YP

Updated Jun 26, 2014

YP CEO David Krantz

David Krantz

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

YP: Yes, Please! I will take that inflated bonus for the 4th year in succession!!

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros4 years later, still going strong, turning down SIlicon Valley recruiters on a weekly basis. Word among the recruiters is that they need to "pluck" people away from YP, A LOT of whom have served their previous DIGIAL ADVERTISING employers with distinction. A fair amount of managers at YP believe very strongly in a work-life balance and are willing to allow telecommuting, and flexible-hours capability: seek them out! HR and Facilities are working together to revamp the benefits, perks, and work environment - this is not your grandpa's YellowPages, and certainly not AT&T!

ConsThis is a big enough company - has its share of politics and favoritism. If you are initially unlucky to land in a "less than desirable" spot, worry not - soon enough several opportunities will arise internally allowing you to explore other avenues (provided, of course, you are good, and managers on both side of the transaction agree).

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the business owners, engineering managers, and product developers even more autonomy. Don't just NOT PUNISH risk-taking, in fact, ENCOURAGE & REWARD it (therein lies a message about risk-taking for you too); talk about what YP learned as a company from FAILED projects & initiatives. Executives need to focus ALL of their efforts on the following three - in that order:
    1. SALES EMPLOYEES (more/higher/faster incentives for doing the right thing)
    2. NON-SALES EMPLOYEES
    3. CUSTOMERS (Why are customers #3, you ask? Because they are #1 on the list for SALES & NON-SALES employees!)

there are some great people but revenue is based on profit margins of a print directory that is dying.

General Manager Sales (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsStrong leadership and knowledge of indudstry - both print and digital with a trajectrory for growth and continued parnerships.

Conscompensation is commessurate with results, and results are tied to objectives that are different for every level and in common job titles without consideration of geographic location.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your senior leaders more

New Media Outside Sales Rep

New Media (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsOn-going training, if you sell consistently you get paid well, benefits, gas, cell phone allowance, flexibility with your schedule, multiple products to sell. Contests, bonus money to be made if you meet your quota.

ConsLong hours invested to make a sale. Once you make a sale the process is long and tedious and too often mistakes are made by fulfillment. If a customer does not pay you will be charged back. Leads provided by company are weak, and have been worked over by tel reps, etc...most managers have never sold advertising and they don't know what they are doing or talking about. Union dues are too high and I don't feel they are worth it.
    Training is six long boring weeks that leave you more confused. A sales rep would be better off following an experienced sales rep in the field for six weeks than wasting the time in a classroom situation. A very politically run company, your either in or not. If you are liked you get extra perks and prizes are awarded to you even if you don't deserve them. A "good ol' boys" work mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers from within who have sold the products for a minimum of 2 years. How can a manager know how to sell, and understand the complexity of advertising if a manager has never done it. Every six months upper mgmt should ask all sales rep to give feedback on their managers pros and cons. If there are more cons, get rid of that manager. When products are not producing as well as projected, make something happen more quickly for the customer. Big turnover with customers, due to not working.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on what you are looking for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLaid back culture, you could come in and go as you please. Flex timings. Most people telecommute one or two days from home. Overall work life balance is good.

ConsNo technology innovations. Company is riding on its past products successes with absolutely no innovation. Management is almost always puzzled and trying to keep afloat. Sub-standard benefits compaired to some of the better companies in the bay. Absolutely no investment in employees. You could just stick around forever and never grow. Management is not really very smart. Overall culture is pretty passive and doesn't encourage much in terms of making things better. Not a motivating environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate and invest in your employees. Employee growth translates into company growth. There's really not much incentive to putting hard work, so most don't.

had a pleasant internship

Intern (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosit was a pleasure to work with the team

Consnothing i can think of

spent 3 years trying to help a dying horse

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat team, great hours, great pay, union job. The training was excellent and the tenured employees that came from Pacific Bell were all very friendly.

ConsSystems were outdated, demands from management were sometimes not realistic, new upper management didn't appreciate what we did, wouldn't even come to our office to meet us because he probably knew we would all be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing sucks!

opportunity for growth

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosgood work life balance. nice people

Conslong hours and crunch projects

Traditional company with a lot red tape

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros401K matching up to 5%, ability to telecommute at certain grade levels and job functions,

ConsLarge amounts of bureaucracy which ultimately causes delays in decisions. A hierarchical organization. Only a high deductible health insurance plan offered.

Parent/Owner Cerberus is running this company into the ground.

San Francisco, CA

ProsUnionized sales force, car allowance

ConsMicromanagement beyond the extreme, managers do not know the job functions of those they are supposed to manage. Professional sales consultants bogged down by clerical work and product fulfillment leaving very little actual selling time. Way too many unproductive meetings- more lost selling time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales managers need to learn the job of the sales reps. General managers need to be leaders, not task managers. Make sure your sales force is spending at least 90% of their time in front of customers- currently sales reps spend 20% selling and 80% meetings, fulfilling products and clerical work.

Feels like working at a startup.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI am learning a lot from my sales manager about outside sales and the advertising industry. I am meeting new business owners in the community and building a great network.

ConsIt is like working for survival. Turnover rate is high, so you must be dedicated to performing at the top of your game every day or else you'll fail and want to quit.

Worked for YP? Contribute to the Community!

YP Videos

YP – Why Work for Us?

YP is a group of Doers who help local businesses and communities grow which is proven by our Top 40 U.S. web and mobile property and the fact we are used by 70 million unique visitors each month. Our people are the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YP reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YP CEO David Krantz. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by YP employees.