YP

YP Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

YP CEO David Krantz

David Krantz

Pros:
  • "There are a lot of talented people who work there and the work life balance is great"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Currently good benefits but they may be changing as a union agreement expires shortly"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Union sales environment creates issues with sales reps doing the bare minimum to get by"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Upper management is too disconnected from what is actually happening"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Best & Brightest Work Here

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI work here because of the people, some of the best and brightest work here. It is amazing to see the amount of passion and innovation that exist in this company.

ConsYP had a hard time with the transition from AT&T Interactive that created a lot of uncertainties. The dust has finally settled and change is on the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on the employees in terms of training, innovation and employee engagement to help YP grow even quicker. Continue to fuel the fire for unconventional thinking, breaking down silos and listening to the employees.

Publishing

Job Outsourced to INDIA (Former Employee)

I worked at YP full-time for more than 10 years

Prosco-workers were the best part

ConsPrivate equity firm who decides people are expendable

Advice to Senior Managementif you lay off 3500+ ppl at least offer them something

YP: Yes, Please! I will take that inflated bonus for the 4th year in succession!!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros4 years later, still going strong, turning down SIlicon Valley recruiters on a weekly basis. Word among the recruiters is that they need to "pluck" people away from YP, A LOT of whom have served their previous DIGIAL ADVERTISING employers with distinction. A fair amount of managers at YP believe very strongly in a work-life balance and are willing to allow telecommuting, and flexible-hours capability: seek them out! HR and Facilities are working together to revamp the benefits, perks, and work environment - this is not your grandpa's YellowPages, and certainly not AT&T!

ConsThis is a big enough company - has its share of politics and favoritism. If you are initially unlucky to land in a "less than desirable" spot, worry not - soon enough several opportunities will arise internally allowing you to explore other avenues (provided, of course, you are good, and managers on both side of the transaction agree).

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the business owners, engineering managers, and product developers even more autonomy. Don't just NOT PUNISH risk-taking, in fact, ENCOURAGE & REWARD it (therein lies a message about risk-taking for you too); talk about what YP learned as a company from FAILED projects & initiatives. Executives need to focus ALL of their efforts on the following three - in that order:
1. SALES EMPLOYEES (more/higher/faster incentives for doing the right thing)
2. NON-SALES EMPLOYEES
3. CUSTOMERS (Why are customers #3, you ask? Because they are #1 on the list for SALES & NON-SALES employees!)

Company Of Doers???

Media Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at YP full-time for more than a year

ProsWork / life balance is great
Most managers are good if your on the fulfillment side (sales is another monster)
Flexible schedule, just work your 8 hours and go home
Lots of autonomy
Casual dress code
Good training
Atlanta office is modern and nice (huge cubicles)
A leader is search
I really do feel like I make an impact in helping small businesses grow

ConsAbsolutely no perks or frills (we were asked to pay for our own holiday party)
pay is marginal
Red tape to the MAX thanks to it AT&T's mentality ( why does sales need a union?)
Lots and lots of emails
Processes change daily (no need to learn them as it'll change next week)
high turnover (get your experience then leave)
Hire a ton of contractors but only hires one person a full time
Ran by old white men...no diversity in upper management
Difficult for career growth (HR is slow)
Slow to innovate in the digital arena

Advice to Senior ManagementINVEST INVEST INVEST in your employees! Hire contractors if they do good work! Don't be afraid to spend money on them, they are your capital.

Turn Around

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNew leadership has great vsion

ConsStill have some "legacy" issues

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on the branding.

Products work for some small businesses, not all.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at YP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat commission, great insurance, great people

ConsMicro-managed, turning into a call-center, unethical practices, dying print product, no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so hungry for any kind of sales.

Great Place to Work

Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP

ProsFriendly people and meaningful work make being a part of YP fun and interesting. I felt welcome and at home from the first day I arrived. Management at all levels listens to what you have to say, and more importantly, acts on it!

ConsThere are some growing pains as the company keeps growing and expanding,. Nothing major, and mostly related to finding enough people to hire, finishing The Big Project, and finding new ways to expand. Nice problems to have!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up what you're doing!

Potential Powerhouse

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI enjoy working here. The hours are flexible, the pay is great and I work with a great group of people.

ConsLimited mobility. I've been in the same payscale for 11 years. Men typically get promoted more often than women.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide honest feedback to your employees, show some interest in a mentoring program

Been here over 10 years

Directory Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at YP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Salary - we own the market

ConsCompetitive - Company spends 2 months training new employees and them leaves them to either sink or swim - causes high turnover and customer dissatisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with new hires

New Media Outside Sales Rep

New Media (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time for more than a year

ProsOn-going training, if you sell consistently you get paid well, benefits, gas, cell phone allowance, flexibility with your schedule, multiple products to sell. Contests, bonus money to be made if you meet your quota.

ConsLong hours invested to make a sale. Once you make a sale the process is long and tedious and too often mistakes are made by fulfillment. If a customer does not pay you will be charged back. Leads provided by company are weak, and have been worked over by tel reps, etc...most managers have never sold advertising and they don't know what they are doing or talking about. Union dues are too high and I don't feel they are worth it.
Training is six long boring weeks that leave you more confused. A sales rep would be better off following an experienced sales rep in the field for six weeks than wasting the time in a classroom situation. A very politically run company, your either in or not. If you are liked you get extra perks and prizes are awarded to you even if you don't deserve them. A "good ol' boys" work mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers from within who have sold the products for a minimum of 2 years. How can a manager know how to sell, and understand the complexity of advertising if a manager has never done it. Every six months upper mgmt should ask all sales rep to give feedback on their managers pros and cons. If there are more cons, get rid of that manager. When products are not producing as well as projected, make something happen more quickly for the customer. Big turnover with customers, due to not working.

Worked for YP? Contribute to the Community!

YP Videos

YP – Why Work for Us?

YP is a group of Doers who help local businesses and communities grow which is proven by our Top 40 U.S. web and mobile property and the fact we are used by 70 million unique visitors each month. Our people are the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YP CEO David Krantz. All 310 reviews posted anonymously by YP employees.