YMCA Reviews

3.6
1,456 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 173 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 74 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Wellness Director

Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the members, families, and children

Cons

Negative workplace environment designed to use intimidation, fear, and abuse to "motivate" success of the organization. Constant turn over rate, working alongside unprofessional and unethical co-workers yet have no access to a proper HR team to help coordinate or control abusive and negative behaviors. Expect to be told to "sleep in your office" and zero work/life balance.

Retire and allow someone else with actual positive management skills to take over

Great place for a single recent grad, but once matured its definitely time to move on.

Former Employee - Health Director
    Former Employee - Health Director

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some places offer great flexibility.

Cons

Low pay, unstable environment, poor management. No quality control over individual y's, CEOs run each y like a fiefdom, with their servants who they can treat however they wish. Benefits are nonexistent, pay is insanely low, even for a non-profit (except for the very top level). National y support is a joke, our CEO even basically fired our board meaning their is no one to report to, except for them.

While difficult, the national y need to assume control of the local y's and make sure they operate like a real corporation.

Great experience, terrible job.

Current Employee - Aquatics in Monroe, WA
    Current Employee - Aquatics in Monroe, WA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to get to know your community and provide a positive influence on good people.

Cons

Horrible hours, pay and communications by middle management. Our facility and department had some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the country. Management keeps leading us on with promises of promotions and our 3% yearly raise eleven months of the year and then when the time comes they say its not in the budget. Five years of lies and dishonest tactics by middle and upper management have left a very sour taste in my mouth and concerns with upper leadership in this organization.

Be honest and communicate. There is a huge divide and abuse of power. We see them sitting and chatting all day while we do the work and they reap the benefits.

They work you to death and make empty promises about moving up in the org.

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership and child care for FT employees. Great if you actually have a child, otherwise you just work for no money.

Cons

No work life balance, low pay, everyone is constantly stabbing eachother in the back. On call 24/7 (oh and they don't give you a phone even though they expect you to answer at 5am)

If you are trying to make a culture change, maybe you should look at yourselves first. Listen to the luckstone presentations and actually absorb them.

They do not practice what they preach

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you hold your ground, you can set your own hours and keep a schedule that works for you.

Cons

Management is awful, from the bottom too the top. Salaries are low. They don't care about keeping there employes. Money is mismanaged. They pretend to be Christians.

They don't care. There's no point in trying to give them advice.

Lack of professionalism at all management levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The members are the best part of working for the YMCA. Building relationships, watching growth and development among the members is the reward for working at the Y. Of course, you do get a free membership if you can stand to workout where you work.

Cons

I am repeating verbatim from an earlier review (please forgive me, but it was most accurate). Low pay, geared toward young and cheap labor. They tend to get rid of the older, experienced workers and hire young workers. This disrupts the programs they have which then tend to fail.

Value and respect the staff who manage to stay for more than a year. Those who run successful programs might just have a good idea what they are doing. Retain and reward successful employees. Stop allowing management to justify their existence with useless emails and meetings. The entire management staff could be cut in half and 80-90% of members would never know the difference. Monies saved could be put back into facility maintenance and paying for qualified and experienced staff.

Former employee, great potential for the area, poor leadership all the way around.

Former Employee - Msr in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Msr in Cleveland, OH

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The community and members are perfect. Could not wish for better people.

Cons

The Cleveland association is just a mess. Seems to me they are worried more about the money they bring in for there own pay checks rather than for there branches, equipment and staff. Always quick to point the finger for something negative and quick to blame and fire, demote, or cut hours rather than to attempt to mediate the problem at the mature adult level. A new CEO and an entirely new director staff would be great! Don't get me started on executive directors and human resources. Def would not recommend anyone to apply within this association.

Def could use a entirely new management team. They are all really ridiculous.

EEOC violations at their discretion, conveniently based on personal feelings, not a professional environment.

Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Sewickley, PA
    Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Sewickley, PA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The members of the Y are inspiring wonderful gracious people, such a blessing!

Cons

When your boss is a pathological liar it is all a con and senior management chooses to turn a blind eye to the situation.
    Discrimination
    Unsanitary work conditions, Black Mold, lack of regular housekeeping efforts.

Take the blinders off, look around and see what your members see when they are on the floor stretching, participating in group exercise classes where the instructors have to mop the gym floor because they are embarrassed of the conditions of the facility, meet with your employees to get their point of view on what improvements could be made - they are in the trenches!

Nice place, shame about the people

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The beach is pretty awesome, and there are a lot of activities which the kids do seem to really enjoy.

Cons

The staff are treated horribly for the campers to have a good time. There's a bunch of things they don't tell you about before you arrive, like black widow spiders, poisonous snakes, a serious lack of sleep and time off, and picking up over two hundred dead fish from the bay. But whatever, gotta 'put your camp face on and remember to make sure the campers have a good time'. Wouldn't recommend working for these people, I'm pretty sure a lot of what goes on is against ACA regulations, and maybe even the law. Some of the people are awesome, and some are alright, but a lot of them are backstabbing, liars, and generally make the job more of a chore. It's a horrible job, don't be fooled by pretty adverts and promises.

Be honest in the job description, don't 'forget' to include a lot of the extra things staff have to do.

Worst job ever!!!

Current Employee - After School Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - After School Counselor in Austin, TX

I have been working at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Working with children
    * free membership
    * the very few training the ymca provides are paid and have food.

Cons

*making minimum wage the whole time
    * site director was rude(not all of are like that)
    *Minimal Training
    *site director not training me(telling me it was a waste of her time
    * lack of communication between supervisors and staff
    * No flexibility in the hours

make sure the site directors are training the ALL the staff. and there is no lack of communication. the kids at my site were complaining about 1 mean counselor. have better salary then minimum wage