YMCA

3.6
1,540 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 173 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 76 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of professionalism at all management levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The members are the best part of working for the YMCA. Building relationships, watching growth and development among the members is the reward for working at the Y. Of course, you do get a free membership if you can stand to workout where you work.

Cons

I am repeating verbatim from an earlier review (please forgive me, but it was most accurate). Low pay, geared toward young and cheap labor. They tend to get rid of the older, experienced workers and hire young workers. This disrupts the programs they have which then tend to fail.

Value and respect the staff who manage to stay for more than a year. Those who run successful programs might just have a good idea what they are doing. Retain and reward successful employees. Stop allowing management to justify their existence with useless emails and meetings. The entire management staff could be cut in half and 80-90% of members would never know the difference. Monies saved could be put back into facility maintenance and paying for qualified and experienced staff.

Former employee, great potential for the area, poor leadership all the way around.

Former Employee - Msr in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Msr in Cleveland, OH

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The community and members are perfect. Could not wish for better people.

Cons

The Cleveland association is just a mess. Seems to me they are worried more about the money they bring in for there own pay checks rather than for there branches, equipment and staff. Always quick to point the finger for something negative and quick to blame and fire, demote, or cut hours rather than to attempt to mediate the problem at the mature adult level. A new CEO and an entirely new director staff would be great! Don't get me started on executive directors and human resources. Def would not recommend anyone to apply within this association.

Def could use a entirely new management team. They are all really ridiculous.

EEOC violations at their discretion, conveniently based on personal feelings, not a professional environment.

Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Sewickley, PA
    Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Sewickley, PA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The members of the Y are inspiring wonderful gracious people, such a blessing!

Cons

When your boss is a pathological liar it is all a con and senior management chooses to turn a blind eye to the situation.
    Discrimination
    Unsanitary work conditions, Black Mold, lack of regular housekeeping efforts.

Take the blinders off, look around and see what your members see when they are on the floor stretching, participating in group exercise classes where the instructors have to mop the gym floor because they are embarrassed of the conditions of the facility, meet with your employees to get their point of view on what improvements could be made - they are in the trenches!

Nice place, shame about the people

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The beach is pretty awesome, and there are a lot of activities which the kids do seem to really enjoy.

Cons

The staff are treated horribly for the campers to have a good time. There's a bunch of things they don't tell you about before you arrive, like black widow spiders, poisonous snakes, a serious lack of sleep and time off, and picking up over two hundred dead fish from the bay. But whatever, gotta 'put your camp face on and remember to make sure the campers have a good time'. Wouldn't recommend working for these people, I'm pretty sure a lot of what goes on is against ACA regulations, and maybe even the law. Some of the people are awesome, and some are alright, but a lot of them are backstabbing, liars, and generally make the job more of a chore. It's a horrible job, don't be fooled by pretty adverts and promises.

Be honest in the job description, don't 'forget' to include a lot of the extra things staff have to do.

Worst job ever!!!

Current Employee - After School Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - After School Counselor in Austin, TX

I have been working at YMCA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Working with children
    * free membership
    * the very few training the ymca provides are paid and have food.

Cons

*making minimum wage the whole time
    * site director was rude(not all of are like that)
    *Minimal Training
    *site director not training me(telling me it was a waste of her time
    * lack of communication between supervisors and staff
    * No flexibility in the hours

make sure the site directors are training the ALL the staff. and there is no lack of communication. the kids at my site were complaining about 1 mean counselor. have better salary then minimum wage

you deserve better

Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Flushing, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Camp Counselor in Flushing, NY

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to use the facilities for free, which include two pools, gym, basketball courts and squash courts.

Cons

Extremely low pay for the amount of work that is asked of you. The desire to avoid the YMCA getting into trouble leads to a lot of ridiculous rules and restrictions. People who are willing to work there generally fall into two categories: cool, intelligent, but just made a bad decision in working at the Y and leave soon after, or community college deadbeats that will do nothing but cause unnecessary trouble and gossip. Those people generally tend to progress to the top because those in management were also once like them.

If you would like to try working for a camp, go anywhere but near this one. All other camps tend to pay more, and if they don't, at least they are in a better environment with better people, less unnecessary rules and hoops to jump through, and you will generally receive tips at the end of summer. To be honest, there is a certain demographic that puts their kids into Y camps in the city, and they aren't the type to tip or appreciate anything you've done all summer long.

Step your game up. Stop acting like you're the most important people in the world and drop the condescending tones. You're camp coordinators for crying out loud.

not the best working experience

Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

coworkers are nice and chill

Cons

minimum pay = minimum effort. work for many years and did not get a raise at all

It's all about management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumter, SC

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free membership (but only for yourself--if you want a spouse or kids on your membership, you have to pay the monthly difference). You also have to pay for your locker every month.

Cons

Terrible pay (minimum wage). No benefits. Stingy about breaks. We were actually told that under SC law, they are not required to give us breaks "but take one if you need one...just keep it short." Managers have very little experience or interpersonal skills. You get the sense that management doesn't care about anyone who works there.

Quit talking about how "Christian" you are and throwing Bible verses around, if you're going to treat employees this way and pay them this badly.

Good company

Current Employee - Childcare in Havre, MT
    Current Employee - Childcare in Havre, MT

I have been working at YMCA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, fair pay, never bored

Cons

I have no cons for this company

none

YMCA builds healthy communities, but not healthy internal practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Front line staff and volunteers (membership, personal trainers, facility, fitness and aquatic instructors) were great to work with: friendly, knowledgeable, committed to own, and others' learning and development. They try really hard to embrace organizational values of Acceptance, Caring, Health, Respect and Responsibility in their day to day work with members and potential members.

Cons

Total lack of onboarding process for new employees, and non-existent expectations or performance reviews provided. An attempt at creating measurement standards was started, but then upper management did not have the know-how or make time to sustain the plan. Upon asking for a 3 month probationary review from my manager, I was told "You're okay. The first 3 months is just to see if you're an idiot or not". Over a year later, and still no formal goal-setting or review ever provided, but lots of verbal insults in private meetings about myself, and other staff / volunteers.
    Full time staff are allowed 12 paid sick days per year, but unspoken reality is if a person actually took sick days it was a little virtual black mark against the person.
    A totally autocratic organizational structure where 1 person makes all the decisions, and has stated "If I had my way I would just do it all myself". This leaves a feeling of never being able to do a job well enough to whichever non-descript project objective is in place at that moment.
    Lack of role definition and communication between departments; if you question a process or propose a new way of doing something more efficiently a response is received such as "that's not how we do it at the Y", or "staff just have to learn to suck it up".

Read, understand and fully embrace your Mission and Values. Encourage communications between departments instead of silo'ing people from each other. Invest in leadership and management training for senior staff and hold them accountable to those behaviours and practices.