YP Tech

Updated February 6, 2015
3.2

YP Tech Chief Executive Officer David Krantz
David Krantz

Nothing Short of Amazing!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

YP is transforming how we do things and quickly learned it starts by cultivating and empowering our employees. The new focus for YP is about building up collaboration and innovation. There is a new sense of pride and purpose and we are taking things to new levels.

Cons

Transition from AT&T Interactive had some challenges but most of that is in the past.

Started out great, now it's going in the wrong direction

I have been working at YP Tech full-time

Pros

Free snacks, location, and 3 weeks vacation time. Work-life balance is pretty good. Most people (non-management) are pretty cool to work with and are very talented at what they do.

Cons

Upper management is not organized, has no strategy, and caters to whatever the sales team wants. They tend to hire their old pals from Yahoo/Overture. The culture of your team is really dependent on your manager. If you have a good manager, that's great. If not, have fun figuring out what they like and what they don't like.

Stop hiring your buddies from Yahoo/Overture. Obviously the retreads you're hiring aren't really helping growth of the company. It's sad that you can't see that.

Us Vs Them

Current Employee - New Media in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - New Media in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice iPAD and you get your miles paid. But, when the new union contract is ready. Look to get 1/2 in commissions, lower miles and vacation time.
    If you like being treated like a number and belittled and yelled at. Then this is the place for you!

Cons

Legacy employees look down on you. Management, especially the legacy ones from the old days are horrid. All they do is talk about the good old days and tell you how replaceable you are. My one manager would come in late from "surfing" or would leave for hours and not be reachable. Then suddenly appear with a "coke" high or smell of booze or verbally threatens you. He'd been there for decades and still didn't know how to use the current software. He would rather just go play ping pong with the other managers and just yell at you to make himself feel big then manage his people effectively. He needs to be fired.
    DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY UNTIL IS SOLD Next Year....Current local Management and certain legacy employees are law suits waiting to happen. Go work for Web.com or DEX.com.....You will be happier

This is more for Cerebus. I know you are getting ready to sell the company next year or the following year. But, what you need to do is FIRE anyone in the company that has been there for the last 10yrs. You won't get rid of the old problems unless you get rid of the legacy employees. They are the true root of the problems. Who cares about their contacts. They can be easily taken up by newer and hungrier employees.
    BTW: Your product training is a joke. Why do you have such a dichotomy of employees? 17 yr term and 1 to 2yr and barely no employees that have been there in between? This is going to be your downfall and what contributes to the US Vs. THEM feelings in the ranks. Stop mistreating your new employees and stop older employees from bullying the new. You need to fire the older legacy management. They are just phoning it in and resent the younger,newer more intelligent employees that are being hired on to take on the new digital products.

Shady Company! Death to your tech career and mental health

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

The unhealthy snacks maybe. None really

Cons

The management has no integrity and does not support innovation. Customer growth has been declining while the management worries about whether their presentations has the right bullet points! Stifling place to work in and pretty much there will be roadblocks from management to get anything done. They fire great talent at any whim or great talent gets frustrated and leaves. The company was better when it was part AT&T, atleast not shady. Management is downright dishonest, managers bully their teams and the HR turns a blind eye. It is not a culture of critical thinking and solving problems but more about brown-nosing and hiring your friends. People are underpaid while few select folks have fat bonuses/payouts. Very toxic environment and not a good place for anyone's career. Stay away!

Get some integrity and support innovation.Invest in culture, growing employees and have managers get out of their way as they add value.

Don't get your hopes up

I worked at YP Tech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free snacks! Somewhat flexible hours depending on your boss. Fun people to work with...when they aren't in a bad mood.

Cons

I think it's funny that YP created this separate YP Tech company here to try to give you a better idea of how "great" the company is. Sales, tech, or corporate it's still one company. Over over the past few months there have been several executive changes (fired, resigned, and forced to resign) so there had been no leadership and no product strategy for quite some time. Engineering has no autonomy in what they can do here. No focus, no vision. Who knows what the hell is going on here.

Stop hiring all your friends - obviously it's not working out. Enough with the executive turnover. Stop trying to be trendy and listen to what your employees are telling you.

Real Glassdoor Profile is YP

I worked at YP Tech full-time

Pros

Free snacks but not very healthy ones

Cons

Poor, non-technical, top-heavy culture. Benefits sub-par for a tech company

flatten and empower

really the new way to do? you decide.

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company in transition, with a great legacy and foundation. Has all the key ingredients for success:
    -a noble mission
    -a culture that is increasingly practicing not just talking about "open-door policies" and "flattened organizational structure"
    -innovation and new ways of doing things encouraged and fostered
    -energized grass roots
    -lots of very smart people
    -leadership with vision, tenacity, and will to succeed
    -micro management the exception in my experience
    -a healthy sense that its not easy to be in transition or effect lasting change by people up and down, and increasingly across the org
    - marketing slogans: "new way to do" and "YP can do that!" becoming real inside as well as out with a solid strategy and tactics to address the gaps
    - free snack program, .25 sodas, Peet's Coffee "Robo-ristas (automated free coffee machines), casual dress, flexible hours, subsidized barista Monday's, and avenue-C on site premium drinks, snacks and meal options, standing desks
    -working with an incredible group of professionals who know how to work hard, smart, and have fun doing it.
    -part of a growing thriving new Glendale, CA tech scene.

Cons

A company in transition (might also be a pro):
    - this can be messy
    - CEO regularly says, YP "not a place for the faint of heart"

Not there yet in the transition.

Challenging / Complex Business (also might be a pro):
    - evolving from print to digital business
    - two sets of vastly different customers: consumers (task: figure out how to provide a little bit of free value to huge pool of people) and advertisers (task: provide tons of value to a smaller pool of people for as much as they're willing to pay).

Obviously there is always room or improvement, but the opportunities to surface issues in a constructive way are abundant and Glass Door Cons almost not necessary from my perspective.

Keep creating at YP an environment of intrinsic equality, personal development, and self-direction. Keep us on the path from good to great. Don't declare victory too soon.

A great balance between corporate and startup culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I see other reviewers mention complaints about their management. I can not speak for them but my chain of command are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I say work with because I never feel like I am working for someone.

- Great personalities, some of the brightest from all over the world work here
    - Great new emphasis on company culture and keeping employees engaged
    - Comfortable office building with a lot to do besides siting/standing at a desk
    - Good benefits and pay
    - The CEO and CTO always make sure they are seen around the office and both have been approachable and personable in my interactions with them

Cons

Personal growth can be delayed or seem stunted at times. Not at fault of the company but there could be more transparency with employees about what their career path may look like at YP. Also I am aware that their compensation teeters on the lower side of industry standards but the trade off is an amazing workplace.

Keep up the good work, and help all employees understand the products we are putting out.

Awesome People, Fun Times, Doing Important Work That Helps A Lot Of People.

I have been working at YP Tech

Pros

YP Tech is a company that does important work. It encourages employees to contribute meaningfully via hackathons and projects, has a lot of fun, and has also has created a culture that makes all of this possible.

Cons

This is a company with ambitious goals that has a lot that they want to do, and sometimes the growing pains are still evident.

Continue fostering the culture that fosters employee ownership, participation, and innovation.

Exciting times!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at YP Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been working for YP for six years, and I can honestly say it's one of the best places I've worked for. People are super smart, leadership is switched on, well run company, culture is awesome!

Cons

Benefits are not as good as they used to be, but that's the same across the board of most companies today.

Keep doing what you're doing!