YSI Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
CEO

1. Work Like a Dog, Then Get Beaten Like One!

I worked at YSI full-time

Pros

1. Great diversity of tasks such as soldering, wiring, programming, assembling equipment, repairing equipment, and providing technical support.
    2. Opportunities to work outdoors and travel to beautiful and interesting places.
    3. Excellent benefits and an ample amount of paid time off.

Cons

1. Any suggestions employees have to offer are usually met with hostility, criticism, belittling comments, and threats of termination.
    2. If you take pride in your work and want to do the job right the first time, you will soon be made a pariah. The number one focus is on stuffing customers' equipment in a box and shoving it out the door by the due date. Quality of work takes a back seat to the due date, despite customers paying many thousands of dollars for their equipment.
    3. Customers pay Ferrari prices but get Yugo quality.
    4. Common sense is not common at this company.
    5. Putting in hard work and long hours is not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Make the quality of your work your number one focus, and meeting due dates second. Meeting due dates does not matter if the equipment does not work properly for the customer, whether they receive it on time or not. When customers pay high prices, they expect to receive high quality equipment which works reliably and lasts a long time.

Good people, good work, bad management.

I worked at YSI

Pros

The people at YSI are excellent, highly-talented, and motivated. Save for a very small number of people, everyone is more than happy to share their knowledge, experience, and expertise which creates a successfully collaborative environment. YSI uses modern equipment and tools.

Cons

The management is widely viewed by almost the entire staff as unstable, and unpredictable. There have been frequent shake-ups within company at lower and middle management levels. Some on the management team are pushy and arrogant and micromanage. I saw this in my own experience and heard many tell of the same while working there. While they do use some modern equipment and tools, they definitely have nothing state of the art and management won't listen to justification for upgrading.

Advice to Management

Lower management's expectations are a moving target, and they pretend to have a hands-off management style but in practice hover and micromanage every decision. The only time they remained truly hands-off resulted in projects getting far off their desired path before being steered back on course.

3. Good People, Dated Equipment, Micro Managers

I worked at YSI full-time

Pros

This company uses interesting technologies. They design and manufacture several of their own sensors in addition to creating sensors through integration. The people are very friendly. I have made several great friends over the course of my employ.

This company prides itself on delivering high quality products. If there is an issue with a product, they react quickly to correct it. This is why YSI has been one of the top companies in the life sciences, and water quality sectors. They are niche markets and the company focuses on keeping its customers happy.

Cons

In my opinion, I was not provided the correct tools to do my job. The tools I were given were very old. My computer freezes often and is quite slow. I believe it is difficult to design products that meet YSI's high quality standards with such dated equipment.

The management of this company favors micromanagement. My boss would routinely stand over my shoulder dictating exactly how a task should be performed. Some individuals may like this approach, I did not.

Advice to Management

Lose the egos. It is also very important to stay current with technologies.

5. A smaller company called Design Analysis is owned by YSI and was easily the worst professional experience of my life.

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Logan, UT

I worked at YSI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

YSI has great technology and good people working for them the industry is very cool as well. the sub-company I worked for had outdated technology and laughable management.

Cons

Sales management was a joke. Petty, immature, egotistical, and sad would be the words used to describe the people that were supposed to be "managing" their sales team.

Advice to Management

Disolve Design Analysis and use YSI technology and management to accomplish what they could not.

RSS Feed </> Embed