YMCA

www.ymca.net
Profile Unclaimed

Very friendly work environments. You get to know members and its great interacting with them as their families grow.

Current Employee - Wellness Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Wellness Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

branch culture, great members, family environment,

Cons

During New Years and Summer, we can get overwhelmed.

Offer more perks or a bonus during New Years and Summer. Your employees are working hard at growing the branches and at time can feel taken for granted.

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Friendly environment to work in; interact with people on a daily basis; clean setting and co-workers were great to work with; free membership as a member is great as well

Cons

Must work there a while to get a raise

Great while in school

Current Employee - Membership Service Representative in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Membership Service Representative in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Kind management
    -Job stability
    -Free membership
    -Balanced environment

Cons

-Low pay
    -Low advancement chances
    -Won't give part time employees 30+ hours

Make sure the pay represents the job. Membership Services, Child Care, and Fitness Floor Attendant at my location all make $8.00/hr.

i never worked here, i just want to unlock some stuff so hey; here's to run on sentences fun!

I worked at YMCA

Pros

seems to be nice, Y not Make an Concerted Announcement? Your Mark Couldn't Ask. Yugo Mugo Cugo AHHHH. Yo Man Cop Asthma.

Cons

Work-life balance, personal growth, benefits, six, seven, eight, nine ten eleven twelve jeez man this is alot of words. jeez

Employees are great, just not much hours

Current Employee - Msr in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Msr in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

laid back, easy job. greeting the customers, answering phone calls, pick which days you can and cannot work.

Cons

barely any hours, guess you can say poor management. told one thing and you get the other

Good starting job for young people or big wigs parachuting in at the top.

Current Employee - Corporate Office
    Current Employee - Corporate Office

I have been working at YMCA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling with good work-life balance. Opportunities to get involved with your community where it counts - assisting those who are need of the most help.

Cons

Pay is awful and management structure is convoluted and confusing, even for those in corporate. Managers are not trained properly to lead others and budgets are too tight to take advantage of the many trainings available. CEO cuts budget for his personal bonuses and spends much money on himself - car, travel, shmoozing with community leaders....all on the Y's dime, while the building is falling down around us.

Focus more on training and organization and the rest will flow naturally. CEO's should not be receiving cars and bonuses and budgets that are grossly out of proportion with what is expected of other departments.

Oaky for part-time but nothing more

Current Employee - Youth Sports in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Youth Sports in Richmond, VA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not hard or tough work (Youth Sports)
    Pay is average
    Some good co-workers to work with
    Kids can be fun to work with
    Good part-time job if you have a full-time job

Cons

The Greater Richmond Y is beyond disorganized and communication is poor. There is zero training and it's a sink or swim atmosphere where you just get thrown out without knowing anything. Turnover is high at the low level.

Advancement seems impossible. I would love to have an opportunity to help change some of the culture and lack of training around here. I have a 4 year degree which is what I hear they want and I have lots of management past experience in previous full time jobs. Yet all the director jobs seem to get filled very fast sometimes without even posting an ad. They just rotate other directors around. When you try to talk to management about your interest in management jobs they seem disinterested in helping you advance. I think I'm getting the hint there is no future here.

Management seems very disconnected to the current employees. How about you actually interview candidates and find good matches instead of being lazy and continue just to play musical chairs with current directors.

No respect for employees who have worked many years for the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely a positive vibe. I worked for the company with children in several departments at a Florida YMCA (child care, summer camp, before and after school care), and the longest time I spent was at the gym's child care area. I worked there while getting my degree in engineering for 7 years (including high school years). The relationship I developed with the children was unbelievable. I got to watch so many of them grow up and most of my bosses were very laid back and let me be creative with the activities I followed with the children.

Free gym membership and child care.

Cons

It seemed as though the people above me were changing constantly. The longest boss I kept was for about three years and she was very sweet, but never very involved since the only reason she was put our department was because of another woman losing her jobs due to cut-backs. We finally got a new boss and despite working there for several years, I wasn't given any respect and the Y went through a lot of changes within months. The changes were great and I was open to them, but the new management was not open to giving respect to people who had been there for so many years.

It's truly a job that no one should want to hold for longer than 5 years because you won't build any respect. If you move up in the company, it won't be fulfilling. It's all a downhill experience after 5 years.

This isn't even from my experience alone, I have a friend who worked for the corporate office for over 20 years and was laid off due to her new boss having a personality clash with her. She was the only one who did that job for the last 20 years and they had her train her replacement and let her go within a couple months. Truly a sad experience.

Also....in the 7 years that I worked there, they only had raises 2 of those years (as in OFFERED raises, not just examined my performance to determine my eligibility).

Offer more respect to employees who have been there for a longer time and be open to hearing their ideas and point of views.

Neenah-Menasha (Wisconsin) YMCA Lifeguard and Swim Instructor

Former Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Neenah, WI

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place to work for a part-time job; it's great for some extra cash flow or for a first time job for high school students.

Cons

At certain hours (early mornings, late nights) there is only one guard scheduled. I consider this to be unsafe even though the procedure in an emergency is to use a 2-way radio to get other staff down to the pool to help (after all, the other staff are not trained in things like spinal emergencies). However, other than this little qualm I had, there's little else I can say that is bad. Well, the pay is low compared to what other lifeguarding jobs in the area offer, but the Y is a non-profit, so there's that.

It was fun atmosphere working at an elementary after school program.

Former Employee - Youth Leader II in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Youth Leader II in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hours for those who are in school and lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Hours a very limited and there is no work during school time vacation unless you get picked to work camp.