YRC Freight
www.yrc.com Akron, OH 5000+ Employees

YRC Freight Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014
YRC Freight – Carlisle – “View of the one side of the terminal”

James Welch

Pros:
  • "excellent pay and benefits Union Contract"
    in 9 reviews
  • "good pay and they work with your schedule"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management continues to make decisions which benefit themselves only"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Dealing with union staff, layoffs, long long hours"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thought it was going to be good for me, but not so much after 3 days...

Dock Supervisor (Former Employee)
Carlisle, PA

I worked at YRC Freight full-time for less than a year

ProsVery decent base salary for Dock Supervisor position, an overall good group of unionized Dock Workers to manager and oversee, a decent amount of room for advancement even to other areas and terminal hubs around the country, great benefits offered after 30 days of hire, as a supervisor you work 5 days a week and off 2, your day moves by pretty fast on any given day as a supervisor, great work environment, but the position as a Dock Supervisor turned out to not be for me...it's for some and not everyone for sure

ConsLong days and hours, no overtime at all as a supervisor or manager, high-stressed work environment with a higher level of noise and smells (i.e. electric fork lift propane fumes, diesel truck fumes, etc.), heard it can take a while to advance within management, but is possible to move up, the Dock Supervisor position is pretty difficult and takes a certain kind of personality to be successful in

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you bring in a new hire for Dock Supervisor, especially someone as myself who had no previous transportation/dock experience, have a well-planned training schedule set up for the employee and not just have the employee walk around and learn visually. YRC Freight is a good company overall, but they have no training for someone coming into the Dock Supervisor role. They do offer an Operations Trainee position that trains one for the dock and other areas, I believe, but I was selected for the Dock Supervisor position and honestly the training was not great at all. I would suggest to management to train your new Dock Supervisors better and have someone (whether a manager or supervisor) showing them the basics first, then some formal videos and/or training book work, and then taking the person out on the dock to have them apply the operations of the terminal from what they've learned. I understand that this position isn't for "everyone", but I believe more people like myself would stay with the company if things were set up a little better to train someone for the position and not just have them walk around and follow a supervisor.

The company has been shrinking since I started here

Combo Driver/Dock (Current Employee)
Portland, ME

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay & benefits, lots of jobs home every day with weekends off

ConsUsually takes awhile to work into a full time regular schedule. You don't always have a choice of the type of work you like to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees more for cost saving ideas

It was an eye opening experience

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at YRC Freight full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work place with great people

ConsDid not enjoy the hours

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A sinking ship

Dock Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time for more than a year

Pros+Great management experience you will never learn in college.
+Gain insight about the union and teamsters.
+Fast paced and chaotic. A good challenge if you appreciate one.

Cons-Many teamsters are some of the most negative, lazy people you will ever meet. Half of them care about the company, the other half does not. They have a reason to be upset (loss of pension, pay cut), but their sour attitude towards work and local management are childish and unreasonable. It is difficult to get the most simple things done unless you play their "seniority" games. I have great respect for the ones who actually earn their pay, but some of them don't even deserve a minimum paycheck. Letters and accountability do not work. Many supervisors they do not like have been chased out. Turnover for management is crazy high, it is comical. Fortunately, I get along with the majority of teamsters, but some people will always be a thorn in your side.

-12 hours shifts, but most of the time I don't even get a break. Too many reports to type and things to plan. I don't mind walking and working 12 hours straight, but it is mentality exhausting to deal with the most inane teamster complaints the entire time.

-Unrealistic goals are set by upper management. Guys in suit and ties who have no idea how difficult it is to work the floor. These goals are nearly impossible to meet because the company is so cheap, they cannot get us enough equipment to even meet these goals. Many forklifts are too old, unsafe. The company is so poor, some trailers with holes in the roof are being used. A severe lack of deckbars means the customer freight is being damaged or cannot be serviced.

-The company almost closed its doors a few months ago, the outlook is bleak, and loss of customers is rampant. Planning by upper management is nearly braindead, not enough people are even scheduled or hired to even service the customer. 1 hard working casual replaces 2 average teamsters.

-Poor financial control, the company relies too much on paying overtime to senior teamsters who run less than 2bph moving one timers. It is strange, to say the least.

-Ultimately, the pay is competitive, but when you consider the ridiculous problems you encounter in a union environment, is it really worth it? 80% of the issues you deal with would not even exist in a non-union environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not understand how we can even compete with Old Dominion or Conway. Invest in new equipment and better freight software. Please give us the tools to do our jobs right. Show people in lower management and teamsters that you actually care about them.

Stagnant.

Dock Supervisor (Current Employee)
Burnsville, MN

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat schedule, Good local "upper" management, if you are knowledgable and motivated you will be rewarded, did I say great schedule.

ConsNo 401k, make up majority of PTO days to cover other supervisors, can't count on having holidays off, 2008 since any form of a raise, Teamsters can be difficult to work with.

Went through the change from Roadway to YRC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at YRC Freight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt was great at the time it was just Roadway. They had great Ops Management, HR/LR Professionals and a fantastic training Department.

ConsWhen YRC (Yellow Freight) got involved the entire company methodology changed. I got out of there before many of the changes but it will not work.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the importance of the individuals that are working for you.

YRC job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at YRC Freight

ProsSteady work but long hours

ConsUnion workers make the job hard

Good starting off job if wanting to learn about transportation and logistics

Operations Trainee (Current Employee)
Richland, MS

I have been working at YRC Freight part-time for less than a year

Prosgood pay and they work with your schedule

Conslong hours no planning and baby sitting grown ups

Advice to Senior Managementbetter planning

entertaining

Driver Sales (Former Employee)
West Valley City, UT

I worked at YRC Freight full-time for more than 10 years

Prosexcellent pay and benefits Union Contract

Consno communication between management and labor, micro-managed from top down.

Advice to Senior Managementempower your front line workers share more information with them, quit trying to reinvent the wheel

decent.

Checker/Dock Worker (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at YRC Freight part-time

Prosflexible on hours. work until work is completed.

Cons15% pay cut is really evident after pay.

Advice to Senior Managementstop with the mergers.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for YRC Freight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YRC Freight reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YRC Freight CEO James Welch. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by YRC Freight employees.