YP Tech Reviews

YP Tech Chief Executive Officer David Krantz
David Krantz

1. Great Company

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

Cares about its tech group very much.

Cons

Can communicate better to its employees

2. Engineering Manager

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people: There are some really awesome (both personally and professionally) people at YP (Glendale) who really do care about the company and the people. - Technology: There is some willingness to try new technologies, open source products, etc. - Culture: As compared to other companies I've worked in, the culture at YP rarely felt toxic - those that created the most toxicity are gone as fair as I know. Most people are at least content in their roles. - Location: If you're like me an have absolutely no interest in heading to the West Side (of LA), it's one of the better tech options available. -Compensation: As compared to a lot of companies in the immediate area, they pay pretty well. They have a decent bonus structure. - Hiring: It's not really that hard to get hired at YP, they're desperate. - Stability: I always felt somewhat stable there. You have to really mess up to get fired. I never wondered if I was going to come in to a layoff, or if pay roll was going to be made. The growth, especially in Sales, always seemed like a good sign. - The product: Yellowpages is an old brand and a house hold name. Summary: There are some really awful places to work in the LA area. If you're stagnant in a company whose stuck in antiquated technologies or methodologies, this is a good stepping stone to something better and will feel like a breath of fresh air.

Cons

- The people: As a counter point to the pro; there are too many at YP that have been their too long. Those who have are either jaded or lazy and either way feel to be coasting. They really need a changing of the guard so to speak. - Technology: While there's willingness to try newer things, the implementation doesn't always flesh out. They are extremely limited by their insane and outdated security policies, mostly due to hold overs from the AT&T days. They're terrified of anything "in the cloud" or "as a Service" which means they're constantly reinventing the wheel and makes it a nightmare for modern thinkers. There's a tenancy to jump on a new idea (buzz word - e.g. Docker, MesOS) and blindly move forward in a way that's comfortable, leaving a half in/half out feeling and a clunky end product. - Culture: When I left, this was generally positive, but in an overall downward trend. There's was a ton of attrition, which is both good and bad for this. Some of the best and worst people to work with were leaving in droves. It's really hard to say where the cultural feel is going to level out, but I don't have high hopes. - Location: I hate Glendale, the traffic sucks. But as I said, it's better than a lot of the alternatives. - Compensation: They can't afford top tier talent. Period. They Health Insurance is the worst I've personally seen (but I've heard of worse). - Stability: There's a lot of question with the future, they're in sink or swim mode for sure. There's challenges In the local search space in general, they're not killing it and are behind, in spite of having a strong brand to leverage. - Hiring: It's not really that hard to get hired at YP, they're desperate. - The product: Personally, I could care less about delivering/selling Ads. They're grasping at straws for new ideas and it's painful to watch. Summary: If you're at the top of your field, they can't afford you and you won't be happy there anyway. If you're use to modern startups or more progressive companies you'll hate life there.

Advice to Management

- The people: As many others have said, stop hiring your friends at the Sr Management/Executive level, especially those from failed or failing companies. - Technology: Fire the security team and replace them (at any cost) with top tier talent from the cloud space. Make a 5 year plan to get out of your own datacenters, the platforms and technologies are perfect for PaaS, you're wasting time and money in hosting and staffing your own operations. LWES is a failed experiment. It was a great idea at the time, but better solutions exist now, especially "as a Service". Put a lock down on non- billing related tracking. The amount of development and testing hours put in to tracking useless and unused data is astounding. It kills application performance and developer velocity and most of all morale. Stop thinking in millions when prioritizing feature adds, you're a billion dollar company, act like it. - Compensation: I heard time and again "we can't compete with Bay Area salaries". You have to! The Bay Area is starting to hire remote from all over the country/world, if you can't compete you'll be left with the dregs. RE Insurance, I'm guessing your hands are tied there, but it's just terrible. - Hiring: See compensation. See top tech company hiring practices. Don't settle.

media consultant

Current Employee - Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Media Consultant

I have been working at YP Tech full-time

Pros

Compensation. Vacation have a union

Cons

Travel unrealistic goals no respect

Started out great, now it's going in the wrong direction

I have been working at YP Tech full-time

Pros

Free snacks, location, and 3 weeks vacation time. Work-life balance is pretty good. Most people (non-management) are pretty cool to work with and are very talented at what they do.

Cons

Upper management is not organized, has no strategy, and caters to whatever the sales team wants. They tend to hire their old pals from Yahoo/Overture. The culture of your team is really dependent on your manager. If you have a good manager, that's great. If not, have fun figuring out what they like and what they don't like.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your buddies from Yahoo/Overture. Obviously the retreads you're hiring aren't really helping growth of the company. It's sad that you can't see that.

Us Vs Them

Current Employee - New Media in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - New Media in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice iPAD and you get your miles paid. But, when the new union contract is ready. Look to get 1/2 in commissions, lower miles and vacation time. If you like being treated like a number and belittled and yelled at. Then this is the place for you!

Cons

Legacy employees look down on you. Management, especially the legacy ones from the old days are horrid. All they do is talk about the good old days and tell you how replaceable you are. My one manager would come in late from "surfing" or would leave for hours and not be reachable. Then suddenly appear with a "coke" high or smell of booze or verbally threatens you. He'd been there for decades and still didn't know how to use the current software. He would rather just go play ping pong with the other managers and just yell at you to make himself feel big then manage his people effectively. He needs to be fired. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY UNTIL IS SOLD Next Year....Current local Management and certain legacy employees are law suits waiting to happen. Go work for Web.com or DEX.com.....You will be happier

Advice to Management

This is more for Cerebus. I know you are getting ready to sell the company next year or the following year. But, what you need to do is FIRE anyone in the company that has been there for the last 10yrs. You won't get rid of the old problems unless you get rid of the legacy employees. They are the true root of the problems. Who cares about their contacts. They can be easily taken up by newer and hungrier employees. BTW: Your product training is a joke. Why do you have such a dichotomy of employees? 17 yr term and 1 to 2yr and barely no employees that have been there in between? This is going to be your downfall and what contributes to the US Vs. THEM feelings in the ranks. Stop mistreating your new employees and stop older employees from bullying the new. You need to fire the older legacy management. They are just phoning it in and resent the younger,newer more intelligent employees that are being hired on to take on the new digital products.

Shady Company! Death to your tech career and mental health

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

The unhealthy snacks maybe. None really

Cons

The management has no integrity and does not support innovation. Customer growth has been declining while the management worries about whether their presentations has the right bullet points! Stifling place to work in and pretty much there will be roadblocks from management to get anything done. They fire great talent at any whim or great talent gets frustrated and leaves. The company was better when it was part AT&T, atleast not shady. Management is downright dishonest, managers bully their teams and the HR turns a blind eye. It is not a culture of critical thinking and solving problems but more about brown-nosing and hiring your friends. People are underpaid while few select folks have fat bonuses/payouts. Very toxic environment and not a good place for anyone's career. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Get some integrity and support innovation.Invest in culture, growing employees and have managers get out of their way as they add value.

Don't get your hopes up

I worked at YP Tech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks! Somewhat flexible hours depending on your boss. Fun people to work with...when they aren't in a bad mood.

Cons

I think it's funny that YP created this separate YP Tech company here to try to give you a better idea of how "great" the company is. Sales, tech, or corporate it's still one company. Over over the past few months there have been several executive changes (fired, resigned, and forced to resign) so there had been no leadership and no product strategy for quite some time. Engineering has no autonomy in what they can do here. No focus, no vision. Who knows what the hell is going on here.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring all your friends - obviously it's not working out. Enough with the executive turnover. Stop trying to be trendy and listen to what your employees are telling you.

Nothing Short of Amazing!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

YP is transforming how we do things and quickly learned it starts by cultivating and empowering our employees. The new focus for YP is about building up collaboration and innovation. There is a new sense of pride and purpose and we are taking things to new levels.

Cons

Transition from AT&T Interactive had some challenges but most of that is in the past.

really the new way to do? you decide.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company in transition, with a great legacy and foundation. Has all the key ingredients for success: -a noble mission -a culture that is increasingly practicing not just talking about "open-door policies" and "flattened organizational structure" -innovation and new ways of doing things encouraged and fostered -energized grass roots -lots of very smart people -leadership with vision, tenacity, and will to succeed -micro management the exception in my experience -a healthy sense that its not easy to be in transition or effect lasting change by people up and down, and increasingly across the org - marketing slogans: "new way to do" and "YP can do that!" becoming real inside as well as out with a solid strategy and tactics to address the gaps - free snack program, .25 sodas, Peet's Coffee "Robo-ristas (automated free coffee machines), casual dress, flexible hours, subsidized barista Monday's, and avenue-C on site premium drinks, snacks and meal options, standing desks -working with an incredible group of professionals who know how to work hard, smart, and have fun doing it. -part of a growing thriving new Glendale, CA tech scene.

Cons

A company in transition (might also be a pro): - this can be messy - CEO regularly says, YP "not a place for the faint of heart" Not there yet in the transition. Challenging / Complex Business (also might be a pro): - evolving from print to digital business - two sets of vastly different customers: consumers (task: figure out how to provide a little bit of free value to huge pool of people) and advertisers (task: provide tons of value to a smaller pool of people for as much as they're willing to pay). Obviously there is always room or improvement, but the opportunities to surface issues in a constructive way are abundant and Glass Door Cons almost not necessary from my perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep creating at YP an environment of intrinsic equality, personal development, and self-direction. Keep us on the path from good to great. Don't declare victory too soon.

11. Awesome People, Fun Times, Doing Important Work That Helps A Lot Of People.

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

YP Tech is a company that does important work. It encourages employees to contribute meaningfully via hackathons and projects, has a lot of fun, and has also has created a culture that makes all of this possible.

Cons

This is a company with ambitious goals that has a lot that they want to do, and sometimes the growing pains are still evident.

Advice to Management

Continue fostering the culture that fosters employee ownership, participation, and innovation.

RSS Feed </> Embed