YSI

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

CEO

Good people, good work, bad management.

I worked at YSI

Pros

The people at YSI are excellent, highly-talented, and motivated. Save for a very small number of people, everyone is more than happy to share their knowledge, experience, and expertise which creates a successfully collaborative environment. YSI uses modern equipment and tools.

Cons

The management is widely viewed by almost the entire staff as unstable, and unpredictable. There have been frequent shake-ups within company at lower and middle management levels. Some on the management team are pushy and arrogant and micromanage. I saw this in my own experience and heard many tell of the same while working there. While they do use some modern equipment and tools, they definitely have nothing state of the art and management won't listen to justification for upgrading.

Lower management's expectations are a moving target, and they pretend to have a hands-off management style but in practice hover and micromanage every decision. The only time they remained truly hands-off resulted in projects getting far off their desired path before being steered back on course.

A smaller company called Design Analysis is owned by YSI and was easily the worst professional experience of my life.

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Logan, UT

I worked at YSI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

YSI has great technology and good people working for them the industry is very cool as well. the sub-company I worked for had outdated technology and laughable management.

Cons

Sales management was a joke. Petty, immature, egotistical, and sad would be the words used to describe the people that were supposed to be "managing" their sales team.

Disolve Design Analysis and use YSI technology and management to accomplish what they could not.