YMCA

3.6
1,543 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 182 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 81 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

YMCA use and abuse

Former Employee - Operations Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family environment that was welcoming to its members. Made many life long friends. Learned how not to run a company and how to treat employees.

Cons

Employees were underpaid, over worked, not respected and overall poorly treated. The organization also turned a deaf ear to the abuse of children that they were supposed to be protecting

Hire better executives who have a clue about how to treat employees.

Too Bad for the Stop motion devision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at YMCA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects
    That is the only thing I can think of ...

Cons

Toxic mental health environment.
    unorganized and wasteful
    Production is inefficient and has lack of experience to do the job
    Frat house of stop motion animation
    mismanagement

It might work better if they let go of some of the managements.

The C needs to stand for Cash

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Frederick, MD

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

none....free membership (not costing them a dime!)

Cons

everything is about the dollar....They could care less about child development. Their non profit status is a joke...The profit goes in the managements pocket. If you question or expose their dirty little deeds your job will be eliminated and they will stalk you on social media for find any way to dispose of you. I have worked with their child care teachers and each and everyone did nothing but sit at a table engaged with themselves. Twenty three years of experience in child development and the first time I get fired for questioning their motives. I am an advocate for children not the Y's pocketbook. I will continue to stand for what is right...they won't stop me!

Put people before the mighty dollar that you only share among yourself

Great Summer Job, but not long term

Current Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the YMCA you are presented with a very kind community of co-workers, and they also strive to work with your schedule (at least where I was)

Cons

The primary issue with working for the YMCA where I worked is that in 10 years time, you'll be making exactly what you started with. Management refuses to make any employees full time under any circumstances and abuses the system to prevent employees from getting raises, this isn't hype from a pissed employee, management has told us that they cant give raises. The facility's are also lacking, every now and then I'll find the pool with little or even sometimes no chlorine in it, and lifeguards don't even have access to a first aid kit on the pool deck. With recent laws part time employees at the YMCA are also capped at 25 hours per week so that they don't have to offer you a full time position. All this is chalked up lack of funds, which I (speculating) highly doubt after working here for more than a year. Also If your looking to be a lifeguard, be aware that they tend to have a single lifeguard on the stand most of the year at an outdoor pool in Florida. about 2 months out of the year you have 2 lifeguards on duty, the rest of the time, your often sitting on the stand for 4 hours in 90+ degree weather with no breaks, be aware of this.

My advice to management would be to treat your employees better financially. The YMCA does a great job at working with schedules, and the workforce is friendly, but as a co-worker once told me: "if you don't feed your employees, they'll eat your customers". If the YMCA straitened out their finances they'd be a fantastic place to work in my opinion!

Terrible place to work

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a fun job because you get to play sports with kids.

Cons

Low pay, Treated employees like dirt, lack of professionalism--multiple times the person they hired to be my boss said the F word very loudly around the kids--and this is supposed to be a christian organization?!

Treat people kindly and follow your YMCA morals that you have posted all over the wall. People are treated terribly by management and the management doesn't care at all as long as "they look good" and "make as much profit as possible"

If you want to be overworked and underpaid this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Business Office in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Office in New York, NY

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Training Sessions
    Excellent staff outings

Cons

Long Hours
    Alot of work
    Management doesnt listen

You should listen to the bottom level employees.

Middle TN organization a tad hokey.

Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Human Resource Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free gym membership. Some employees actually had a functioning mind and did work.

Cons

Very low pay. Glosses over threats. Doesn't protect it's employees. Majority of exempt employees show up at 9 AM and break from 11-1 for lunch. Raises given out based on personal bias.

little money for a company that doesn't care about its employees

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Audubon, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Audubon, PA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great first job if you are interested in working with children.

Cons

Low paying, company will lie to parents to cover up liabilities, company will lie to staff, make them work hours and not pay. poorly run. They will hire anyone just for the purpose of meeting ratio. They will stick anyone with those kids!

Put the welfare of the children first

"Never working at the YMCA again, completely unsafe "

Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-general staff all around was nice
    -pretty flexible to work around school, home and other priorities
    -stable continuous hours
    -not bad pay for life guarding and swim instructing ($10.50-$12.50-ish)

Cons

A lot of unmentioned labor work that was unsanitary such as; cleaning dirty/used towels and clothes of the deck and locker rooms, picking up used feminine products, used toilet paper, hair clumps from the drain, etc. Very lax on the rules, all rules! like one time a child contaminated the pool with sickly fecal mater, and none of the senior management made people exit the pool to super chlorinate (which is a health code violation) but they also made all the younger staff vacuum it up.

Their motto was " the member is always right" which is unsafe in the fact you are protecting people from drowning but you cant do it to the full potential because a member might not like the rule. They had staff that weren't actually certified correctly for the job,which is a total disregard for the safety of the staff and the members, it is kind of important to have qualified people watching to make sure no one drowns,

Completely unsafe

Get people that are actually qualified to help a drowning victim

Met some really cool people but no future in this company.

Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Kansas City, KS

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership
    Made new friends
    If you want a part time job no career advancement it's great

Cons

No room for advancement without a four year degree it doesn't matter how awesome or dedicated you are to your job. Directors only get fulltime and you have to have a four year to be a director. Lack of leadership and direction your kind of just thrown out to the wolves. No pay raises ever! Turnover rate is high they don't fight for their amazing employees. If you wanted to be managed and not have any guidance or future this job is perfect!

Be leaders not managers