YMCA Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

2,283 Employee Reviews

1. They do not practice what they preach

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you hold your ground, you can set your own hours and keep a schedule that works for you.

Cons

Management is awful, from the bottom too the top. Salaries are low. They don't care about keeping there employes. Money is mismanaged. They pretend to be Christians.

Advice to Management

They don't care. There's no point in trying to give them advice.

They work you to death and make empty promises about moving up in the org.

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym membership and child care for FT employees. Great if you actually have a child, otherwise you just work for no money.

Cons

No work life balance, low pay, everyone is constantly stabbing eachother in the back. On call 24/7 (oh and they don't give you a phone even though they expect you to answer at 5am)

Advice to Management

If you are trying to make a culture change, maybe you should look at yourselves first. Listen to the luckstone presentations and actually absorb them.

3. Great experience, terrible job.

Current Employee - Aquatics in Monroe, WA
    Current Employee - Aquatics in Monroe, WA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great way to get to know your community and provide a positive influence on good people.

Cons

Horrible hours, pay and communications by middle management. Our facility and department had some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the country. Management keeps leading us on with promises of promotions and our 3% yearly raise eleven months of the year and then when the time comes they say its not in the budget. Five years of lies and dishonest tactics by middle and upper management have left a very sour taste in my mouth and concerns with upper leadership in this organization.

Advice to Management

Be honest and communicate. There is a huge divide and abuse of power. We see them sitting and chatting all day while we do the work and they reap the benefits.

5. Great place for a single recent grad, but once matured its definitely time to move on.

Former Employee - Health Director
    Former Employee - Health Director

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some places offer great flexibility.

Cons

Low pay, unstable environment, poor management. No quality control over individual y's, CEOs run each y like a fiefdom, with their servants who they can treat however they wish. Benefits are nonexistent, pay is insanely low, even for a non-profit (except for the very top level). National y support is a joke, our CEO even basically fired our board meaning their is no one to report to, except for them.

Advice to Management

While difficult, the national y need to assume control of the local y's and make sure they operate like a real corporation.

Senior Wellness Director

Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Wellness Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping the members, families, and children

Cons

Negative workplace environment designed to use intimidation, fear, and abuse to "motivate" success of the organization. Constant turn over rate, working alongside unprofessional and unethical co-workers yet have no access to a proper HR team to help coordinate or control abusive and negative behaviors. Expect to be told to "sleep in your office" and zero work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Retire and allow someone else with actual positive management skills to take over

Upper Management is the Devil

Former Employee - Senior Program Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Program Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The members and co-workers were great

Cons

Upper management is out of touch and out of control

Advice to Management

You talk Christian Principles and then you treat your staff like dirt. Family/life balance is only for people who do not work for the YMCA. I have worked in other YMCA associations where the experience was wonderful, but the Central Florida association has a very well deserved horrible reputation. The "Fair 50" expectation of a minimum of 50 hour work week, management that does not practice what they preach, and never speak out about anything that is not 100% agreed by upper management or you will be run out the door. Only a "yes man" can survive at the Central Florida Y.

8. it was good till i had to get some hip implants

Former Employee - Food Service in Granby, CO
    Former Employee - Food Service in Granby, CO

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

you get to work and live with people from all over the world

Cons

they dont seem to care if youre going thru stuff like surgeries, i had two hip implants and they refused to give me sit down work and didnt care i had to leave without an income and not being able to work or find another job

Advice to Management

they need to care more about whats happening to their employers instead of dumping them out the door just cause they had surgery, theres a disability act, they need to use it and shouldve given me sit down work instead of making it impossible for me to stay

9. SACC Aid

Former Employee - SACC Aid in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - SACC Aid in Buffalo, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the hours and people worked with

Cons

was being harassed the upper staff did nothing managers will text u at odd hours

Advice to Management

actually care about part time employees

10. Christian Values Not Demonstrated

Current Employee - Aquatics in Burlington, KY
    Current Employee - Aquatics in Burlington, KY

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work isn't difficult. They are very lenient with the times that you have to work. I could not show up to work for a week and still have my job next week. Good starting block as your first job.

Cons

Management is very poor. Our schedules were given to us the day before we had to work. They refused to pay me for hours that they scheduled me for. The YMCA messed up my biweekly paycheck multiple times. They scheduled many employees over 40 hours, but they didn't pay them overtime. They also restrict many positions to age.

Advice to Management

1. Some of your best employees are under 21. You had future Scientist, Teachers, Engineers, and Leaders. Let them to the Pool Deck Supervisor or assistant management roles. 2. Pay your employees and be fair. Act out the Christian values the you preach. Many of your younger employees make minimum wage and are trying to pay their way through college or buy their first car. 3. When you cheat people out of money, your employees are not going to work nearly as hard. Many of your employees are intrinsically motivated; you take that away when aren't fair. 4. Swim Lessons isn't worth working. You either need to implement a longer shift or better pay. A one hour shift making minimum is not long enough. 5. HR needs to take a more active role. 6. Reward your employees. Many employees end up leaving, because they don't feel appreciated. A simple "thank you" or a $5 gift card goes a long way.

11. Met some really cool people but no future in this company.

Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Kansas City, KS

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership Made new friends If you want a part time job no career advancement it's great

Cons

No room for advancement without a four year degree it doesn't matter how awesome or dedicated you are to your job. Directors only get fulltime and you have to have a four year to be a director. Lack of leadership and direction your kind of just thrown out to the wolves. No pay raises ever! Turnover rate is high they don't fight for their amazing employees. If you wanted to be managed and not have any guidance or future this job is perfect!

Advice to Management

Be leaders not managers

Showing 2,283 of 2,365 reviews