YMCA Reviews

3.6
1,376 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

SACC Aid

Former Employee - SACC Aid  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - SACC Aid in Buffalo, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros

the hours and people worked with

Cons

was being harassed the upper staff did nothing managers will text u at odd hours

actually care about part time employees

no respect for employees

Current Employee - Ece  in  Brockville, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Ece in Brockville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at YMCA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

none- it is a terrible place to work

Cons

treated terribly- no raises, unpaid overtime

get some skills, understanding needed of the requirements of the programs

it was good till i had to get some hip implants

Former Employee - Food Service  in  Granby, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service in Granby, CO

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

you get to work and live with people from all over the world

Cons

they dont seem to care if youre going thru stuff like surgeries, i had two hip implants and they refused to give me sit down work and didnt care i had to leave without an income and not being able to work or find another job

they need to care more about whats happening to their employers instead of dumping them out the door just cause they had surgery, theres a disability act, they need to use it and shouldve given me sit down work instead of making it impossible for me to stay

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper Management is the Devil

Former Employee - Senior Program Director  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Program Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The members and co-workers were great

Cons

Upper management is out of touch and out of control

You talk Christian Principles and then you treat your staff like dirt. Family/life balance is only for people who do not work for the YMCA. I have worked in other YMCA associations where the experience was wonderful, but the Central Florida association has a very well deserved horrible reputation. The "Fair 50" expectation of a minimum of 50 hour work week, management that does not practice what they preach, and never speak out about anything that is not 100% agreed by upper management or you will be run out the door. Only a "yes man" can survive at the Central Florida Y.

Senior Wellness Director

Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Helping the members, families, and children

Cons

Negative workplace environment designed to use intimidation, fear, and abuse to "motivate" success of the organization. Constant turn over rate, working alongside unprofessional and unethical co-workers yet have no access to a proper HR team to help coordinate or control abusive and negative behaviors. Expect to be told to "sleep in your office" and zero work/life balance.

Retire and allow someone else with actual positive management skills to take over

Great place for a single recent grad, but once matured its definitely time to move on.

Former Employee - Health Director
    Former Employee - Health Director

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some places offer great flexibility.

Cons

Low pay, unstable environment, poor management. No quality control over individual y's, CEOs run each y like a fiefdom, with their servants who they can treat however they wish. Benefits are nonexistent, pay is insanely low, even for a non-profit (except for the very top level). National y support is a joke, our CEO even basically fired our board meaning their is no one to report to, except for them.

While difficult, the national y need to assume control of the local y's and make sure they operate like a real corporation.

Great experience, terrible job.

Current Employee - Aquatics  in  Monroe, WA
    Current Employee - Aquatics in Monroe, WA

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great way to get to know your community and provide a positive influence on good people.

Cons

Horrible hours, pay and communications by middle management. Our facility and department had some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the country. Management keeps leading us on with promises of promotions and our 3% yearly raise eleven months of the year and then when the time comes they say its not in the budget. Five years of lies and dishonest tactics by middle and upper management have left a very sour taste in my mouth and concerns with upper leadership in this organization.

Be honest and communicate. There is a huge divide and abuse of power. We see them sitting and chatting all day while we do the work and they reap the benefits.

They work you to death and make empty promises about moving up in the org.

Former Employee - Director  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free gym membership and child care for FT employees. Great if you actually have a child, otherwise you just work for no money.

Cons

No work life balance, low pay, everyone is constantly stabbing eachother in the back. On call 24/7 (oh and they don't give you a phone even though they expect you to answer at 5am)

If you are trying to make a culture change, maybe you should look at yourselves first. Listen to the luckstone presentations and actually absorb them.

They do not practice what they preach

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you hold your ground, you can set your own hours and keep a schedule that works for you.

Cons

Management is awful, from the bottom too the top. Salaries are low. They don't care about keeping there employes. Money is mismanaged. They pretend to be Christians.

They don't care. There's no point in trying to give them advice.

Lack of professionalism at all management levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at YMCA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The members are the best part of working for the YMCA. Building relationships, watching growth and development among the members is the reward for working at the Y. Of course, you do get a free membership if you can stand to workout where you work.

Cons

I am repeating verbatim from an earlier review (please forgive me, but it was most accurate). Low pay, geared toward young and cheap labor. They tend to get rid of the older, experienced workers and hire young workers. This disrupts the programs they have which then tend to fail.

Value and respect the staff who manage to stay for more than a year. Those who run successful programs might just have a good idea what they are doing. Retain and reward successful employees. Stop allowing management to justify their existence with useless emails and meetings. The entire management staff could be cut in half and 80-90% of members would never know the difference. Monies saved could be put back into facility maintenance and paying for qualified and experienced staff.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!