YP Reviews

Reset
3.3
YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is good (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and work location (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • no diversity in upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Inconsistent goals for sales reps (in 20 reviews)

Good Food, Good Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP (Less than a year)

Pros

Stocked kitchens full of a foods of varying quality, mostly junk food but some fresh fruits and vegetables, plus a smorgasbord of milk variants (whole, almond, soy). Great work life balance - They will ask you to set up email forwarding to your phone, but you can decline with no penalty. Never have I had to work overtime or been asked to work weekends.

Cons

Late notice when it comes to contract renewal (or not). Quite a lot of office politics and scheming; you can easily tell who likes who, who avoids working with whom, and how people try to get around each other. Plus there are brown nosers galore. There are times with zero interest, but then the big boss shows interest so everyone acts like they were always on board. A general spinelessness is not uncommon, although there are certainly some wonderful people as well.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Director in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for YP for over 4 years and the one thing I can say is that it is not a boring place to work. Here in the Glendale office, it provides a fun working environment with intelligent innovative employees and fun teammates. The days fly by and I have to remind myself that it's quitting time. The company rewards hard workers that do a good job. I've been promoted twice in the last few years. There are many opportunities for me to learn new skills, change teams, or take on new projects. My management team is fantastic - I'm not saying all teams are, but mine is great - really smart guys, great at mentoring and coaching, great at helping me build my own career.

Cons

Due to the company's rich history of transitioning from print to digital, there are a few processes that are still in transition and refinement, which creates slow downs in getting certain tasks completed.

Advice to Management

I took one star off of Compensation and Benefits because the medical benefits could be a little better and less confusing.

Engaging, Dynamic, Creative, Empowering

Current Employee - Circle of Care Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Circle of Care Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a place to work that engages you to be your best and rewards you for success then you've found the right place. YP is constantly changing for the better with the purpose to fulfill our mission: "Helping local businesses and communities grow". The best part is you are given space to breath and be creative in solving problems. Find a better way or completely reinvent the process. You are empowered to make the call and do what is right. No shortcuts to success just a day in and day out commitment to make YP a great place to work and better serve our consumers and advertisers.

Cons

This is a fast growing industry which means we have to adapt quickly to the market. Sometimes we don't get it right the first time, processes break or ideas don't scale as hoped. We don't always have the tools or people needed to solve the issue at hand.

5. System Administrator

Current Employee - Systems Administrator/SharePoint Developer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator/SharePoint Developer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Employees with great opportunities, friendly management.

Cons

Still trying to reimagine its role.

6. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Cares about its tech group very much.

Cons

Can communicate better to its employees

Degrading place to be

Former Employee - Product Management in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and bonus but that's it.

Cons

Engineering calls the shots and you better like it or your job will be at stake.

Advice to Management

Reorganization of the company.

Not a positive place

Former Employee - Network Ops in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Network Ops in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, access to open source projects.

Cons

Colleagues are good people management is cold and callous at all levels even lower level managers they don't care if you do a good job. Act like you should be grateful they hired you.

Advice to Management

Change your structure silos don't work it has been proven. Better communication methods need to be enacted. And stop working in panic mode it makes for an ugly environment.

Director

Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology, good work-life balance. Not much expectation of results or change

Cons

Extreme disconnect between management vision and rank and file. Demotivated and burned out staff. Very intolerant of risk.

YP Response

Jul 24, 2015 – Recruiting Business Partner, Programs

We appreciate your feedback and we are always working on improving. To provide additional feedback please email us at socialmedia@yp.com.

10. The REAL YP

Current Employee - Business Partner in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Business Partner in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- incomparable work/life balance - competitive salary - high exposure to senior leadership - numerous opportunities for 20% projects; highly supported and recommended - workshops/events held weekly - atmosphere: relaxed, hungry, buzzing, fun, raw - coworkers: fun, helpful, good people, diverse, SMART - mobility: high - tons of resources

Cons

- Transparency: I've been told this is an issue for some YP employees, but have personally found a solution. I have been proactive about asking managers questions, building relationships with senior leadership, and showing initiative in my role. I have never felt uninformed or blindsided as a result. Those who do not take the steps to communicate and show their interest in the future of YP / their future with YP are less informed as a result of their own lack of interest.

Advice to Management

- Thank you for your continuous support. I am excited for the future!

Operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool people in Glendale. Nice kitchen. Good hackathon s

Cons

Terrible terrible management. The CEO is clueless about the company. Technology is pretty weak and let's be honest- who the hell uses the yellow pages any more.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO

RSS Feed </> Embed