YP Tech Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
4.6

YP Tech Chief Executive Officer David Krantz
David Krantz

Nothing Short of Amazing!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

YP is transforming how we do things and quickly learned it starts by cultivating and empowering our employees. The new focus for YP is about building up collaboration and innovation. There is a new sense of pride and purpose and we are taking things to new levels.

Cons

Transition from AT&T Interactive had some challenges but most of that is in the past.

really the new way to do? you decide.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company in transition, with a great legacy and foundation. Has all the key ingredients for success:
    -a noble mission
    -a culture that is increasingly practicing not just talking about "open-door policies" and "flattened organizational structure"
    -innovation and new ways of doing things encouraged and fostered
    -energized grass roots
    -lots of very smart people
    -leadership with vision, tenacity, and will to succeed
    -micro management the exception in my experience
    -a healthy sense that its not easy to be in transition or effect lasting change by people up and down, and increasingly across the org
    - marketing slogans: "new way to do" and "YP can do that!" becoming real inside as well as out with a solid strategy and tactics to address the gaps
    - free snack program, .25 sodas, Peet's Coffee "Robo-ristas (automated free coffee machines), casual dress, flexible hours, subsidized barista Monday's, and avenue-C on site premium drinks, snacks and meal options, standing desks
    -working with an incredible group of professionals who know how to work hard, smart, and have fun doing it.
    -part of a growing thriving new Glendale, CA tech scene.

Cons

A company in transition (might also be a pro):
    - this can be messy
    - CEO regularly says, YP "not a place for the faint of heart"

Not there yet in the transition.

Challenging / Complex Business (also might be a pro):
    - evolving from print to digital business
    - two sets of vastly different customers: consumers (task: figure out how to provide a little bit of free value to huge pool of people) and advertisers (task: provide tons of value to a smaller pool of people for as much as they're willing to pay).

Obviously there is always room or improvement, but the opportunities to surface issues in a constructive way are abundant and Glass Door Cons almost not necessary from my perspective.

Keep creating at YP an environment of intrinsic equality, personal development, and self-direction. Keep us on the path from good to great. Don't declare victory too soon.

A great balance between corporate and startup culture.

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for more than a year

Pros

I see other reviewers mention complaints about their management. I can not speak for them but my chain of command are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I say work with because I never feel like I am working for someone.

- Great personalities, some of the brightest from all over the world work here
    - Great new emphasis on company culture and keeping employees engaged
    - Comfortable office building with a lot to do besides siting/standing at a desk
    - Good benefits and pay
    - The CEO and CTO always make sure they are seen around the office and both have been approachable and personable in my interactions with them

Cons

Personal growth can be delayed or seem stunted at times. Not at fault of the company but there could be more transparency with employees about what their career path may look like at YP. Also I am aware that their compensation teeters on the lower side of industry standards but the trade off is an amazing workplace.

Keep up the good work, and help all employees understand the products we are putting out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome People, Fun Times, Doing Important Work That Helps A Lot Of People.

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

YP Tech is a company that does important work. It encourages employees to contribute meaningfully via hackathons and projects, has a lot of fun, and has also has created a culture that makes all of this possible.

Cons

This is a company with ambitious goals that has a lot that they want to do, and sometimes the growing pains are still evident.

Continue fostering the culture that fosters employee ownership, participation, and innovation.

Exciting times!

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been working for YP for six years, and I can honestly say it's one of the best places I've worked for. People are super smart, leadership is switched on, well run company, culture is awesome!

Cons

Benefits are not as good as they used to be, but that's the same across the board of most companies today.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Innovative and Fun

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee Engagement is very important to our Leadership Team. It is a very vibrant and fun working environment. The SLT care about keeping good talent. We are constantly doing what it takes to keep up with the competative tech market in Los Angeles. We continue to hire good people that are making a huge difference in the direction the company is headed!

Cons

It's been a slow go at getting here but we are closer than we have ever been to competing with the gorillas in the marketplace.

Keep up the good work!

Work/Life Balance and Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been here for a few months, and this has been one of the best decisions I have made... for both my professional career and my personal life. From a professional aspect, we are working on large infrastructures and solving real problems and providing solutions to business across america. The culture in the LA Office is upbeat with about 500 in staff. They host meetups monthly, hold quarterly hackathons, and most of the technical staff contributes to the Open Source community. From a personal life decision, my work hours are normal and I have more time to spend with my family and other interests. YP believes in it's staff and being able to not feel under-resourced at work is awesome!

Cons

Keep doing what you are doing!

Our CTO org is filled with the best and brightest. The leadership is incredibly qualified and real drivers of the business

Unless you are an intern or new in business this place is not for you

Former Employee - Director  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Almost nothing. Few good guys around. Sometimes tries to prove itself as a tech start up, which it is not. All the other five ratings you have seen should be either the recruiter or the C level managers themselves!!

Cons

Printed Yellowpages has bleak future. The search engine version is weak to compete with larger organizations like google. Management has no idea about the future. C level management has no value outside this job.

No point giving advice.

don't be fooled this is the same company as YP, which has 2.6 stars

I have been working at YP Tech full-time

Pros

401k is 5%, workspace is pleasent

Cons

They are posting their jobs under this listing because their reviews are so bad on their real listing. This dishonesty was prevalent in their interviewing, offer and on boarding process. Free food is scarce and crappy selection.

Upper management cannot manage down, indecisive - creates busy work.

YP Tech Response

Sep 10, 2014Talent Acquisition

@don’t be fooled,

YP Tech has been making great strides in creating a culture that positions YP as an employer of choice in Southern CA. This new Glassdoor listing allows for reviews that are
    ... More

Great people, poor management, lots of turnover

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Glendale, CA

I worked at YP Tech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Sharp engineering team who are focused on making a difference
    - Awesome snack program to keep you fueled throughout the day
    - Good location if you don't want to work on the "west side"
    - Competitive salaries; decent benefits
    - Good work/life balance (typical 9 to 6 work hours)

Cons

- Cramped space
    - Revolving door/lots of turnover (for years, now)
    - Sneaky politics
    - Too much emphasis on MyBook (it's not enough to save the digital focus of the company)

Have some integrity/quit the sneaky politics and quit feuding with HQ (in Atlanta, GA.)

Worked for YP Tech? Contribute to the Community!