YRC Worldwide Reviews

Updated August 30, 2014
2.8

YRC Worldwide CEO & Director James L. Welch
James L. Welch

Pros
  • Good benefits, decent compensation (in 6 reviews)

• they benefits are great,graet chances of moving up in the company,conviniently located in marietta (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is oblivious of your existence (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management does not communicate nor ask for employee input (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good money, no life

Former Employee - Dockworker  in  San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Dockworker in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working here was great at first until Roadway merged with Yellow freight and turned the place upside down. I worked here for seven years and after the merger was layed off (not enough seniorty) You would think after seven years of service that would amount to something.

Cons

If you get a job here you can say goodbye to your life. You will be on call for years and must be ready to work at any time of the day or night. There are five daily shifts and you will work probably three different shifts per week and guess what, if they don't call one day congrats you just had a day off sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. Good Luck!!!!

Happy employees make good employees!!!

Customer Care

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Money to start off with, quick pay raises as well. Management was good to work with. Location was ideal.

Cons

Training plans-made a transition and added a new entity which required a lot of overtime and a lot of people waiting impatiently for a long period of time

They waste all of their money!

Current Employee - Road Driver  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Road Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When it is good, it is really good. The flow of freight keeps you on your toes and keeps you wallet filled.

Cons

Freight slowly decreasing, company falling apart. Very poor upper management. Sneeky back door deals and corrupt politics. They want the drivers to take pay cuts while the upper people still make millions! Heaven forbid they lose $100 a yr on budget cutbacks! The biggest con is there are non cdl qualified people that "tell you how to do your job"!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

YRCW begins with hope and ends in disappointment

Former Employee - Applications Analyst II  in  North Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst II in North Akron, OH

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Union Workers held in high esteem.

Cons

Salaried staff bears the brunt of Company's down sizing with no pay raises or reductions in salary in exchange for more responsibilities. If you don't live near their headquarters in Overland park, KS then you have little job security.

Cost controls can be penny wise and pound foolish when you consolidate staff positions at their headquarters (KS) reduces the company's overall effectiveness due to the loss of experience from other regional locations. Specialized skills are lost in centralization of staff in KS with an associated loss of more advanced Business Intelligence initiatives.

More Hostile Than Necessary

Former Employee - Regional Coordinator  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Regional Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at YRC Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Pay was excellent. Working at and with the terminals was fun.

Cons

The corporate atmosphere was very hostile. Mistakes were not allowed, every detail was micromanaged. People were micromanaged at the corporate level. If you weren't the type of person who would walk all over your coworkers to please the bosses, they didn't want you. I saw good people turn hostile just because they feared of losing their jobs. Numbers were always being played with. People did not matter to them. Only money.

You'd get better results from your employees and your drivers if you treated them better. Care about something other than just money and maybe you wouldn't be so poorly managed.

Competitive pay but towards end a very stressful company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at YRC Worldwide

Pros

Competitive pay. Former Roadway leadership was competent.Vacation was good under Roadway management.

Cons

Very stressful. Senior Yellow Freight management couldn't be trusted. Poor communication between cross country departments and from Yellow management.

Because of bad upper management decisions, destroyed a good company (Roadway), its employees and status in community.

This place is a mess

Current Employee - Dock Supervisor  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dock Supervisor in Columbus, OH

I have been working at YRC Worldwide

Pros

Great co-workers!!! Could actually be a decent job with right upper management.

Cons

Senior management. These guys are a joke! Micro- managed by people who leave their office once a day and think they actually know how to do your job. Low moral.

Get lost. Hire some real upper management.

Okay while it lasted

Former Employee - Dock Worker  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Dallas, TX

I worked at YRC Worldwide

Pros

Casual dock you got to make your own schedule

Cons

Management sucked the entire time there

Start at the bottom an rebuild throughout the top.

the good, the bad, to now the ugly job of rebuilding

Current Employee - Driver/Dock Worker  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Driver/Dock Worker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at YRC Worldwide

Pros

Fair wage even after wage concessions, good insurance program. The tractors for city operation are mostly retired line haul units. All of the drivers will argue the good, and the bad part of them, but, they are still better than the units of the past.

Cons

The truly lack of leadership from the supervisor. They know when someone is messing up and damaging our customers freight but look the other way. Then they have the nerve to come up to you, and say you have to pick up the pace to make up the difference. Also, the city dispatch says to call in after every 4th stop, and they don't answer the phone.You leave a message, then they call you back and jump all over you for not calling in. You tell them you left a message, and after a few more negative comments about your performance they admit they don't know how to receive their messages left on the voice mail. Besides, they say they don't have time.

Please look into why we have so many failed time criticals. Also, why does line hall show up in late afternoon with it? Please look into a way us dark terminals have access to what is picked up and en route to our location so we can plan ahead, to better serve our customers. Instead of making a change of operations, why in the world can't we fix our roofs on most of our trailers. Why are they even being loaded on when they can clearly see the holes in them. When can we go back to finding out our terminals O.R.? None of these suggestions are hard to fix, we hear of taking care of our customers. Why not prove it by, #1- listen to them, and react to their negative feelings of our management. #2- Discipline those that damage our freight, and our equipment. #3- Start listening to your drivers on the city routes. They are the best way to finding out our customers needs, instead of trying to shove something to them they don't want. How many more customers do we have to loose before someone starts to listen? Most of our customers say they are giving us the freight because of the driver. Not the company, when our rates are comparable to other carriers.

Eye opening, fear for job, and no trust in local management.

Current Employee - City Driver  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - City Driver in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at YRC Worldwide

Pros

Proud of 25+ years in of trucking. It has given myself and my family a very comfortable lifestyle. It is a good feeling when you are able to pay the bills and support your family.

Cons

There are times when the long hours, especially when you are mandatoried overtime when the hours are very long for one day. Local management has very little trust in the companies employees. This mistrust is shown when we are followed on our routes to see if there is something we are not doing correctly.

To please remember we are all in this together and if we can work together we as a unit will continue to make this company something we are all proud to work for.

Worked for YRC Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!