YRC Worldwide

Be The First To
Add Photos

YRC Worldwide CEO & Director James L. Welch

James L. Welch

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, decent compensation"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Union benefits paid weekly health INS"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management is oblivious of your existence"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Long hours and varying schedules"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I love my job, I just wish I made more.

Super Resolver (Current Employee)
Cheektowaga, NY

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly atmosphere, great upper managment.
Room for advancement, but is somewhat limited.

ConsVery low pay for what other companies offer

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to raise pay rate for permanent employees. Everyone is hired as a temporary employee making $11.50 an hour. They hint at the idea that you will get a raise going from temporary to permanent after the 6 month wait period, but you do not get a raise. I got a promotion and am now making $12.99/hour and found out there is another company that offers $16 starting rate for the entry level position. I love my job but the pay rate is making me look for work elsewhere.

Lots of people who know nothing about trucking

Linehaul-Over the Road Driver (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time for less than a year

ProsTeamster union....There is nothing positive here at all. ..

ConsBenefit have been cut....it now takes 4 years for 1 year on pension

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a owner operator in charge

Temporary employee in accounts receivable.

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee)
Cheektowaga, NY

I worked at YRC Worldwide as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsManagement is clueless and overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a dictionary.

Yellow and Roadway were better seperate.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRoadway's customer service was local and wonderful to work with on daily situations. The drivers were engaged with the reps and during driver meetings.

ConsNot having customer service local has hinder YRC. Also mergering the sales teams together hurt the brand, people lost confidence. The bonue structure was set up where you could never make bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customer service people, sales reps and drivers. They have their ear to the ground.

Solid experience at YRC.

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

ProsGood people. Everyone gets together for lunch and after work. Good camaraderie. Good pay for the area. standard benefits. Good CEO. Good work life balance.

Consdoesn't look like the company will have money to spend on raises. doesn't look like the company will have money to spend on new services, promotion, capital, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a more clear career path for employees to follow

Harrasment

Dock Worker (Former Employee)
West Valley City, UT

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUnion benefits paid weekly health INS

ConsTaking from employees and always asking for more

Lots of politics

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe technologies side is organized and you get to learn a bit

ConsSalary is low, the industry is always shaky, directors and above think they are better than everybody else (and most of them are not that smart), lots of politics (more who you know than what do you know to get a promotion).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not that great and there are lots of better people out there, so stop acting like you are better than everybody else.

City Driver

City Drover (Current Employee)
Wheeling, IL

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

ProsUnion representation w/health care coverage that can't be beat.

ConsTerrible senior management, bordering on bankruptcy, company is a sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementTie bonuses to profitability (what a concept), have one bonus structure in place for the whole company top to bottom. Stop recycling previously fired managers.

End was not good

Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago Park, CA

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWages were ok, nothinmg to write home about

ConsManagement was bad, workers were worse

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue nad get rid of union

It is a tough call...

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time

ProsThere is a very real sense among many employees to work hard, focus, give 100%, and be proud to be a part of the huge attempt to turn the company around. The job itself is very interesting and despite the numerous cons, I actually enjoy my job. I do not enjoy the cons and problems that have been abundant and continuous, but I enjoy the interaction with all of the teams and the general focus to get the job done, do it right, and fix whatever mistakes were made. There are a great many people who work very hard, at this company.

ConsThe company allows a significant amount of bullying, both by co-workers and management. There are so many things said and done that would not be tolerated at other companies. Favoritism is abundant, where individual members of the same team are given vastly different amounts of work from each other. A few years ago, job descriptions were revamped, causing many positions to be so vaguely described, that anyone could be hired for the job. This allowed for hiring of team members with no experience into the same level as individuals with experience, despite there being a position just below the others, which would allow for the new person to learn and grow. Salaried employees are given one week less time PTO than hourly, yet work many more hours. The excuse provided is that salaried employees can take time off when they are sick, etc. without using PTO. This has not been the case for many salaried employees, leaving some to wonder if everyone is treated equally. Salaried employees are advised they have to make up their time, if going to a doctor appointment, etc., despite putting in well over 50-60 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to train your teams on consistency, so that employees are treated the same. Ensure that first line management teams understand HR rules, laws, and guidelines. Do not assume because someone read a guide on equality or etiquette, that the person truly understands what either mean. Review the PTO policies so that salaried employees are treated equally by their managers, if one member is allowed time off without taking PTO, all members of the same team should be allowed the same time off, for the same reason. Ensure all managers understand the legalities and rules of supervising salaried employees.

Worked for YRC Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YRC Worldwide reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YRC Worldwide CEO James L. Welch. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by YRC Worldwide employees.