YMCA

3.7
1,306 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Good cause, flexible houts, hectic environment, management is a exclussive implementable circle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Pros

Nice people, non-profit, always something to do, even though a "christian" org...they are open to all types of people and religions, helping the community free gym membership!

Cons

hectic and unorganized, people are overworked like crazy, very low pay, inexperienced workers, some people do know what they are doing though, no privacy at all, some higher level people do have offices though - doors are usually open which is good

allow more for a path to higher paying jobs, leadership pathways, take care of low-level people more

Fun, exciting and family oriented

Former Employee - Family Programs Counselor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Family Programs Counselor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great work- life balance, employees are friendly and engaging, great services

Cons

not enough staff training, there is lack of communication and the pay is dismal

Communicate and be upfront about policies, salaries and promotions, enforce training

childwatch

Current Employee - Child Watch Associate  in  Parkville, MO
    Current Employee - Child Watch Associate in Parkville, MO

Pros

pros- flexible, understanding management, good relationships with kids and parents

Cons

cons- gossipy coworkers often. too many or not enough hours, no in between.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was good until the beginning

Former Employee - Personal Trainer/Wellness Coach/Youth Fitness Programming  in  Media, PA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer/Wellness Coach/Youth Fitness Programming in Media, PA

Pros

Great team efficacy between coworkers. Free membership/all access to their facilities. Member to employee relationships keep customers happy. Excellent programs available.

Cons

Short-staffing of specialized departments, inner politics/brown-nosing was the only way to advance in company, policies for emergencies/sick staffing was poor. Was in the emergency room for internal bleeding, still had management texting asking if I found coverage for my shift. Was written up when I returned to work three days later for not following company policy. Was let go for not being able to find coverage for the multiple health issues I fell to.

Have management come in if one of you employees is physically unable to perform work for the day. Instead of waiting to go to the hospital in fear of being written up. A manager should not be selfish and I mark from audible conversation 'I need to keep my work at 40 hours, sorry (employee)".

Decent part-time job

Current Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Free membership, free access to all local branches, free CPR classes, class discounts

Cons

Dealing with different personalities (coworkers as well as members)

I don't feel upper management cares about the employees at the lower level. They have no clue what really goes on inside the branches

Great community organization but needs work on fitness programming

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

Pros

The Y is like a family to its members. Instead of being focused on sales, there is a genuine drive toward positively impacting the community that we serve. My immediate supervisor is really wonderful to work with and gives me a lot of freedom to be creative with programming.

Cons

In general, there are no inservices or vehicles of communication between personal trainers. There's no system of mentorship in place in order to nurture trainers and create a higher standard of care. Salaries are very low, with no benefits, and leadership seems to not really care if our instruction is excellent or mediocre or even potentially harmful. I draw this conclusion because I've never once been observed training. We need standards. And we need the people who make programming decisions and fitness policy decisions to have better training in fitness, or bring those of us who do to the table to have a voice in making policy.

At our branches here, it feels like full-time staff are valued more than part-time staff. For personal trainers who come in and out to work with clients but aren't standing in the building talking to colleagues, it can be a lonely job. Create a culture of excellence and communication that encourages us to aim high. I want to know that you care that I'm good. I'm self motivated but it's disheartening to feel like it doesn't matter to the YMCA if I'm excellent or incompetent.

Rewarding and building

Former Employee - Aquatics Coordinator
    Former Employee - Aquatics Coordinator

Pros

Offered a lot of personal growth and development. Overall culture was great with lots of emphasis on team building and challenging eachother

Cons

Wages are not stellar but reasonable for a non-profit. Opportunity for wage increase with frequent reviews and good performance

Wonderful company to work for, full of passionate people

Pros

Passionate people, good communication between employees and supervisors. I felt like I was valued as an employee and there was always an open door policy with all of the directors and supervisors.

Cons

I worked in the summer camp which can get hectic because sometimes there are too many kids and not enough counselors, do to people being out sick or on field trips, etc.

Great Cause

Pros

Friendly staff, laid back environment, set schedules allowing for consistency and ease of scheduling things around work. Fun and interesting atmosphere are a plus as well.

Cons

Sometimes organization is a little too laid back and things either don't get communicated, or they don't get communicated effectively. Disorganization can also lead to the need to have to "wing" certain activities which can be frustrating to both the employees and the members. The pay is low and you don't really receive any raises, so incentive to remain there long term is minimal if you're needing a higher income, but the missions and values of the company are admirable.

Consider how decisions impact the staff as well as the members. It can sometimes feel as though management is only working to favor the members and not focusing on caring for the staff. Actions speak louder than words, and when you say you appreciate the staff and go on about how valuable we are, it doesn't seem very genuine when it isn't backed up back any action.

Working as a lifeguard inside with generic ymca patrons

Current Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor  in  Clemmons, NC
    Current Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor in Clemmons, NC

Pros

free gym membership, short shifts

Cons

poor air quality, unhappy water fitness women, short shifts

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!