YP

Updated November 5, 2014
2.7

YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • There are a lot of talented people who work there and the work life balance is great (in 23 reviews)

• Currently good benefits but they may be changing as a union agreement expires shortly (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has been also made aware of these issues and still nothing is done (in 24 reviews)

• sales reps handle EVERYTHING from beginning of sale to the end (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, managers and higher management. Very casual and flexible environment.

Cons

Easy to get stuck in the same position for years.

good change to learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined as fresh graduate, and it's a good place to learn.

Cons

People not as passionate about technology as I expected.

Dysfunctional and only likely to get worse

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - if you have the right boss, you can do work remotely but that isn't everywhere in the company.

Cons

IT has too many silos and with the acquisition or split off from AT&T that only got worse, particularly with the number of people being added in the new GA HQ versus the west coast office.

IT needs to consolidate its functions and where it makes sense people should be allowed to work remotely given how geographically the company is spread out in the US.

Just a number

Former Employee - Premise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Premise Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at YP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had some good friendships with co-workers and a decent auto allowance.

Cons

Upper management is paid on entirely different items than the sales force causing a major disconnect with teams and a lack of integration and motivation from the top down. The products work, but only for some industries in certain circumstances. Management would have you fit a square peg in a round hole to make the number, even if it isn't the best solution for the client.

Offer better and accurate full disclosure to new reps about the rules of your contests. Several reps I worked with, including myself blew it out of the park in their first year in sales, only to find out there were qualifying events beyond our control that prevented us from ever having a chance at making our bonus or trips to the Bahamas. Having to attend regular meeting that push the bonus prizes without full disclosure simply breeds apathy down the road.

Stay away if you can

Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is good place to park in case job is your last priority in life.

Cons

Leadership: C level people have no clue what they are doing other than "managing"/keeping people busy. Most of them don't have real background in Consumer, Ads or even technology. YP is a big experiment where they seem to be honing their skills. The downside for the employees is that they end of working on projects that don't make sense from day 1 and get scrapped often. For your future role it s difficult to explain that 5 projects you worked on were scrapped.

Perks: Insurance plan used to be good. Now it is horrible.

Personal Growth/Career growth:Noticed this in another review "All the good people left already. what's left is cronies and dummies". It says it all.

Compensation : Below market.

No point. There should be someone willing to listen to advice.

Do not value employees that are not part of the new regime

Former Employee - Director in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work location. PTO and medical benefits are in line with other corporate employers, and better than many smaller companies offer. Promotions come quickly if you are friends with the right executives.

Cons

Unbelievable politics! AT&T sold company to VC Cerebus in 2012 and the leadership has gone through almost a complete changeover to Bain Consultants alumni. The company continues to struggle to gain traction with its target audiences (consumer users and enterprise advertisers) and reorganizes every quarter to try and come up with an effective strategy.

Pay less attention to managing upward. Good leaders want to be guided by their teams, not just have them agree to implement anything the execs think up regardless of how irrelevant it is to the market. Create business plans BEFORE committing resources to a new product rather than simply to justify the decision after it has already been made.

I work with Rico and integrate Flappy Bird into YP.com while getting paid for it!!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get paid generously, I learn new stuff almost daily and I am surrounded by awesome friends. There is a strong culture of continuous learning across the company and people help each other to get better at what they do.

Cons

Due to the fact that we were under AT&T in the past, there is some bureaucracy. But we are aware of it and trying to eliminate it and execute faster.

Keep running, experimenting and find ways to innovate

Excellent people, fun problems, and great opportunities.

Current Employee - Software Architect in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of the people here are great to work with. Many want to help each other learn and really embrace the collaborative spirit. We have many fun problems to work on with a ton of opportunities to grow in and into.

Cons

Culture of some of the org / team can be "enterprisey" and reject change even when it is truly in the companies best interest. We are currently trying to crack this nut and things are heading in the right direction.

Lead well. Collaborate on priorities and focus your team on what matters. Change the culture to support our company core principles.

Former Employee Of YP, YP Holdings, YP.com

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Executive -Sales Representative in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at YP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great sales training and somewhat competitive products. Decent benefits, they are in line with most corporations new model of passing the cost of benefits to the employees. You can make a lot of money if you work hard and long hours. If you are a top sales rep you won't be micromanaged. if your in the top 2-4% of performers you can win a trip to the Bahamas.

Cons

You will be micromanaged if you're not in the top 20% on performance pulls. Performance pulls are done every 3 months and objectives are set to high to reach. Management is stressed out and bullied by upper management, so they pass it down to the sales reps. Managers are also pretty useless when it comes to fixing customer service issues which there are many to count and they are continuously. There is a very slim chance to move up in the company. There is a huge lack of ethics and accountability on behalf of management when it comes to sales of they're products and services, many customers are taken advantage of and mislead by sales reps and management knows this but looks the other way as long as the dollars keep coming in. It was a great company years ago when it was Pacific Bell. Not a good company to work for anymore.

Stop taking advantage of your customers. Develop some ethics and fire reps that are misleading and non ethical with their customers, stop rewarding the crooked reps and keep the reps that actually care about they're customers and do the right thing but then again it's probably too late, you have already fired almost all the ethical reps who do the right thing for the customer because they did't sell enough.

Not a career, hardly a job

Current Employee - Executive Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food
    Lots of snacks
    Lots of time off
    No one checks vacation time / unlimited
    Great bonuses

Cons

Leadership does not care about the mission for the company - there is no desire to help small businesses grow. The advertising doesn't work.
    Leadership continues to make the big decisions, few are empowered.
    CEO shows extreme favoritism, particularly to his personal friends who he has hired at C level spots.
    CEO is clueless about the industry, and doesn't take time to know his employees.
    No culture.
    Proof of it doesn't matter what you know, its all about who you know.

Recognize Talent. Develop a culture.
    Really make a difference for small businesses, do more than just serve random results. These businesses depend on this service to help them grow. Most are wasting precious $$.
    Have the CEO focus more on business and less on getting his personal services met through the company.