YP Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.6

YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • There are a lot of talented people who work there and the work life balance is great (in 19 reviews)

• Currently good benefits but they may be changing as a union agreement expires shortly (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from what is actually happening (in 16 reviews)

• Most advertisers are very dissatisfied as there is a huge lack of customer service (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

I work with Rico and integrate Flappy Bird into YP.com while getting paid for it!!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get paid generously, I learn new stuff almost daily and I am surrounded by awesome friends. There is a strong culture of continuous learning across the company and people help each other to get better at what they do.

Cons

Due to the fact that we were under AT&T in the past, there is some bureaucracy. But we are aware of it and trying to eliminate it and execute faster.

Keep running, experimenting and find ways to innovate

Excellent people, fun problems, and great opportunities.

Current Employee - Software Architect  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The majority of the people here are great to work with. Many want to help each other learn and really embrace the collaborative spirit. We have many fun problems to work on with a ton of opportunities to grow in and into.

Cons

Culture of some of the org / team can be "enterprisey" and reject change even when it is truly in the companies best interest. We are currently trying to crack this nut and things are heading in the right direction.

Lead well. Collaborate on priorities and focus your team on what matters. Change the culture to support our company core principles.

Great exposure to marketing, inside sales and a fast pace environment

Current Employee - Advertising Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Advertising Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at YP full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great commission structure. If you are persistent and willing to learn and commit to hard work you can make good money at YP.

Cons

Lots of changes. You have to be able to adapt to all of the weekly sometimes daily changes and stay focus.

Nurture great area sales managers and because of that, the reps will become great as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A part-time position that required full-time effort with a schizophrenic managing structure

Former Employee - Sales Administrator  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Administrator in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at YP part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very little management looking over your shoulder
    - Not much schedule demand
    - Good experience for office work
    - Direct Supervisor encourages problem solving and active forecasting of potential sales team issues

Cons

- Minimum wage at part-time hours (and those part-time hours are strictly enforced. I attempted to make coffee in the morning a half hour before my shift and I was "advised" against it)
    - Direct Supervisor will tell you to do one thing and his supervisor will tell you how that task can't be done unless this condition is met first. Not a clear infrastructure
    - Direct Supervisor has a "hire and fire" mentality so be prepared to meet lots of new faces while working there

Establish a clear line of communication between team members and supervisors. Standardize responsibilities or encourage outside the box thinking in problem solving

Owned by Private Equity Firm and it shows...

Current Employee - Premise Account Executive
    Current Employee - Premise Account Executive

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Local management is helpful and courteous for the most part. Somewhat flexible hours. Company is trying to improve the way it does business as execution has been very poor in the past. This used to be a very very good job and was a difficult company to get into. It was very common to find employees with 2+ years and still very satisfied with their job.

Annual Anniversary parties are fun and company has good sales contests at times.

Cons

Company is totally focused on analytics and costs. New comp plan is very complicated and very difficult to make a decent living. Sales reps are totally responsible for everything that happens on the sale from initial sale, collections, billing mistakes by company and product fulfillment. If you are not extremely vigilant throughout the year to your sales, the customer will inevitably stop paying and your commission is charged back. Goals are unilaterally raised mid campaign so you never really know how well you are doing.

Company has cut back significantly on sales support including collections, artists, general support and this becomes the sales reps responsibility. Reps work harder than ever before while the company is cutting back on comp plans.

Stop only using words to motivate your employees. Motivation comes from real action by the company. You can't expect employees to be motivated to change the company and make it successful when you are focused on cutting employee compensation and raising costs of benefits. Without good sales reps that are motivated to work hard, this company will not go anywhere.

Fear driven sales culture.

Former Employee - Media Consultant
    Former Employee - Media Consultant

I worked at YP full-time

Pros

There is an opportunity to make decent money.

Cons

Horrible customer experience, unethical sales practices, fear driven management. Culture is nonexistent. Churn and burn mentality for both employees and customers.

Encourage, don't threaten your best employees. Create an environment where people enjoy coming to work. Treat your customers right.

They say "customer-centric" but really mean "screw the customer just get their money"

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at YP full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay (if you sell well), benefits, 8-5 (good or bad depending on how much you want to work)

Cons

-Upper management is clueless
    -just fired several managers for ethics violations
    -sales reps handle EVERYTHING from beginning of sale to the end
    -most customers are angry about something
    -MC2 "game changing" program is pathetic. company claims 95% retention in program but most customers are upset with performance

Customer Service Jobs Disguised as Tech Jobs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great team members. People are very friendly.

Cons

Lack of mentoring opportunities, low wages, supervisors who never speak to staff, constantly changing procedures, no opportunities to obtain advanced education, employees required to train each other

Conduct discovery to learn what products advertisers actually want and need.

Ignoring a problem

Current Employee - Account Manager/Premise Sales
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Premise Sales

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Company for long term if not in sales.

Cons

Company allows managers with "abuse" problems to continue to work without offering a program to help. If it was offered and refused that manager should be relieved of duty. The issue has been brought to the company 's Hot line attention and nothing is done about it. Kind of sad for both parties.

address the problem and don't ignore the obvious.

A local search leader who has been in decline for a few years and grasping at straws

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Solid mid-level team who execute well

Cons

Owned by private equity and it feels like a 'flip' is eminent.

C-level officer of "culture"? With all of the spending cuts, that move feels the most insulting.

Worked for YP? Contribute to the Community!