cons

Pay is not great. They expect you to "volunteer" your time and help with fundraisers beyond your normal work hours. They keep track of how much time you put into this and threaten to write you up if you don't participate. I signed up for a job, not community service. I found a lot of the staff to be young and inexperienced. Fitness directors tend to be lazy and careless of your problems! Monthly meetings are scheduled on weekends and are pointless! They take an hour and you learn absolutely nothing! I was very unhappy as an employee at the YMCA and absolutely refuse to become a member. The cleaning solutions they buy are a joke! They don't disinfect anything! Even the employees in the KIDZONE hated bringing their children because they were constantly getting sick from the lack of disinfectant in the solutions. Even college students without their degrees are allowed to be a personal trainer (same pay rate as trainers with degrees). I definitely would NOT recommend a family person apply for a fitness position at the YMCA, because they don't care if you have a family or not. They want you to bend backward and give all your time (not all paid) for the organization.

Get over yourselves and take the "C" out of the YMCA. This organization does not deserve it!!!

The most unorganized mess of crooked management

Former Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor in Houston, TX

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got a decent pay rate even though others talked about their pay rate and newbies made the same as me and were already promoted to lead guard within 2 weeks of working. (3 years, lifeguard/swim instructor)

Cons

Aquatics director knew NOTHING about aquatics. She was unprofessional, rude, unfair to employee's, made up rules that were against the handbook and left it to the employees to fix her problems.

NEEDS NEW MANAGEMENT.

20 years of employment and six of them with no raises due to topped our limit !

Current Employee - Counsellor in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Counsellor in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers and members are the best ! I have the opportunity to encourage children to be better citizens of our community and the world.

Cons

Pay is dismal and Management changes every 6 months, the good ones leave for greener pastures.

Treat your loyal employees with respect and reward them with increased wages instead of limiting their wages.

Secret politics at YMCA GTA Head Office

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at YMCA full-time

Pros

Interesting New Staff Orientation (Speeches are great but just pure words)

Cons

Theres no transparancy within departments and its employees. Front level employees might be genuine but the head office employees specially senior management are all two-faced, back stabbers, hypocrites, smiles at you but conspire against you. They dont prefer people who works hard, meet their goals on time, they prefer it to be the "YMCA time" which is dreadfully slow and barely delivers. They get threaten that if you do well, you'll outshine them and make them look bad so they'll conspire to dispose you in a heart beat. The association try its best to be known as a charity but until now people only know them as a fitness centre because somehow their true colors comes out and society dont accept them as a charity organization . They are not, non profit only get their title because a very small portion of their revenue get donated to the community (maybe 10% or less). It makes me laugh that senior mangement statement that they are "driven by the cause" if thats true then why not work for free. They dont like to be classified as profit or even compared to a profit organization but they are a joke. Their main goal every fiscal year is to double up their revenu, like for this year to 320+ million but yet they claim they're not all about money like a profit organization while their main goal is identical. There's no solid team in this organization, employees conspire against each other just to move up or avoid anyone from taking their spotlight. Also the President himself, his words are just empty promises. I am ashamed to admit I fell for his speech and felt inspired only for me to find out that the circle his talking about, and having a voice is just a simple illusion. Politics in this organization is deeply rooted so beware and do not trust anyone, dont think anyone is your friend, everyone here have hidden agendas. The perfect quote for YMCA of GTA is "FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT" which is the only way to survive in the polluted stagnant water that flows within this organization.

Learn to be a bit genuine sometimes. It wont kill you. Front level employees works hard and they deserve acknowledgement, appreciation and most important, transparency. Dont just talk about wanting transparency, its a two way street.

No training, poor support from management, well-behind the technology curve with their software, and lost of gossip.

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a non-profit, the YMCA looks to make membership, programs, and activities available to all and does award financial aid scholarship.

Cons

Software is highly out-dated, pay is extremely low (however, this is a non-profit), the YMCA also seeks to hire part-time employees to do full-time work so that they do not have to pay for benefits. Highly stressful environment, the members treat the staff members terribly and are incredibly demanding. Upper level management has been there a very long time and is not very welcoming to new ideas and/or staff. Close-knit network of upper-level management that is more self-invested in their retirement plans and their stake in the community than actually doing good work.

The YMCA will be getting a new CEO in September, thankfully, and hopefully someone who has some business skills and is looking to implement a lot of programmatic change.

Wanted to make a difference...found out this is not the place.

Former Employee - Program Director
    Former Employee - Program Director

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Did not have exact time I had to be there in the morning unless I had something scheduled.

Cons

EXTREMELY low pay for EXTREMELY long hours.

COnsider paying program directors a salary they can live on, especially when all the Executive Directors are getting well over six figures.

Employees are property not people

Former Employee - Senior Program Director
    Former Employee - Senior Program Director

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The members you serve make the job worth it.

Cons

The mission is not essential to the leadership, the margin is what is most important.

Compassion, consideration, and to get their hands dirty beyond staff reductions. Get in and serve with those who actually perform the mission.

Fun for a while

Former Employee - Sports Assistant in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Sports Assistant in Fullerton, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the subscribers are fun to work with and you get a gym membership for free

Cons

There was no way to go up in the company, not with that branch manager. Only 3 employers were left from the time that she took over.

work as a team and not as a dictatorship

Upper management has own agenda, wastes time, puts on a front for guests, and treats employees horribly.

Former Employee - Head Lifeguard in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Head Lifeguard in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job atmosphere was great, loved being outside, loved the people I worked with. Able to pursue other jobs within the YMCA such as private swim lessons.

Cons

Upper management is fraudulent and dishonest. Cut private lesson pay from $12/hour to minimum wage. The pool I worked at had over 500 guests each day and management decided to cut the staff from 12 guards to 8, leaving people in the hot blistering sun for over an hour at a time without breaks. This seems like it is unsafe for the lifeguards as well as the patrons they are supposed to be responsible for.

Reward your employees, especially the ones whom stick around. I was there for over 4 years, and never once received a thank you or a good job, even though there were weeks where I worked over 65 hours sitting in the sun. This is why there is such a high turnover rate in terms of lifeguards.