YP Reviews

Reset
2.4
YP CEO David Krantz
David Krantz

Pros
  • Overall work life balance is good (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and work location (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • no diversity in upper management (in 24 reviews)

• Inconsistent goals for sales reps (in 20 reviews)

Media consultant

Current Employee - Media Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP

Pros

Good benefits good people to work advancement oportunties

Cons

All ways in emergency mode, insufficient training,

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals and be proactive not reactive. Need to change fulfillment process and pay reps more

Account representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people! Great benefits: medical/dental/vision, 401K, bonus around the beginning of the year isn't too bad. Paid time off is pretty standard, allows for good work/life balance. There are opportunities for advancement & move around the company

Cons

Micro-management, lack of trust & flexibility towards employee personal lives.

Advice to Management

Allow for more flexibility with your reps, the more they can balance their home/work life the better an employee they are able to be by being able to focus better at work.

Management truly does not care for the success of SMBs nor their own employees, just up the chain of command.

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at YP full-time

Pros

Union is a MUST, in order to keep management honest.

Cons

Management only cares about their bottom line revenue, and not the advertiser or the people who work for them. They will sell dreams to advertisers and not back the results up or do what's right for the customer. Let's face it, in today's world, there are so many mediums to advertise. If you choose YP, and if there's a problem..no one will take the time to fix it. Instead they want the reps to sell to a new customer to cover up the loss. Then, if you can't sell to a new customer, they make you go to more meetings, not realizing the reps have existing customers to take care of. There is no accountability when an account gets screwed up or if it doesn't work. Reps have to own all the problems, sales, follow ups, cold calling, paperwork, union issues, account mis-assignment, customer relations..and are held accountable for everything. While the managers nag reps for new customer funnels, forecasts, deadlines, performance. If you don't care about people and relationships, then YP is definitely a place to work. If you don't have ethics or a conscience, again, YP is the place to be! If you have a family, not a chance you would survive (as a new employee). This place does not truly care about anyone's well being. This is why the churn is so high, either the rep has been there so long, they don't know where to go next, or the good ones know better and quit.

Advice to Management

Learn to lead a team to success. Do the job, so you have an idea of what realistic looks like. Work as a team instead of dictating your desires in sales revenue. Shut up and listen.

YP Response

May 13, 2015 – Executive Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We'd like to direct you to our #MakeEveryDayLocal page that shares success stories of our customers. Please go to: www.MakeEveryDayLocal.com

YP "doesn't help" communities or small businesses grow.

Current Intern - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Free cheese sticks and mountain dew. Nice coworkers (some).

Cons

Like working at the DMV if the DMV was a digital advertising agency. Almost all new advertisers are unsatisfied in one way or another.

Advice to Management

Which of my 100 managers do I give the advice to? I don't know which one actually has the authority or courage to make a decision.

Yp is not what it used to be

Former Employee - Key Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Key Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base salary ok. Comp plan decent for top performers

Cons

Terrible product fulfillment. Hard to renew because of failing yellow pages and poor quality Internet products.

Advice to Management

Improve your product performance.

Outside Account Manager Advertising Consultant

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

San Francisco office, 13 years with the company. There is an attempt to change culture, which I respect, but the attempt to change culture is more of a function to get sales reps to believe in the products and to sell more vs a change in culture because is reflecting more of what is out in the marketplace. YP is a Google premier partner, meaning, we sell allot of adword programs. The only problem, is even with the new YP search program that was rolled out, they still don't do many of the Google recommended practices for a complete search program. What YP calls a landing page for SEM (which is actually a 3-5 page mini-website) is not what google calls a landing page which is a page that specifically addresses a concern of the search phrase. We do very subpar websites, they are not optimized in the way that Google recommends. The SEM programs show calls and some key word groups, but do not show what the spend is on a program. So, you might be billed 1000.00/mo for a program, and YP will only be spending 300.00 on the program with the rest being margin. My direct manager is amazing. I wish she would be my manager in wherever I go next. This is a union job, so there is some protection from upper management.

Cons

You will hear over and over, what we sell and what we actually give to customers are very different. Savvy customers often see our programs as drastically under performing and will stop paying, or are very very difficult to renew. There is almost no support, you are required to do much of the clerical and fulfillment work. Benefits are terrible. They used to be phenomenal, as of 1/1/15 the co-pays have drastically risen and are so high now, you are almost better off getting insurance off of the California Exchange. We are very behind the competition in our products. This is not for the timid at heart, this is a very difficult sale with products that are not very competitive. New money quota is very aggressive. This is a job for a hunter. Expect long hours because you do the cold calling, the purifying, product fulfillment and the followup. Commissions are not payed up front (they used to be), commission are slowly paid over the course of the year. If you leave early, you will lose the commission to the hard work you have done. I suggest asking pointed questions about commissions because what they say you CAN make and what reps are actually making is very different. If a product does not perform and the customer stops paying or a credit is given to the customer, you have to pay back commissions, even if the problem was a company fulfillment issue. This job is a good one for a college graduate getting experience, this is now an entry level job, not one for a tenured sales person.

Advice to Management

For upper management. Please, I beg of you, ask reps what the products need to look like so customers are happy with what they receive. I want to stay at this company for another 10 years, but I can't with what the products are now. Our goal should be to make products people want, not products that pump up YP's bottom line. That is a bad long term strategy.

Great Brand, Not So Great Compensation

Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, car allowance, benefits, company expenses, wide range of marketing products to offer clients, innovative company, and perks when hitting goals.

Cons

Sales compensation is not up-to-par as some of the other sales jobs out there. In order to really do well, you HAVE to sell to new businesses.

Advice to Management

Management has good potential although very cutthroat.

9. there are some great people but revenue is based on profit margins of a print directory that is dying.

Current Employee - General Manager Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership and knowledge of indudstry - both print and digital with a trajectrory for growth and continued parnerships.

Cons

compensation is commessurate with results, and results are tied to objectives that are different for every level and in common job titles without consideration of geographic location.

Advice to Management

Pay your senior leaders more

10. YP: Yes, Please! I will take that inflated bonus for the 4th year in succession!!

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4 years later, still going strong, turning down SIlicon Valley recruiters on a weekly basis. Word among the recruiters is that they need to "pluck" people away from YP, A LOT of whom have served their previous DIGIAL ADVERTISING employers with distinction. A fair amount of managers at YP believe very strongly in a work-life balance and are willing to allow telecommuting, and flexible-hours capability: seek them out! HR and Facilities are working together to revamp the benefits, perks, and work environment - this is not your grandpa's YellowPages, and certainly not AT&T!

Cons

This is a big enough company - has its share of politics and favoritism. If you are initially unlucky to land in a "less than desirable" spot, worry not - soon enough several opportunities will arise internally allowing you to explore other avenues (provided, of course, you are good, and managers on both side of the transaction agree).

Advice to Management

Allow the business owners, engineering managers, and product developers even more autonomy. Don't just NOT PUNISH risk-taking, in fact, ENCOURAGE & REWARD it (therein lies a message about risk-taking for you too); talk about what YP learned as a company from FAILED projects & initiatives. Executives need to focus ALL of their efforts on the following three - in that order: 1. SALES EMPLOYEES (more/higher/faster incentives for doing the right thing) 2. NON-SALES EMPLOYEES 3. CUSTOMERS (Why are customers #3, you ask? Because they are #1 on the list for SALES & NON-SALES employees!)

New Media Outside Sales Rep

Current Employee - New Media in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - New Media in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On-going training, if you sell consistently you get paid well, benefits, gas, cell phone allowance, flexibility with your schedule, multiple products to sell. Contests, bonus money to be made if you meet your quota.

Cons

Long hours invested to make a sale. Once you make a sale the process is long and tedious and too often mistakes are made by fulfillment. If a customer does not pay you will be charged back. Leads provided by company are weak, and have been worked over by tel reps, etc...most managers have never sold advertising and they don't know what they are doing or talking about. Union dues are too high and I don't feel they are worth it. Training is six long boring weeks that leave you more confused. A sales rep would be better off following an experienced sales rep in the field for six weeks than wasting the time in a classroom situation. A very politically run company, your either in or not. If you are liked you get extra perks and prizes are awarded to you even if you don't deserve them. A "good ol' boys" work mentality.

Advice to Management

Hire managers from within who have sold the products for a minimum of 2 years. How can a manager know how to sell, and understand the complexity of advertising if a manager has never done it. Every six months upper mgmt should ask all sales rep to give feedback on their managers pros and cons. If there are more cons, get rid of that manager. When products are not producing as well as projected, make something happen more quickly for the customer. Big turnover with customers, due to not working.

RSS Feed </> Embed