YP Reviews

Reset
2.9
YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is good (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and work location (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • no diversity in upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Inconsistent goals for sales reps (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Positive changes being made from the top down...

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product offerings that actually give a positive ROI to the customer. Very transparent communications from the VPs of sales to the rest of the team. We work hard and are expected to, but we are rewarded HIGHLY on the financial side along with great spiffs and team outings. Our office is VERY REAL. Some people don't like that the expectations are clear and that the system can no longer be manipulated. That's ok with me. They can go elsewhere. This company is under very strong leadership that will bend over backwards to help insure success if you're willing to do the work. Honesty and ethics are valued and those who don't have them won't succeed. Great opportunities to move up instead of just laterally as well. I'm looking forward to being here for the long haul.

Cons

It's a grind. Lots of calls (think 75-100) on investment day to set up your week. 10-12 appointments a week are needed to really exceed your numbers. Which, you should want to do anyway. You will after time get accounts from reps who have left. Some will need work because not all reps care and don't do the work to set up a client properly. Be efficient with your time and be coachable (no matter how many years of experience)

Advice to Management

Company Leadership is strong in my opinion and transparent. I've worked for some big brands in the world and YP has a great thing going with the level of support they give at the onset. I just think all offices should and need to be on the same page with ramping period, PIP rules and expectations and SFDC could use a few tweaks to make it more efficient for the salespeople to use.

2. Decent place to Work

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Above average salaries, strong sales force

Cons

Senior Leadership lacking in diversity. In addition very little available in there area of work/home balance.

3. Fast Growing Digital Marketing

Current Employee - Senior SEM Analyst in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Senior SEM Analyst in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company. Great 401k, health insurance and other benefits. Great manger that i work for.

Cons

Communication chain still needs more work.

5. YP is a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, commissions and benefits. No working on weekends or holidays. Good working environment. Not stuck in an office all day.

Cons

You have to be organized and work hard. You must be sharp and able to retain large amounts of information. I don't see these things as cons, however it seems a lot of people do.

Advice to Management

Always acknowledge successes no matter how small. Remember that the job of a digital sales expert is hard and stressful.

6. Digital Sales Executive

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company environment Benefits Employee Compensation Positive energy Start-up Mentality The company loves their employees, and they treat them very well. They're open minded, and want to see you succeed (because then they succeed too!). Really optimistic company outlook, and the vibe you get is that it's a company with a big, bright future and that they're set to be the superstars of the future. Very peppy, positive vibe in the company.

Cons

Aggressive cold calling required Bad reputation in community Disorganized internal systems Lots of cold calling and rejection, rejection, rejection. YP has 120 years of history - much of it bad blood with clients. My optimism definitely dampened when 2/5 people I talked to hung up the second I mentioned who I was with, and it seems there was almost a universally bad taste in the mouths of all potential clients who understood who we were.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, but really drill down to see how your sales team is making contact, and give them a good starting block. It's tough being told how your company are con artists all day or reaching enraged people who are livid that you contact them in the first place.

7. Account Executive- New Media

Former Employee - Account Executive New Media
    Former Employee - Account Executive New Media

I worked at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great starting sales job with little experience required -Full training in online, print, and direct mail advertising, a great place to cut your teeth and learn sales at an SMB and mid-market level -A large organization, with the perks laid out as such(PTO, matching 401k, corporate schwag, etc) -High pay for my time there(100k+ for performers, although position is unionized and pay can change based on collective bargaining) -Company spans US with 5k employees, you may travel for work, and will meet people from all over

Cons

-Company management is beyond dated, there are managers managing digital teams who don't understand the internet, much less how SEM, display, PPC, etc work -Organizational structure is dated, even as a high performer, chance of promotion is limited, with years in a seat beating out ability to perform and aptitude -There are a number of union employees who drag down morale and stay in their positions simply to secure pension payouts. This negativity damages the sales-floor, and can cause new talent to not mesh with the culture -Product performance was dismal- around 40-50% of accounts were under-performing

Advice to Management

-Phase out employees who are uninterested in the company values and are there for pension only(increase performance based metrics for legacy employees) -Find management who is technologically savvy, not who secured a position simply through virtue of tenure -Expand college hire programs -Perform product performance -Improve visibility into hierarchy, and provide employees a way to improve their own accounts

8. data analyst

Pros

Great place to work. Not much pressure.

Cons

The headquarter is too far away. HRs are super slow.

9. Need to Define Vision

I worked at YP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Understands the need to shift from Print to Digital.

Cons

Worry less about a possible IPO and focus more on what needs to be done.

10. Digital Sales Executive

Current Employee - Dse in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Dse in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

YP is a very large company that provides the opportunity to make a lot of money. You can gain a lot of relevant experience about SEM and Google AdWords campaigns, which looks great on a resume.

Cons

The company is growing too fast. They do not have enough resources to support the sales team, and set un-realistic goals. Management is very hands-on and fosters micro-managing. This can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Loosen the leash. By leading by fear, you are driving quality employees away. There's a reason for such a high employee churn rate.

11. Advertising Consultant

Current Employee - Account Executive in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Corona, CA

Pros

benefits and 401k plans are great. Once you ha been there long enough and come from sales background fairly easy to sell product. Vacations included after 1 year.

Cons

Changes and direction can at times be cumbersome.

RSS Feed </> Embed