YP

Updated February 27, 2015
2.8

YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • There are a lot of talented people who work there and the work life balance is great (in 23 reviews)

• Currently good benefits but they may be changing as a union agreement expires shortly (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has been also made aware of these issues and still nothing is done (in 24 reviews)

• sales reps handle EVERYTHING from beginning of sale to the end (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company for now

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pays well. Large national company with good benefits. Lots of support. Unionized sales force so it's hard to get fired.

Cons

The company's internet products are not competitive in the marketplace. They charge too much for their Google Adwords campaigns. The only way you can sell an advertiser is if they don't know anything about SEM. If you have a savvy advertiser, they will easily identify the flaws of the SEM products and will not buy. This company is going to be in some trouble because as print dies, they cannot evolve fast enough on the internet. The only good product they have is YP.com

great income,,,,expect micromanagement!

I worked at YP

Pros

Salary, commissions, and bonus can exceed 100k for top producers!

Cons

Office at 745 and 4pm every day, great if you live within 5 minutes of office, a nightmare if you don't .
    Management doesn't care if you are a top performer,,,they want you to post you sales everyday.
    (Make you walk to board and post in meetings )
    support is overseas and doesn't understand requests.

Allow top performers to work from home.
    Stop games of posting numbers on boards and managers playing dictator s.

Excellent Opportunity to Build Your Business and Make Great Money

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at YP

Pros

I like that the commission structure and bonuses allow for people who do well to really make amazing money. The activity and work that you put into this directly connect to your results and sales. The best way to go about this job is to treat it as your own, as if you are a business owner. You can either wake up early, plan your day out, make your calls, and close your deals or you can be lazy and not manage your time well and fall behind in activity. It's not the easiest job, you can make 50 calls and not get a single meeting and the next day make 50 and get 5 meetings, completely random. Ultimately, you have no one to blame but yourself if you fall behind and pick up bad habits. Another pro is that you can literally work with any size business. We have clients that spend $60 a month to $50k a month, there is no business you can't find a solution for. It makes the prospecting endless. Territory is open compared to assigned territories in other sales jobs. The results are easy to track. You can pull up your client's info and see exactly what kind of leads they are getting and show them how you are helping them. I enjoy the perks like the car allowance, lap top, cell phone, and ipad. Not every sales job out there offers these things, and it's great to see a company willing to provide those which normally would come out of your pocket. The training was amazing! It was in sunny California and you can tell they are really pushing for a fun, upbeat, and POSITIVE work environment. The benefits are pretty good, no complaints. Good work is constantly getting a shout out. Budgets are very fair.

Cons

Older reps can really be debbie downers. They are use to old habits, old business practices, and old commission structures. They actually give you a heads up in training to avoid these people because all they are going to do is have you second guessing your job choice and ultimately messing with your work attitude. Depending on what team you end up on the micro managing can be moderate to intense, luck of the draw. Cancellations affect you in a really big way even if it's totally out of your control, so that can really mess your numbers up. Culture also varies depending on what office you are in. If people search YP complaints online, it can get ugly. There are a lot of past and current reps who will tell a client anything to get the sale and it ends up being bad for the company in the end.

Like I mentioned above, I treat this job like my own business. When it comes to management, I look to them to be more of my quarterback versus a boss that I'm forced to report to. Suggest things to help my business, help with a difficult close, answer my questions. Let me run my business and intervene when necessary, basically. Could probably do away with the daily reporting/calls by simply giving your numbers for the week once a week on Monday or Friday. Outlook calendar covers what my day looks like so no need to go over it unless I need help with a meeting. The culture could also improve by incorporating more office events like team lunches or happy hours.

Worked there for approximately one year after they acquired the company I was working for.

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at YP

Pros

The overall compensation package was competitive.

Cons

Organizational changes compromised any sense of job stability.

Things change frequently

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like my coworkers a lot, and there's free snacks.

Cons

There's very little room to grow in some departments, especially "A1 level" jobs like customer service and graphics.

Allow more room for growth and development, reward those who obviously work harder than others.

Good work/life balance
    Dedicated to Agile development methodology.

I have been working at YP

Pros

Work life balance
    Good people to work with

Cons

Out of touch management
    Not very innovative

Fun company with great people

I worked at YP

Pros

There are some great smart and fun people in this company that you work with, which makes each day at work fun and interesting. Salary is comparable to other tech companies in the area.

Cons

Benefits are pretty standard and you would expect more from a "tech" company.

Employees are disposable

Former Employee - Directory Advertising Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Directory Advertising Sales Representative

I worked at YP

Pros

Excellent commission bonuses based on performance. Paid Holidays, 2 week paid vacation first and after 7 years increases to 3 weeks, union represented CWA., Advancement Opportunities, Digital Products sold nationwide, Print sold in 22 states, good office atmosphere, excellent upper management, company cover all travel expenses

Cons

Some1st and 2nd level managers are not qualified enough or experienced enough, Sales manager have a hard time following the contract with the union, Lots of travel, at the least 50% more like 65%, health care benefits are not worth having- expensive, employment is very impersonal- you are just one more. They will hire you, uses you, squeeze the last drop out of you and then dispose of you essentially there is an "employees are disposable" attitude.

New Sales more important than people.

Former Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant in South Florida, FL

I worked at YP

Pros

Potential Income, Work schedule, Benefits

Cons

Everyday harassment about new sales. Forget about increase to current advertisers, a new $30 sale is more important to this company.

Remember to take care of your sales force as well as your current customers, not just where the next new sale is.

Senior Media Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Media Consultant in Whitestone, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Media Consultant in Whitestone, NY

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation,Product Mix, ability to communicate with senior leadership team. i have the ability to work independently to get the job done.

Cons

Like any sales job its a challenge every day to cold call and service your customers.

Continue to allow your feet on the street to communicate with you openly.