YP Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.7

YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • There are a lot of talented people who work there and the work life balance is great (in 23 reviews)

• Currently good benefits but they may be changing as a union agreement expires shortly (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has been also made aware of these issues and still nothing is done (in 23 reviews)

• sales reps handle EVERYTHING from beginning of sale to the end (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity but be prepared

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at YP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training, good commission structure, benefits good

Cons

High turnover, only 2 out of 10 stick it out, Churn and burn approach on selling, it's a numbers game. Any true telesales professional would probably have a hard time adapting to the shotgun approach from the outset.

Rather than telling salespeople that they are paying rent on their desk and having sales managers saying "Go make me money" try to foster an environment where people are appreciated instead of disposable would greatly increase sales. When people are appreciated they do more than expected. Basic life lesson. Treat people as though they already are the what you want them to be and they will become it to please you.

Great Co-Workers and Environment, Headed Downhill

I have been working at YP

Pros

Great pay until the new Union Contract passes.
    Great Co-workers
    Flexible Schedule - Basically set your own schedule as long as your appointments are valid
    Company Outings and parties

Cons

Pay cut coming soon
    Great products, but fighting to keep the print is a nightmare
    Management is becoming cut-throat

We're a marketing and advertising company...spend more money marketing our products in all markets, not just the big media markets. It would help to have a prospective advertiser call in sometime instead of cold calling all the time.

Monetary rewarding, solid company, learned a lot about selling advertising. Sometimes a very hostile environment.

Current Employee - Account Manager II in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Account Manager II in Louisville, KY

I have been working at YP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay ( compensation) and good benefits. I liked where the company was going in terms of product and services. Overall management was good, but too many times informed sales reps to sell a promotional product the 11th hour or the rep was informed "you need to do a task" at the 11th hour and destroy a day of appointments and customer meetings and if you don't you will get written up or fired.

Cons

Retaining customers that were sold incorrectly by the previous rep or manager and who were very upset.

Use a good balance of positive and negative motivation. Too much one way or the other is not good. Inform sales reps with more notice of policies and procedures. Make sure sales rep understands the overall sales process.

Pretty good.

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits including insurance and 401K. People are respectful and cordial. Company is advancing in the digital marketplace. Nice and convenient work location.

Cons

Work-Life balance, long hours, not many job perks. No education opportunities. No retirement plan. Not much opportunity for advancement unless you are super techy.

Get to know your people, match people to the jobs that they are passionate about so that they will be enthusiastic about going to work. People are a lot more productive when they are not overworked.

Treated customers poorly for too long

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at YP

Pros

Decent hours and great experience

Cons

Pushing a dying advertising medium and not treating customers as they should.

Do what is right for the customer and you won't lose money hand over fist.

You get what you give.

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities. Cutting edge digital products. Always improving systems and products.

Cons

There are still plenty of "old school" yellow pages people who want things the way they used to be. Order takers vs salespeople.

Mentoring programs and tuition reimbursement are needed.

YP Response

Oct 22, 2014Director - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your YP review! We are rapidly evolving at YP and attracting more talent, like you, who want to think outside the box and help us grow! Thanks for your commitment!

By the way, we
    ... More

good change to learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined as fresh graduate, and it's a good place to learn.

Cons

People not as passionate about technology as I expected.

Great place to work! Many opportunities!

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is awesome, work for what you earn!! Leadership has done a great job with turning YP from a legacy AT&T company to a top digital advertising company!!

Cons

No cons! However, having a telecommuting option would be nice!

Keep doing what you are doing!! We are a sustainable company with great opportunity to help businesses grow with the best offerings in digital advertising!

Great Money, Buuuuuttttt....

I worked at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome earning potential. Great commission structure (but I have heard it has now changed). Good benefits. Company trips. Lots of recognition with management on achievements. Lots of contests and cool prizes (ipads, gift cards, tiffany jewelry, snow blowers, etc) some of the managers are really awesome.

Cons

Lots of commission chargebacks, so they giveth and they taketh away. Products have swiftly declined, and have become more difficult to see and resell with every passing year. The shrinking sales force is telling. Churn and burn the sales. No work/life balance. Cult like culture. Can be cut throat. Managers use fear and intimidation tactics. Unrealistic goals. Not knowing goals until the week before you were supposed to hit them. Double speak: They say the client comes first, but it becomes obvious that it is the company that always comes first. The focus was always on numbers on paper, and never actual dollars realized. I left the year I made the most money with the company, and I took a $20,000 pay cut to go work. I still maintain it was the right decision 2 and a half years later.

Love your people and be kind.

It's was stressful

I worked at YP

Pros

Good people
    Good product
    Gives a lot of resources.

Cons

Have to be motivated to call millions of people to sell them advertising.

Keep it up.